Pioneer VSX-923 issues (I'm in the UK) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 10-14-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all.

I'm in the UK and have recently bought a Pioneer VSX-923. I'm not sure if this model is available in the US?

I've been having a few problems with it and have posted about these on our AVforums. I've received a reply from someone who has told me that Pioneer amps have lots of issues and told me to head over here and I'd probably find alot of information.

I guess I'm just after finding out if anyone has any of these problems, or similar?

1. I've noticed that the amp speaker display light array 'freezes' occasionally when using any of the standard surround modes. Normally, with 5.1 the six lights are lit to show a 5.1 signal being received. The LFE channel light also has the little '(( ))' indicators. Then when a stereo source is input the display will just show left and right speakers to indicate a stereo source. However, I'm finding the amp sometimes gets stuck with 5.1 speaker indicator lights lit and the LFE indicator lights not flashing. This happens mainly with Sky digital TV with sound via co-ax. The problem also happened on another input...my WDTV Live Hub via HDMI. I was watching a 5.1 Dolby Digital .mkv file. The speaker indicator lights were lit (FL/FR/CTR/SURR L/SURR R/LFE). For no apparent reason, the LFE indicator froze and was permanently on, regardless of whether an LFE signal was present. When pausing playback on say, Sky or the WDTV (and thus no audio present), the speaker indicators will stay lit whereas normally they will all go out when no audio is present. Also, when this happens with Sky digital TV, the 5.1 lights stay lit even when Sky switches to a stereo input signal. Normally, the speaker indicator lights will just show the L and R lights lit.

It could be easy to assume the display is fine unless you notice that the LFE indicator has frozen.

2. Many Sky digital TV broadcasts have DD 5.1 that have commercial breaks in stereo or intros in stereo that then switch to DD 5.1. When these broadcasts automatically switch to DD 5.1 from stereo or vice versa, my amp makes a loud 'pop' from the speakers. This only happens with NeoX selected. Any other setting is fine. I like NeoX as it seems the best at utilising my front-wide speakers.

3. When I select INTERNET RADIO using the 'NET' button, it will play the station already selected. However, when I press either the up or down arrow buttons to scroll through stations it often won't scroll. This also happens with the 'favourites' option in that it'll play the last selected station but won't let me scroll through the saved stations.

I'm just wondering if any of you guys over there have had any similar issues?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-15-2013, 01:12 PM

My amp display lags occasionally when changing the volume and surround modes. It's been unresponsive to the remote too in the past, although standby worked.

I also have a bdp-450 blu ray and the audio from that just cuts out - I've only seen this on a couple of DVDs so far, after updating to the latest BIOS this weekend. I've had to reset the device a couple of times due to it freezing. I can cure the audio problem by pressing the auto/alc/direct button on the receiver.

I've not messed with any of the settings (PQLS etc) to see if they make a difference, but my kit is about 3 weeks old and I don't really see why I should have to. I'm quite pissed off with it at the moment to be honest.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-15-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antowen View Post

My amp display lags occasionally when changing the volume and surround modes. It's been unresponsive to the remote too in the past, although standby worked.

I also have a bdp-450 blu ray and the audio from that just cuts out - I've only seen this on a couple of DVDs so far, after updating to the latest BIOS this weekend. I've had to reset the device a couple of times due to it freezing. I can cure the audio problem by pressing the auto/alc/direct button on the receiver.

I've not messed with any of the settings (PQLS etc) to see if they make a difference, but my kit is about 3 weeks old and I don't really see why I should have to. I'm quite pissed off with it at the moment to be honest.

Hey there. Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

Which amp do you have? Is it one of the 2013 Pio's? When you say that the display 'lags', do you experience it freezing with the 5.1 lights staying lit/LFE signal indicator sticking even when your input source switches to a stereo input?

Mines not bothering me too much as I have the display off the majority of the time... but it'd be reassuring to know others have the same issue.

Is the 923 available in the US?
post #4 of 16 Old 10-15-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leamingtonspacem View Post

Which amp do you have? Is it one of the 2013 Pio's?

Mine is the Pioneer VSX-923-K like yours, with a manufacture date of May 2013.

Quote:
When you say that the display 'lags', do you experience it freezing with the 5.1 lights staying lit/LFE signal indicator sticking even when your input source switches to a stereo input?

To be honest, other than the actual volume level, I've not paid much attention to what was on the display while it happens. What I've noticed is that changing volume either doesn't work, or is quite slow, so if the level does change, the display won't show the new values in real-time, i.e. it will skip the intermediate dB levels and just show the final one

With regards to freezing, I've had the whole receiver unresponsive to the remote a couple of times, meaning I can't change the volume/surround settings, or select other inputs (I tried my PC and the radio, then mashed them all in turn, but nothing happened).

After a while, these problems go away and it goes back to normal.

I'm going to try with PQLS off for a few days, then try disabling HDM Control, etc. and see if they make a difference. I suppose I should make a note of what's on the display next time it happens, but I don't think it's caused by anything obvious.

Incidentally, if you telnet to the device, it outputs some of what it's doing to the terminal (e.g. ascii code in hex of characters output to the display, volume level, etc.), so that might also be worth monitoring. You can also feed commands to it over telnet, but I've not really spent much time messing with that. Info here: http://raymondjulin.com/2012/07/15/remote-control-your-pioneer-vsx-receiver-over-telnet/

I'm really impressed with the sound quality actually, but if it's going to be a pain in the arse to use, I'd sooner just send it back.

Quote:
Mines not bothering me too much as I have the display off the majority of the time... but it'd be reassuring to know others have the same issue.

I could probably live with not being able to change the surround and volume settings instantly, but to have sound drop out completely is a deal breaker for me. Ironically, I only noticed the sound dropping from a DVD after updating the BIOS (Update via Internet from the menu) over the weekend - I only did it to try and solve the lagging. The changelog says it's supposed to "improve stability of HDMI connection". My blu ray to receiver lead is <0.5M, but its 10M to my screen.

I sent an email to the company I bought it from tonight to see if they have any ideas and I'll chase Pioneer in a few days.

Oh.. I'm also pissed off with the receiver's remote too - luminous buttons are a nice way to save battery, but it never gets enough light, or holds enough of it to be any use in the dark!

Quote:
Is the 923 available in the US?

Dunno. I'm in the UK too! :-P
post #5 of 16 Old 10-16-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antowen View Post

Mine is the Pioneer VSX-923-K like yours, with a manufacture date of May 2013.
To be honest, other than the actual volume level, I've not paid much attention to what was on the display while it happens. What I've noticed is that changing volume either doesn't work, or is quite slow, so if the level does change, the display won't show the new values in real-time, i.e. it will skip the intermediate dB levels and just show the final one

With regards to freezing, I've had the whole receiver unresponsive to the remote a couple of times, meaning I can't change the volume/surround settings, or select other inputs (I tried my PC and the radio, then mashed them all in turn, but nothing happened).

After a while, these problems go away and it goes back to normal.

I'm going to try with PQLS off for a few days, then try disabling HDM Control, etc. and see if they make a difference. I suppose I should make a note of what's on the display next time it happens, but I don't think it's caused by anything obvious.

Incidentally, if you telnet to the device, it outputs some of what it's doing to the terminal (e.g. ascii code in hex of characters output to the display, volume level, etc.), so that might also be worth monitoring. You can also feed commands to it over telnet, but I've not really spent much time messing with that. Info here: http://raymondjulin.com/2012/07/15/remote-control-your-pioneer-vsx-receiver-over-telnet/

I'm really impressed with the sound quality actually, but if it's going to be a pain in the arse to use, I'd sooner just send it back.
I could probably live with not being able to change the surround and volume settings instantly, but to have sound drop out completely is a deal breaker for me. Ironically, I only noticed the sound dropping from a DVD after updating the BIOS (Update via Internet from the menu) over the weekend - I only did it to try and solve the lagging. The changelog says it's supposed to "improve stability of HDMI connection". My blu ray to receiver lead is <0.5M, but its 10M to my screen.

I sent an email to the company I bought it from tonight to see if they have any ideas and I'll chase Pioneer in a few days.

Oh.. I'm also pissed off with the receiver's remote too - luminous buttons are a nice way to save battery, but it never gets enough light, or holds enough of it to be any use in the dark!

Dunno. I'm in the UK too! :-P

If you're in the UK you might want to post on the AVforums. I've been posting there myself.

I've tried disabling HDMI control and PQLS but no change.

Are you pressing the 'receiver' button on the remote? If you don't press that first then the remote won't respond to the functions below it. The volume does go up slowly at first then speeds up. I'm using a Harmony ONE with mine so the actual remote is pretty much redundant. I've also started using the control app on my Android phone. Makes using Internet Radio so much simpler.

Cheers for all your input so far, let me know how it goes.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-16-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:

If you're in the UK you might want to post on the AVforums. I've been posting there myself.

Ahh, nice one, thanks for the info - I'll check the 923 thread later.
Quote:
I've tried disabling HDMI control and PQLS but no change.

Hmm... OK, fair enough.

Quote:
Are you pressing the 'receiver' button on the remote? If you don't press that first then the remote won't respond to the functions below it. The volume does go up slowly at first then speeds up. I'm using a Harmony ONE with mine so the actual remote is pretty much redundant.

Yeah, the input selector controls the function of some of the other buttons - that was my first thought actually. It's definitely not the acceleration of the volume thing, as you can clearly see and hear it do nothing for a few steps, then suddenly jump quite a few 0.5 dB steps in an instant.
Quote:
I've also started using the control app on my Android phone. Makes using Internet Radio so much simpler.

The interface on the receiver is really dated and tedious, so I'd already downloaded the Android app before the receiver arrived, but it says the device isn't controllable, so that could also indicate a problem with it. I tend to use xbmc most of the time for my A/V anyway, so the receiver is just for my PC, video disks and FM radio. I suppose it's quite underutilised really!
Quote:
Cheers for all your input so far, let me know how it goes.

No worries. Incidentally, following my email to the supplier (http://exceptional-av.co.uk/), asking if they had any suggestions, they said they'd just send a courier and pick it up tomorrow, then get one of their service centres to check it out. I can't really complain about that, as long as they don't take too long to return it. Good luck with yours - I'll post an update here if/when it comes back!
post #7 of 16 Old 10-17-2013, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mine was from ExceptionalAV too!

Yes, let me know how you get on...cheers.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-31-2013, 02:35 PM

Exceptional AV said the Pioneer technicians "have soak tested your unit for 5 days with no detrimental effects", but were going to keep at it for a few more days, so I should expect it back some time next week. I mentioned I wasn't happy with Pioneer at the moment, due to the blu ray crashing all the time and they wondered if the problem could be that, but I can't really mess with it until I get the receiver back!

I've already spoken with the suppliers of the BDP-450 (audiblefidelity.co.uk), who said they were happy to hang on for me to do some more tests once I got the receiver back, but it wouldn't be a problem swapping it if continues to annoy me. They've only recently started selling Pioneer kit apparently.

Anyway, that's all the news I have at the moment!
post #9 of 16 Old 11-10-2013, 05:15 AM

Hi

The receiver came back on Friday, so I was without it for exactly 3 weeks.

Pioneer couldn't find a problem, so all they did, which was probably exactly the same thing I did when it first started playing up, was factory reset it.

I've not seen the volume lag from the Blu Ray yet, although a new BDP-450 BIOS was released on Thursday, which did fix a few bugs (such as the one that causes it to repeatedly eject disks when it comes back on after powersave). The only receiver settings I don't remember disabling last time was on-screen display, which is now off.

I've had the following problems this weekend, so there's definitely still something wrong somewhere:

I've twice had no sound from two separate video disks. First was Pink Floyd's concert "Pulse", DVD. I switched to Dolby Digital 5.1 / 640 kbps via the DVD options and ran the disk's speaker tests. A few tests worked but after that, silence. A few hours later, I had issues with a Blu Ray of "Kill List" - this has two soundtracks: Stereo LPCM and DTS-HD. The stereo worked fine, but not the DTS. I can't remember what I reset to fix this, i.e. power off at the wall for both, or just resetting the Blu Ray. I suspect these were 450-related, but I can't be certain.

The 923 has locked up at least twice when switching inputs (can't remember exactly which, but it would have only been between Blu Ray, Tuner or PC). A blue screen was output to the projector and front the display was unresponsive. It would still switch to standby using the remote and this cleared the problem both times.

This morning, I switched the tuner on and that appears to have locked up now. Preset is stuck on A4 (Radio 4) and none of the other options are functional. Pressing some show their function, e.g. DISP just shows PTY, or MPX stays on MONO, but they won't change between to other options. Of course, all these blend into insignificance when compared to the main problem with the radio: there's no effin sound!

I think it's safe to say that I'm going to try and send it back for good this time. I've had enough of Pioneer after this experience.

Ant
post #10 of 16 Old 11-15-2013, 03:02 PM

Further update:

I sent the Pioneer amp back on Tuesday (12th Nov). Apart from the crashing, I thought it sounded great and still think Pioneer hardware is very good, but their firmware is utter shite.

I decided to go for overkill and get a Denon AVR-X4000, which arrived today. I've only been messing with it it for a few hours, but I'm really happy with it so far.

This Denon sounds AMAZING. It definitely produces more defined, detailed and punchy sound, with better separation between the channels (I have Q Acoustics concept 20 front, Q Acoustics 2000Ci Centre, a Pioneer S-21w sub and the surround speakers from my old Pioneer kit); it also reproduces voice a lot more clearly, so I can even watch stuff late at night with normal volume and not upset the neighbours (or resort to subtitles)!

I had loads of HDMI sync hassles with my dodgy Acer K330 LED projector to begin with, but everything started to be behave a lot better when I forced the receiver to use 1080p instead of letting it try and auto-detect everything. The Pioneer wouldn't let me do that.

The Denon setup menus are crash-free, nice and fast, well laid out, just like the inputs: even though I have banana plugs, it just felt so much easier to connect everything up. Overall, the whole experience is more refined, hassle-free and definitely worth the extra (~double!) cost!

The Pioneer Blu Ray player still crashes by the way, so I'll do something about that next week. I'd sooner replace it for a different
make and screw Pioneer to be honest - all this mess has put me off Pioneer completely now :-(

Also, just for the record: Exceptional AV were beyond exceptional sorting this out. I've used them a few times and will definitely use them again! :-D
post #11 of 16 Old 02-02-2014, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Hey all.

I'm in the UK and have recently bought a Pioneer VSX-923. I'm not sure if this model is available in the US?

I've been having a few problems with it and have posted about these on our AVforums. I've received a reply from someone who has told me that Pioneer amps have lots of issues and told me to head over here and I'd probably find alot of information.

I guess I'm just after finding out if anyone has any of these problems, or similar?

1. I've noticed that the amp speaker display light array 'freezes' occasionally when using any of the standard surround modes. Normally, with 5.1 the six lights are lit to show a 5.1 signal being received. The LFE channel light also has the little '(( ))' indicators. Then when a stereo source is input the display will just show left and right speakers to indicate a stereo source.
I'm just wondering if any of you guys over there have had any similar issues?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I have had the same issues with my Pioneer SC 1222 display freezing (staying on 5.1 when the source has changed to 2.0) only thing that gets it back is pushing standard audio and then back.. What was your solution?

<><

RTR
post #12 of 16 Old 02-05-2014, 12:02 PM

Hello,

Possible solution, it worked for me.

Two weeks ago I bought a second hand vsx-923S, installed it last Friday, but during the weekend and the past week it’s reactions to the remote were slow or none at all.

After ruling out the kids and wife messing with the remote, i almost immediately suspected the satellite receiver or it’s remote

Sometimes it reacted to actions from the receiver/remote by showing channel information.

But this is the only way for us to watch tv channels, so I had to think about a way to test it without losing tv channels (wife and kids remember)

So at first I was avoiding it. Ruled out the LAN connection and displaying receiver info on tv settings ON and OFF.

Yesterday I disconnected the satellite receiver from the pioneer and connected it to a HDMI on the TV, audio bij ARC to the pioneer. Two thumbs up, it works fine now.

The SAT was connected to the HDMI-2, the SAT input. This was also the standard standby pass through. I have to say that the SAT was always on, the remote on/off does not work anymore.

So the pioneer was always working in standby pas through. When it was connected to the pioneer I noticed the 5.1  speakers were always illuminated, even LFE was and I chose the option 5.1 and  no SUB.

Now through ARC only stereo front are illuminated.

Maybe I can do some more test in the future to determine the cause, but remember wife and kids, so timing is of the essence.

May be you could try a similar action on your set up, hope this was helpful.

other connections are:

BD and WDTV through HDMI

DVD to COAX audio and video not rgb but the other one

XBOX classic analog in

Cd analog in is connected to a DAC which has a squeezebox on the COAX input.

I’m not using the internet radio or streaming (NAS) on de pioneer, I use the squeezebox.

I'm in The Netherlands by the way.

post #13 of 16 Old 03-02-2014, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
thanks for the response

<><

RTR
post #14 of 16 Old 03-02-2014, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny Rabbelaar View Post

Hello,

Possible solution, it worked for me.

Two weeks ago I bought a second hand vsx-923S, installed it last Friday, but during the weekend and the past week it’s reactions to the remote were slow or none at all.
After ruling out the kids and wife messing with the remote, i almost immediately suspected the satellite receiver or it’s remote
Sometimes it reacted to actions from the receiver/remote by showing channel information.
But this is the only way for us to watch tv channels, so I had to think about a way to test it without losing tv channels (wife and kids remember)
So at first I was avoiding it. Ruled out the LAN connection and displaying receiver info on tv settings ON and OFF.

Yesterday I disconnected the satellite receiver from the pioneer and connected it to a HDMI on the TV, audio bij ARC to the pioneer. Two thumbs up, it works fine now.

The SAT was connected to the HDMI-2, the SAT input. This was also the standard standby pass through. I have to say that the SAT was always on, the remote on/off does not work anymore.
So the pioneer was always working in standby pas through. When it was connected to the pioneer I noticed the 5.1  speakers were always illuminated, even LFE was and I chose the option 5.1 and  no SUB.
Now through ARC only stereo front are illuminated.

Maybe I can do some more test in the future to determine the cause, but remember wife and kids, so timing is of the essence.

May be you could try a similar action on your set up, hope this was helpful.

other connections are:
BD and WDTV through HDMI
DVD to COAX audio and video not rgb but the other one
XBOX classic analog in
Cd analog in is connected to a DAC which has a squeezebox on the COAX input.
I’m not using the internet radio or streaming (NAS) on de pioneer, I use the squeezebox.

I'm in The Netherlands by the way.

Thanks for your reply.

Is it possible you could explain a little more clearly how you solved the issue? I got a bit lost reading your post.

Thank you :-)
post #15 of 16 Old 03-04-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your reply.

Is it possible you could explain a little more clearly how you solved the issue? I got a bit lost reading your post.

Thank you :-)

I'll try,

All I did was disconnect the satellite HDMI from the Pioneer VSX-923.

The Pioneer is connected to the HDMI input with ARC function. In my case HDMI number 2 on the TV.

The satellite is directly connected to HDMI input number 1 on the TV.

So picture and audio from satellite receiver to tv, audio from tv to Pioneer by ARC function.

DVD, BLu RAy is connected to the pioneer and from the pioneer by HDMI to the TV.

Ronny

post #16 of 16 Old 03-14-2014, 01:59 AM

Hi all, I feel like I want to give my opinion on this thing. I was looking for a single device that is able to play one single or two different audio sources simultaneously in two hard-wired zones. For me I looked like this 923 should be able to handle this, but I was completely wrong. First thing I noticed was that the Receiver completely cluttered with bloat features that 95% of the people don't ever use. The Remote was the most confusing user-unfriendly thing I ever had in hands. The Setup looked like a leftover from the Stone Age. I thought, if it does the job I can overlook this. Anyway, this is what I found after 2 hours fiddling:

ZONE 2 setup:

• You can't play any digital source in zone 2
  • In zone 2 it's not possible to play the same audio as in the main zone if the source is digital. The only source available in zone 2 is tuner or the analog CD input
  • The hdzone has no relation to Zone 2 it's a basic hdmi switcher

Speaker B Setup:

• In this mode it is possible to play same Audio in two groups A and B, but the group B has a very annoying delay.
  • You can't ajust the volume of the B group

Audio Processing:

• Surprisingly the amp sounds very good and detailed if all processing bloat is turned off

Video Processing:

• on the main HDMI output the receiver does some strange video processing, altering colors and black levels. and on top of that adding delay, I think gamers love that ;)
  • it doesn't do this on the secondary HDMI, there it just passes through. why should a amplifier process the video stream anyway?

I thought this was enough bad experience for me. After owning this consumer junk for 24h i brought it back to the store.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page