When using Audyssey do you use Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: When using Audyssey do you use Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume?
Audyssey with Dynamic EQ off. 12 23.53%
Audyssey with Dynamic EQ on with Dynamic Volume off. 30 58.82%
Audyssey with Dynamic EQ on with Dynamic Volume on. 5 9.80%
Audyssey with Dynamic EQ on with Dynamic Volume on or off varies with the source. 4 7.84%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 10-15-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 485
I have been using Audyssey with Dynamic EQ off with my 4311. But after watching football on Fox over the weekend with the volume differences during commercials I decided to try it. I found D EQ with D Volume (Day) enabled helped with the volume issues. But with music I disabled D Volume as I felt it wasn't needed. Being new to using D EQ and D Volume I found that the volume level setting differences were quite higher than without. So I thought I would start my first poll to see if others used D EQ with or without D Volume. If those taking the poll could post what their thoughts are on D EQ and D Volume that would be great smile.gif.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-15-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I use DEQ without Audyssey. It's a great functionality to main perceived loudness at all volumes. Don't use Dynamic Volume.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #3 of 20 Old 10-15-2013, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

I use DEQ without Audyssey. It's a great functionality to main perceived loudness at all volumes. Don't use Dynamic Volume.

I thought you had to have Audyssey on to use D EQ?

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #4 of 20 Old 10-15-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 555
I have an AVR-X4000 and I don't use either Dynamic EQ or Dynamic Volume:
- the former because I don't like how it boosts surround levels and seems to bloat* bass; and
- the latter because I don't have concerns about volume swings (I'm either watching a movie or listening to music).

(*It's not really bloated but - to my ears, and for lack of a better way to describe it - it sounds unnaturally weighted.)
post #5 of 20 Old 10-15-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

I have an AVR-X4000 and I don't use either Dynamic EQ or Dynamic Volume:
- the former because I don't like how it boosts surround levels and seems to bloat* bass; and
- the latter because I don't have concerns about volume swings (I'm either watching a movie or listening to music).

(*It's not really bloated but - to my ears, and for lack of a better way to describe it - it sounds unnaturally weighted.)

eljay,

Thanks for your thoughts smile.gif. I'm listening to Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth DTS CD and I tried listening with D EQ on and off. I have to agree with you in that bass levels are somewhat enhanced. If you wouldn't mind could you select the "Audyssey with Dynamic EQ off" poll selection. I'm going to have to give this some thought as to if using D EQ is the way to go. How does one change their poll choice if they change their mind?

Bill

post #6 of 20 Old 10-15-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you wouldn't mind could you select the "Audyssey with Dynamic EQ off" poll selection.
I'll do that when I get home this evening, as I can't select an option here at work. (The way the web servers have been set up, some of the scripting on this site - and on other sites - is disabled. frown.gif )

-- Edit --
I've cast my vote. smile.gif
post #7 of 20 Old 10-15-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I thought you had to have Audyssey on to use D EQ?

You are right; but I have CA Azur 751R receiver, which allows using DEQ without audyssey. And that's a fantastic provision on CA.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #8 of 20 Old 10-15-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'll do that when I get home this evening, as I can't select an option here at work.

(The way the web servers have been set up, some of the scripting on this site - and on other sites - is disabled.)

Thanks smile.gif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

You are right; but I have CA Azur 751R receiver, which allows using DEQ without audyssey. And that's a fantastic provision on CA.

That's a nice option on the CA smile.gif.

Bill

post #9 of 20 Old 10-15-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
... I have CA Azur 751R receiver, which allows using DEQ without audyssey.
Interesting. According to pg. 20 of the owner's manual (PDF):
- if you don't run the three-position Audyssey 2EQ - if you run just the one-position Audyssey Autosetup - you can select Dynamic EQ anyway; but
- if you do run the three-position Audyssey 2EQ, it must be 'ON' in order to select Dynamic EQ.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-15-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

- if you don't run the three-position Audyssey 2EQ - if you run just the one-position Audyssey Autosetup - you can select Dynamic EQ anyway; but
- if you do run the three-position Audyssey 2EQ, it must be 'ON' in order to select Dynamic EQ.

That is interesting. If Dynamic EQ works in tandem with MultEQ then is using D EQ without MultEQ like using a basic loudness setting? In other words does D EQ boost all frequencies at the same levels?

Bill

post #11 of 20 Old 10-15-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Forget about what the manual says; DEQ works without even touching audyssey. I don't use audyssey anyway. Just level match the speakers, set distances, and engage DEQ. Fantatstic performance!!!

The best EQ is no EQ ...

post #12 of 20 Old 10-15-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If Dynamic EQ works in tandem with MultEQ then is using D EQ without MultEQ like using a basic loudness setting?

Yes; you can call it the good old Loudness button.
Quote:
In other words does D EQ boost all frequencies at the same levels?

I think so. I once checked it in REW. It does pick up low quite a lot when DEQ is engaged sort of like a house curve; but I only checked it on 15-150Hz sweep. It wasn't a full range sweep.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

post #13 of 20 Old 10-15-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I only just started using DEQ yesterday: I picked up an Onkyo 818 just over a week ago and find that BluRay sound is very good using Audyssey (after an 8 point calibration) along with an external power amp to drive my MK150 series speakers.

However I find that lower level TV listening is a bit 'thin' sounding, so the lowest setting, which seems to be 'ON' and the 15dB option (from 0/5/10/15dB choices) just adds a small amount of 'warmth' to the sound. However this is just using -25dB below reference level. When watching films/concerts on my projector I tend to listen at -10dB and DEQ on spoils the sound IMHO, but since I tend to use a THX setting for BluRay this automatically turns off DEQ for me,so a neat solution to get the sound I want at the levels I want to listen at.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #14 of 20 Old 10-15-2013, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Being in a condo I use the Dynamic Eq all the time. Dynamic volume for TV watching, however I try not to use it when watching blu-rays. However for late night viewing dynamic volume is nice to have. I also use dynamic volume to boost soundtracks that have low dialog mixes.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-15-2013, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I tend to use Dynamic EQ with movies a lot more than music. With music I feel that with Dynamic EQ the bass feels bloated.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-20-2013, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Yup, both on. I don't know why, but dynamic volume massively increases dynamics/detail of everything with my current speaker, it is so awesome.
post #17 of 20 Old 10-20-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 158
D volume actually decreases dynamics. A little compression can sound exciting and will pull low level details forward
post #18 of 20 Old 10-20-2013, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'd leave both Off generally.

I believe Dynamic EQ is based on the Fletcher–Munson curves of loudness and frequency sensitivity of human hearing and calibrated against the AVRs 0db Reference Level.  So if your source input is too loud and you turn down the level on your AVR, say to -30db, there'll be too much (mainly Bass) compensation applied.  You'll notice with DVDs over HDMI cable (digital audio input) you have to bring your AVR to -10db, -5db or even higher. This is because DVDs are calibrated to a standard reference level.  Audio CDs and digital downloads don't have any universally-agreed reference level and all try be be louder than their competition, thereby overloading the calibration and causing your sound to be (primarily) Bass heavy, muddy and unclear.

You can use one trick to calibrate your audio: play the DVD and CD of the same recording and adjust the source output of the CD system so both are at a similar loudness.  That way you have a sort of reference going forwards, and if an audio file is louder or softer than another, adjust the source levels, not the AVR level.  Make the change in Input Settings, Source Level.

The other solution, since CDs vary in loudness, is to use MediaMonkey as your playback source and set it's Volume Leveling to 85db.  You might be shocked to see many recordings are on average more than 13db louder than they should be - what a waste of the potential dynamic range digital recordings can offer!

Or turn On Dynamic EQ only for DVDs.

Re the Dynamic Vol settings, it reduces the differences between the loudest and softest sounds.  Great if you're watching an action movie late at night and don't want that bomb blast to wake the rest of your family or your neighbors   I even use it with background music for when I'm having a dinner party.  Turn it Off of course when you want the full dynamic range of your music and movies to come through.

Cheers

skris88

Cairns, Australia

post #19 of 20 Old 10-20-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post

Yup, both on. I don't know why, but dynamic volume massively increases dynamics/detail of everything with my current speaker, it is so awesome.
nope tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

D volume actually decreases dynamics. A little compression can sound exciting and will pull low level details forward
yup wink.gif

i used dynamic eq for pretty much everything. dynamic volume gets turned on when extreme low level listening is required...mostly really late at night.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #20 of 20 Old 11-19-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I was getting awful results with DEQ at first. It made everything boomy and harsh and voice unintelligible. Then, when I got everything set up properly - multiple subs, MultiEQ more focused at the MLP, speakers on stands, sub level offset at 0db, and some sound treatment. Now DEQ sounds spectacular for movies and music. I think if there are other problems it can make things worse, but once the problems are solved it can make things great.

I'm not using dynamic volume, but I think I will make the presets select it for those times when I want to dial back the dynamics (late at night or not in the mood for high dynamics). Not my default setting, though, and never for music.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page