Setting up an older Pioneer VSX 309 receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-15-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey fellas, hope everyone enjoyed a great Thanksgiving Day long weekend! biggrin.gif
Now, on to business! tongue.gif

I've decided to "fire up" my old amp and hook up my speakers to my BR player now that I've bought a center channel and have some nice stands to put my surround speakers on. I need help with these settings because I can't really afford to go out and buy a spl meter and can't hook up a mic to this thing. What should I be setting the speakers/amp to?

These are in order by the way:

Subwoofer: I have it set to "ON" with PLUS (this shoots bass to my fronts as well as my sub) Is this recommended for a 5.1 system? My amp has DD and DTS only, no DD+ or newer codecs.

Crossover Freq: Default is 100. I can choose 150 or 200 hz. Your suggestions? I have 10" front cones (one per speaker). They are 3 way speakers that are approx 20 yrs old.

LFE attenuator: can choose 0 or 10 db. Your suggestions? My sub is 10" and cone faces forward, not downwards. Also, what should I set the knobs on the back of it to? Set both to the half way mark or higher?

Low cut filter: Default I believe is 200. what should I do? My surrounds btw are Cerwin Vega LS5. Only 5 inch cones with a single tweeter.

Front, Center and Surround distance setting? Is that the distance from the amp to the speaker? From the front to surrounds?

Dynamic Range: Should I have this on or off?

Dual Mono Setting: Have no idea what this is. Suggestions/help? 99% of my movies are in 5.1 and the odd one is 2.1 so do I need this setting on?

One last thing: What should my independent speaker volume (balance) be set to? I currently have all my speakers set to +8 db I believe. I notice my surrounds don't sound very loud. What should I do? Please give me some numbers you suggest.

I currently have my amp set to : FL, CS, SS (Front Large, Center Small, Surrounds Small)

My manual suggests that if you cone size is less than 10 inches, you should set speakers to small.

I look forward to hearing back from you pros! Thanks a bunch! smile.gif

Oh, am I on a budge so I was only able to pick up 18 gauge wire. Good enough or not? This setup is in a small room (20 x 20 approx).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-16-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I don't like to bump threads but I was hoping someone in here could help answer my questions.

Where are the mods with years of experience? tongue.gif Help me!!!

I would appreciate any feedback, please.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-16-2013, 08:36 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggyg1 View Post

Hey fellas, hope everyone enjoyed a great Thanksgiving Day long weekend! biggrin.gif
Now, on to business! tongue.gif

I've decided to "fire up" my old amp and hook up my speakers to my BR player now that I've bought a center channel and have some nice stands to put my surround speakers on. I need help with these settings because I can't really afford to go out and buy a spl meter and can't hook up a mic to this thing. What should I be setting the speakers/amp to?

These are in order by the way:
Quote:
Subwoofer: I have it set to "ON" with PLUS (this shoots bass to my fronts as well as my sub) Is this recommended for a 5.1 system?

The better practice would be to be sure your bookshelf speakers are set to "small" and put the subwoofer on On. Remove the Plus. That way the sub will handle all the low bass and not conflict with what the mains are doing.
Quote:
My amp has DD and DTS only, no DD+ or newer codecs.

The receiver will use whatever it has available to decode. My receiver defaults to "TXH Cinema" when it encounters one of the new codecs.
Quote:
Crossover Freq: Default is 100. I can choose 150 or 200 hz. Your suggestions? I have 10" front cones (one per speaker). They are 3 way speakers that are approx 20 yrs old.

Without knowing the frequency response of your speakers I would just suggest using whatever sounds best. I would not go above 100, however. The mid bass frequencies begin to become directional and you want them coming from the main speakers.
Quote:
LFE attenuator: can choose 0 or 10 db. Your suggestions? My sub is 10" and cone faces forward, not downwards. Also, what should I set the knobs on the back of it to? Set both to the half way mark or higher?

Use whatever your sub needs. Does the receiver have bass management? If so then set the volume to 1/2 and the crossover to wide open and let the room calibration software adjust and manage the subwoofer. If it does not, then adjust them by ear.
Quote:
Low cut filter: Default I believe is 200. what should I do? My surrounds btw are Cerwin Vega LS5. Only 5 inch cones with a single tweeter.

Use 100 if you are using 100 as your sub crossover frequency.
Quote:
Front, Center and Surround distance setting? Is that the distance from the amp to the speaker? From the front to surrounds?

No, it is distance of the speakers from the listening position. If you have MCACC then let it handle these things. If not, measure and input the numbers.
Quote:
Dynamic Range: Should I have this on or off?

Probably.
Quote:
Dual Mono Setting: Have no idea what this is. Suggestions/help? 99% of my movies are in 5.1 and the odd one is 2.1 so do I need this setting on?

No.
Quote:
One last thing: What should my independent speaker volume (balance) be set to? I currently have all my speakers set to +8 db I believe. I notice my surrounds don't sound very loud. What should I do? Please give me some numbers you suggest.

If you have MCACC then use that. If not, adjust by ear.
Quote:
I currently have my amp set to : FL, CS, SS (Front Large, Center Small, Surrounds Small)

Since you have a sub put everything to small.
Quote:
Oh, am I on a budge so I was only able to pick up 18 gauge wire. Good enough or not? This setup is in a small room (20 x 20 approx).

It will be fine. The wire sluts will disagree but I laid 18 ga wire under my floor when I installed the new floor and it has served me well.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-16-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I wish I had MCACC or another audio calibration tool that did all the work for me. frown.gif

Thanks again. If anyone else wishes to add to this thread please feel free to do so. I'm all ears at this point! wink.gif
post #5 of 9 Old 04-17-2014, 05:14 AM

I just got this tv today 60 Sharp, and im doing OPTICAL out tv to my 5.1 reciver.. do i have to to anything on the TV settings to make the sound go out to tv into reciver? I have my tv/sat button on the reciver, but no sound coming from my reciever. I also have the coxical OUT DTV box into the reciever, are these causing issues together?
When i do DVD button on remote reciever, i get great surround sound coming out because is coming from DTV box to reciever.. I just want the tv to reciever to work also for Nexfilx
Thank You
ooo i have this reciever also.
So i called Sharp to get some help for some reason when i watch Nexflix and i have OPT digital out from TV to my IN OPT digital in, i get no sound coming from my Pioneer receiver, tv/sat button on remote receiver works, but the digital signal will not pick it up..so no sound even after we made changes on the settings tv ,

My DTV box is COX out into COX in receiver. They said that it wont' work, WTF???????? does not make sense. When i watch DTV shows and press the correct signal, 5.1 rocks out of my receiver. Any idea, clues, helpp, 911, im so lost.

So sounds liks a setting on reciever.. I turn off all DTV box, unhook all..So i was streaming Netflix ONLY, and could not get reciever to pick up DD signal when i select tv/sat button. I even played with SIGNAL Select.. Am i doing something wrong?
post #6 of 9 Old 04-17-2014, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigrigatoni View Post

I just got this tv today 60 Sharp, and im doing OPTICAL out tv to my 5.1 reciver.. do i have to to anything on the TV settings to make the sound go out to tv into reciver? I have my tv/sat button on the reciver, but no sound coming from my reciever. I also have the coxical OUT DTV box into the reciever, are these causing issues together?
When i do DVD button on remote reciever, i get great surround sound coming out because is coming from DTV box to reciever.. I just want the tv to reciever to work also for Nexfilx
Thank You
ooo i have this reciever also.
So i called Sharp to get some help for some reason when i watch Nexflix and i have OPT digital out from TV to my IN OPT digital in, i get no sound coming from my Pioneer receiver, tv/sat button on remote receiver works, but the digital signal will not pick it up..so no sound even after we made changes on the settings tv ,

My DTV box is COX out into COX in receiver. They said that it wont' work, WTF???????? does not make sense. When i watch DTV shows and press the correct signal, 5.1 rocks out of my receiver. Any idea, clues, helpp, 911, im so lost.

So sounds liks a setting on reciever.. I turn off all DTV box, unhook all..So i was streaming Netflix ONLY, and could not get reciever to pick up DD signal when i select tv/sat button. I even played with SIGNAL Select.. Am i doing something wrong?

I'd guess that you have to go into the receiver settings and assign whatever optical input the optical cable from thr TV is plugged into as the tv/sat input. You need to tell the receiver to go look for the signal from that optical input when you press the TV/Sat button
post #7 of 9 Old 04-17-2014, 10:40 AM

Jus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyrees View Post

I'd guess that you have to go into the receiver settings and assign whatever optical input the optical cable from thr TV is plugged into as the tv/sat input. You need to tell the receiver to go look for the signal from that optical input when you press the TV/Sat button
Just as you said it...your correct i found the manual and i have to assign the OPT to tv which i have never done before, but did with COX.

Think i found my answer gang.. I just notice i need to scroll up or down to make it OPT (tv) like i did with COX on the DVD.. here is the link
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/vgn/images/portal/cit_11221/49509ARB7214A_20001230941205030.pdf
page 19
post #8 of 9 Old 04-17-2014, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
cool! good luck
post #9 of 9 Old 04-17-2014, 04:52 PM

All set gang it work. It's was setting switch on remote to justify tv/sat is OPT coming in
Now I can enjoy Netflix in DD 5.1 ss
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx D309 Audio Video Receiver
Gear in this thread - D309 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page