Protection mode. Bad power strip or maybe power cord? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bought the Denon X4000 as a refurbished unit & it's been going into protection mode lately. Took it to an authorized service shop last week & they ran it many hours & found nothing. After watching only a little TV on normal volume last week, it did it again. The unit was barely warm to the touch on top. I unplugged each speaker one by one hoping to find a bad one. Got through them all & nothing. Every time I powered the Denon up, it would shut itself back down. Tried it after every single speaker wire was unplugged. Unplugged all HDMI & then RCA cables (for external amp) too. Still powered down when turned on (light blinks red off & on). Then I unplugged the Denon from the power strip & plugged it into a different wall outlet & it came on again. About 10 minutes later I plugged it back into the power strip it was in & it worked there too. Any ideas here?

2 things come to my mind. Bad power strip (although it is a good one & appears to be working OK) or possibly even a bad AC power cord for the Denon? Is there certain specs on these power cords someone can give me to make sure I was sent the right one? It looks the same as the one for my PCs. Does that sound right? Appreciate any help here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-15-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Did the shop run it with speakers attached? Doubt it's the power causing the issue if you're not having other electrical issues; also doubt very much it's the power cord but many of them are universal so if you have one you can swap try that. This is always at a relatively low volume? What speakers are you using? You sure there's no short in the connections/wire?

post #3 of 6 Old 10-15-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

No they never connected speakers to my knowledge. I'm using different speakers brand for each set. But checked with Denon & the ranges were all OK. I did run a Denon 988 right before this for years with no issues & the same exact speakers. Wouldn't a speaker issue have been found if I unlpugged each one & powered it up right afterward & that bad speaker or wire was unplugged at that point?
I am having a low static issue too if that may be related? While running Audyssey (before the test tones even started) I could hear a little static from a couple of random speakers. Now my rear surrounds have a little static here & there. Could this be caused from loose connection at the posts? I’m using banana plugs there.
I own a multimeter. Are there any tests I could do to check each speaker wire by itself? If so, please elaborate on how because I’ve barely used the multimeter.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-15-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
After the testing that was done, the obvious is try a different power bar especially if you have no issues when plugged directly into the wall.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-15-2013, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, I bought one immediately & used it on a different outlet. Just asking if perhaps my power cable was wrong. Or in case it happens again soon so I can troubleshoot other areas. Just need to figure out this speaker static thing now. It's always something!
post #6 of 6 Old 10-15-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

After the testing that was done, the obvious is try a different power bar especially if you have no issues when plugged directly into the wall.

In this light, how long did you leave it plugged into the wall directly and did it work well that way? If so then look at the power strip for sure, they can go bad (I've had a few over the years). I took it to mean you just briefly used the wall outlet myself....unplugging should reset the avr in any case so unless you use another power source long term hard to know what that means....

As to the static in your speakers it sound likely the connections might not be ideal, are your bananas not snugly fitting or have some corrosion or such?

Using multimeter to test speaker wire I'm not sure, but a search should come up with a procedure.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - X4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page