Which receiver to use as a main - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two receivers, Harman Kardon AVR254 (been using this since 2009 and has no issues that I know of) and Denon 1612 (just bought it used off of CL yesterday and it's in excellent shape) and I'd like to ask which receiver is overall better than the other. I like the convenience that Denon 1612 has a USB port in the front to which I assume I can connect my iPhone 5 and USB thumb drive, but not sure which one has better sound quality.

My speakers are Cambridge S30's for front, Boston Acoustics CS-225C center (I'm not sure if I'll be using the Boston or just S30's) and BIC PL-200 subwoofer.

Which receiver would you recommend as a main receiver? The other receiver will be set up in my upstair loft with smaller speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Hook one up, give it a listen. Hook the other one up, give it a listen. Go with the one that sounds best to you.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

I'll try. Hope my ears can tell the difference between the two smile.gif
post #4 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 02:12 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 817
The only sonic differences would be generated by the room calibration software. Don't worry about the sound. Make sure the units have the features and connectivity you need in whichever location you intend to use them.
eljaycanuck likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 577
post #6 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 413
The HK can probably handle 4 ohm loads better but your 8 ohm speakers wont be a problem with either receiver.

Go with the one that sounds best to you.

Afro GT
post #7 of 8 Old 10-16-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

I did connect two receivers to my speaker setup last night and found a subwoofer output on the Denon 1612 somehow did not work. The BIC PL-200 did not make any sound when connected to the Denon via RCA cable and I did check the settings on Denon to make sure the subwoofer is turned on. It also failed to recognize a mic for room calibration several times. I bought it used from an old guy in CL and he agreed to take it back. He bought it refurbished last year and did not use since then (It did look pretty new).

So, I put my HK 254 receiver back and I do like the GUI of HK much better than that of Denon even thought it's an older model. Denon's GUI was just terrible and not intuitive at all like what I find in 90's. It also looked like HK also has more detailed settings available and better connectivity with more number of ports. I'm not sure about the room calibration software since I was not able to get it to work on Denon.

HK receiver serves my needs other than easier connectivity with my iPhone (Airplay support would be awesome to have!). I have it connected vis AUX port but I'm sure it'll sound better through other connections. By the way, when I connected my iPhone 5 via front USB port on Denon it did recognize the device and displayed song name and etc, but did not produce any sound. Not sure if it's defective or not compatible with iPhone 5 on iOS7.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-16-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherishzm1730 View Post

I did connect two receivers to my speaker setup last night and found a subwoofer output on the Denon 1612 somehow did not work. The BIC PL-200 did not make any sound when connected to the Denon via RCA cable and I did check the settings on Denon to make sure the subwoofer is turned on. It also failed to recognize a mic for room calibration several times. I bought it used from an old guy in CL and he agreed to take it back. He bought it refurbished last year and did not use since then (It did look pretty new).

So, I put my HK 254 receiver back and I do like the GUI of HK much better than that of Denon even thought it's an older model. Denon's GUI was just terrible and not intuitive at all like what I find in 90's. It also looked like HK also has more detailed settings available and better connectivity with more number of ports. I'm not sure about the room calibration software since I was not able to get it to work on Denon.

HK receiver serves my needs other than easier connectivity with my iPhone (Airplay support would be awesome to have!). I have it connected vis AUX port but I'm sure it'll sound better through other connections. By the way, when I connected my iPhone 5 via front USB port on Denon it did recognize the device and displayed song name and etc, but did not produce any sound. Not sure if it's defective or not compatible with iPhone 5 on iOS7.

Get an apple tv for your HK and you'll be happy
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 254 7x50w 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 3a Repeater , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Cambridge Audio Bookshelf Speakers S30 , New Boston Acoustics Cs225ciib Blk Speaker Dual Center Chanel Twi Cs225ciib , Bic Pl 200 Acoustech Platinum Series Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page