Multi Channel Amps - NAD, Rotel, and Marantz - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-15-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have three Proceed amplifiers - 2 x HPA 2, 1 x HPA 3. The HPA 3 only powers the center channel and the HPA 2 won't even turn on. The fact that Proceed isn't around anymore is making me think that I should get used to the idea of spending some money on a new amplifier - more specifically, a seven channel amplifier.

I've done some quick research and have found some good reviews and information about the Marantz MM8077 and NAD Masters Series.

Here is my current setup:
Pre-Amp: Marantz 7.2
Center: B&W Centre 2
Fronts: B&W CM10
Sides: B&W DS3Bs
Rears: B&W Nautilus SCM1

The two mentioned amps provide around 150W to 165W per channel (all driven). Are these quality amplifiers for my sort of system; specifically, is there any benefit in having a Marantz amp and pre-amp matched together? Are there other brands/models of seven channel amplifiers I should look into at the same price point, $2500 to $4000?

Thank you for your opinions and help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-16-2013, 12:32 AM

Liked: 12
the NAD Master series is a good choice. You can also look at Earthquake sound's Cinenova 7
post #3 of 13 Old 10-16-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
NAD makes excellent amps. If you want to get something less expensive, look at emotiva and outlaw. They typically have black Friday and Christmas sales. All amps are more or less the same, so you should decide based on cost, warranty and past reliability.

Emotiva has a sale right now...
http://shop.emotiva.com/?page=1
post #4 of 13 Old 10-16-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 279
I don't think there is a "right" answer. The pre/pro and amp certainly don't have to match brand wise...outside of matching looks, there is no reason you need to go down that path. I happen to have the NAD M25 amp and Marantz av7005 and have been very happy with both. The NAD M25 is a beast of an amp that will put out 160W at all channels driven. The dynamic power to any single channel is higher and is stable down to 2 OHMS (i.e. it will drive any speaker you can think of).
post #5 of 13 Old 10-16-2013, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by FensterBos View Post

I have three Proceed amplifiers - 2 x HPA 2, 1 x HPA 3. The HPA 3 only powers the center channel and the HPA 2 won't even turn on. The fact that Proceed isn't around anymore is making me think that I should get used to the idea of spending some money on a new amplifier - more specifically, a seven channel amplifier.

I've done some quick research and have found some good reviews and information about the Marantz MM8077 and NAD Masters Series.

Here is my current setup:
Pre-Amp: Marantz 7.2
Center: B&W Centre 2
Fronts: B&W CM10
Sides: B&W DS3Bs
Rears: B&W Nautilus SCM1

The two mentioned amps provide around 150W to 165W per channel (all driven). Are these quality amplifiers for my sort of system; specifically, is there any benefit in having a Marantz amp and pre-amp matched together? Are there other brands/models of seven channel amplifiers I should look into at the same price point, $2500 to $4000?

Thank you for your opinions and help!

ATI also makes multi channel amplifiers within your price range. I currently run a ATI AT 2007 which is 200W X 7 channels, and a ATI AT 2004 which is 200W X 4 Channels. This give me a total of 11 channels to use with my Yamaha CX-A5000 preamp. These amps have soft turn on circuitry, are built like tanks, and built right here in the USA. The ATI AT 2000 and 3000 series are also pure balance design with both XLR and RCA connections.smile.gif

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround, 2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II, Oppo BDP-95, MMF-7.1, Project Phono Box RS, XBox 360, XBox One
post #6 of 13 Old 10-16-2013, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

I am the type of dude that would rather spend an extra $500 on quality equipment that will produce great sound and last a while. I also do not want to try to save $500 and hook up an amplifier that won't showcase the quality of my speakers either.

I've actually read some good reviews regarding the Outlaws as being powerful amplifiers for the price, but that always gives me a little cause for concern. I suppose I should refocus this thread in the following way: Will I regret purchasing the 7 Channel Marantz and save $750/$1000 or should I spend the extra to get something like the NAD M25? In addition, would I see significant reduction in quality if I went with an amplifier like Outlaw, which is being touted as an inexpensive option?

Thanks!
post #7 of 13 Old 10-16-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
... Are there other brands/models of seven channel amplifiers I should look into at the same price point, $2500 to $4000?
Outlaw Audio
- $3,499: Model 7900 (300W x 7)
- $2,149: Model 7700 (200W x 7)
- $1,849: Model 7200 (200W x 7)
(I think, but I'm not certain, that shipping is extra.)

And although it's not a seven-channel amp: Emotiva
- $1,618, shipped (reg. $1,798, shipped): XPA-3 (200W x 3) + XPA-5 (200W x 5)
post #8 of 13 Old 10-16-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:

I am the type of dude that would rather spend an extra $500 on quality equipment that will produce great sound and last a while. I also do not want to try to save $500 and hook up an amplifier that won't showcase the quality of my speakers either.

I've actually read some good reviews regarding the Outlaws as being powerful amplifiers for the price, but that always gives me a little cause for concern. I suppose I should refocus this thread in the following way: Will I regret purchasing the 7 Channel Marantz and save $750/$1000 or should I spend the extra to get something like the NAD M25? In addition, would I see significant reduction in quality if I went with an amplifier like Outlaw, which is being touted as an inexpensive option?

Thanks!

I know this is going to sound like a weird response but the NAD M25 and the ATI amps weigh over 100lbs. The Maratnz I believe is 50lbs. I personally believe the NAD amps and ATI amps (as examples) are built to last a long time but you also pay more for that. I am like you, I would rather spend a little more get what I believe is a well built and designed product. If you have a doubt the Marantz is as good then that little voice of doubt in your head will likely always be there.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-16-2013, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Just an FYI for interested folks, the ATI amps have a 7 year warranty and can for a price be sent back to the factory and have additional channels added if you go with a unit with less than 7 channels (Maximum). ATI also makes amps for Outlaw, Mark Levinson, Theta and others. One of the founders for ATI used to be part of SAE in the 70's and 80's so they have lots of experience with amplifiers. Mine weight a ton and I have no doubt about there build quality. They may not look pretty but they are built to last and the quality shows there dedication to making trouble free equipment.smile.gif

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround, 2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II, Oppo BDP-95, MMF-7.1, Project Phono Box RS, XBox 360, XBox One
post #10 of 13 Old 10-16-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!

All amps sound the same more or less. What you typically get by spending more is greater power handling ability and/or fancy lights and/or a nice looking name plate. But if you want to spend more and think you're getting better sound, then go right ahead. I'm sure there are many vendors that will be more than happy to accept your money.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-16-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

What you typically get by spending more is greater power handling ability and/or fancy lights and/or a nice looking name plate.

What do you have against fancy lights?

I agree, though I will admit I can be a bit of a brand whore so I usually lean toward well-known brands. Overall, my priorities are the following: quality/durability, sound, efficiency. As mentioned, I'll pay a little extra to get those things, but I also don't want to pay for something I don't need (i.e. overkill).
post #12 of 13 Old 10-16-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I would get

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa-5

and

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa-2-gen-2

For $1700 shipped. Run your fronts off the 2 channel and the others off the 5 channel.

I think 300 wpc for the fronts and 200 wpc for the others should be loud enough to go deaf. Lots of AVSers have emotiva amps and are happy with them. They're a well known brand around here.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-21-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

First things first, I want to say thank you for everyone's help in this decision-making process.

After doing some research and considering what was said here I was able to acquire a floor model of the NAD M25 for a good price by the Natural Sound guys in Framingham, MA. I was able to get it hooked up to all 7 channels this weekend, but haven't been able to give it a real test run just yet. I watched some of Game 7 of the ALDS and an episode of Law & Order: SVU and was thoroughly impressed. I'm looking forward to testing it out for the first time with a blockbuster movie and the PS3.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Mm8077 Power Amplifier , Nad
Gear in this thread - Mm8077 by PriceGrabber.com