Are there any decent smaller sized receivers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am not sure if this even exists, but are there any inexpensive halfway decent receivers out there that are not the size of a cinder block?
I have a simple little setup in my spare bedroom with two infinity towers and a 12" BIC PL-200 sub. I have an older Denon 1400 receiver and it works fine. But am tight on space and wanted something small.

It would need to have inputs for a pair of speakers, a sub out, rca's to hook up my tv to it, and preferably a remote control.

Does this even exist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Marantz makes slimline receivers like the 1504. Yamaha is also introducing a slimline.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Short height? Yes, the aforementioned Marantz and Yamaha models. But they're still 17" wide and like 15" deep.

Short depth? Sort of, the Sonys and lower-end Yamahas are around 13" deep (but standard height and width).

Narrow width? Yes, but they're not AVRs--just stereo. See for example the TEAC and Denon models on the page below--they both have subwoofer outputs. I have the TEAC AG-H380 if you're considering it. It's a high-quality product but a bit quirky and light on power considering its price (but being niche items, all of them are). Still might work though if you're not planning to shake the walls and your towers are decently sensitive.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_356350/Stereo-Receivers.html?showAll=Y

post #4 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info. I was looking at the Teac, just wasn't sure if that was enough power. Seems a bit overpriced for what you get, but I guess they have a niche.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
If you have a lot to spend (~$3000), you might also consider these integrated amps. (And you thought the Teac was a niche product!)

http://www.belcantodesign.com/Belcanto_eOneSeries.html

Edit: Oops, never mind. Even if you have the three grand to spend, it doesn't get you a subwoofer output!

post #6 of 10 Old 10-19-2013, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've just got a Yamaha RX-S600D for the kitchen and I must say I am very impressed with it. Provided you don't need more than 5.1 channels and aren't trying to fill a barn with sound it fits the bill really well. It can even switch dynamically between 5.1 and 3.1 with a 2-channel zone 2, which can be useful.

It's just over 17" wide, but only 12 5/8" deep and 4 3/8" tall.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-19-2013, 05:54 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post

I've just got a Yamaha RX-S600D for the kitchen and I must say I am very impressed with it

Don't get me wrong, I am RX-S600 owner like you and I love it but tell me, what size is your kitchen and what do you mostly do in it?
post #8 of 10 Old 10-19-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

smile.gif

I'm not using it for surround sound at all.

I'm using it for the ability to switch between multiple audio (Kitchen TV (optical), Radio, Net Radio, Airplay, SpotifyConnect (soon!)) and video (Cable box in Kitchen or "Living Room", which has all the other stuff - Blu-ray/mkv/DVR) sources. I also use Party Mode/Zone2 for the garden. For that, with its ability to assign the 5.1 surrounds as zone2 - no need for a 7.1 amp - it is just perfect.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-19-2013, 06:15 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post

smile.gif

I'm not using it for surround sound at all.

I'm using it for the ability to switch between multiple audio (Kitchen TV (optical), Radio, Net Radio, Airplay, SpotifyConnect (soon!)) and video (Cable box in Kitchen or "Living Room", which has all the other stuff - Blu-ray/mkv/DVR) sources. I also use Party Mode/Zone2 for the garden. For that, with its ability to assign the 5.1 surrounds as zone2 - no need for a 7.1 amp - it is just perfect.

Wow, I looks like you've seen my setup wink.gif cause I use mine the same way and for same reasons with 3.1 and surrounds used in zone 2 at adjacent patio. Cheers, mate!
post #10 of 10 Old 10-19-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1504 Slim Line 5 1 Network Receiver , Teac Ag H380 Am Fm Receiver Usb Ipod Interface Black
Gear in this thread - Nr1504 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page