Sherwood R-972 DAC and AMP performance with Music - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-18-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. I recently purchased one to replace a Marantz receiver in a an audio/theater setup (projection plus Celestion 4ohm A series speakers). Trinnov is great and has been discussed enough, so I am not looking to address that here. I would like to get impressions from others who have or have had this unit. Specifically how do you view DAC and AMP performance relative to other high end setups you have experienced. My interest is in music from high quality sources (such as SACD and lossless FLAC). My experience thus far is that the sound is great, but not as warm as the Marantz. Also, sound stage seems slightly less. In effect, I have options: return it (which I don't intend to do), run it as is, or pair it with a separate AMP. It would be great if you could share your experience and/or solutions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganross View Post

Hello. I recently purchased one to replace a Marantz receiver in a an audio/theater setup (projection plus Celestion 4ohm A series speakers). Trinnov is great and has been discussed enough, so I am not looking to address that here. I would like to get impressions from others who have or have had this unit. Specifically how do you view DAC and AMP performance relative to other high end setups you have experienced. My interest is in music from high quality sources (such as SACD and lossless FLAC). My experience thus far is that the sound is great, but not as warm as the Marantz. Also, sound stage seems slightly less. In effect, I have options: return it (which I don't intend to do), run it as is, or pair it with a separate AMP. It would be great if you could share your experience and/or solutions.[/quote

Have you tried using Cinema eq on? It will roll off the highs to make it sound "warmer". Also you could use Natural which increases bass and lowers the highs. For music I use Flat with Cinema eg off and the +3 db file and it sounds accurate to me.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-19-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi, its not a question of sub bass. It more the lower midrange, where instruments like the bass live. In other words how lifelike are the plucks of the strings...can I feel them and are they not muddy... sound stage has been better since I recalibrated although sometimes it seems as if there is a bias towards the right. Maybe its my ears. ūüėä As an FYI, I use audiophile 1 and 3d mapping for music.
post #4 of 12 Old 10-19-2013, 07:39 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

.....although sometimes it seems as if there is a bias towards the right.
What are the azimuth readings for L and R, after cal? They should be within 2 deg max.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-19-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

What are the azimuth readings for L and R, after cal? They should be within 2 deg max.

how do I locate those?
post #6 of 12 Old 10-19-2013, 08:20 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Although I've done multiple calibrations on a friend's 972, I don't have one handy to tell you exactly how to get to the proper screen. Best to post your questions in the lengthy users thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1179978/sherwood-r-972-user-thread

I do own a Trinnov pre-pro, so I'm quite familiar with the ins and outs of Trinnov setup. Getting azimuth set within a couple of degrees is crucial, and may well be the source of your balance issue.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-19-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

Although I've done multiple calibrations on a friend's 972, I don't have one handy to tell you exactly how to get to the proper screen. Best to post your questions in the lengthy users thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1179978/sherwood-r-972-user-thread

I do own a Trinnov pre-pro, so I'm quite familiar with the ins and outs of Trinnov setup. Getting azimuth set within a couple of degrees is crucial, and may well be the source of your balance issue.

Hi,
I am familiar with the menus. I just don't know what azimuth is. Do you be leveling in horizontal and vertical leveling?
post #8 of 12 Old 10-19-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As a side, I am really interested in hearing AMP and DAC experiences as they as they relate to music......anyone ūüėÉ?
post #9 of 12 Old 10-19-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Azimuth is the speakers' horizontal angle position; it's shown onscreen during Trinnov calibration process.
Quote:

Hi,
I am familiar with the menus. I just don't know what azimuth is. Do you be leveling in horizontal and vertical leveling?

Noah
post #10 of 12 Old 10-19-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got it. I will look it up and reply back.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-19-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

FL, H=22; V=98; 3.46m
C, H=2; V=99; 3.25m
FR, H= -21; V=99; 3.45m

Ok, there are the current readings.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-22-2014, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27

This could be an interesting thread for comparing notes.  As some have used the 972 as a pre/pro only, bypassing amps- is it better?  Experience relative to on the speaker impedance and efficiency?  That is, one would expect complex speaker loads would benefit from external amps, but what about easy to drive speakers?

Here's some of the data I found on the audio chain for those of you into the details of such things...  

The basic architecture is 2x TI 708 DSPs with a sample rate converter between them. 

--1st TI DSP : Dolby, HD formats, PLII, etc > SRC @ 48k > 2nd TI DSP : Trinnov processing at 48k/32 bit floating point  > DAC.  

--For analog inputs, ADC is a AKM  "AK5381"  with quoted specs of S/N 106dB for 48khz. Max 96k (probably only used at 48k).  There are 2 ADCs- 4 inputs (cal mic needs 4)  An option for stereo sources only, as the 7.1 analog in by-passes all DSP functions.

--DAC is Cirrus Logic "CS4382" with quoted spec of 24bit conversion, up to 192KHz, 11dB dynamic range, 100dB THD+N

--Expect DAC receives 48k for all playback, except Remastering, which doubles sample rate before DAC.

--After the DAC is the volume, "R2A1521FP" with 8 channels, described as " independent Electronic Volume"

Thoughts?

Cheers-

Trinnov Audio
USA

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherwood Newcastle R 972

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page