Yamaha CX-A5000 or the Marantz AV8801 Pre/Pro? (Owners please chime in) - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #91 of 110 Old 07-12-2014, 10:50 AM
Member
 
MagnoliaMOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the AV8801 currently and I am not happy with the fact that it truncates frequencies above 48 KHz when audyssey xt32 is engaged. I am considering switching to the CX5000 but need to know if YPAO applies the same truncation above 48 kHz. Any insight would be much appreciated.

MagMo
Elite 70" (PRO70X5FD), Oppo BDP-105, Marantz AV-8801, Marantz MM-7055, PS4, PS3 (Fatty SACD), MartinLogan Theos, MartinLogan Stage, MartinLogan Montage, MartinLogan Descent-i
MagnoliaMOE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 110 Old 07-12-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,631
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaMOE View Post
I have the AV8801 currently and I am not happy with the fact that it truncates frequencies above 48 KHz when audyssey xt32 is engaged. I am considering switching to the CX5000 but need to know if YPAO applies the same truncation above 48 kHz. Any insight would be much appreciated.
The Yamaha is capable of 96kHz signals with YPAO engaged. OTOH, 48kHz PCM means a maximum audio frequency ~24kHz and 96kHz PCM means a maximum audio frequency ~48kHz. No change in the audible range either way.
MagnoliaMOE likes this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is online now  
post #93 of 110 Old 07-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Member
 
MagnoliaMOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
The Yamaha is capable of 96kHz signals with YPAO engaged. OTOH, 48kHz PCM means a maximum audio frequency ~24kHz and 96kHz PCM means a maximum audio frequency ~48kHz. No change in the audible range either way.
Thanks Kal, is that something YOU would care about when deciding between processors?

MagMo
Elite 70" (PRO70X5FD), Oppo BDP-105, Marantz AV-8801, Marantz MM-7055, PS4, PS3 (Fatty SACD), MartinLogan Theos, MartinLogan Stage, MartinLogan Montage, MartinLogan Descent-i
MagnoliaMOE is offline  
post #94 of 110 Old 07-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Newbie
 
avsource1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
The Yamaha is capable of 96kHz signals with YPAO engaged. OTOH, 48kHz PCM means a maximum audio frequency ~24kHz and 96kHz PCM means a maximum audio frequency ~48kHz. No change in the audible range either way.
So, does Marantz Audyssey XT32 downsample to 48kHZ and YPAO in Yamaha samples to 96KHZ. If I am playing Blu-ray at contains data 24/96KHZ sampling rate would it play at 96kHZ sampling or would it down sample to 48 KHZ like audyssey XT32. Is it similar to Anthem D2V room correction that samples at 96kHz

Revel Salon 2, Voice 2, Gem2, JL audio F113 subs MC601 and MC207 amps, AV8801, Oppo BD103d, Synergistic CTS cables,, Exasound E20 Dac 2

JVC RS40 projector, Black diamond zero edge 106" screen
avsource1 is offline  
post #95 of 110 Old 07-13-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,631
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaMOE View Post
Thanks Kal, is that something YOU would care about when deciding between processors?
It is a factor but not a definitive one.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is online now  
post #96 of 110 Old 07-13-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,631
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaMOE View Post
Thanks Kal, is that something YOU would care about when deciding between processors?
It is a factor but not a definitive one. After all, imho, Audyssey XT32 is superior to YPAO in its corrections.
MagnoliaMOE likes this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is online now  
post #97 of 110 Old 07-13-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,631
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsource1 View Post
So, does Marantz Audyssey XT32 downsample to 48kHZ and YPAO in Yamaha samples to 96KHZ.
Yes.

Quote:
If I am playing Blu-ray at contains data 24/96KHZ sampling rate would it play at 96kHZ sampling or would it down sample to 48 KHZ like audyssey XT32.
The CX-A5000 will play it at 24/96 without downsampling.[/quote]

Quote:
Is it similar to Anthem D2V room correction that samples at 96kHz
Neither "samples" anything, per se, but both will pass 24/96 using REQ without downsampling.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is online now  
post #98 of 110 Old 07-13-2014, 03:48 PM
Member
 
MagnoliaMOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
It is a factor but not a definitive one. After all, imho, Audyssey XT32 is superior to YPAO in its corrections.
Thank you Sir!

MagMo
Elite 70" (PRO70X5FD), Oppo BDP-105, Marantz AV-8801, Marantz MM-7055, PS4, PS3 (Fatty SACD), MartinLogan Theos, MartinLogan Stage, MartinLogan Montage, MartinLogan Descent-i
MagnoliaMOE is offline  
post #99 of 110 Old 07-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Newbie
 
avsource1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Yes.

The CX-A5000 will play it at 24/96 without downsampling.
Neither "samples" anything, per se, but both will pass 24/96 using REQ without downsampling.[/QUOTE]




Thanks that's what I thought. I use omnimic for subwoofer calibration and managed to get pretty flat reading on my 2 JL audio subwoofers and reading some reviews looks like Yamaha would be better option for me which I have read provided better midrange (which seems to be a issue in my room when using XT32 via 8801) and natural highs without truncation. Have tried all options of audyssey xt32 and have not been satisfied both in music and multichannel movies. I have to skip to pure direct to play multichannel DSD which I prefer.


May be eventually try Trinnov as a more expensive option.

Revel Salon 2, Voice 2, Gem2, JL audio F113 subs MC601 and MC207 amps, AV8801, Oppo BD103d, Synergistic CTS cables,, Exasound E20 Dac 2

JVC RS40 projector, Black diamond zero edge 106" screen
avsource1 is offline  
post #100 of 110 Old 07-14-2014, 05:39 PM
Member
 
mmwwmm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anyone have used the YPAO volume that comes with the latest CX-A5000 firmware? If so what do you think about it? Is it as good as the Dynamic EQ or just worst?
By the way I have owned some of the latest Aventage 20XX and 30XX models and i can confirm that in these models YPAO eq the subs down to 31hz with very good results and compared directly with XT32 in my room. Just take note YPAO has problems when eq subs of the "push pull" type (i.e. B&W PV1D). Using YPAO with these subs gives very strange and wrong results (usually boosting heavily the sub frecuencies around the LF crossover point).
Another point to take in consideration it's to use always just single point measurements. I and other users have noticed that the very best and precise holographic surround field and neutral sound only it's achieved using single point measurement.

Hope this helps.
mmwwmm is offline  
post #101 of 110 Old 07-14-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,631
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwwmm View Post
I and other users have noticed that the very best and precise holographic surround field and neutral sound only it's achieved using single point measurement.
Must be a YPAO thing. Not so with other REQ systems.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is online now  
post #102 of 110 Old 07-14-2014, 11:55 PM
Member
 
mmwwmm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Must be a YPAO thing. Not so with other REQ systems.
You are right. I have owned Denon 4520 and with XT32 (unlike the YPAO) the best results are always obtained using eight mic positions readings.
mmwwmm is offline  
post #103 of 110 Old 08-03-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
bobpaule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: US
Posts: 1,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
....................It's interesting to find that the Integra DHC 80.3 is highly regarded but yet never mention in threads on this forum when people are looking for a AV Processor around the $3000 mark.

The Yamaha CX-A5000, Marantz AV8801 and Integra DHC 80.3 are all in competition with each other.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Good point, also look how many people ignore the superior modular chassis, recessed buttons behind bay door, and pure audio on the internally identical Onkyo PR-SC5509.

But for video and room correction the AV8801 is the winner, especially if the answer to the quote below is YES:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Are they both truly differential for XLR? I plan to use amplified studio monitors like these:
http://www.focal.com/en/71-sm6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

So anyone know, at least fully differentially balanced stereo would be awesome.

I also dislike the disorderly wiring and poorly used real estate inside the Yamaha, HDAM ie tiny analog preamps on each channel would have been nice:


The Marantz would make a terrific companion to my UD9004, would be feeding 7.1 single ended to it, i can bet the tiny HDAM preamps will do a great job with the analog signal.

I always think of Malaysian Yamahas as the Hondas of A/V. My third Yamaha receiver is in the living room for 7 years now and it refuses to misbehave. Lets hope that the AV8801/8802 will become the Audi S4 6MT equivalent

Being a longterm Onkyo/Integra user I have HDMI board cooling worked out to an art by now

Last edited by bobpaule; 08-03-2014 at 06:47 AM.
bobpaule is offline  
post #104 of 110 Old 08-03-2014, 11:44 PM
Member
 
audiostar88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
ops someone had already answered this sorry
audiostar88 is offline  
post #105 of 110 Old 09-13-2014, 05:50 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: US East Coast
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Good point, also look how many people ignore the superior modular chassis, recessed buttons behind bay door, and pure audio on the internally identical Onkyo PR-SC5509.

But for video and room correction the AV8801 is the winner, especially if the answer to the quote below is YES:
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So anyone know, at least fully differentially balanced stereo would be awesome.

I also dislike the disorderly wiring and poorly used real estate inside the Yamaha, HDAM ie tiny analog preamps on each channel would have been nice:



The Marantz would make a terrific companion to my UD9004, would be feeding 7.1 single ended to it, i can bet the tiny HDAM preamps will do a great job with the analog signal.

I always think of Malaysian Yamahas as the Hondas of A/V. My third Yamaha receiver is in the living room for 7 years now and it refuses to misbehave. Lets hope that the AV8801/8802 will become the Audi S4 6MT equivalent

Being a longterm Onkyo/Integra user I have HDMI board cooling worked out to an art by now


Little disappointed to see Marantz started "Copying" almost the same specs from Denon models. Really hope M can keep its own blood that made many respect the brand. Yamaha has the potential IMO: it's a big company with other more profitable(?) business lines (instruments, services, etc.), which can support the R&D of its audio products. Very much interested to read comparisons of Marantz AV8802 vs Yamaha CX-A5050(?) in 2015!
jxz2000 is offline  
post #106 of 110 Old Today, 02:06 AM
Newbie
 
batman144144's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: California
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yamaha vs. Marantz

Hi, guys. I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these units. After having read this thread, and others on other forums, I'm leaning towards the Yamaha. You can get the 8801 for $1999, now that the 8802 is on the market. The CX-5000 still goes for $2499, which is more expensive, but not that big a deal to me. The single most important thing to me is sound quality and musicality. Marantz has a good reputation for being musical, and SR5005 is my current receiver (that I use as a pre-pro with outboard amplification). However, I find the sound is a little dark for me. I want to upgrade and find something sweeter-sounding. I used to own the Yamaha DSP A-1 back in the day, and I seem to recall it having a brighter sound than my Marantz. Do you guys think the CX-5000 is brighter-sounding than the 8801? I also miss the Hall mode processing that Yamaha is so good at...

For reference, my equipment is: Marantz SR5005, Chiro C-500 amp, Polk LSi bookshelf speakers, Infinity sub. Thanks.
batman144144 is offline  
post #107 of 110 Old Today, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 122
These units are getting old now. 8801s are going for about $1k used market.

The new Yamaha processor should be out this summer. Not many on the used market.

The Marantz AV7702 is very popular and can be had for less than 1500 new by calling an authorized dealer. It is said to be superior sounding than the 8801 due to upgraded internals.

That being said it's hard to purchase anything that costs more than 1500 right now. Just get the 7702.
dwaleke is online now  
post #108 of 110 Old Today, 04:45 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 49,710
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3383 Post(s)
Liked: 2088
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman144144 View Post
Hi, guys. I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these units. After having read this thread, and others on other forums, I'm leaning towards the Yamaha. You can get the 8801 for $1999, now that the 8802 is on the market. The CX-5000 still goes for $2499, which is more expensive, but not that big a deal to me. The single most important thing to me is sound quality and musicality. Marantz has a good reputation for being musical, and SR5005 is my current receiver (that I use as a pre-pro with outboard amplification). However, I find the sound is a little dark for me. I want to upgrade and find something sweeter-sounding. I used to own the Yamaha DSP A-1 back in the day, and I seem to recall it having a brighter sound than my Marantz. Do you guys think the CX-5000 is brighter-sounding than the 8801? I also miss the Hall mode processing that Yamaha is so good at...

For reference, my equipment is: Marantz SR5005, Chiro C-500 amp, Polk LSi bookshelf speakers, Infinity sub. Thanks.
We have both products available as well as the newer AV7702. The Marantz units also ship with a free Denon HEOS Link (MSRP $349) which can be used to stream audio to a non-networking AVR or when can stream audio from the AVR to one or more wireless HEOS speakers (sold separately). If you want more specific information or pricing on these products, please contact us; if we don’t have the product in stock, we can usually get it very quickly.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #109 of 110 Unread Today, 06:11 AM
Newbie
 
batman144144's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: California
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
These units are getting old now. 8801s are going for about $1k used market.

The new Yamaha processor should be out this summer. Not many on the used market.

The Marantz AV7702 is very popular and can be had for less than 1500 new by calling an authorized dealer. It is said to be superior sounding than the 8801 due to upgraded internals.

That being said it's hard to purchase anything that costs more than 1500 right now. Just get the 7702.
Thanks for the info. Newer models are not really important to me. I don't care about Dolby Atmos or whatever else is the latest craze. Your comments regarding the 7702 are very interesting, however, I cannot find it for "less than 1500." I see it online for $1999. FYI: I'm willing to bet the new Yamaha will go for much more than $2499, so I probably won't wait for it. Anyway, do you think 7702 sounds better than the CX-5000?
batman144144 is offline  
post #110 of 110 Unread Today, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman144144 View Post
Thanks for the info. Newer models are not really important to me. I don't care about Dolby Atmos or whatever else is the latest craze. Your comments regarding the 7702 are very interesting, however, I cannot find it for "less than 1500." I see it online for $1999. FYI: I'm willing to bet the new Yamaha will go for much more than $2499, so I probably won't wait for it. Anyway, do you think 7702 sounds better than the CX-5000?
Well in this case a newer model (7702) provides superior sonics compared to an older model (8801) regardless of features such as Atmos.

I never compared the 5000 to the 7702. The Yamaha unit is a good sounding unit and I'm a Yamaha fan in general. I prefer the sonics of the 3020 over the 5000 myself. But you can't go wrong with either.

Oh and you have to call an authorized dealer. You can't shop online. Dealers are not allowed to quote lower than msrp in writing. You'll save a lot by calling.

It it were me I would look at the AV7702 since it is highly regarded, good feature set, and good price. And I'm not a Denon fan or an Audyssey fan (you can add on Dirac for modern room correction if needed with a Minidsp device).

Take a look at the Emotiva XMC-1 as well.
dwaleke is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av8801 , Yamaha Cx A5000bl Aventage 11 2 Channel Av Pre Amplifier
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off