Yamaha CX-A5000 or the Marantz AV8801 Pre/Pro? (Owners please chime in) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 102 Old 10-19-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I could use some opinions from experiences users if you don't mind chiming in. I'm considering purchasing either a Yamaha CX-A5000 or the Marantz AV8801. I'll currently running a 7.2 configuration and I have a 22' x 27' dedicated theater and want to get the best bang for my buck. Thanks! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 10-20-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I have owned Yamaha equipment in the past and have always believed it offered high value and is reliable. I can't comment on the one you are asking about because I have never even heard of it until now. I can tell you that the marantz is my seventh av controller (third pre/pro) and I'm very happy with its build quality and performance for ht and music as well. I would not hesitate to recommend it. I suppose its safe to say that Yamaha owners will recommend them, the same for marantz.

post #3 of 102 Old 10-20-2013, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I've had the CX-A5000 since 2 Aug and could not be happier. Both units are exceptional. 2 differences to keep in mind, 1 the Marantz does run warmer, and 2 the Yamaha does allow changing of hdmi inputs while in stand by mode whereas the Marantz does not. I have my Yamaha paired with a 4 channel and 7 channel ATI AT 2000 series amps at 200 watts per channel via XLR cables for a total of 11 channels. Either way you go you cannot go wrong I think this boils down to the type of room correction algorithm you like YPAO or Audysse X32, if you watch tv with multiple hdmi devices and don't always turn on your system, how much room you have for the peace to allow for adequate cooling and your monetary budget. The deal breaker for me when I was comparing the two was the hdmi switching while in standby mode.

Best of luck:)

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)
Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround
2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II
post #4 of 102 Old 10-20-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Dave,

I just finished a review of the Yamaha and gave it a Top Pick (same as the AV8801). I own the 8801 and love it but you really can't go wrong with either pre/pro. If I were purchasing right now it would come down to which one I could get a better deal on because they are virtually even in every other way. The video processing on the Yamaha is slightly inferior (it rolls off chroma), but I defeat the video processing in my pre/pro anyway so it isn't a deal breaker for me. The menus are more traditional in the Marantz and it's web interface is superior (you can setup the pre/pro from your web browser, something you can't do with the Yamaha), but the iDevice app is better on the Yamaha. As for Audyssey versus YPAO, I personally think they are both very good.

Hopefully this helps.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #5 of 102 Old 10-20-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Dave,

I just finished a review of the Yamaha and gave it a Top Pick (same as the AV8801). I own the 8801 and love it but you really can't go wrong with either pre/pro. If I were purchasing right now it would come down to which one I could get a better deal on because they are virtually even in every other way. The video processing on the Yamaha is slightly inferior (it rolls off chroma), but I defeat the video processing in my pre/pro anyway so it isn't a deal breaker for me. The menus are more traditional in the Marantz and it's web interface is superior (you can setup the pre/pro from your web browser, something you can't do with the Yamaha), but the iDevice app is better on the Yamaha. As for Audyssey versus YPAO, I personally think they are both very good.

Hopefully this helps.

David

Just an FYI, you can setup the Yamaha from a web browser, just type in the IP of the Yamaha followed by setup like this
Xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/setup

It is the "contractor" setup feature and every setting can be done on this web GUI. I setup my CX-A5000 in less than 30 minutes this way.

Like you said there both great units, and I like you turn off all video processing. I also disable ARC and HDMI CEC.

I look forward to reading your overall review.

smile.gif

I also noticed your location, I was stationed at Travis AFB from 95 to 05 and lived in Elmira

Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround
2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II
post #6 of 102 Old 10-20-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty8451 View Post

David

Just an FYI, you can setup the Yamaha from a web browser, just type in the IP of the Yamaha followed by setup like this
Xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/setup

It is the "contractor" setup feature and every setting can be done on this web GUI. I setup my CX-A5000 in less than 30 minutes this way.

Like you said there both great units, and I like you turn off all video processing. I also disable ARC and HDMI CEC.

I look forward to reading your overall review.

smile.gif

I also noticed your location, I was stationed at Travis AFB from 95 to 05 and lived in Elmira

I wish the folks at Yamaha would have told me that! I entered the IP address and there wasn't an option for "setup" in the menus.

LOL about Travis. I'm not in the Air Force, but am friends with a lot of ex-pilots (most are retired now or have been relocated...they're all in their 40s now). I live out in the Browns Valley area of Vacaville. By the way, thanks for your service. Are you still active duty?

David Vaughn

post #7 of 102 Old 10-20-2013, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post

I could use some opinions from experiences users if you don't mind chiming in. I'm considering purchasing either a Yamaha CX-A5000 or the Marantz AV8801. I'll currently running a 7.2 configuration and I have a 22' x 27' dedicated theater and want to get the best bang for my buck. Thanks! smile.gif
I presently own the Marantz AV8801, but would have strongly considered the CX-A5000 had it come out about a year earlier than it did.
The Marantz does run somewhat hot (I have a fan on it), but its quality and features are wonderful!
I've owned Yamaha AVRs in the past and loved them though (RX-V1900), and still have some Yamaha source components now that all operate flawlessly.
The Marantz can be had for about $3000, and the Yammy of about $2,500 right now, so the difference is not great.
I like the looks of the Yamaha better, but think Audyssey XT32 in the Marantz does a great job with my acoustically difficult room.

Dave V. does a good and thorough review and can be trusted I'd say, so (like he says), either one will serve you quite well.
Good luck in your choice!

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #8 of 102 Old 10-20-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Dave,

Hopefully this helps.
Dave,
Did you spend much time on music, and if so, would you still call it a wash?

Jim

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #9 of 102 Old 10-20-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:

I wish the folks at Yamaha would have told me that! I entered the IP address and there wasn't an option for "setup" in the menus.

LOL about Travis. I'm not in the Air Force, but am friends with a lot of ex-pilots (most are retired now or have been relocated...they're all in their 40s now). I live out in the Browns Valley area of Vacaville. By the way, thanks for your service. Are you still active duty?

Thank you Dave for the appreciation and thanks for service. I retired after 22 years of service in 2008. I did my last stint from 05 to 08 at a black facility on the east coast doing military intelligence work. I had some kc-10 crew members who were really close friends of mine and they lived in Brown Valley area. I was the operations support group IT manager back in the day. Last time I was in your neck of the woods was to pick up my retirement I.D. The wife's parents live up at clear lake so I get to Cali once a year. I need to get to Travis and check it out one of these days.

I am surprised Yamaha does not make mention of their setup GUI. It is actually very intuitive and makes configuring the unit easier and faster than the on screen setup. Scene config is a snap using this GUI also.

Thank you again for the kind words, service to this country is an honor I did not regret but do miss at times.

smile.gif

post #10 of 102 Old 10-20-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

Dave,
Did you spend much time on music, and if so, would you still call it a wash?

Jim

Jim,

Both sound quite good, but slightly different. With my speakers (M&K S150s), I can't run them at full range because they're monitors and I have to have a subwoofer for things to sound good, so it's hard to do a straight 2-channel comparison since I"m not using full-range speakers. To me they both sound outstanding and I could own either unit for music listening with one caveat...I NEVER sit on the couch and listen to music other than to watch a concert Blu-ray or DVD....for me music is for in the car or background noise. I know what sounds good though and both units pass that test with flying colors.

David Vaughn

post #11 of 102 Old 10-20-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Dave,

Hopefully this helps.
Dave,

Does the Yamaha EQ the subwoofer? Does it do it well? I ask because this seems to be the downfall of Yamaha and Pioneer units.

Steve Goff
post #12 of 102 Old 10-21-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I honestly don't know. It does take measurements from the sub and sets the level. That being said, the bass response was very even in my room and not boomy at all after the YPAO calibration and the response was more even when toggling YPAO on and off.

David Vaughn

post #13 of 102 Old 11-03-2013, 07:24 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Are they both truly differential for XLR? I plan to use amplified studio monitors like these:

http://www.focal.com/en/71-sm6
post #14 of 102 Old 11-03-2013, 07:39 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View PostDave, Does the Yamaha EQ the subwoofer? Does it do it well? I ask because this seems to be the downfall of Yamaha and Pioneer units.

I heard Audyssey is better than YPO how so?

post #15 of 102 Old 11-04-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:

Dave,

Hopefully this helps.

Hi Dave,

I don't know if you can comment and I don't want you to "front run" your review but..... I am strongly considering the AV8801 given your and other very strong reviews. However, I don't want to rule out a good alternative.

If you can comment whether specifically or in general - Is there a material difference in the quality/type of internal components used by Marantz on the one hand and Yamaha on the other? Whether chips/DACs, etc.?

Anyone else know?

Thanks!!
post #16 of 102 Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 AM

As another point of comparison for comment, I noticed that the Yamaha seems to only have one HDMI out and then a "zone" HDMI out while the 8801 has two plus the zone out and the Yamaha seems to only have one network connection while the 8801 has a few - the 8801 seems to provide more flexibility in both respects. But, from a practicality standpoint, does it make a difference?

Does that mean that the Yamaha can do HDMI zone switching in the way that the 8801 cannot? Some of the blurbs on it, seem to suggest full HDMI zone flexibility. Does that include audio?

Also, can networked sources also be routed to any zone?
post #17 of 102 Old 11-04-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG View Post

Hi Dave,

I don't know if you can comment and I don't want you to "front run" your review but..... I am strongly considering the AV8801 given your and other very strong reviews. However, I don't want to rule out a good alternative.

If you can comment whether specifically or in general - Is there a material difference in the quality/type of internal components used by Marantz on the one hand and Yamaha on the other? Whether chips/DACs, etc.?

Anyone else know?

Thanks!!

Daniel,

I could live with either unit and I really have nothing bad to say about either one. I personally own an 8801 though, but if I hadn't already had purchased it I would have strongly considered the Yamaha if it came along first.

David Vaughn

post #18 of 102 Old 11-04-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As another point of comparison for comment, I noticed that the Yamaha seems to only have one HDMI out and then a "zone" HDMI out while the 8801 has two plus the zone out and the Yamaha seems to only have one network connection while the 8801 has a few - the 8801 seems to provide more flexibility in both respects. But, from a practicality standpoint, does it make a difference?

Does that mean that the Yamaha can do HDMI zone switching in the way that the 8801 cannot? Some of the blurbs on it, seem to suggest full HDMI zone flexibility. Does that include audio?

Also, can networked sources also be routed to any zone?

I honestly don't remember.

David Vaughn

post #19 of 102 Old 11-04-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:

I honestly don't remember.

I bought the Yamaha CX-5000 when it first came out and had it in hand on 2 aug. I have gone through mine pretty extensively and here are some answeres to your querries;

Hdmi 2 can be assigned as a second main output or a zone 2 output. As a zone output, it can display an independent GUI from the main zone, pass any digital audio inputs from coax and optical inputs (2 ch PCM only), full audio via hdmi, all imbedded apps ie pandora, hd radio, ect. And analog sources. The unit can be fully setup from a pro web setup interface (see thread for more info). The Yamaha does do one key thing the Marantz does not, which is switch hdmi inputs while in standby elleviating having to turn the unit on to switch different sources just to watch them on a connected video display. The Marantz does have a built in cat 5 hub which adds connection flexibility, but that can affect bandwidth of all connected equipment as it only a hub not a switch which can do routing. The Yamaha also runs much cooler. I personally looked at the Marantz and was ready to order when I saw the announcement for the Yamaha separates, so I waited for the specs and choose the yamaha as it fit my requirements better. The Yamaha also has some DAC settings I am not sure the Marantz does.

So my opinion is, yes the Marantz has 2 main hdmi outputs and a dedicated zone output, the Yamaha has 2 main hdmi outputs BUT 1 can be assigned a zone. All inputs available in the main zone are available in zone 2 of the Yamaha, albeit coax and optical pass 2 channel PCM. The same GUI in the main zone is available in zone 2 ( via hdmi) and can be accessed simultaneously with the main zone. The Marantz has an Ethernet hub built in, but for your networked equipment to run there best they should all be attached to a switch (managed if possible). The Yamaha does have setting that can be applied to its DACs and can do Hdmi switching WHILE in standbye mode.

I agree with Dave, you really can't go wrong with either unit, but I do think it boils down to what features you are looking for. I consider my CX-A5000 the best preamp I have purchased and I have had flagship separates for 30 years owning brands of Carver, b&k, krell, pioneer, dbx, Yamaha, Marantz, and others.

You can go to the Yamaha web site and download the manual, you just have to create a Yamaha account to download it

post #20 of 102 Old 11-04-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty8451 View Post

I bought the Yamaha CX-5000 when it first came out and had it in hand on 2 aug. I have gone through mine pretty extensively and here are some answeres to your querries;

Hdmi 2 can be assigned as a second main output or a zone 2 output. As a zone output, it can display an independent GUI from the main zone, pass any digital audio inputs from coax and optical inputs (2 ch PCM only), full audio via hdmi, all imbedded apps ie pandora, hd radio, ect. And analog sources. The unit can be fully setup from a pro web setup interface (see thread for more info). The Yamaha does do one key thing the Marantz does not, which is switch hdmi inputs while in standby elleviating having to turn the unit on to switch different sources just to watch them on a connected video display. The Marantz does have a built in cat 5 hub which adds connection flexibility, but that can affect bandwidth of all connected equipment as it only a hub not a switch which can do routing. The Yamaha also runs much cooler. I personally looked at the Marantz and was ready to order when I saw the announcement for the Yamaha separates, so I waited for the specs and choose the yamaha as it fit my requirements better. The Yamaha also has some DAC settings I am not sure the Marantz does.

So my opinion is, yes the Marantz has 2 main hdmi outputs and a dedicated zone output, the Yamaha has 2 main hdmi outputs BUT 1 can be assigned a zone. All inputs available in the main zone are available in zone 2 of the Yamaha, albeit coax and optical pass 2 channel PCM. The same GUI in the main zone is available in zone 2 ( via hdmi) and can be accessed simultaneously with the main zone. The Marantz has an Ethernet hub built in, but for your networked equipment to run there best they should all be attached to a switch (managed if possible). The Yamaha does have setting that can be applied to its DACs and can do Hdmi switching WHILE in standbye mode.

I agree with Dave, you really can't go wrong with either unit, but I do think it boils down to what features you are looking for. I consider my CX-A5000 the best preamp I have purchased and I have had flagship separates for 30 years owning brands of Carver, b&k, krell, pioneer, dbx, Yamaha, Marantz, and others.

You can go to the Yamaha web site and download the manual, you just have to create a Yamaha account to download it

Great summary Smitty. Like I said, if I didn't already own the Marantz I would be completely happy with the Yamaha in my system. Both sound excellent and it really comes down to the features you need/want.

David Vaughn

post #21 of 102 Old 11-04-2013, 09:38 PM

Liked: 10
I'm also looking at both but the Yamaha has those Sabre dacs which I found with my OPPO 105 to be quite a step up on the usual ones you find. That will probably tip the balance for me.
post #22 of 102 Old 11-05-2013, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hunter View Post

I'm also looking at both but the Yamaha has those Sabre dacs which I found with my OPPO 105 to be quite a step up on the usual ones you find. That will probably tip the balance for me.

Keep in mind those aren't the same ESS dac's , the 105 has the superior top of the line ESS dac es9018 and not the es9016 like the Yamaha and in my various comparison with the 8801 and my Oppo 105 in the end I'm glad I have both and if I had to let the 8801 do all my processing I could easily live with it and be very happy. I do still use the 105 's XLR's to the 8801 for 2/ch sacd,cd and usb files primarily but anything multi/ch the 8801 with Audyssey is anther ball game, especially for movies and multi/ch sacd . The 8801 settled the HT bypass option I considered for 2/ch as the comparison also involved hooking the 105 direct to my Parasound Halo A21 which I might add is indeed stellar but with the 8801 in the chain the sound didn't warrant me looking for a 2/ch preamp at all, in fact its the hidden gem of the 8801 and something not discussed when comparing the two or any processors for that matter.

The 8801 is for me a proven 2/ch preamp and with the Oppo 105 you can have the current SOTA in playback of all sources under the sun even a year after its release not to add
a multi channel processor with reference playback that will have you purchasing more music and movies wink.gif
mdrums likes this.
post #23 of 102 Old 11-09-2013, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just ordered a CX-A5000/MX-A5000 & a Parasound A 31 combination. Thanks for all of the comments to help me make my selection!
post #24 of 102 Old 11-10-2013, 04:28 AM

Hello,

recently i was in the same dilemma. I had experienced the rich sound of the Marantz AV8003, and would update my system to the newer futures like 3D and ARC. I went to a store and laid my hands on an offer you can't refuse. I bought the AV8801 for the once in a lifetime price at €2000,=. Like always with a new box on the backseat of the car, i can't wait to experience my new Heart of the music system. Features like aydissey XT32 etc, was pumping up my bloodpressure.

At home i switched de Pre's and we where running.

First in stereo, there was a no rich sound. then surround…….. there was the same poor sound. 

I made myself a cop of coffee and try to ignore that disappointment. ok, maybe it was the odyssey that i haven't run yet?

i calibrate everything with audyssey set up and tried again. 

In digital it runs fine. Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1, but wen i was going for some live recordings in the same format I've heart only a very over processed sound. Try to turn on and of the Audissey dyn EQ and Dyn Volume. tried every setting and combination of it.

The sound goes from very poor till over booming bass. Set UP again and again. What was wrong.

I was experimenting for over a week but never come close to the sound field of the AV8003. 

Dissapointed I've decided to bring  it back to the shop where i bought it. of course i had the option to get my money back.

The AV was not that bad but i had it in a one on one test with a SR7007 what i was using as a pre, there was not that improvement what you expect for a Pre for more then a double of the price.

They gave me a yamaha CX-A 5000 to test it as an alternative, the comment of the salesman was that the Yamaha has a cleaner sound and some more attack and airiness.

I never had the feeling with Yamaha and somehow i never looked to the brand. I was a Marantz fan, specially after my experience withe the AV8003.

At home i hooked up the Yamaha and without sound settings i heard the first notes. Wauwwww. overwhelming,Clean, Pure, lots of detail, and with turning up the volume de dynamics only get better. Lots of exact controlled bass, tight and clean but with pressure that i couldn't imagine. Voices you could point, airiness that doubles the room size, In Dolby and DTS there was a music concert in my room. I was in the middle of a movie when i played my reference movie " Avatar ". All sounds so natural.

I had a hart time to push myself to run the Yamaha's own sound program. i was afraid that this could only rune my set up.

I found out that the biggest mistake ( but so human " is only to true what you have heart the most. I doubt that the yamaha sound program can do a better job than audyssey???  If Yamaha have a better room acoustic program?? I don't know if it is better, but men what a thrill wen i turned on the sound.

I use the Pre in my living room and use it as a high end Audio and Video centre. Most of the time it runs movies from DVD or BR and television.Lots of my stuff is Music. This is a very very musical heart Pre.

My set up is:

RX-C 5000, Emotiva XPA-5, front Kef Reference 3.2, Rear Kef Reference 2.2, Centre Kef Reference 100.

My experiences with Other AV-set up is:

Rotel RMB 1095, Rotel RMB 1075, Rotel RSP 1068, Marantz AVR 8002, Marantz AVR 7005, Marantz AV 7005, Marantz AV7071, Marantz AV8003, Marantz AV 8081.

PS. I have the same over processed experience with the AV7071. Maybe i don't like the Dyn EQ, and the Dyn Volume settings, but without that, there isn't enough body, with these settings on, there is a lot of overwhelming bass without clarity.

I hope you have some information to think about in your decision??

post #25 of 102 Old 11-10-2013, 04:49 AM

haha,

First time with account in a forum. now i see that the newest post is on the bottom..

post #26 of 102 Old 11-10-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Keep in mind those aren't the same ESS dac's , the 105 has the superior top of the line ESS dac es9018 and not the es9016 like the Yamaha and in my various comparison with the 8801 and my Oppo 105 in the end I'm glad I have both and if I had to let the 8801 do all my processing I could easily live with it and be very happy.

Which dac does the 8801 have and how does it compare to the quality of the Yahama?
post #27 of 102 Old 11-10-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which dac does the 8801 have and how does it compare to the quality of the Yahama?

The 8801 uses the TI Burr Brown PCM1795 and I never compared it to the ESS 9016 in the CX-A5000, my comparison was between the 8801 and Oppo 105 which does indeed have the top of the line ESS 9018. I'm sure the 9016 is no slouch and of course it alway comes down to the implementation of the dac and its supporting cast to get the best sound out. This comparison overall did speak well of the 8801's implementation of the TI burr Brown PCM1795 which I came to the conclusions I did.

I would love to hear about how the Yammy and Halo 31 play together and it sounds like you're in for a treat .

Enjoy smile.gif
post #28 of 102 Old 11-10-2013, 03:54 PM

Liked: 100
Quote:

The 8801 uses the TI Burr Brown PCM1795 and I never compared it to the ESS 9016 in the CX-A5000, my comparison was between the 8801 and Oppo 105 which does indeed have the top of the line ESS 9018. I'm sure the 9016 is no slouch and of course it alway comes down to the implementation of the dac and its supporting cast to get the best sound out. This comparison overall did speak well of the 8801's implementation of the TI burr Brown PCM1795 which I came to the conclusions I did.

I would love to hear about how the Yammy and Halo 31 play together and it sounds like you're in for a treat .

Enjoy smile.gif
For what its worth, I do know that running an optical connection from my CD player to the AV8801 sounds much better letting the AV8801 do the de-coding, than letting my CD player do it and running an analog connection to the AV8801.
The DAC in the AV8801 is no slouch...
(The AV8801 also does a much better job of video up-conversion of my CBL/Sat source signal from 1080i to 1080p, rather than letting my HDTV do the conversion. These two improvements alone are rather impressive I think!). smile.gif
audiofan1 likes this.

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #29 of 102 Old 11-10-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

For what its worth, I do know that running an optical connection from my CD player to the AV8801 sounds much better letting the AV8801 do the de-coding, than letting my CD player do it and running an analog connection to the AV8801.
The DAC in the AV8801 is no slouch...
(The AV8801 also does a much better job of video up-conversion of my CBL/Sat source signal from 1080i to 1080p, rather than letting my HDTV do the conversion. These two improvements alone are rather impressive I think!). smile.gif

No doubt wink.gif my test where via hdmi with the )Oppo set to bitstream for hdmi audio and that should tell how well the 8801 handles jitter. This I didn't see coming from miles away, as it had me seriously considering why I had the 105 instead of the 103 but in the end the last bit the 105 gave up via XLR and its RCA to the 8801's analog inputs in the end I maintain what I've said since that comparison "I'm glad I have both" cool.gif
post #30 of 102 Old 11-10-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:

Enjoy smile.gif

Thanks for the info and comments. Interesting comparison with the Oppo given the known strength of its dac.

I'm thinking about getting the 103 or 103D, but perhaps given the strength of the 8801 on video and audio processing there isn't a need right now for me to spend the money on an Oppo.....
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av8801 , Yamaha Cx A5000bl Aventage 11 2 Channel Av Pre Amplifier
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page