Connecting Sony Wireless Headphones MDR-DS6500 with Yamaha RXV-575 receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-21-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have recently purchased SONY MDR-DS6500 wireless headphones. Wireless transmitter have two inputs (1) Audio In : Optical Digital Input (2) Analog Stereo Input mini jack. I would like to hook it up to my current set up of Yamaha RXV-575 receiver.

Currently Yamaha is connected with TV with HDMI ARC. All other comonents such as blu-ray player / PVR are connected to Yamaha with HDMI inputs. Receiver seems to have Optical In but not Optical out.

Per Yamaha website, "the best connection for any type of headphones - wired or wireless - would be the front head jack on the front of the receiver" which seems to anolog. Is this really preferred over digital optical? What is the best connection method? Can I make optical work?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
My interest in the thread is that I recently bought Sony's MDR-1RBT headphones with aptx Blue Tooth technology. They're stereo with an ok surround technology and flawless reception.
But I'm curious about when you were looking for headphones were you aware of what outputs you had? I ask that because I thought Sony had a model, maybe a 7500, that accepted HDMI. In any case for copy protection reasons and others reasons it will be hard to find receivers with digital outputs except HDMI. My Integra DTC9.8 pre-pro had one optical SP/dif out. I don't remember the last time I saw SP/dif coax out on a reciever. My latest receiver has two HDMI outs and my Oppo BD player has simultaneous out from HDMI and SP/dif coax. In fact if you were in the market for a BD player, the Oppo BDP103 might solve a lot of your issues considering everything it does.

Patrick
post #3 of 8 Old 10-21-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Patric,

In fact, I also bought MDR-1R headphones (non-bluetooth version) at the same time for music. I thought SONY MDR-DS6500 will be the best for home theater when I do not want to disturb kids. It seems while sony prefers digital optical option, Yamaha prefers to use front head jack (analog).  It seems as I add more and more items to Yamaha it is getting more complicated. I am thinking to buy these adapter and cables as mentioned below. Do you think this option will affect audio quality compared to digital optic option>

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v675_u/10657/5823/?current_page_id=1&sort=&type=

"The best connection for any type of headphones - wired or wireless - would be the front head jack on the front of the receiver.  This will activate the Silent Cinema feature which mutes the connected speakers to allow full surround sound experience through the headphones.  

Yamaha receivers have a headphone output jack the uses a 1/4" connection, which is common to higher-end headphones.  If your headphones use the standard 1/8" (stereo-mini) connection, simply use a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter which may have been included with your headphones. 

The transmitter for the wirless headphones may require that you use an RCA to stereo mini plug adapter cable.  The RCA side would connect to the transmitter for the wireless headphones and the stereo mini plug would connect to the headphone jack on the receiver using the adapter mentioned above. "

post #4 of 8 Old 10-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I think that the front headphone jack will downmix multichannel audio to stereo, which you (and Yamaha) would want for "normal" headphones. (That way, audio from all of the surround channels is combined into the left and right channels that are output to the headphones.) The reason Sony prefers optical is that these headphones claim to be surround, therefore they want the original multichannel input (via the optical).

post #5 of 8 Old 10-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

The solution I see here is to add inline, probably between the receiver and the television, one of these products. They will take the HDMI in, output the audio via Toslink, and pass the video on to the TV.*

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/909140-REG/kanexpro_haecoax_audio_de_embedder_with_3d.html

*Note I am assuming that the receiver outputs the full multichannel digital audio signal to the TV--it might (I don't know) output downmixed stereo to the TV since the TV reports itself as a stereo device. So there's a risk that this doesn't work.

post #6 of 8 Old 10-22-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Hi tushar76, a simple a/v switch box (like this) should work for your situation.

I'm using this switch box for my Astro Mixamp which works flawlessly. The Xbox 360, blu-ray player and Apple TV are connected to the receiver via HDMI cables and optical cables to the a/v switch box. All three components output audio from HDMI and optical simultaneously. Also have my Harmony remote programed to select the correct input.

Your two components (blu-ray player and PVR) should work the same if they both have optical output. If the Yammy can output the Tuner from the Audio Out (white & red) jacks, you can connect that to the switch box as well. Just connect additional RCA cables from the switch box to the headphone base.
tushar76 likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

^ +1 If your equipment works like JChin's, his is the better solution. Mine would add extra steps in your video path which could cause annoying delays. Cleaner to go straight from the components to the headphones if that's an option for you.
tushar76 likes this.

post #8 of 8 Old 01-26-2014, 05:39 AM

I am in the same situation, though I have a Denon AVR-2311CI. According to this thread in which I explained the problem with the AVR not sending optical audio out from it's REC OUT port since it can't pass the audio from the HDMI connected to the Samsung UN46C6800 TV

These Sony headphones are really great and they have excellent spatial representation which is why I'd rather use them than the virtualized headphone port at the front of the AVR. And of course wireless is better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi tushar76, a simple a/v switch box (like this) should work for your situation.

I'm using this switch box for my Astro Mixamp which works flawlessly. The Xbox 360, blu-ray player and Apple TV are connected to the receiver via HDMI cables and optical cables to the a/v switch box. All three components output audio from HDMI and optical simultaneously. Also have my Harmony remote programed to select the correct input.

Your two components (blu-ray player and PVR) should work the same if they both have optical output. If the Yammy can output the Tuner from the Audio Out (white & red) jacks, you can connect that to the switch box as well. Just connect additional RCA cables from the switch box to the headphone base.
Yeah, none of the suggestions in this thread work. Tried it as I described in this thread about the same issue with a Denon AVR. Since the OP didn't come back, I guess we'll never know.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Mdrds6500 Digital Surround Headphones , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Sony Wireless Digital Sorround Headphones System Mdr Ds7500 , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page