Onkyo TX-NR929: 2013 Model. Users' Experience? Pros/Cons? Issues? Improvements over previous years' models? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-21-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just ordered the Onkyo TX-NR929. My Living Room system's 3008 got fried - no network recognition and no solenoid clicks to turn on the power amplification sections.

Last year, my Bedroom system's Onkyo 807 got fried: no HDMI recognition at all.

I'm giving Onkyo one more chance, hoping that finally, with the 2013 model year, one would think that they'd finally learn from their past and use an improved HDMI / Network Board or Card.

May I ask users' experience? Comments? Pros/Cons? Benefits, improvements? Or, are there issues?

Thanks so much.

It was important for me to get a model with Audyssey MultEQ XT32, as this is my main Living Room unit:

I use it as a 7.1 system: the usual 5.1, plus Front High L+R. No zone 2 or zone 3.

Projector (Epson), BluRay (Sony), DVR Whole House version from FiOS Verizon. Very simple setup, except that everything is controlled by Crestron and it's all installed by an installer.

I'm hoping that by 2013's models, i.e. this one i just bought, the 929, Onkyo has finally gotten over their teething difficulties of their HDMI / Network Board and card issues.

How can a company be run with so many posts with this identical problem? Wouldn't there be some fair resolution or compensation?

Look forward to hearing replies.

Thanks to all in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 42
So you took a chance and bought it without reading my reply to your previous post. You're already concerned about the most important nagging issue with their receivers. I'm here to say I believe they fixed it. My 929 runs 35 degrees cooler than my Integra DTC9.8. It's like a McDonald's burger
I'm loving it.

I'm not the type to run an "Official Thread" so I'm appointing YOU!

BTW, I didn't know there were any farmers in New Yawk City. There were in my old upstate town.

Patrick
post #3 of 11 Old 10-22-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks Patrick for your reply. i sent you a Private Message.

we actually had "cross posted" at roughly the exact same time!! how very coincidental!

i did receive my 929 but i have an issue:

whenever i turn on Internet Radio, it would default to "Favorites" showing 0/40, i.e. 0 stations out of 40. this is despite the fact that the last time i used it before i turned it off was while it was on Pandora!!

with my 3008, it would clearly turn on and REMEMBER that i was on Pandora previously.

i poured over the Manual but nowhere does it mention that.

may i ask if you or anyone else knows how to get Pandora to be the default?

thank you very much in advance.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

When I click on NET on the remote it brings up NET TOP. Clicking on the icons brings up it's page and sometimes the name (Pandora) is followed by "internet radio". I get no default except NET TOP. If I want Pandora I have to select it.

I read your PM. I'm an erratic user so it's best I respond here.

Patrick
post #5 of 11 Old 10-23-2013, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mmm...interesting.

I do NOT get NET TOP at all.

say i turn off the 929 when i was previously listening to Pandora. now, i turn it back on. it says: Favorites 0/40

Reason: i have never entered any Favorites for Internet Radio stations.

Issue: it does not remember that i was last on Pandora IF i turn it on via the ethernet connected Crestron remote! If i were to turn it on via the front panel on/off button ON the 929 itself, it seems to remember that.

so, the issue might be with ethernet-triggered turning on!
post #6 of 11 Old 10-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

What if you turn it on with the 929 remote, select an HDMI input then select NET? At that point I would see the NET TOP screen. If you don't, call Onkyo.

Patrick
post #7 of 11 Old 10-26-2013, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

With the 929 remote, you should find most of the input button selections assignable but not Tuner or Net etc. So simply pushing the Net button should bring up the "Net Top" screen no matter what.

After you get that figured out, I would like to hear your comments on heights, wides or both. In a non laboratory level comparison between my Integra DTC9.8 and the 929 with out H&W hooked up, I would give a slight nod to the 929 sound wise. That included the 9.8 feeding a BIG Outlaw amp. But when the H&Ws were included, game over. But whether the H&Ws were included or not, the 929's Audyssey XT32 made the bass flatter and tighter.

Side note: I relegated the 9.8 to another room and wouldn't you know it, it made a big improvement over the Outlaw pre-pro it replaced.

Now I have to seek out some movies and music that take advantage of the 929's capabilities.

Patrick
post #8 of 11 Old 10-26-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi Patrick, et al:

thanks for your continued interest.

so pleased to hear that your personal experience has been super with the new 929! encouraging!

well, even though mine has been set up and working, i've not had much time to sit to listen critically.

one thing i noticed was that with a Bluray disk ("Atonement" film), there were some issues with the HDMI either not recognized or somehow not working with that particular disk! it would start, and play all the previews and ad types of shorts (like Focus Pictures propaganda type stuff), and THOSE would play and work normally, as though there is no issue whatsoever. when it came time to play the actual movie, the screen went black and the bottom left corner said something technical like "HDMI not read" or "HDMI not something", with the bitrate and a slash mark, and another bitrate shown, and maybe one more piece of info: not much, but around 3 lines of info in the very bottom left corner. the screen remained black for a very long time.

only upon opening the drawer and closing it again, and then fast forwarding the chapters, would i eventually get to the main movie, and managed to get it to start. who'd want to sit through all those ads again?!?

suffice it to say that it did end up playing, but not without fuss.

i had to stop the Bluray though (phone call), and when i restarted it, it had forgotten the spot i had stopped it! i suppose we can say that this may well be the issue between my Sony Bluray player and THAT particular disk, right? OR, is it really the issue of the new 929 being very choosy and fussy on the types of streams it receives from the Sony Bluray player? i do not yet know - it's only been a few days.

i can say, however, that the Crestron programming for "Pandora" told the AVR to go to a specific spot in its menu structure, and the 3008 had a different nesting structure than the 929, and hence i was getting the the "Favorites" spot on the 929 which was formerly the Pandora spot on the 3008. so...that riddle is solved. sadly, to change the Crestron requires my audio visual installer to come and reprogramming - it's a built in conspiracy to constantly have to call and get the audio visual guy to come and continue to pay him! Crestron is really in bed with the installers' community!

that said, i found an even superior workaround! my AVRs are all on one single media rack (Middle Atlantic, i think) in a media closet, and as such, cannot use any Infrared Remotes unless those blasters are installed. HOWEVER, surprise surprise, the Android app for Onkyo works remarkably well! In fact, i'd say that with the exception of the volume control sliding bar, it works almost exactly as expected! The range is excellent, of course, since it's wifi based. essentially, every morning, when i get up, all i do is use my Samsung S4 to turn on the 929 and select Pandora if it wasn't already on Pandora - which it isn't likely to be on, since the last function it was on was Cable TV, mostl likely, from the evening before.

Another thing to keep in mind, Patrick, vis-a-vis one's background, is that while i've been an audiophile for a very long time, eventually graduating to a Leveson power amp, and a hybrid pre-amp, with great speakers, in the past couple of years, i moved and in this current home, i decided to do all in-wall speakers. as such, these are severely compromised in quality compared with what i had previously. i had little choice. it was in-wall and everything looked and felt better, EXCEPT for the quality of sound. otherwise, it would have been floating a speaker here, 5 feet away from the back wall, with a thick speaker cable (or 2 sets if bi-amping) dangling, just very fussy for a new home. something had to give. in a pinch, i decided that i'd live with in-wall speakers, though not pleased with having to compromise, it was a decision that had to be made.

what types of speakers are you using, btw?

i use the usual 5.1 plus front highs. i realize the adage of wides before highs, but in my situation, wides would not have been possible, so i figured that front highs would be better than no front highs.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-26-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

PS: forgot this point --

when listening to music during the day (Pandora), as i work from home, i struggled with trying out the various music modes, as i'm not sitting in the sweet spot, even though i am centered between the left and right speakers.

i found that those NeoX DSX types of modes are overly diffused, as though the voices have been pushed way way back, like a Row Z presentation.

THX and Dolby PL Z (or whatever the acronym is) has a severe issue! that is: the singing voices are way way overly concentrated in the center channel. this is putting an undesirable stress and strain on the center channel speaker.

as such, i found that ALL these processed modes, THX included, either created too much voice in the center channel, or an overly diffused soundfield whereby it's pleasant IF one were merely walking around or, say, in the kitchen preparing food, so purely as background music.

so, i'm lost as to which listening mode would best utilize my 7.1 speakers and still present music attractively, without unpleasant processing.

i do like some forms of processing, but not if the result is an overly, severely diffused soundfield like NEO X DSX, where it sounds like you're in some hollow cave, and the singing voice comes out of nowhere, somewhere floating up in the air!

may i ask for others' views and preferences on which mode is best suited for music? (by music, i mean regular, standard 2-channel music, not some uniquely, preciously recorded atypical music source. i'm interested in playing most of the music out there appropriately, not merely one track for a showpiece of recording prowess like some multi-channel SACD or whatever that may be)

thanks in advance!
post #10 of 11 Old 10-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

I would suspect your player before the 929 for HDMI issues.

I was never able to build a dedicated HT and I might have a similar arrangement as you. It's open to the rest of the house. But unlike you, I found that I get an echo kind of sound out of the room with some of those sound formats. I'm still experimenting. In the room it sounds fine.

I'm still using some of my smaller NHTs but I've added active JBLs for wides and Meridians for L&R and for two channel only hi res music. Love the Meridians but they are problematic and all Meridians would be expensive. If I was starting from scratch I would go with Golden Ear Sevens surround system and maybe even their sub.

Patrick
post #11 of 11 Old 10-28-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Patrick et al:

thanks for your educated comment re: my HDMI issue with my Sony Bluray or my 929. yes, it does sound more likely that it is due to the blueray than the 929.

couple of questions:

- is the front USB port usb 2.0 or usb 3.0?
i cannot tell, even though i looked carefully.

how do you stream music to your 929?

which music mode do you listen to 2-channel music in? 2 ch stereo? 7 ch stereo? NeoX? PLII Z (Z adds height)?

thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr3008 9 2 Channel Network Home Theater Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr807
Gear in this thread - Nr3008 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page