Pioneer receiver overheating: defective or pushing it too hard? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-22-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
djsprinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a Pioneer VSX-822-K with four Infinity Primus P163BK bookshelf speakers and a PC351 center. I like to listen to loud music and use the virtual surround settings to send it to all channels. I go as loud as I can without the music sounding distorted which is maybe 75-85% of max volume, assuming the numeric indicator on the receiver is accurate for actual power output. I have all the speakers set to "small" and crossover at 100Hz; using two BIC F12s for bass.

At this volume, depending on the music, I can often only listen for 5-10 minutes before the receiver shuts down in protect mode. The receiver is quite hot to the touch afterwards. It's in a wide open area with plenty of ventilation in all directions and I even experimented with adding a fan, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. All my speakers are 8 Ohms and I have double checked all the wiring is correct, using quality 16 AWG.

All my searching so far seems to indicate that it's pretty rare for receivers to overheat when they're properly ventilated, so maybe this is just a defective unit, but I wonder if I'm perhaps pushing the power output far beyond its intended use. I can send the receiver in for repair/replacement but I'd hate to go through that process and encounter the same problem again. Any suggestions? Does this sound like a defective unit or am I just too demanding?
djsprinkle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 10-22-2013, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
jontyrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsprinkleΒ View Post

I recently purchased a Pioneer VSX-822-K with four Infinity Primus P163BK bookshelf speakers and a PC351 center. I like to listen to loud music and use the virtual surround settings to send it to all channels. I go as loud as I can without the music sounding distorted which is maybe 75-85% of max volume, assuming the numeric indicator on the receiver is accurate for actual power output. I have all the speakers set to "small" and crossover at 100Hz; using two BIC F12s for bass.

At this volume, depending on the music, I can often only listen for 5-10 minutes before the receiver shuts down in protect mode. The receiver is quite hot to the touch afterwards. It's in a wide open area with plenty of ventilation in all directions and I even experimented with adding a fan, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. All my speakers are 8 Ohms and I have double checked all the wiring is correct, using quality 16 AWG.

All my searching so far seems to indicate that it's pretty rare for receivers to overheat when they're properly ventilated, so maybe this is just a defective unit, but I wonder if I'm perhaps pushing the power output far beyond its intended use. I can send the receiver in for repair/replacement but I'd hate to go through that process and encounter the same problem again. Any suggestions? Does this sound like a defective unit or am I just too demanding?

Sounds defective to me - you should be able to crank it all the way up without it overheating, if the speakers are 8ohm. Especially if you have the speakers x-d over at 100hz
jontyrees is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 10-22-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
M Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Joshua Tree, CA
Posts: 9,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 125
The Infinity loudspeakers are low on sensitivity, so significant output power is required..
Be sure to provide @ least 3-4" of free-air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover. Also do not stack anything on top of the Pioneer.

Just my $0.05.... πŸ‘πŸ˜‰
M Code is online now  
post #4 of 8 Old 10-22-2013, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
jontyrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by M CodeΒ View Post

The Infinity loudspeakers are low on sensitivity, so significant output power is required..
Be sure to provide @ least 3-4" of free-air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover. Also do not stack anything on top of the Pioneer.

Just my $0.05.... πŸ‘πŸ˜‰

The amp still shouldn't shut down though, even if you have to crank it up to maximum volume to compensate for inefficient speakers. It would just be less loud than max volume with more efficient speakers. Either way, the amp should be able to run at full throttle without shutting down, and this one is only running at 75%. I've never tried it, but I THINK these things are designed to be able to run full out - seems pointless having a volume knob that goes up that high otherwise.

One thing that might be a factor - how do you have the channel level set? If you max'd out the gain on every channel in the manual eq options, you might be over driving the amp.
jontyrees is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 10-22-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
M Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Joshua Tree, CA
Posts: 9,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyreesΒ View Post

The amp still shouldn't shut down though, even if you have to crank it up to maximum volume to compensate for inefficient speakers. It would just be less loud than max volume with more efficient speakers. Either way, the amp should be able to run at full throttle without shutting down, and this one is only running at 75%. I've never tried it, but I THINK these things are designed to be able to run full out - seems pointless having a volume knob that goes up that high otherwise.

One thing that might be a factor - how do you have the channel level set? If you max'd out the gain on every channel in the manual eq options, you might be over driving the amp.

The AVR has thermal shutdown protection...
If the amplifiers are being pushed hard and there is inadequate free-air circulation it will shut down.....


Just my $0.05... πŸ‘πŸ˜‰
M Code is online now  
post #6 of 8 Old 10-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
music_to_my_ear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I would suggest contacting pioneer and asking them if that is normal. They will definitely be able to tell you if it is defective or not....after all they would know best


And I remember reading infinity primus speakers being low impedence speaker aka 4 ohms...so it could be a contributing factor. They can be hard to drive for such a low model receiver. Try using some old or smaller bookshelf speakers and see if those drive the receiver into meltdown mode
music_to_my_ear is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 10-22-2013, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
derrickdj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 146
An amp or avr has a max power limit and the position of the volume knob does not tell you if you have reached the limit. It depend on the content of the source. For example, bass heavy source will reach the power max sooner than sources that don't have a lot of bass. Improper ventilation is a major cause of over heating and shut down in units that are not defective.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
derrickdj1 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 10-22-2013, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
djsprinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well thanks everyone. Based on the responses, it sounds like it's most likely defective. I confirmed my speakers are 8 Ohms and tried swapping two of them for smaller, more sensitive speakers, but I still had the over heating issue after 10 minutes or so. The receiver has nothing on top or next to it, so there's plenty of room for ventilation. Even if Pioneer were to say it's not defective, I don't think I want something that overheats so easily so I'm going to try a different model. I'm leaning towards a Denon E300.
djsprinkle is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 822 K 400w 5 Channel A V Receiver Network Ready Pandora Ipod Iphone Black , Infinity Primus Pc351 Center Speaker , Bic America F12 12 Inch 475 Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Pc351 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off