AV Receivers - audio/video passthru - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-23-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am considering getting a AV receiver.

the quest ion I have is if you pug in all out components, Directv, Blu-ray, etc . . into the AV receiver and then plug one HDMI cable from AV receiver to TV can you get sound and picture from from Twith the AV powered off?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-23-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 499
If the AVR you buy has that feature, yes. The signal is simply "passed through" the AVR from the source* directly to the TV.

(*Depending on the AVR, it could be a user-selectable default source, or the last source selected before you powered off the AVR, or other.)

Unofficial Denon "guru" batpig provides more detail on this page.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperret View Post

I am considering getting a AV receiver.
the quest ion I have is if you pug in all out components, Directv, Blu-ray, etc . . into the AV receiver and then plug one HDMI cable from AV receiver to TV can you get sound and picture from from Twith the AV powered off?

Correct me if I misunderstand but I think what you are asking is if it's possible to watch, and hear, the TV without using the AV receiver and speakers.

It will depend on the receiver and whether it has the ability to pass a signal while it is in standby (power off) mode. I'm using a Pioneer SC-1522 that has this capability. I have my Blu Ray player and cable box connected to the receiver and then the receiver out to the TV. I can use the AV receiver and speakers or I can just use the TV to watch.

Actually, what I do is use one of my AV receiver's HDMI outputs to send signal to my projector and another to send signal to a small TV/monitor. I use the TV, and leave the receiver off, for quick things like checking the weather/news, programming the DVR, checking TV schedules, etc. This saves the lamp on my projector from a quick on/off cycle when I don't need/want to use the big screen.

If you have some flexibility with how you do your cabling you can probably find some other options, (ie. run signal to both TV and receiver, use ARC on the TV, etc). I only addressed your original question where you wanted to connect everything through the receiver.

post #4 of 4 Old 10-23-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 388
As long as the receiver has Standby Pass Through you'll be fine. And all your sources must be HDMI. Standby pass thru doesn't work on Composite or Component video.

Afro GT
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - 1522k by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page