Do HDMI 1.4a capable AV receivers support Ethernet Channel ? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Do HDMI 1.4a capable AV receivers support Ethernet Channel ?

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

hyperspaced's Avatar hyperspaced
08:31 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 6
10-25-2013 | Posts: 11
Hello,

Title is self explanatory. Do HDMI 1.4a capable AV receivers support Ethernet Channel ?

Does this mean that I hook-up the ethernet cable on my AV receiver and it acts as an Ethernet-over-HDMI network switch (i.e. a standard ethernet switch using HDMI cables) ?

Thanks.
M Code's Avatar M Code
08:50 PM Liked: 153
post #2 of 6
10-25-2013 | Posts: 10,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperspaced View Post

Hello,

Title is self explanatory. Do HDMI 1.4a capable AV receivers support Ethernet Channel ?

Does this mean that I hook-up the ethernet cable on my AV receiver and it acts as an Ethernet-over-HDMI network switch (i.e. a standard ethernet switch using HDMI cables) ?

Thanks.

Note that Ethernet is an option, but not mandatory for HDMI 1.4 AVRs..
To verify, you need to identify the specific brand/model..

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
balboa dave's Avatar balboa dave
10:43 PM Liked: 14
post #3 of 6
10-25-2013 | Posts: 222
Unless your manual explicitly state your component has Ethernet over HDMI support, no. AND, you'll need cables that support it too.
Ross Ridge's Avatar Ross Ridge
10:51 PM Liked: 81
post #4 of 6
10-25-2013 | Posts: 1,550
No AV receiver supports Ethernet over HDMI. In fact I don't think there is any device on the market that does support it.
hyperspaced's Avatar hyperspaced
08:36 PM Liked: 10
post #5 of 6
10-26-2013 | Posts: 11
So, are you saying that current HDMI 1.4a AV receivers don't even let the ethernet channel pass through ?

Okay, let me give an example in order to become more specific:

- I connect all my sources to a current AV receiver through HDMI (e.g. Yamaha RX-V 475). The AV receiver is connected to the TV through HDMI as well.
- Let's suppose that in 6 months from now, a TV capable of Ethernet-over-HDMI is out.
- I hook the ethernet cable to the new TV.
- TV and AV receiver are connected with ethernet-capable HDMI cable.
- QUESTION: Do I get ethernet on the Ethernet-over-HDMI capable connected sources ?
Ross Ridge's Avatar Ross Ridge
11:23 PM Liked: 81
post #6 of 6
10-26-2013 | Posts: 1,550
Your current receiver, like all AV receivers, doesn't support Ethernet over HDMI. If a TV ever comes out that supports Ethernet over HDMI, your receiver won't be able to connect to your home network through such a TV, nor will any device connected to one of your receiver's HDMI inputs.

I don't think it's likely that you'll find any TVs, AV receivers or any other device that supports Ethernet over HDMI in the next six months. Maybe not ever.
Tags: Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V475 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread