Keep current receiver and add external amp? Or upgrade? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Keep AVR-1800 and add external amp or upgrade to new receiver?
Add external amp to current receiver 1 100.00%
Sell current AVR and get a new one to drive fronts on it's own 0 0%
Sell current AVR and get a new one that has pre-outs to add external amp anyway later on 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-26-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm going to be moving soon and am faced with a decision. I currently have a Denon AVR-1800 which has pre-outs and runs at 75w x 5 channels. I'm going to be upgrading the front home theater speakers to either PSB Image T6's, Jamo C607s or Monitor Audio BX6's. The surrounds will have to be in-ceiling because there is no direct wall in the back and the WAF. The great room is 18x20, but it's open into other rooms, so I have to take that into consideration. I know that the 1800 doesn't have the power to drive the new speakers, so I have two options. I can either keep it and add an external amp like an Emotiva for the fronts and center channel and let the receiver handle the two surrounds, or I can sell the receiver and upgrade. I was thinking a Yamaha RX-A820 from last year or maybe a newer Denon. I would like to not need an external amp, and my budget is really up to $700 for a new AVR. That said, I wouldn't mind having the option to add an external amp later if I find it's needed. I know with the Yamaha, for example, I can bi-wire the front speakers to at least let the woofers get their own juice. It really bugs me that they drop pre-outs on all but the upper end models now. The problem (if you want to call it that) with keeping my current receiver is that I can't take advantage of all of the new bells and whistles in the new AVRs, like HDMI switching, etc. Which isn't a show-stopper....it's just that new is always better, right? (*sarcasm*).

I am really torn on this, so I need some input! It would be used 75% movies/25% music. I don't listen at stupid loud volumes because I have a baby, but when I'm home alone, it's definitely getting cranked.

Help!

-Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Buy a marantz sr7500 on accessories for less for $750. It will be plenty of power for any of those speakers. Not the latest room correction technology but still really good. I have one and its works really well with my monitor audio silver series speakers. Hope that helps. $750 for that receiver is a great deal. You can extend the warranty for a couple of years for maybe $50 more for peace of mind.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 587
IMO, if you like your current AVR, just add an Emotiva amp to it. If you're looking for features your current AVR doesn't have, replace it with a newer one that also has pre-outputs. Then, if/when you feel you need more power, add an Emotiva amp to it.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
imo Denon avr x3000 can be had right around your budget with some searching I would look into that as you would get latest features and excellent room correction

It's all fun and games until my wife notices something new in the entertainment center
Old 10-26-2013, 10:14 AM

The room correction technology is going to help you more than more power. Most of the experts in these forums seem to think that's been the biggest improvement with receivers in the last 10 years.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:24 AM

The marantz has pre outs as well.

Tags
Yamaha Rx A820 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver