Possible to insert an equalizer into a loop with Yamaha RX-V871 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-27-2013, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

like all modern receivers Yamaha RX-V871 doesn't have a tape monitor loop allowing for the insertion of an equalizer. It has a pre-out but no main in. Am I whistling Dixie here?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 01:13 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatnut88 View Post

like all modern receivers Yamaha RX-V871 doesn't have a tape monitor loop allowing for the insertion of an equalizer. It has a pre-out but no main in. Am I whistling Dixie here?

Yes, unless you have outboard amps. That would allow you to put the equalizer between the preouts and the amps. The AVR should have all the equalization capability you need.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, but kinda defeats the purpose of spending all that dosh on a receiver - as well as adding another level of complexity. Fortunately the TV/Video comes from a PC so the sound goes thru the EQ and Exciter before the AVR. THe AVR has Para-EQ but you cannot change it quickly as with a dedicated EQ. I had to study for a science degree to set the whole thing up.

Neil

Old 10-27-2013, 08:08 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

I'm guessing you should study some more.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:25 AM

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

I'm guessing you should study some more.

:-)

I guess what FMV is trying to say is that the 871 comes with YPAO which is a automated room EQ hence it is not entirely clear why you would would want to add an external EQ.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

The YPAO is a sales gimmick. Use that and watch the bass disappear completely.

Neil

Old 10-27-2013, 04:30 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The YPAO is a sales gimmick. Use that and watch the bass disappear completely.
Neil

Or, more accurately, set the bass at the proper level. Most amateurs use way too much bass in their playback. It reminds me of those cars going by leaving behind those thum-thump sounds.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
I'm kinda with you on this - although I have no experience with the Yamaha YPAO program. I used MCACC on my Pioneer VSX-1121, and thought the results were terrible. Took all the life out of an excellent receiver. As soon as I went in and manually adjusted all the eq's and channel levels, it was like a new machine - audio is now lively, full and colorful, and I don't feel like "I'm supposed to like it this way, even though I don't" As you say, it dialed the bass down to where it was non-existant - it was just a bunch of flat mids - like a Bose system. Anyway, enough slamming auto-correction - my question is what kind of equalizer are you using? Is it 5.1, 7.1? If it's only stereo, would you only be able to affect two channels? What kind of inputs and outputs does it have?

I'm pretty sure your receiver will allow you to manually set all your eq's - may just have to dig for it in the settings somewhere. The manual eq settings for Pioneer were somewhere in the MCACC setup - which is counter intuitive, but that's where they put them
Old 10-27-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Just stereo - 2 speakers. The equalizer is an oldie but a goodie. The behringer exciter is actually more important in terms of sound. The Yamaha replaced a previous Denon unit that was cheaper and sounded better - it's impossible to get good bass out of the Yamaha without inserting enhancers or fiddling with the poorly implemented in-built para eq (impossible to use on-the-fly). But the Denon didn't have HDMI or sufficient inputs. Surround I can live without as I don't watch the sort of shows that employ it to any effect.

Neil

Old 10-28-2013, 07:15 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it's impossible to get good bass out of the Yamaha without inserting enhancers or fiddling with the poorly implemented in-built para eq

Well, there are always subwoofers.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

nothing to do with speakers. solution is to put everything thru the media centre PC which then plugs into the exciter and eq and then the amp. all the fake surround stuff is then set up on the PC. Set the AVR to pure direct. basically I've blown a grand on the AVR as I could have done this with the better-sounding Denon and HDMI box. live and learn I guess.

Tags
Yamaha Rx V871 Receiver