Help me find a mid range receiver ( around $500-$600 ) with good features and upscaling - AVS Forum
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Help me find a mid range receiver ( around $500-$600 ) with good features and upscaling
mj79's Avatar mj79 10:51 PM 10-27-2013
Obviously 3d and 4k passthrough , but am looking for a quality receiver to replace my pioneer vsx 819 thats about 5 years old..

I was looking at the Yamaha 773 on A4L
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/YAMRXV773WABL/YAMAHA-RX-V773WA-7.2-Channel-Network-AV-Receiver-w/Wireless-Adapter/1.html

But was also interested in what Denon, Pioneer and sony have to offer

mj79's Avatar mj79 11:07 AM 10-28-2013
Bump... Really need any quick assistance , as I trust this forum more than b&m stores salespeople lol...

Is there anything that's a really good bang for the buck with good upscaling? The Sony 840 and 1040 got good reviews , as did a few denons in this price range. But am wondering if there is any quality difference in companies upscaling... Sony vs denon, vs pioneer, vs Yamaha etc
afrogt's Avatar afrogt 11:11 AM 10-28-2013
What sources are you upscaling?

What speakers do you have?

How big is the room?

Do you have a subwoofer? If so what make and model?

What features do you need besides 3D and 4K pass through?

Do you want the ability to add an external amp later?
rnatalli's Avatar rnatalli 11:43 AM 10-28-2013
The Yamaha is a solid choice. I like Denon myself as I prefer Audyssey to YPAO.
mj79's Avatar mj79 11:43 AM 10-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

What sources are you upscaling?

What speakers do you have?

How big is the room?

Do you have a subwoofer? If so what make and model?

What features do you need besides 3D and 4K pass through?

Do you want the ability to add an external amp later?

Well heres my setup

TV
Vizio M701

Current receiver -
Pioneer vsx 819

Speakers
fronts - polk monitor 60s
center - polk cs-2
rear- polk monitor 40s

DirecTV HD w Genie

Panasonic bdp-220 3d BR player
ps3
PS4 ( in 3 weeks )

So I guess Im looking to upscale anything I can..

Room is about 16x24

Sub is a Bill Fitzmaurice THT that is behind the couch

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/THT.html

3D 4K passthrough, Upscaling, 5-6 HDMIs, .. thats all I WANT... I want a quality receiver, that will last 5 years.. Any other options are great, Wifi, bluetooth, airplay/android ready, etc..

Not worried about multi room, as Ill never need it, nor will I need a separate amp, pre/pro setup
afrogt's Avatar afrogt 11:50 AM 10-28-2013
Quote:
DirecTV HD w Genie

Panasonic bdp-220 3d BR player
ps3
PS4 ( in 3 weeks )

None of those sources need upscaling, they're all HDMI and capable of 1080 resolution. You need need a receiver with multiple HDMI inputs.

That Yamaha 773 will be fine.

So would the Denon X2000, Marantz 5007 and probably the Sony 1040.

As far as 5 years from now? You cant futureproof as we have no idea what features are coming down the pipeline in 3-5 years.
mj79's Avatar mj79 12:15 PM 10-28-2013
Quote:

None of those sources need upscaling, they're all HDMI and capable of 1080 resolution. You need need a receiver with multiple HDMI inputs.

That Yamaha 773 will be fine.

So would the Denon X2000, Marantz 5007 and probably the Sony 1040.

As far as 5 years from now? You cant futureproof as we have no idea what features are coming down the pipeline in 3-5 years.

So there is no benefit from a receiver that will upscale? even with direcTV standard def and other programming?

Why would people spend $$ on a receiver that upscales, when all they are using is a dvd player? or old component source? I was just under the impression, it would upscale all sources to a better quality
afrogt's Avatar afrogt 12:54 PM 10-28-2013
i don't watch standard def programming at all because it looks like crap, especially on DirecTV.

You can only do so much with bad content. Garbage in = Garbage out.

Any of those receivers have upscaling built in so you're more than welcome to try it.

DVD movies are usually 480i/p and in widescreen already. Most blu ray players do a good job of upscaling that content.

SD content on TV isn't even widescreen and lower resolution than DVD so your TV will usually stretch this content to fill the screen. You might make it look a little better but don't expect HD quality from it. Your HDTV has a built in scaler too so no guarantee the scaler in a receiver will be any better than the scaler in the TV.
mj79's Avatar mj79 01:16 PM 10-28-2013
Quote:

i don't watch standard def programming at all because it looks like crap, especially on DirecTV.

You can only do so much with bad content. Garbage in = Garbage out.

Any of those receivers have upscaling built in so you're more than welcome to try it.

DVD movies are usually 480i/p and in widescreen already. Most blu ray players do a good job of upscaling that content.

SD content on TV isn't even widescreen and lower resolution than DVD. You might make it look a little better but don't expect HD quality from it. Your HDTV has a built in scaler too so no guarantee the scaler in a receiver will be any better than the scaler in the TV.

gotcha.. thanks for the heads up.. I guess I just assumed something different.. And to be honest, if my pioneer was 3d ready, I probably wouldn't be looking for a new receiver.. But since I am, I just wanted to make sure I got something that would last me another 5 years.. And with that said, it technically wouldn't need 4k passthru either since, I dont plan on buying a 4K set for at LEAST 5 years

5 years is my timeline, because thats when the warranty on my tv will end , and I will either sell it, or move it to a guest room..

So other than 3D, and a few options like a nice GUI, wifi, Bluetooth, airplay etc, are there any options that are really needed?

If not, it seems everywhere I look the Sony 840 has been said to be the best vale of 2013 and even into 2014, with its quality and features, with quite a few editors choice awards.. And thats right around $400, but then there are the options like the Yamaha 773 that I linked which seems to have more "power" for the price, minus a few features, and thats where I have a hard time deciding.. also receivers llike the x1000, pioneer 1023-1123 are also in that category as well, and was just looking for a few more options
Tags: Yamaha Rx V773wa Receiver , Sony Str Dn840
Up
Mobile  Desktop