Need new pro/pro help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-28-2013, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the market for a new home theater pre/pro. Currently I'm using a Sunfire Theater Grand IV balance out to a Emotiva XPA-2 and XPA-5, speakers are NHT Classic series and to Epik subs. My budget is under $3000. I do about 50% music 30% tv and 20% movies...We're closing on a new house in a few weeks and I'll be starting a Basement man cave/media room.
Because I listen to a lot of music, sound quality is of utmost importance, I'm going to need two HDMI outputs to run a Flat screen and a projector, 11.2 is a must...just because I'd like the latest formats so as not to want to upgrade in a year.
Units I'm looking at are, the Yamaha CX-A5000, Onkyo PR-SC5509, Integra 80.3...and anything else someone might recommend

Thanks

Mike

Sunfire Theater Grand IV, Emotiva Stealth 8, Adam powered monitors, Epik sub, Oppo DVD, Parts Express 15 sub kit, Epson projector...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-28-2013, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have the CX-A5000 and could not be happier. There are a couple of threads on the unit and I along with others have posted our reviews regarding the units. I would also look at the Marantz 8801 as you should be able to find one within your budget if you search on line for the best price. I am of the opinion that they are all good units but it will boil down to what type of features your looking for and what type of sound processing algorithm you are looking for and like ie. audysee x32 or YPAO. One thing the CX-A5000 does that was the deal breaker for me is it can allow you to switch HDMI inputs while in stand by mode if you want to just watch tv without having to turn the unit on. I use an HTPC with mine along with an Xbox 360 and there are times I don't want to turn everything on just to browse the internet or play an online game using my wireless headset. The new version of YPAO also per other reviewers seems to compare favorably to Audysee X32. The Yamaha units also have a very nice I-device app for controlling the units and a hidden contractor web menu that has all the setup perimeters so you can setup the unit very easily and quickly.

best of luck in your endeavors and I highly suggest if possible you personally audition whichever unit your interested in as your ears will provide your best judgment on what sounds good to you:)

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)
Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround
2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II
post #3 of 3 Old 10-28-2013, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Yamaha is high on my list...I've been on the CX-A5000 threads...biggest problem is the lack of XLR sub out...I know it's not a huge thing but it's just dumb that ALL the others have it and not the Yam...I've heard quality issues with the Onkyo's/Integras...but that might not be the newest units. I'm going to be calling my local Yam dealer today to see if the have a CX-A5000

Sunfire Theater Grand IV, Emotiva Stealth 8, Adam powered monitors, Epik sub, Oppo DVD, Parts Express 15 sub kit, Epson projector...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Yamaha Cx A5000bl Aventage 11 2 Channel Av Pre Amplifier , Onkyo Prsc5509 9 2 Channel 3d Ready Preamplifier , Onkyo Integra Dtr80 3
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page