Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #181 of 213 Old 04-16-2014, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Theater Design and Construction Thread
Sherbourn PT-7030, PA 7-350, PA 7-150, PA 4Z-75, C-12, Oppo BDP-103D
Klipsch La Scala I LCR with Crites AA crossovers & tweeters; Heresy I S&R surrounds with Crites crossover upgrades
Bill Fitzmaurice DIY THT subwoofers (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 213 Old 04-18-2014, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Somehow my six foot rca to xlr cables from hosa were quieter than the RCA to RCA. I was feeding RCA out on the AVR to xlr in on the amp.

That makes no sense, but that was my experience.

Xlr to xlr was the best connection for reducing noise.

Yah that definitely doesn't make any sense. What I also don't understand is I've read that for that short a distance XLR shouldn't make a difference over RCA anyway. It's usually only what a 1.5-3' cable?? Maybe as DD pointed out because of it's higher then normal SNR and gain but I didn't have anything connected and my speakers sensitivity are only 91-92db. Maybe I missed it but does Jlpowell have a hum with just his speakers connected?
post #183 of 213 Old 04-18-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 225
If it's any consolation to you all I do get a slight humm even connected to my Denon 3313.

DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Setup Thread

post #184 of 213 Old 04-18-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

If it's any consolation to you all I do get a slight humm even connected to my Denon 3313.

Yeah, I think the biggest issue is the sensitivity of our speakers. Even with the XLR cables I still have an audible hiss from my tweeters. But it is only audible from a couple feet away, so won't be a problem from my listening position.

Cheers!

Chuck

Klipsch La Scala I LCR with Crites AA crossovers & tweeters; Heresy I S&R surrounds with Crites crossover upgrades
post #185 of 213 Old 04-19-2014, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Ok that's what I was wondering. I guess DD is right and your speakers efficiency combined with the Sherbourn's high SNR makes it easier to hear. Mine didn't do it when I had my pioneer receiver hooked up. Did any techs from Emotiva tell you to ground from the pre/pro to amp or from the amp to the outlet?
post #186 of 213 Old 04-24-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaeel View Post

Ok that's what I was wondering. I guess DD is right and your speakers efficiency combined with the Sherbourn's high SNR makes it easier to hear. Mine didn't do it when I had my pioneer receiver hooked up. Did any techs from Emotiva tell you to ground from the pre/pro to amp or from the amp to the outlet?

No , they basically said deal with it and quit your whining lol!

My Setup Thread

post #187 of 213 Old 04-24-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

If anyone is interested in selling the Sherborun PA 7350 please PM me as I have a guy has messaged me and has offered well above our 999 price...

My Setup Thread

post #188 of 213 Old 07-25-2014, 10:24 AM

Liked: 10
been working very well so far, no audible hisses etc. loving it so far
post #189 of 213 Old 08-26-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Do you guys recall what came with the Sherbourn amp? I believe it was only rack ears and power cord. IIRC mine didn't have a manual in the box. Is that what you recall?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #190 of 213 Old 08-26-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
If anyone is interested in selling the Sherborun PA 7350 please PM me as I have a guy has messaged me and has offered well above our 999 price...

I just sold mine, and I think forum member Luke Kamp would be interested in selling his. He has a very small theater space with high efficiency speakers and the amp is ridiculously too powerful for his space. These are very nice amps and I have mixed feelings about selling mine, but they are just too much for high efficiency speakers unless you are in a huge room. I used XLR attenuators to make it work in my room. I'm going back to pro amps with input attenuators so I can better control the volume on my high efficiency speakers. Heck, I might just go back to an AVR with onboard amps.

post #191 of 213 Old 08-26-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Do you guys recall what came with the Sherbourn amp? I believe it was only rack ears and power cord. IIRC mine didn't have a manual in the box. Is that what you recall?
Mine arrived without a manual, but I believe some had them included. I have the PDF file and can email it if you need it.

Cheers!

Chuck

post #192 of 213 Old 08-26-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just sold mine, and I think forum member Luke Kamp would be interested in selling his. He has a very small theater space with high efficiency speakers and the amp is ridiculously too powerful for his space. These are very nice amps and I have mixed feelings about selling mine, but they are just too much for high efficiency speakers unless you are in a huge room. I used XLR attenuators to make it work in my room. I'm going back to pro amps with input attenuators so I can better control the volume on my high efficiency speakers. Heck, I might just go back to an AVR with onboard amps.
Yes my JTR triple 8's, as obviously you know , at uber sensitive. I went to just a Denon 4520. Running 9 channels. 2 for music. I hit reference easy with movies or music. I don't listen at reference but can rev there easily.

My Setup Thread

post #193 of 213 Old 08-30-2014, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I have about 20 hours on my 7-350 now. It sounds very nice. I'm using high efficiency speakers so it may be overkill using this amp. I bought it a year ago just after my theater had a water issue and was torn out. I'm almost done the rebuild so the amp didn't get used for nearly a year.

I had no hum and was using Monoprice RCA to XLR from my Denon to Sherbourn. I did get a Hum yesterday but it is clear what item is interacting with it. I have two subs connected via RCA with plate amps and no issues. What is causing the hum for me is my iNuke 6000DSP amp for the other two subs. If I connect a coax from the Denon to it the hum starts. Even if I unplug the iNuke from the wall my speakers hum.

So I've purchased some more wires from Monoprice and I'll find out soon if I can avoid the hum. I'll try a short RCA cable (coax) + a splitter directly to RCA to XLR 1.5 ft cables. I also have some RCA to TRS that I'll try.

In the end I may just sell the Sherborn or store it. I'm planning on an upgrade to a new Denon or Marantz or system capable of ATMOS at some point and will likely need an amp. From what I've read if you are XLR all the way around you should be fine with this amp.

Equipment: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds+Wides+Heights),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen

post #194 of 213 Old 08-30-2014, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
I'm going to sell mine as well. The 212s with S8s are driven easily with my a Denon 4520. Mine has less than hour on it. Part of me says keep it for some possible future use but I don't see when or what that might be.
post #195 of 213 Old 08-30-2014, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
I'm going to sell mine as well. The 212s with S8s are driven easily with my a Denon 4520. Mine has less than hour on it. Part of me says keep it for some possible future use but I don't see when or what that might be.
I've been thinking the same, but, but, but.....down the road are you going to find a high quality 7 channel Amp for what you'd sell it for? I'm in the same boat as you I think. My thought is that down the road (soon enough) if you go Atmos, you'll have a High Left, Right, Surround L, Surround R, Surround Back L, Surround Back R and need to make up 6 channels of amplification.

Agree or disagree?

Equipment: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds+Wides+Heights),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen

post #196 of 213 Old 08-30-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I've got Atmos figured out. My receiver has 9 channels so I'm sure the new Atmos version will have at least that. I'll just need a stereo amp for 7.1.4.

But I get your thought process as I know it's a great amp and I could never replace it for similar money. I just don't see me needing it in the next 5 years.
post #197 of 213 Old 08-30-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post
I've been thinking the same, but, but, but.....down the road are you going to find a high quality 7 channel Amp for what you'd sell it for? I'm in the same boat as you I think. My thought is that down the road (soon enough) if you go Atmos, you'll have a High Left, Right, Surround L, Surround R, Surround Back L, Surround Back R and need to make up 6 channels of amplification.

Agree or disagree?
Agree. My PA 7-350 is way overkill for my Klipsch Heritage speakers, but I'm keeping it anyway. In fact, I recently bought a PA 7-150 as well, so now I have 14 channels of Sherbourn goodness. I'm about to start my theater build and will definitely include ceiling speakers to support Atmos implementation. I also have a PA 4Z-75 that I can use for a couple more surround channels if called for in the future. I'm keeping all of them to protect for the future. With the minimal amount of $$ invested, it's a no brainer for me.

Cheers!

Chuck

post #198 of 213 Old 09-04-2014, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
Agree. My PA 7-350 is way overkill for my Klipsch Heritage speakers, but I'm keeping it anyway. In fact, I recently bought a PA 7-150 as well, so now I have 14 channels of Sherbourn goodness. I'm about to start my theater build and will definitely include ceiling speakers to support Atmos implementation. I also have a PA 4Z-75 that I can use for a couple more surround channels if called for in the future. I'm keeping all of them to protect for the future. With the minimal amount of $$ invested, it's a no brainer for me.

Cheers!

Chuck
I've decided to sell mine. I put it up in the Classified section. I'm near Detroit, so anyone in the Michigan, Ohio or Indiana area or in Canada up to Toronto might be interested.

post #199 of 213 Old 09-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I hope that you guys that are selling don't regret it in the future. For what we paid for these amps you can't touch them!

I'm a happy owner. My speakers are nominal 4 ohms and 87 dbs. So that helps too.
post #200 of 213 Old 09-04-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Honestly I already regret selling mine a bit, ha.
I bought three of those crown X1000 amps for dirt cheap from guitar center, to use with a Crown XLS202 I already had and now have worse buzzing than I got with the Sherbourn with the XLR attenuators (no buzzing from the Sherbourn without XLR attenuators, but using the attenuators added a bit of buzz in in my case). With the Sherbourn I couldn't hear any buzzing from my seats, but I can with the Crown amps - - - - so this whole experiment pretty much failed. In hindsight I wish I never sold my Onkyo TX-NR1007 to move into the pre-amp world.

I'm going to try to redeem it by getting out of the pre-amp world. I took advantage of that Denon 4520CI deal yesterday for $1k and I'll be looking to sell my Onkyo PR-SC5508. I'll probably return the three Crown X1000 amps since it's been less than a couple weeks. I don't think these high efficiency speakers need any more than a quality AVR amp, and it'll be nice to not have buzzing at all off an AVR again.

post #201 of 213 Old 09-05-2014, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think the Sherbourn would be awesome to drive my Klipsh THX 7.2 setup, but worried about only having a dedicated 15 AMP vs recommended 20 AMP. Would this be a complete circuit overload, or what?
post #202 of 213 Old 09-05-2014, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Solid View Post
I hope that you guys that are selling don't regret it in the future. For what we paid for these amps you can't touch them!

I'm a happy owner. My speakers are nominal 4 ohms and 87 dbs. So that helps too.
What is a reasonable amount to sell one that had less than 20 hours on it with 4 years of warranty? I'm asking for cost plus shipping. My cost was $1150 with taxes. Is that unreasonable and should I be at $1k?

post #203 of 213 Old 09-05-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx_golfer View Post
I think the Sherbourn would be awesome to drive my Klipsh THX 7.2 setup, but worried about only having a dedicated 15 AMP vs recommended 20 AMP. Would this be a complete circuit overload, or what?
Absolutely not. Dan Laufman has commented in the Emotiva Lounge that the only time you would risk overload on a 15 amp circuit would be under lab conditions with all channels driven to their max. capabilities for extended periods. With Klipsch speakers, that will never happen and I doubt it would happen with most any speaker combination. Case in point, my audio setup is temporary, since my theater isn't built yet. I'm powering all of my electronics (see signature) on one 15 amp circuit connected on a 50 foot long 16 gage extension cord. No problems with tripping breakers or distorted sound.

I see Jeff in Canada has one for sale. Go for it!

Cheers!

Chuck
Archaea likes this.

post #204 of 213 Old 09-05-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
I've decided to sell mine. I put it up in the Classified section. I'm near Detroit, so anyone in the Michigan, Ohio or Indiana area or in Canada up to Toronto might be interested.
I live in Michigan and if I had not recently purchased a PA 7-150 to go with my PA 7-350, I'd be making a deal with you. Timing is everything, I guess!

Cheers!

Chuck

post #205 of 213 Old 09-05-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post

I see Jeff in Canada has one for sale. Go for it!

Cheers!

Chuck
I can't pull the trigger just yet, but just trying to do some research to find the right AMP. Seems like a great price though.
post #206 of 213 Old 09-05-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
What is a reasonable amount to sell one that had less than 20 hours on it with 4 years of warranty? I'm asking for cost plus shipping. My cost was $1150 with taxes. Is that unreasonable and should I be at $1k?
I think $1K is reasonable, if i could, I would drive up to Detroit this weekend to get it.
post #207 of 213 Old 09-05-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Jeff - Most around here are selling in the 1300-1500 range from what I have seen. I wouldn't expect yours to last long at that price.
Archaea likes this.

post #208 of 213 Old 09-05-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

At one point I hooked my Sherbourn 7-350 up to my Monster Power HTS 5100 MK2 to see how much amps it pulled during typical use. It was completely negligable as expected. Having the unit powered on pulled power, having it power speakers at typical music listening or movie watching volumes didn't even change the amp load readout. (As would be expected on 98dB sensitivity at 1 watt speakers) -- so yes, I agree a 15amp circuit should be completely for anything aside from bench testing, though I did have a dedicated 20amp circuit for mine.

post #209 of 213 Old 09-05-2014, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx_golfer View Post
I think $1K is reasonable, if i could, I would drive up to Detroit this weekend to get it.
I have to go to Indiana (Kokomo) in a couple weeks for work, so I'm able to meet up with people in Indiana, Michigan and a fair bit of Ohio (Western side)

post #210 of 213 Old 09-05-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I have to go to Indiana (Kokomo) in a couple weeks for work, so I'm able to meet up with people in Indiana, Michigan and a fair bit of Ohio (Western side)
Sorry Jeff - Didn't mean to mislead you. I literally can't spend money right now. Finalizing new home loan and can't move money from savings until after closing.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherbourn

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page