The "Official" Sherbourn PA 7-350 Amp Discussion Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 197 Old 10-28-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Now that several of us here on AVS have the Sherbourn PA 7-350 the guys over in the "Great Deals" thread suggested an official discussion thread for ongoing use.

Here are a few links related to the Sherbourn PA 7-350.

Great Deals Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484761/sherbourn-emotiva-pa7350-7-x-350w-8-ohms-for-999

A few reviews:
http://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/sherbourn-pa-7-350-seven-channel-amplifier-preview
http://www.andrew-robinson-online.com/review-sherbourn-pa-7-350-7-channel-power-amplifier/

The user manual for the Sherbourn PA 7-350:
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0172/4516/t/3/assets/sherbourn_7-350_owners_manual.pdf?10499

Video - Panasonic VT50 55" | Panasonic BDT320
AVR - Denon X4000 | Sherbourn PA 7-350
Speakers - JTR Noesis 228HT | DIY Sound Group Volt V10 | JTR Captivator S2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 197 Old 10-28-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 224

post #3 of 197 Old 10-28-2013, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice room... Has anybody tried bi - wire or bi - amping with the Sherbourn ?
post #4 of 197 Old 10-28-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Which XLR cables did you go with? I still haven't decided on an AVR so I'm not sure if I'll be using XLR or RCA interconnects for the Sherbourn amp.

post #5 of 197 Old 10-28-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Here are the pictures of mine. The last one shows the closet where everything is wired up for my AV shelf. The VTI BL404-13 is on order and should arrive later this week, I'll update with pics of the Sherbourn on the bottom shelf (13" clearance).

post #6 of 197 Old 10-28-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Those are called "better cables" I believe is the brand. Nice quality quality cable for sure. I got them from a friend and fellow member. I currently have a Denon 3313 so I also ordered the Emotiva RCA 7 to 7 cable. But when I upgrade to balanced in the future the 9 better cables XLR will come in handy.
post #7 of 197 Old 10-28-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oybub1952 View Post

No I haven't and I am not sure on the parameters of doing so
post #8 of 197 Old 10-28-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

I wish I had a two-wheeler when moving mine. I was/am amazed at how heavy these monsters are.
When I was mounting the amp in my rack, I had a spot all planned for it right around the middle of the rack to leave some room for other items underneath it. Yeah, that didn't happen. I ended up putting it on a small saw horse and sliding it over to bolt it up. It's a little low, but it's in. I hope I never have to move that again.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #9 of 197 Old 10-28-2013, 02:55 PM

How do I post pics ?
post #10 of 197 Old 10-28-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by emr25 View Post

Which XLR cables did you go with? I still haven't decided on an AVR so I'm not sure if I'll be using XLR or RCA interconnects for the Sherbourn amp.

The XLR cables look cool IMO, but unless you have some really long cables there's no performance advantage over a standard high quality RCA cable. So you could just go with some good quality RCA's and not worry about which AVR you're going to upgrade too.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 197 Old 10-28-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emr25 View Post

Here are the pictures of mine. The last one shows the closet where everything is wired up for my AV shelf. The VTI BL404-13 is on order and should arrive later this week, I'll update with pics of the Sherbourn on the bottom shelf (13" clearance).

. I was looking at same rack. Not sure about the 13. Also. Bdi avion series. And Steve Blinn who makes beautiful racks. But a little pricey ..Pleaze let me know how you like it emr25
post #12 of 197 Old 10-28-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

The XLR cables look cool IMO, but unless you have some really long cables there's no performance advantage over a standard high quality RCA cable. So you could just go with some good quality RCA's and not worry about which AVR you're going to upgrade too.

Yeah I am definitely not making the XLR pre-out capability a priority in my AVR search. I'm hoping for some $900 or less sales prices on the X4000 sometime during the holiday season, if that happens I will be going with it as it has all of the features (Audyssey XT32, LFC, and SubEQ) I'm looking for.

What RCA cables would you consider high quality? I use Monoprice for just about everything but I know people aren't fond of the Monoprice RCA's. I've been looking at the BJC Belden 1694A cables.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm

Quote:

. I was looking at same rack. Not sure about the 13. Also. Bdi avion series. And Steve Blinn who makes beautiful racks. But a little pricey ..Pleaze let me know how you like it emr25

Will do, it is scheduled to be delivered on Thursday which means I will have it assembled no later than Friday afternoon I would guess. I'll post some pictures and initial impressions on build quality, etc. once I get it setup.

post #13 of 197 Old 10-28-2013, 03:36 PM

I ran two 20 amp dedicated lines and all new cl12 gauge wires for surrounds in two rooms ..I have one SVS. SB13 ultra on its way with another one right after I run XT32 on the Onkyo ..
post #14 of 197 Old 10-28-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

So does someone know the absolute reason for humming? Ground loop issue or what was it? I have a slight humm I can hear from several ft. It's not annoying but I would prefer no humming. And these are 89db sensitive Ild school JBL speakers. So when I go 101db sensitive JTR 212 Noesis will it be louder?
post #15 of 197 Old 10-28-2013, 05:04 PM

I just wired up my other Sherbourn to check. I have a very slight noise with my ear right up to drivers but I've also heard I have no business listening that close..anything beyond 12 inches and it disappears. How many other devices on the circuit you are using ? I had an electrician come in and run two dedicated 20 amp lines..I have one in each.
post #16 of 197 Old 10-28-2013, 06:03 PM

Liked: 13
post #17 of 197 Old 10-29-2013, 12:32 AM

Take notice of the bricks needed under this $20 Walmart stand or else the 7-350 would murder it ... lol
post #18 of 197 Old 10-29-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Very nice looking living room Boss! Looks comfy and you got some gear in there!

Look what just showed up via FedEx
post #19 of 197 Old 10-30-2013, 10:24 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Jbrown is correct unless you have long distance runs the RCA's are just as good. No reason at all to spend the extra money on XLR's. You will see DJ equipment and setups using XLR's bc they have long runs to speakers front and back and also tape wires to floors where people walk and step on the them. The XLR's are beefier to be able to take abuse and sturdier with the 3 pins for hooking and unhooking all the time.
Uing XLR's is better suited for musicians and Dj's for constant hook ups, long runs, and EMI interference concerns from all the other equipment and cables that's usually around them. For home theater and music RCA's will perform just the same. If someone wants to buy less expensive XLR's from monoprice or whatnot then that's fine but if your buying more expensive name brand interconnects then XLR's get a lot pricier than RCA's.
post #20 of 197 Old 10-30-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:

So does someone know the absolute reason for humming? Ground loop issue or what was it? I have a slight humm I can hear from several ft. It's not annoying but I would prefer no humming. And these are 89db sensitive Ild school JBL speakers. So when I go 101db sensitive JTR 212 Noesis will it be louder?

The humming could be coming from just about anything. Unhook everything and put back together one wire at a time. Relisten after each connection for our hum. Once you hear it again you will know your source. Then you can act accordingly (or not) to try and resolve your issue. I would first try and use a cheater plug. Get at HD for .69 cents or so.
Did you just realize hum or has it always been there?
post #21 of 197 Old 10-30-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHoggSocal View Post

Sweeeetttt!!!! Looking Good....
post #22 of 197 Old 10-30-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:

I just wired up my other Sherbourn to check. I have a very slight noise with my ear right up to drivers but I've also heard I have no business listening that close..anything beyond 12 inches and it disappears. How many other devices on the circuit you are using ? I had an electrician come in and run two dedicated 20 amp lines..I have one in each.

Oybub,
To bad you weren't in NJ I could have helped you to run your own 20 amp receptacles and install 20 amp circuits for you. I would have been apply to teach you how as long as I had the time to do it. The most time consuming part is running and snaking wires between the walls and floors. It can get very tricky and time consuming depending on where the receptacle is going.

How many feet of Cable did your run require? How much time did electrician spend snaking wires behind walls?
Im curious How much did he charge you for this?
post #23 of 197 Old 10-30-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperatore View Post

If someone wants to buy less expensive XLR's from monoprice or whatnot then that's fine but if your buying more expensive name brand interconnects then XLR's get a lot pricier than RCA's.

That's what I did. Even though it may not make a difference, I figure at $5 each x5... $25 isn't too much to spend to use the XLRs. If you got them might as well use them for that price. I have pro XLRs from guitar center and the monoprice ones stand up to them.
post #24 of 197 Old 10-30-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Of course I have! That's what this amp is made for wink.gif

Bi amping works awesome. With 4 ohm speakers you are receiving 1100 watts of unbridled power biggrin.gif

Bi wiring works flawlessly also. This amp makes it so convenient to biwire. It really comes in very handy that it has 4 speaker posts per channel. I don't think people comparing amps realize this or take it into account when comparing this amp to others. It really is a feature that makes it that much more special than other brand offerings. Specifically when comparing Emotiva's XPR reference level line.
Also, say you have a biwire speaker cable and your speakers only have one pair of binding posts. You don't need to go buy more speaker cables just use your bi-wire cable in reverse and have the 4 posts go into the amp. It works great.
This amp had bi wiring and bi amping in mind when they designed it. The Emotiva reference line XPR-5 doesn't have 4 speaker posts per channel. It cuts too much into their profit to add them. The XPR-5 only has 10 speakers binding posts whereas the Sherbourn PA 7 x 350 has 28 speaker binding posts. Oybub that's what makes the Sherbourn so much more special than other high powered amps. Even the Emotiva XPR-5 and XPR-2 together have only 14 speaker posts total. The Sherbourn is just the same inside but has twice as many speaker binding posts to plug into and takes up half the space as 2 XPR's from Emotiva.

Put the binding posts to good use and use them on your Rtia9's, CSiA6. You are going to need another amp for your surrounds or heights if you choose to bi-amp them. I own the RTiA line by Polk. They are great speakers. I love them. I would Bi-amp them though and not bi-wire. Those towers are rated to 500 watts. Bi amping them with 2 separate channels each will put them into another stratosphere. Trust me I have done it. It makes those speakers go from great to amazing sounding. The RTIA line by Polk are really nice sounding. Polk really makes some good sounding speakers. Excellent mid-range and great sounding silk tweeter. Bi amping really gives the bass what it needs. A good kick in the pants wink.gif
post #25 of 197 Old 10-30-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

Of course I have! That's what this amp is made for wink.gif

Bi amping works awesome. With 4 ohm speakers you are receiving 1100 watts of unbridled power biggrin.gif

Bi wiring works flawlessly also. This amp makes it so convenient to biwire. It really comes in very handy that it has 4 speaker posts per channel. I don't think people comparing amps realize this or take it into account when comparing this amp to others. It really is a feature that makes it that much more special than other brand offerings. Specifically when comparing Emotiva's XPR reference level line.
Also, say you have a biwire speaker cable and your speakers only have one pair of binding posts. You don't need to go buy more speaker cables just use your bi-wire cable in reverse and have the 4 posts go into the amp. It works great.
This amp had bi wiring and bi amping in mind when they designed it. The Emotiva reference line XPR-5 doesn't have 4 speaker posts per channel. It cuts too much into their profit to add them. The XPR-5 only has 10 speakers binding posts whereas the Sherbourn PA 7 x 350 has 28 speaker binding posts. Oybub that's what makes the Sherbourn so much more special than other high powered amps. Even the Emotiva XPR-5 and XPR-2 together have only 14 speaker posts total. The Sherbourn is just the same inside but has twice as many speaker binding posts to plug into and takes up half the space as 2 XPR's from Emotiva.

Put the binding posts to good use and use them on your Rtia9's, CSiA6. You are going to need another amp for your surrounds or heights if you choose to bi-amp them. I own the RTiA line by Polk. They are great speakers. I love them. I would Bi-amp them though and not bi-wire. Those towers are rated to 500 watts. Bi amping them with 2 separate channels each will put them into another stratosphere. Trust me I have done it. It makes those speakers go from great to amazing sounding. The RTIA line by Polk are really nice sounding. Polk really makes some good sounding speakers. Excellent mid-range and great sounding silk tweeter. Bi amping really gives the bass what it needs. A good kick in the pants wink.gif

Do you think that biamping doubles the power to each speaker?
post #26 of 197 Old 10-30-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHoggSocal View Post

That's what I did. Even though it may not make a difference, I figure at $5 each x5... $25 isn't too much to spend to use the XLRs. If you got them might as well use them for that price. I have pro XLRs from guitar center and the monoprice ones stand up to them.

Yeah I own some XLR's from monoprice that I use from my preamp pre out for a sub cable. They are really well made and nice looking for the money.
post #27 of 197 Old 10-30-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The humming could be coming from just about anything. Unhook everything and put back together one wire at a time. Relisten after each connection for our hum. Once you hear it again you will know your source. Then you can act accordingly (or not) to try and resolve your issue. I would first try and use a cheater plug. Get at HD for .69 cents or so.
Did you just realize hum or has it always been there?

I got the amp recently and just hooked it up as I was waiting on some JBL rebuild drivers. It is on a 15amp circuit that I have a Furman 20amp adapter used to plug it in. It will still humm with just the amp plugged in and speaker wires connected. I guess with everything else plugged into my power conditioner then into the same outlet it could have an effect. Remind me what the cheater plug is? Two prong with no ground?
post #28 of 197 Old 10-30-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:

Jbrown is correct unless you have long distance runs the RCA's are just as good. No reason at all to spend the extra money on XLR's. You will see DJ equipment and setups using XLR's bc they have long runs to speakers front and back and also tape wires to floors where people walk and step on the them. The XLR's are beefier to be able to take abuse and sturdier with the 3 pins for hooking and unhooking all the time.
Uing XLR's is better suited for musicians and Dj's for constant hook ups, long runs, and EMI interference concerns from all the other equipment and cables that's usually around them. For home theater and music RCA's will perform just the same. If someone wants to buy less expensive XLR's from monoprice or whatnot then that's fine but if your buying more expensive name brand interconnects then XLR's get a lot pricier than RCA's.

Completely agree, however when mixing in pro/consumer gear into a single system, the benefits of XLR's on your pre is more important. The output voltage and impedance will be different and in many cases the pro-gear will require a more powerful voltage to be able to run to full power. IF you aren't using any pro gear, then RCA will be as far as you would need to go. I unfortunately have at least 4 pro components in my setup, so I benefit strongly from the use of XLR outs on my Marantz. I will post a pic this evening of my rack with the 7-350 (and the 2z-75 zone switching amp biggrin.gif )

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #29 of 197 Old 10-30-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:

I got the amp recently and just hooked it up as I was waiting on some JBL rebuild drivers. It is on a 15amp circuit that I have a Furman 20amp adapter used to plug it in. It will still humm with just the amp plugged in and speaker wires connected. I guess with everything else plugged into my power conditioner then into the same outlet it could have an effect. Remind me what the cheater plug is? Two prong with no ground?

correct, and only should be used to rule certain sources of hum out, not used as a permanent fix biggrin.gif

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #30 of 197 Old 10-30-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

correct, and only should be used to rule certain sources of hum out, not used as a permanent fix biggrin.gif

I enjoy your sense of humor amongst all the stiff serious people on this forum smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherbourn

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page