Best rcvr for $2000-$3000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 10-28-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Chris_Stephens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Phoenix Az
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I am not keeping up. WHats the best flagship Rcvr for like $2000-3000...

Also does anyone know when HDMI 2 is gonna ship in rcvrs ?
Chris_Stephens is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 41 Old 10-28-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Chris_Stephens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Phoenix Az
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Also.... In addition... Whats the best mid level rcvr. Like $1500...
Chris_Stephens is offline  
post #3 of 41 Old 10-28-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
braveheart123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lone Wolf McQuade from Islamabad Pakistan
Posts: 1,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Stephens View Post

So I am not keeping up. WHats the best flagship Rcvr for like $2000-3000...

Also does anyone know when HDMI 2 is gonna ship in rcvrs ?

If pure music/movies is your requirement and you don't mind not having extra bells n whistles in typical run of a mill receiver, CA Azur 751R is best receiver money can buy. It is a true a/v home cinema receiver.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
braveheart123 is offline  
post #4 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Chris_Stephens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Phoenix Az
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Awesome, great suggestion. I would have never thought of that.

Any other similar products I should look at ?

Also what about one for say $1500 ?
Chris_Stephens is offline  
post #5 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

If pure music/movies is your requirement and you don't mind not having extra bells n whistles in typical run of a mill receiver, CA Azur 751R is best receiver money can buy. It is a true a/v home cinema receiver.

I've never heard the CA 751R but to say it is the "best receiver money can buy" is quite a statement to make IMO. Have you heard all the latest offerings from Onkyo, Denon and Marantz? I'm sure the CA 751R is an excellent receiver but the best one at any price I kind of doubt that. The CA 751R has Audyssey 2EQ which is the most basic version of Audyssey which doesn't even EQ ones sub.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #6 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Stephens View Post

Awesome, great suggestion. I would have never thought of that.

Any other similar products I should look at ?

Also what about one for say $1500 ?

I would suggest looking at Denon's AVR X-4000 and 4520. Also the Marantz 7008 would be another receiver worth looking at. Compare these to the CA 751R as far as features and specs go.

You do not list what speakers you have, room size or what your listening preferences are (more movies or music or vice versa) and normal listening volumes. If you have a room that can utilize room correction then Audyssey XT32 would be an excellent feature to have. Both of the Denons and the Marantz I mentioned have XT32.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #7 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
braveheart123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lone Wolf McQuade from Islamabad Pakistan
Posts: 1,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
I've never heard the CA 751R but to say it is the "best receiver money can buy" is quite a statement to make IMO. Have you heard all the latest offerings from Onkyo, Denon and Marantz? I'm sure the CA 751R is an excellent receiver but the best one at any price I kind of doubt that. The CA 751R has Audyssey 2EQ which is the most basic version of Audyssey which doesn't even EQ ones sub.

Bill

If Audyssey variants are the deciding factor, CA doesn't need one. They acquired the lowest version of audyssey only coz they wanted to have DynamicEQ, which one can easily use without Audyssey. None of the CA owners uses Audyssey. It does an unparalleled job at reproducing audio signal with spot on accuracy. I haven't heard the latest from Onkyo, Denon, and Marantz. But I have owned Yamaha (RX-V363, RX-V3900), Onkyo 809, and Denon 3313. These avrs are not within miles of CA Azur 751R in terms of sound processing.

But like I said, if OP doesn't mind not having most of modern day bells and whistles; CA is a great avr. CA has the best audio processing I've ever heard. And at the same time; they have the WORST customer services on the planet.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
braveheart123 is offline  
post #8 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
holt7153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 3,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

The CA 751R has Audyssey 2EQ which is the most basic version of Audyssey which doesn't even EQ ones sub.

An interesting choice for a $3K receiver.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
holt7153 is offline  
post #9 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

If pure music/movies is your requirement and you don't mind not having extra bells n whistles in typical run of a mill receiver, CA Azur 751R is best receiver money can buy. It is a true a/v home cinema receiver.

I think you'll receive superior sound quality (see an infinitely superior room correction in Audyssey XT32 which IS readily AUDIBLE), a truckload more of the "bells and whistles" (too many of importance to most to list...and no GUI on a $3,000 AVR in 2014 isn't "sound oriented, it's just plain dumb) and just as stout build quality going with a Denon 4520 or Yamaha 3030...while saving the better part of $1000.

While I've accepted the fact that a percentage of people are going to believe that a "boutique" (Arcam, Anthem, NAD, Cambridge, etc) brand AVR/PRE PRO "sounds better" while costing more and offering less, there's been absolutely nothing that has convinced me to agree with the assertion.

Good luck.

James
Janibrewski likes this.

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

 

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

mastermaybe is offline  
post #10 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
braveheart123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lone Wolf McQuade from Islamabad Pakistan
Posts: 1,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
no GUI on a $3,000 AVR in 2014 isn't "sound oriented, it's just plain dumb

Who said no GUI? It does have OSD, which is enough um sure. And OP himself stated his budget was $3K. What's wrong with CA 751R? He can go audition multiple AVRs as he deems best and find out the sonic differences himself. What's the big deal?

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
braveheart123 is offline  
post #11 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 145
^ the review I read said it did not offer a GUI, but if it does, I regret the error.

I don't think the question is necessarily "what's wrong with the CA 751R" but rather: "what's the best option"?

And there's nothing that compels me to think it's the Cambridge over the options I and others have supplied. Your subjective opinion on sound quality is no more valid or invalid than anyone else's. I can however list numerous features and benefits the Yamaha and Denons offer over the Cambridge.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

 

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

mastermaybe is offline  
post #12 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
Chise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Pioneer SC-77 or 79 and Denon4520ci
Chise is offline  
post #13 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
braveheart123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lone Wolf McQuade from Islamabad Pakistan
Posts: 1,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

^ the review I read said it did not offer a GUI, but if it does, I regret the error.

I can however list numerous features and benefits the Yamaha and Denons offer over the Cambridge.

James


You are being such a tough nut I won't even try cracking. How many times do I have to say "IF OP DOESN'T MIND NOT HAVING MOST OF THE BELLS AND WHISTLES AND IS AFTER PURE AUDIO AND VIDEO; CA IS THE ROUTE"?

Now if you can count gazillion features that an xyz does or does not have over CA, who cares? It's up to OP to audition and decide for himself. CA or no CA, it's his money and his choice.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
braveheart123 is offline  
post #14 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Chris_Stephens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Phoenix Az
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My client has a seriously high end reference system in a dedicated room. So with this kind of reference my client does appreciate sound quality possibly more then bells and whistles. We need 3 rcvrs. One will be flagship of the brand level and the other 2 like mid level. All will be driving most likely some version of BG Radia speakers. The acoustics of all the rooms involved are not good, so EQ would be useful. So would time domain corrections if that kind of processing is avaliable at this price range. The flagship level rcvr needs a second zone. I would prefer the amp builtin and dedicated to the second zone. Gotta be HDMI 1.4. Sources would be a Oppo BluRay, DirecTV HR44, Apple TV. All HDMI.. I would like for HDMI audio from the sources to get decoded for the second zone. Its gonna be on automation so a rear IR, RS232 or network control is required. Main zone 5.1 maybe 7.1

The mid level rcvr would be single zone. Same source plus say 2 gaming systems. AUtomation required. Lower end BG Radia. Room again not great so some form of correction would be good.

I just have not kept up with whats the best rcvr these days. You guys are far more knowledgeable on this then I. Its hard to keep up with these..
Chris_Stephens is offline  
post #15 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
PeterK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The very wet, humid, muggy South !!
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I would think the Denon 4520 would be the "best" for the primary application due to it having fully configurable amps to help with multi-zone setup, having all the latest features and room correction. It is highly regarded here - check the huge 4520 thread. Lots of assistance available here and great pricing if purchased through AVS.

Also the Yamaha 3030 would be a serious contender. The Pioneer Elite 79 should be a competitor but is difficult to find to purchase and uses MCACC vs Audyssey if that is a factor.
Would think you would want to stay within a same brand/series product for all 3 receivers to keep the learning curve minimal and remote functions the same.
PeterK is offline  
post #16 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

If Audyssey variants are the deciding factor, CA doesn't need one. They acquired the lowest version of audyssey only coz they wanted to have DynamicEQ, which one can easily use without Audyssey. None of the CA owners uses Audyssey. It does an unparalleled job at reproducing audio signal with spot on accuracy. I haven't heard the latest from Onkyo, Denon, and Marantz. But I have owned Yamaha (RX-V363, RX-V3900), Onkyo 809, and Denon 3313. These avrs are not within miles of CA Azur 751R in terms of sound processing.

But like I said, if OP doesn't mind not having most of modern day bells and whistles; CA is a great avr. CA has the best audio processing I've ever heard. And at the same time; they have the WORST customer services on the planet.

Not be argumentative but now you are saying the CA 751R is "great" where earlier it was "best receiver money can buy". You obviously own the CA 751R so your "biased" subjective opinion leads you to state such things. I own a Denon 4311 and I think it is an excellent AVR. But I'm going to try to convince others here that it is the "best receiver money can buy" wink.gif I would say no CA owners use Audyssey because it is the lowest version available. I would hazard to guess that if the CA 751R had XT32 many CA owners would be using it wink.gif.

Could you explain what the CA 751R does to reproduce the "audio signal with spot on accuracy" that other AVRs in the $2K-$3K do not do? So the CA 751R can do this in all types of different rooms where a more advanced form of room correction would be helpful? How does one EQ their sub(s) with the CA 751R? Does it have an onboard PEQ?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #17 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
braveheart123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lone Wolf McQuade from Islamabad Pakistan
Posts: 1,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Could you explain what the CA 751R does to reproduce the "audio signal with spot on accuracy" that other AVRs in the $2K-$3K do not do? So the CA 751R can do this in all types of different rooms where a more advanced form of room correction would be helpful? How does one EQ their sub(s) with the CA 751R? Does it have an onboard PEQ?

As regards EQing the sub, I am more of a purist and do not let any auto eq programs (ypao/audyssey/mcacc) to tinker with the sub response. I use BFD and so can anybody. I'm not pushing the OP to buy CA. Since I'm posting this thread, so this is my opinion. It is for the OP to decide which AVR he wants based on his requirements.

For A/V performance of CA, read the home theatre review and its bench tests and other user reviews. It is the best A/V performer I've ever owned and yet it has the worst customer services in CE world. So, it tops on either side of the balance.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
braveheart123 is offline  
post #18 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Senior Member
 
sdv5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Cambridge Audio 751R costs $2700. Would it not be possible to obtain better sound by spending $1000 on a receiver and $1700 on external power amplification. As good as 751R is, it will have a hard time competing with dedicated multi-channel power amplifier especially if speakers are difficult to drive.
sdv5 is offline  
post #19 of 41 Old 10-29-2013, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
braveheart123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lone Wolf McQuade from Islamabad Pakistan
Posts: 1,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Cambridge Audio 751R costs $2700. Would it not be possible to obtain better sound by spending $1000 on a receiver and $1700 on external power amplification. As good as 751R is, it will have a hard time competing with dedicated multi-channel power amplifier especially if speakers are difficult to drive.

I bought 751R for US$2250, so I got it very cheap compared to its market price. As regards getting an external amp and pairing it with a cheaper amp; yes this is a very valid proposition.

But I don't think it will make the system sound any better in an HT setup where a subwoofer is also doing bass duties and covering the power hungry speactrum of sound (100Hz and below). I would rather invest in a $1700 subwoofer.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
braveheart123 is offline  
post #20 of 41 Old 10-30-2013, 12:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

As regards EQing the sub, I am more of a purist and do not let any auto eq programs (ypao/audyssey/mcacc) to tinker with the sub response. I use BFD and so can anybody. I'm not pushing the OP to buy CA. Since I'm posting this thread, so this is my opinion. It is for the OP to decide which AVR he wants based on his requirements.

For A/V performance of CA, read the home theatre review and its bench tests and other user reviews. It is the best A/V performer I've ever owned and yet it has the worst customer services in CE world. So, it tops on either side of the balance.

Adding the BFD will just add to the cost of the CA 751R. Anybody can add a BFD to their system but for me it certainly wasn't an easy experience. The moment I added the BFD to my system it caused a very loud hum that I couldn't get rid of. Then there is the whole learning curve of using the BFD. I have to admit I'm not the most technical adept person so with the hum and the steep learning curve I returned the BFD.

I'll pass on reading any reviews as the few I glossed over on the CA site were filled with the usual superlatives that I didn't see the need. The way I look at is if the CA 751R was the "best receiver money can buy" then there would be much more talk about that here on AVS. With that said I haven't seen much if many mentions about the CA 751R here on AVS. That is other than your occasional plugs of it's superiority over every other AVR out there.

Yes you are just posted your opinion but it is one that if unquestioned would have everyone buying the CA 751R sight unheard wink.gif. I certainly wouldn't call $2250 "cheap" for an AVR with basic features and the lowest version of Audyssey. You would think at that cost CA would have at least sprung for XT or better yet XT32.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #21 of 41 Old 10-30-2013, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
braveheart123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lone Wolf McQuade from Islamabad Pakistan
Posts: 1,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Yes you are just posted your opinion but it is one that if unquestioned would have everyone buying the CA 751R sight unheard wink.gif. I certainly wouldn't call $2250 "cheap" for an AVR with basic features and the lowest version of Audyssey.

It is cheap as per my pocket wink.gif. For you, understandably, the best is 4311.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
braveheart123 is offline  
post #22 of 41 Old 10-30-2013, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
braveheart123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lone Wolf McQuade from Islamabad Pakistan
Posts: 1,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
You would think at that cost CA would have at least sprung for XT or better yet XT32.

Audyssey XT32 is not like oxygen without which every living organism will just perish. It is for people like you who like to auto set and forget, which I don't see has anything wrong with it.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
braveheart123 is offline  
post #23 of 41 Old 10-30-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Adding the BFD will just add to the cost of the CA 751R. Anybody can add a BFD to their system but for me it certainly wasn't an easy experience. The moment I added the BFD to my system it caused a very loud hum that I couldn't get rid of. Then there is the whole learning curve of using the BFD. I have to admit I'm not the most technical adept person so with the hum and the steep learning curve I returned the BFD.

I'll pass on reading any reviews as the few I glossed over on the CA site were filled with the usual superlatives that I didn't see the need. The way I look at is if the CA 751R was the "best receiver money can buy" then there would be much more talk about that here on AVS. With that said I haven't seen much if many mentions about the CA 751R here on AVS. That is other than your occasional plugs of it's superiority over every other AVR out there.

Yes you are just posted your opinion but it is one that if unquestioned would have everyone buying the CA 751R sight unheard wink.gif. I certainly wouldn't call $2250 "cheap" for an AVR with basic features and the lowest version of Audyssey. You would think at that cost CA would have at least sprung for XT or better yet XT32.

Bill

Ha ha...reviewers LOVE "boutique" pre pros and AVRs. It gives them an all-day pass to make a vampire-like raid on the thesaurus and textually drool over a product that offers their readers loads of the "non-best-buy/commercial" appeal while fortifying their carefully calculated A/V ipseity. Or basically: what most of them are really looking for in the first place.

And yeah, forgoing XT 32 for a lesser Audyssey RC system in a unit at this price point is unforgivable. You don't have to use it at all, but certainly if it's (room correction) to be included it should be of the highest order at this level.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

 

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

mastermaybe is offline  
post #24 of 41 Old 10-30-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

Audyssey XT32 is not like oxygen without which every living organism will just perish. It is for people like you who like to auto set and forget, which I don't see has anything wrong with it.

I would disagree nearly 100%. It is an extremely sophisticated, easy-to-use tool that can solve- or at least greatly lessen- the common problems that evolve when you place loudspeakers in a room with 6 or more boundaries and a ton of other "stuff". It's effects can be proven empirically through measurement. The "set it and forget it" just happens to be a MASSIVE perk. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

 

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

mastermaybe is offline  
post #25 of 41 Old 10-30-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
braveheart123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lone Wolf McQuade from Islamabad Pakistan
Posts: 1,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
And yeah, forgoing XT 32 for a lesser Audyssey RC system in a unit at this price point is unforgivable. You don't have to use it at all, but certainly if it's (room correction) to be included it should be of the highest order at this level.

Agreed. You are right, but I didn't require one.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
braveheart123 is offline  
post #26 of 41 Old 10-30-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 501

Braveheart the location in your profile seems to describe you well in this thread, you seem to be the lone wolf with regards to the use of auto calibration. :D 

 

Sadly I don't know nearly enough about dialing in my system on my own so I depend heavily on Audyssey which I like much better than YPAO (I have no experience with MCAAC). The OP said his client has rooms that do not have good acoustics so it sounds like they would benefit from a good AVR with a solid RC system like Audyssey. That being said I second the suggestion made by Bill Mac, I would go with either the Denon 4520 or the Marantz SR7008.

 

Both brands are well known for their sound quality, they have good power and great features. Also, both brands have good mid priced AVRs that would easily handle the needs stated by the OP and that makes learning the operation of all three receivers much easier (assuming all three would be the same brand).

Hopinater is offline  
post #27 of 41 Old 10-30-2013, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
braveheart123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lone Wolf McQuade from Islamabad Pakistan
Posts: 1,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Braveheart the location in your profile seems to describe you well in this thread, you seem to be the lone wolf with regards to the use of auto calibration.

The location in my profile that made your eyes pop out like the image in your profile has nothing to do with auto/manual cal approach wink.gif FWIW I used YPAO/Audyssey MultiEQ XT for a fair amount of time and um not saying auto cal routines are rubbish. But when it comes to subwoofers, I like keeping things in my own hand and do it manually which works great.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
braveheart123 is offline  
post #28 of 41 Old 10-31-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
 But when it comes to subwoofers, I like keeping things in my own hand and do it manually which works great.

Makes good sense.

Hopinater is offline  
post #29 of 41 Old 10-31-2013, 04:04 PM
Senior Member
 
wes182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If money is a consideration youu can get the Yamaha rxa-3010 or rxa-2010 at best buy at a good discount.
wes182 is offline  
post #30 of 41 Old 10-31-2013, 06:01 PM
Member
 
johnny hotsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago Suburbs, IL
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes182 View Post

If money is a consideration youu can get the Yamaha rxa-3010 or rxa-2010 at best buy at a good discount.

I recently grabbed a Yamaha RX-A2020 open box from BB for $700. No regrets on the purchase smile.gif
johnny hotsauce is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Cambridge Audio Azur 751r Black , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Marantz Sr7008 , Yamaha Rx V363 Receiver , Yamaha Rx V3900bl Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Pioneer Sc 79 , Pioneer Elite Sc77 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off