Best Audio Video Receiver To Replace Old Harman Kardon AVR 247 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which option should I take?
Repair my AVR 247 myself. 0 0%
Pay someone to repair my AVR 247 it for me. 1 50.00%
Replace my AVR 247 with a new receiver. 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-29-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Well it's time.  My AVR 247 that I have always loved and used so much has died on me.  The problem is, there is no video output at all.  I can not get the OSD (for the AVR settings) to come up on my TV at all.  I know the TV is ok because I have tested my components (such as the DVD player) and they work great together.  The audio and everything else works great, I just can't seem to get video to display out the HDMI or composite monitor out ports.  I have opened it up looking for bad caps or something that would look damaged but found nothing out of place.  I think this MIGHT have been caused by lightning but the more I read online, this just happens to people sometimes with this receiver.  It's currently perfect for what I do with my media room and I want to look at my options.

1. I could repair my AVR 247 myself:
    If someone might know what is wrong with it (maybe a logic board) and could tell me or direct me to a thread showing/telling me how to fix the issue that would be GREAT!!!

2. I could pay someone to repair it for me:
    If I was looking for a local repair shop what would I look for?  What would be a good price for me to get it repaired?  What kind of time frame should I expect?  Any extra info here would be great too!

3. I could look at getting it replaced:
    Buying a new receiver is something I would hope to avoid but it might be the best thing for me to do.  If this is the route I need to go then I would be looking for a receiver that does everything my AVR 247 does.  Well not everything, I don't really use the multi zones (though a nice feature) or all the speaker leads.  Also it's important to note I would not use any EXTRA capabilities of a new receiver more than likely.  For example, if the new receiver had networking capabilities they would not get used.  I have my entire media experience running through a computer.  I just need a good receiver to switch all my components (no matter what source they might be) to an output of HDMI 720p/1080i and that has great sound.  As of today, the main things I would require in my new AVR would be the following...
    - HDMI Upscaling/Upconverting
    - 5.1 Speaker configuration.  (2 front speakers, 2 surround speakers, a center speaker, and a subwoofer)
    - Output to a 720p/1080i display.  (If It has 4K capabilities I would not cry, just use it on a new TV when I get one)
    - At least 50 Watts+ per speaker channel
    - AM/FM Tuner
    - HDMI output (monitor)
    - Component output (monitor)
    - Composite output (monitor)
    - HDMI inputs (at least 3)
    - Component inputs (at least 2)
    - Composite inputs (at least 2)
    - Optical inputs (at least 2)
    - Just like my AVR 247 I would like these inputs to be dynamic.  I can make almost any combo of audio and video inputs work for a source.  For example, I can use a HDMI source for video and an analog audio source like composite

So what do you think I should do?  Thanks so much for any help upfront!  These forums are packed with great info and good reading!  This forum looks to have a great community of people on it!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Well I vote for a replacement, and although your requirements should be straightforward to meet(save for the composite monitor output) you may have a hard time finding a new AVR that can match the all channels driven performance of the old HK. The good news is that room correction systems have come a long way and should give you a solid improvement in SQ.

The cost to repair could easily top 400 if parts can even be found, and then you have a 6+ yr old unit that may fail again in a year.

You haven't mentioned your speakers, if they are 4 ohm and/or you have a large room or like reference sound levels, you may be unhappy with a budget $400 model. But I should think a Denon X3000 or 3313 should be worth a look, depending on your budget. Onkyos can be had for less, and if you have a higher budget I'd suggest a model with the best Audyssey room correction version, XT32.

Food for thought, anyway.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-29-2013, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

I have a set of 8 ohm speakers.  I don't need a lot and the current cheap KLH Audio satellite speakers I have work great for me.  I did upgrade the center to a larger Sony rated at 6 ohms, and my sub is an old Optimus 200W 12" subwoofer.  I have upgraded little bits here and there but most of the equipment is older.  Hehe when it's working good why change it.  ;)

I'm not going for an impressive feat here just something to listen to my movies like I'm deaf and maybe a bunch of music at a party.  Mainly I'm just concerned on a switching device...  I know that makes you want to slap me but it is the truth...  I'm not going for quality as much as the next guy would be, that's why my AVR 247 was perfect for me.  I had a small price tag in mind so with that said...  What would be a good Onkyo model to go after?

post #4 of 9 Old 10-29-2013, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

I hear you, why spend more than you need to.

I don't follow the brands like I used to, but Onkyo introduced their new line up, so the old models are being discounted. The 616 or 717 would be pretty good, even the 515, depending on your needs. Denon has the X1000 for around the same money. I'm sure pioneer and Yamaha have options, but I don't know their lines at all.

AV science has a store and you might give them a call, their sales guys cruise this forum and seem pretty knowledgeable, if you're okay with on line purchases. New egg and Amazon plus others want your money too!
post #5 of 9 Old 10-29-2013, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How much are you looking to spend?

post #6 of 9 Old 10-30-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post

How much are you looking to spend?
I found one at a local best buy for $218 open box! Long story but I missed out on it... It seemed to do everything I needed. I was hoping no more then 300 if possible. I'm OK with online shopping and refrebs. Thanks guys!
post #7 of 9 Old 10-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Try accessories4less. They have some pretty good deals.
https://www.accessories4less.com/index.php

post #8 of 9 Old 10-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

I'd concur, there may be slightly more risk of a problem unit, but the prices are very good. I'm looking at them too for Black Friday. Just be aware that a $300 model won't have near the amp section of your HK.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-30-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr616 , Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Harman Kardon Avr 2600 65w 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page