Underpowered AV Receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 10-29-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like the finer things in life and usually choose to wait to get high quality items instead of buying components all at once. I do enjoy a good sale and aesthetics when it comes to home audio equipment

Right now I am worried that I am overloading my A/V Receiver, Marantz SR 6005 rated 7.1 @ 110 watt per channel by running the following:
a pair Magnepan MMG floor speakers;
a Magnepan MMGC center channel;
a pair of rear AudioEngine P4 speakers; and
a amplified 12 inch BIC American subwoofer.
All of this is hooked up to a 65 Mitsubishi DLP TV if that makes a difference.

With the Ohm rating of the Magnepan speakers hooking up to the receiver being above my knowledge level, I am hoping you guys can tell me if I am pushing the limits or am I good to go and finish my set up by adding the final pair of surrounding speakers, which I predict to be between the MMG's and the P4's.

If I am stretching the boundaries how would you guys proceed?

I listen to mostly TV and the occasional movie. Never screamingly loud. Room dimensions are approximately 20 wide x 15 deep x 10 tall.

I am attaching pictures just in case it helps.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-29-2013, 02:37 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Whether you are stressing your amps or not depends on how loud you play the system. In a normal home theater in a normal room at a normal listening level, you will be fine. Having a powered sub relieves the amps of most of their work.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-29-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Never too loud at all. The db readout on the Marantz receiver never goes above +10 db, which I believe is somewhat relative because of the Audessy EQ setup that changes the volume level of individual speakers.

If the volume is playing loudly it is only for a movie of 2 hours. Yeah the sub is self amplified.
post #4 of 17 Old 10-29-2013, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Nice system, I like the mmg's a lot.  The best way to figure out if you are stressing your AVR's amp section out is to simply feel it, after watching a movie at your normal level feel it, if its "hot" then you may be taxing it past its limits, if its a little better than room ambiant then I would say you are fine...  I have a large room and even running my ascend speakers which are efficient and 8ohm my $1800 yamaha receiver used to get warmer than I liked, so I switched to a separate amplifier.  The issue with my system was high levels, long periods of time, and a wife that always keeps the house approaching 80 degrees...   

Try it out, if it feels hot then worry about it, if its not hot then you are good to go...

post #5 of 17 Old 10-29-2013, 03:17 PM

Liked: 14
FWIW I have NEVER turned my Marantz SR5005 volume past 0. Usually I max it out at -10. Makes me wonder if you may be over driving the amps in there with those maggies to get the volume you're looking for. I'd keep an eye out for an external amp with the juice to power those speakers correctly for fear of damaging a nice receiver like that.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-29-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcloud View Post

Nice system, I like the mmg's a lot.  The best way to figure out if you are stressing your AVR's amp section out is to simply feel it, after watching a movie at your normal level feel it, if its "hot" then you may be taxing it past its limits, if its a little better than room ambiant then I would say you are fine...  I have a large room and even running my ascend speakers which are efficient and 8ohm my $1800 yamaha receiver used to get warmer than I liked, so I switched to a separate amplifier.  The issue with my system was high levels, long periods of time, and a wife that always keeps the house approaching 80 degrees...   

Try it out, if it feels hot then worry about it, if its not hot then you are good to go...

Also, my Marantz runs fairly warm in normal use. Not nearly as hot as the frying pans of my HK and friend's Onkyo but warm nonetheless. Most of the heat seems to come from the video processors, which can be misleading.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-29-2013, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm86wvu View Post

Also, my Marantz runs fairly warm in normal use. Not nearly as hot as the frying pans of my HK and friend's Onkyo but warm nonetheless. Most of the heat seems to come from the video processors, which can be misleading.

Wow, I never noticed that, my yammy would only get hot when we pushed it for an entire movie or two, if we watched tv all day at normal volumes it stayed maybe 8 degrees over ambiant...

post #8 of 17 Old 10-29-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 722
This is an excellent thread as to what's a sufficient amplifier http://www.avsforum.com/t/1485846/quality-power

I think you're fine with your current avr for the volume level you describe, but not sure of the readings for volume you mention for your avr. Most of us use the relative scale (like jm86wvu does) rather than the absolute. If you're using a relative scale +10 is 10dB over reference volume which is very loud; on the other hand if you're using absolute scale 10 is very low. What are the individual speaker trim levels set to for each channel?

You might also consider you're not giving your receiver a lot of ventilation....does that even meet the recommended clearances in your manual?

Why are your L/R speakers so close together? WAF? I'd at least tilt that center speaker up towards your ears a bit more.

post #9 of 17 Old 10-29-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:

I have a Marantz SR5007 running my living room setup and it also runs fairly warm. I have a friend who used to work at a local audio retailer and he told me that its common for the Marantz to run pretty warm, not hot, but warm. Its a good idea to give them some room to breath.

From what I understand the Magnepans aren't the easiest speakers to drive and can make an amp work a little bit. I don't know that for sure but I seem to remember reading that. Regardless, just for peace of mind, I would look for a nice 3 ch pwr amp and let it power my front speakers and allow the Marantz to deal with the 4 surrounds. 

post #10 of 17 Old 10-30-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAA4200 View Post

I like the finer things in life and usually choose to wait to get high quality items instead of buying components all at once. I do enjoy a good sale and aesthetics when it comes to home audio equipment

Right now I am worried that I am overloading my A/V Receiver, Marantz SR 6005 rated 7.1 @ 110 watt per channel by running the following:
a pair Magnepan MMG floor speakers;
a Magnepan MMGC center channel;
a pair of rear AudioEngine P4 speakers; and
a amplified 12 inch BIC American subwoofer.
All of this is hooked up to a 65 Mitsubishi DLP TV if that makes a difference.

With the Ohm rating of the Magnepan speakers hooking up to the receiver being above my knowledge level, I am hoping you guys can tell me if I am pushing the limits or am I good to go and finish my set up by adding the final pair of surrounding speakers, which I predict to be between the MMG's and the P4's.

If I am stretching the boundaries how would you guys proceed?

I listen to mostly TV and the occasional movie. Never screamingly loud. Room dimensions are approximately 20 wide x 15 deep x 10 tall.

I am attaching pictures just in case it helps.

Thanks.

If you're worried, you can add external amp. I'm quite sure marantz has pre out channel

Bedroom theater
Dynaudio DM 2/6 - Dynaudio DM Center - Def tech pro monitor 600 - Def Tech Prosub 600 - Marantz NR1402 - Bantam Gold Power Amp - Clark Synthesis tst 239 - Dune H1 - PS3
post #11 of 17 Old 10-30-2013, 03:12 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAA4200 View Post

Never too loud at all. The db readout on the Marantz receiver never goes above +10 db, which I believe is somewhat relative because of the Audessy EQ setup that changes the volume level of individual speakers.

If the volume is playing loudly it is only for a movie of 2 hours. Yeah the sub is self amplified.

There are two volume scales available ... the default is the "absolute" scale of [0-98] in which "reference" is 80 and the "relative" scale [-79db to +18db] in which 0db is "reference". To ensure there is sufficient headroom, you generally do not want to go above 80/0db.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #12 of 17 Old 10-30-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Yes both room arrangement and WAF is why the speakers are tucked in so closely together.

No it is not the recommended ventilation. I've got to look into putting in a fan to increase breathability. Any good threads out there people have used?
post #13 of 17 Old 10-30-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

I was actually thinking about getting a pre amp regardless. Then I could have it pair up with the magnepans throughout their life. Any components you are personally a fan of?
post #14 of 17 Old 10-30-2013, 08:07 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:

I'd keep an eye out for an external amp with the juice to power those speakers correctly for fear of damaging a nice receiver like that.

There is something incorrect about how the AVR drives the speakers?
post #15 of 17 Old 10-30-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

There is something incorrect about how the AVR drives the speakers?

If you aren't hearing distortion, I wouldn't sweat it. My Maggies (1.6QRs, now gone) were as happy with either of my two receivers as with my Bryston. Lots of folks say Maggies need big power but I suspect they are driving them to compression and enjoying the added sparkle/excitement of the compressed sound. The 1.6s are not really a hard load (a four ohm resistor, modified into higher impedances around the crossover). Yours should be at least as easy. If you aren't overheating the amps or getting audible distortion, you are unlikely to have an actual audible impacdt by changing amps.
post #16 of 17 Old 10-30-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

If you aren't hearing distortion, I wouldn't sweat it. My Maggies (1.6QRs, now gone) were as happy with either of my two receivers as with my Bryston. Lots of folks say Maggies need big power but I suspect they are driving them to compression and enjoying the added sparkle/excitement of the compressed sound. The 1.6s are not really a hard load (a four ohm resistor, modified into higher impedances around the crossover). Yours should be at least as easy. If you aren't overheating the amps or getting audible distortion, you are unlikely to have an actual audible impacdt by changing amps.

This is probably true but the best part about buying used amps is you can almost always get what you payed for them should you decide to sell. As long as you got a good price to being with, of course. A lot of people will say you will notice a difference and a lot of people won't but the only way you'll know is to try.
post #17 of 17 Old 10-30-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

This is probably true but the best part about buying used amps is you can almost always get what you payed for them should you decide to sell. As long as you got a good price to being with, of course. A lot of people will say you will notice a difference and a lot of people won't but the only way you'll know is to try.

to actually know you have to try in a double blind setting and switch amps within the (I forget 2? 3?) second period that our hearing memory is actually accurate.

Otherwise, assuming the testing is dnen by human beings, their very humanness will interfere with the results. Absent the appropriate controls, we don't have reliable results. Otherwise, we could identify thousands of drug studies that contain clear indications that sugar pills cure pain, cancer, depression and probably schizophrenia. but they don't. the patients may have gotten better but the sugar itself isn't why. similarly when I conduct my far too slow fully sighted comparisons, I may perceive a difference, but I am very far from actually demonstrating that the change in amps or whatever caused the difference I perceive.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr6005 Audio Video Receiver Black , Magnepan Mmg , Audioengine P4 Premium Passive Bookshelf Speaker Pair Black , Marantz Sr5005 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page