Speakers Testing at 4ohms and burning out receiver - Klipsch Speakers and Marantz SR7008 Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-30-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I am looking for info to see if anyone has came across this problem. I bought a new set of Klipsch Quintet speakers .. most current version. I hooked them up and about a month later my receiver (Yamaha RX-V773) burned out. I replaced it with a new Yamaha RX-A2030 and that burned out a week later. I took it back because it was within the return policy and exchanged it for a Marantz SR7008. When I hooked up the Marantz it worked great the first night and then when I tried to turn it on the next night it went to protect and never came out. I tried disconnecting all wiring from the receiver and performing the factory reset. The receiver would not come out of protect mode after that as it was burned out as well. I exchanged that so now I have a new SR7008 that I have not opened yet till I get to the root of the problem. Someone recommended that I test the speakers. The system has 3 zones ... a 5.1 system is main zone and 2 stereo pairs as zone 2 and 3 (one set in bathroom and 1 set above bar) I test the speakers at the bar and they come back between 7.5 and 7.8 ohms and same for the ones in the bathroom. The 5 surround speakers all test out at 3.7 to 4.1 ohms. From what I see on the specs these speakers should be 8 ohms as well. Is it possible that I got a set of 4 ohm speakers by mistake and if so then this would defiantly be why my receivers are burning out right?

THANKS,

AJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-30-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
First the speakers list the impedance - this is not straight resistance. It is resistance vs frequency. http://www.ko4bb.com/e102/e102-9.php

I suspect you may have a short somewhere in your system. Have you looked at which speakers were selected when you had your issues.
ajschulz84 likes this.

Reggie
Family Room:
70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8801/GoldenEar: Triton Twos, SuperCenter XLcenter channel, and SuperSat 60 surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
post #3 of 7 Old 10-30-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
No .. I am not sure because I tested all the speakers ... How would I test for a short in the system? The way I was told to test was using an ohmmeter. That's were I got the readings that are listed above.

THANKS,

AJ
post #4 of 7 Old 10-30-2013, 05:28 PM

Liked: 17
I doubt the Klipsch Quintets are frying all these receivers. If it’s a 3 zone system than it should be able to handle all of these speakers. You must have some kind of fault somewhere in your setup. How does it sound before it die's? Is it normal or is it distorted or odd sounding?
To test your setup,you can disconnect all your speakers and any switching/connection boxes that might be connected. Then connect just Klipsch and play them or awhile to see if the trip the protection in the Marantz. Tripping the protection should not fry the receiver. That's why the have protection circuits. Slowly turning up the volume may speed the process if there is a problem. If they are ok disconcert them and do the same with all the rest of your speakers one set at a time so you are testing each set separately.
If your going to use a ohm meter to test the speakers test the by disconcerting the speaker wire from the Marantz and connect the ohm meter leads to the wire so you are testing the wire and the speakers together. If you find a bad one then test that wire and speaker separately.
Also look carefully at all your speaker wire connection. Even 1 strand of wire crossing to the opposite side can cause a fault. If this just started happening when you added the new Klipsch then it was probable something that was moved or disconnected and reconnected at that point. Check every connection if the speakers seem to be working ok.
If you find no fault then I would connect the mains (5.1's) and one other set and run that for awhile. If that's fine then add the third set.
As far as the ohm reading of the individual speakers, you would have to see 0 ohms (a solid short) or very close to it, for it to be the problem.
ajschulz84 likes this.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin
post #5 of 7 Old 10-30-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Where is the receiver located? Does it have lots of ventilation space or is it jammed in a cabinet with little air circulation, in a stack of equipment, or otherwise prevented from breathing?

Also, did you check the resistance at the wires that connect to the receiver, or directly at the terminals of the speakers? If the latter, you need to include the wires in your measurements.
ajschulz84 likes this.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-30-2013, 07:58 PM

Liked: 20
I've seen some really strange things going on with some systems. I have seen this kind of repeated failure but it involved a matching pad. Now those speakers may have matching pads internally. The pads are meant to allow matching of many different impedance speakers and resistance values. Normally, a change from 8 ohms to 4 ohms should not cause a failure. There is one other fault that can result from inadvertent mixing of ground between devices and not a fault of the speakers.
ajschulz84 likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-30-2013, 08:53 PM
Okv

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Definitely look for a short somewhere on any of the speaker cables, and do not connect your new receiver until you have found the problem.

I have a similar Marantz I use for demo and testing on speakers I design, and have burned output stages 3 times on it.
The failures were caused by shorts in the prototype crossover inside the speakers- vibrations and sound in the cabinet caused wires to move enough to short out, and then the output stage instantly burns.
I first suspected the receiver could not handle the load and output level, but that is clearly not the case, because it can run all the way up to clipping just fine, even though the speakers are 4 ohm.
After fixing the problem, it works just fine.
Kind of annoying having to rebuild output stages once every other week..

The receivers can have really good output stages and sound very good, but they are very fragile compared to more conservatively dimensioned output stages, it is not uncommon for power amplifiers to be able to sustain a short on the output at full level, but these receivers will not survive any abnormal abuse, so just have to be more careful.
ajschulz84 likes this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Klipsch Quintet Satellite Bookshelf Speaker Single Black Hg , Yamaha Rx V773wa Receiver , Marantz Sr7008
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page