Which receiver should I buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-30-2013, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am torn between Yamaha RX-V775WA and the Denon AVR-X3000. I could also throw in the Denon AVR-X4000, but don't see a whole lot of benefit to spending a couple hundred dollars more. 

What would people in here suggest?

Thanks,
DB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-31-2013, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 468
IMO, you should go with the X3000 for its Audyssey room correction software. But, really, you should go with the one that best suits your requirements.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-31-2013, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Eljay,

Appreciate the response! However, being a newbie, I am also not sure if I am missing any critical requirements.

My requirements would be for me to listen to theater quality sound at home. I have a room that is about 20'x15' and I "want" 7.2 channel receiver, with zone 2, simply because I want some music to be heard in my office room where I might be working. I do need wi-fi because I will be streaming from my Network Attached Storage (NAS) and that is DLNA certified, so i do need a receiver that can play music from the NAS. Outside of that, I think I need at least 5 HDMI input and 1 output (but 2 would be nice, if I ever have to plug my laptop in there). Connectivity is important, but I believe having Wi-Fi should be good. 

Let me know if I missed anything important (of course, I haven't mentioned the fact that the sounds needs to be good, video needs to be 1080p at least, so on so forth).

Thanks,
Dhaval

post #4 of 11 Old 10-31-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 468
I'm not trying to be difficult here, but I can't tell you if you're missing any requirements because the requirements are yours to determine.

Example: I see value in having multi-channel pre-outputs, in case I want to add external amplification at some point. The Yamaha has them; the Denon doesn't. If pre-outputs matter to you, you're either down to just the Yamaha, or now the AVR-X4000 becomes an option. But whether or not pre-outputs are a requirement for you is entirely up to you to decide. (And given that you've already considered the AVR-X4000 and decided against it, I get the impression that pre-outputs are not a requirement.)

Basically, if RX-V775 and the AVR-X3000 have the stuff you know you want/need (Wi-Fi, DLNA certified, # of inputs, etc.), you're really down to a coin-toss over which one to pick. And, as I indicated in my previous post, at that point my recommendation would be to go for the Denon because it has Audyssey room EQ software which, IMO, is better than Yamaha's proprietary YPAO room EQ software.
Quote:
... (of course, I haven't mentioned the fact that the sounds needs to be good, video needs to be 1080p at least, so on so forth) ...
Both AVRs will sound good. As for 1080p video, as long as you have a 1080p display you will get 1080p resolution. (And, of course, your BD player or up-converting DVD player will also output 1080p.)
post #5 of 11 Old 10-31-2013, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Eljay,

Believe me you are not being difficult, quite the contrary, you've been most helpful. I, on the other hand, don't quite know all my requirements - I am a total newbie when it comes to home theaters. I am sure I will be satisfied with the most basic of receivers, but I don't want to be in the boat, where 6 months down the line I realize that I need to dump my existing receiver for an "upgrade" (although, I do realize that technology seems to change quite fast, so some upgrades may be necessary at some point, hopefully, in a couple of years or more)!

That being said, there are constraints too - like the amount of money that I want spend. The size of my media room, etc., so I am trying to balance the requirements with the constraints as well! 

I am only now reading things like pre-outs and pre-ins and whether I should include them in my requirements. 

Thanks,
Dhaval

post #6 of 11 Old 10-31-2013, 12:02 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
What speakers are connected? So far no reason you couldn't use the Denon X2000 either as not quite sure your requirement is for the Zone 2 (HDMI) output.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 11 Old 10-31-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

JD,

With either of the above (and I have now included Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030 to the mix as well), I am considering using Klipsch Synergy x-20 series. The SW will be Klipsch SW350. 

Hopefully, this set up will work for me!

Thanks,

Dhaval

post #8 of 11 Old 10-31-2013, 02:02 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Another very respectable model. Very easy speakers to drive so any of these AVRs would work very well for you. Determine what features you would need for sure and/or will want to grow in to. If you want that second HDMI output for sure, the X3000 would be the lowest in the Denon line.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9 of 11 Old 10-31-2013, 03:53 PM

Can someone recommend a few good receivers that is less than $500 which does the following:

- transmit 3D image and sound from a 3D TV and 3D Blu-Ray player

- has pretty good sound qualities and output for a 20x18 room

- permits upscaling of standard films to 1080p 

- has composite inputs at back that allow an old VCR (what are those?!! :P) to play videos or DVDs (this is not too necessary but good if it comes with this)

- has enough input and output slots for IPOD players and cameras

- compatible with a Samsung TV

- does not need zone 2 but must have good surround sound and cinematic type sound quality

Thanks!

Charlie

post #10 of 11 Old 10-31-2013, 03:58 PM

Liked: 18
Look for a clearance Yamaha rxa receiver.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-31-2013, 04:07 PM

Hi Wes,

any particular reason you suggested a Yamaha RXA Receiver? 

Can you list out the pros and cons?

Charlie

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V775wa 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Audyssey , Klipsch Sw 350 8 Inch 350 Watt Subwoofer Black , Yamaha Rx A3010 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page