Surround Sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-31-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I've been on AVS Forum.
Here we go. I'm starting construction on my new home within 90 days. I'll have a budget of around $8,000 to spend on a system.

I'll need 2 floor speakers, 2 rear speakers (to be wall mounted), 1 sub woofer, maybe center speaker and 1 receiver.
The receiver will need to be at least 5.1 capable and enough inputs for blu ray, etc.

I'm open to all opinions. I've not been up on all the latest information in a very long time. Lots of reading on this site is ahead of me. Then I'll go listen.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-01-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Bump
post #3 of 5 Old 11-01-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
... I'll have a budget of around $8,000 to spend on a system. ...

I'll need 2 floor speakers, 2 rear speakers (to be wall mounted), 1 sub woofer, maybe center speaker and 1 receiver.
The receiver will need to be at least 5.1 capable and enough inputs for blu ray, etc.

I'm open to all opinions.
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4000 ($1,299 at Amazon.com, although I understand that AVS - an authorized Denon retailer - may have a better price)

For a bit more juice for your mains and/or to lighten the load on the AVR: Emotiva UPA-200 (currently on sale for $299, shipped; reg. $349, shipped)

Subwoofer:Rythmik FV15HP ($1,274 - not sure if shipping is included)

Speakers: LOTS of well-rated options available. You might want to create a separate post in the Speakers sub-forum. Meanwhile, I'll suggest gently-used Paradigm Studio 60v4/v5 + CC-690v4/v5 + 20v4/v5 (or Studio 10v5).

smile.gif
post #4 of 5 Old 11-01-2013, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Two things, will the system be used for a combination of movies and music? TV watching as well? Speaker selection might vary depending on how much music use you'll be doing, depending on your tastes. I'd demo several different brands, and include the Kef Q series in that list. And for movies, a center channel really adds to the experience.

The other thing is, does your budget include buying a display, or do you already have one? I would suggest that your display and your speakers should take the lion's share of the budget. I concur on the Denon avr, though depending on money left, for a sub you could save some and get a HSU Research VTF-15H for about 1000 shipped.

Happy hunting.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-05-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas. Audio4Life Sound system will be used for all of the above. The budget is just for the sound system. I have additional funds dedicated for the display.smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Emotiva Upa 200 2 Channel Amplifier , Fv15hp Subwoofer , Paradigm Studio Cc 690 Center Channel Speaker , Paradigm Studio 60 , Paradigm Reference Studio 20 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - X4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page