Need advice on "exceptional" receiver approx. $1,000 + or - - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 68 Old 11-04-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 545

^ I think Sean has made excellent points. I second everything he said. Now I feel a need to upgrade from my Denon 3313 to the X-4000. But sadly I need to wait for more funds.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 11-29-2013, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys sorry for the delay. I found a local A/V store willing to sell the Denon X4000 to me for $900 new so a good price.

I was discussing with my brother in law who very recently was doing the exact same research I was, had settled on this exact same model coincidentally, yet on his way to check out saw a sale on a Denon 4311CI for $1100.

He was saying the only thing it does "not" do that the X4000 does is 4K support which of course is moot for quite a long time from now.

I understand it's 9 vs 7 (supports 11.2 vs 9.2) and more horsepower.

I was wondering what you all thought about it. Should I pursue a deal on the older model I just mentioned or stick with the newer and less expensive one? My concern would still be overall audio and video pass through quality including 3D support.

I'm ready to purchase a receiver now so just need to finalize which one I'm getting.

I already got a quote for the A/V folks to run wire for the 9.1 set up and I already purchased all the speaker wire (both CL2 rated AWG12 for the in wall wire and AWG12 for front and sub)
post #63 of 68 Old 11-29-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

If you can get the X4000 for $900 I would take that. If they were the same price, I might take the 4311.

As you said, the 4311 has no 4k support (no big deal) and 9 channel capability. It also has 140 wpc, not enough to make a big difference over the X4000 which has 125 wpc. Finally they both have the Audyssey XT32. Regarding the video and audio pass through I believe the X4000 is on par with the 4311 (but I'm not 100% sure). However, if there is a difference I'm not sure you would notice it unless you were doing a side by side comparison.

Personally, I would save the $200 and go with the X4000.

post #64 of 68 Old 12-28-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

So I did get the Denon X4000. My present set up is as described below.

I have this package in use for my surrounds: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00...lectronics

(Take 5 Energ-y Classic)

Not to worry I have a pretty good 9.2 setup not counting satellites.

My front 2 towers are Klipsch KLF 20s, side 2 towers are Klipsch Synergy F3 and recently purchased center Klipsch RC-62 II and two Polk PW10 subs coupled. With the Denon X4000 receiver.

I picked up the Take 5 set several years ago through slickdeals to use for surrounds but now I've dropped substantial money on my setup so I am wondering what you all think I should get (hopefully on sale) for my 4 surrounds (2 front height and 2 rear height). At this point makes sense to get Klipsch right?

The Energ-y surrounds are "ok", but deficient in comparison to the rest of my setup. I have zero experience with which to compare surrounds so not sure on bang for buck on them.

I thought the RS-62 II Klipsch surrounds go with my center but they are $600 each and seem very large.

Should I just not worry about better surrounds or will it dramatically improve overall audio quality?
post #65 of 68 Old 12-28-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not as important for your surrounds to match the rest of your speakers because of the content that have to handle. While you really want the front three channels to be timbre matched the surrounds don't have to be, but it's nice if they are. 

I would just use what you have for now if funds are tight after buying everything and when you can save up buy the surrounds you really want. 

post #66 of 68 Old 12-28-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

On the Klipsch website these are their various surround options:
http://www.klipsch.com/surround-speakers

My options in the Klipsch line seem to be:

1)

Icon series KS-14 Surround Speaker (pair) $279.98 at Best Buy doing random Google search

Specs:
Frequency Response: 83Hz-23KHz ± 3dB
LOW FREQUENCY EXTENSION: 78Hz
SENSITIVITY: 89dB @ 2.83V / 1m
POWER HANDLING: 50W RMS / 200W Peak
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms compatible
Low Frequency Driver: 4" (10.2cm), IMG woofer
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: 2200Hz
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: MDF (medium density fiberboard)
ENCLOSURE TYPE: Sealed (WDST)
INPUTS: Single binding posts
HEIGHT: 6.66" (16.9cm)
WIDTH: 15" (38.1cm)
DEPTH: 6.5" (16.5cm)
WEIGHT: 8lbs (3.6kg)
MOUNTING: Keyhole Bracket
FINISH: Black Ash vinyl
Built From: 2011

2)

Synergy series S-20 Surround Speakers (pair) approx. $386 on Amazon random Google search

Specs:

Frequency Response: 83Hz-23KHz ± 3dB
SENSITIVITY: 91dB @ 2.83V / 1m
POWER HANDLING: 100W RMS / 400W Peak
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 Ohms compatible
Low Frequency Driver: 5.25" (13.3cm), IMG woofer
HEIGHT: 6.85" (17.4cm)
WIDTH: 14.3" (36.3cm)
DEPTH: 5.5" (13.9cm)
WEIGHT: 7lbs (3.2kg)
Built From: 2010

3)

Less powerful Synergy S-10 Surround Speakers (pair) approx. $195 via Amazon

Specs:

Frequency Response: 95Hz-23KHz ± 3dB
SENSITIVITY: 89dB @ 2.83V / 1m
POWER HANDLING: 50W RMS / 200W Peak
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 Ohms compatible
Low Frequency Driver: 4" (10.2cm), IMG woofer
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: 2800Hz
HEIGHT: 5.6" (14.2cm)
WIDTH: 11.8" (30cm)
DEPTH: 4.6" (11.7cm)
WEIGHT: 5lbs (2.3kg)
Built From: 2010

4)

I won't post the entire line of Reference series at this point as this would start getting really long, but here's a link: http://www.klipsch.com/reference-surround-speakers

The most powerful and expensive version RS-62 II is $600 per individual speaker and the least powerful and least expensive in the series is $174 each (so the cheapest Reference line is slightly cheaper per pair than the S-20s above)

**obviously the THX series and Palladium are way outside reasonable price range (at least for me at the moment)

That's assuming I need to replace the Energ-y surrounds and should stick with Klipsch. Whenever someone has a suggestion let me know I'm trying to complete my home theater project, already off to a great start. Thank you to everyone who has contributed the great information thus far!
post #67 of 68 Old 12-28-2013, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post

It's not as important for your surrounds to match the rest of your speakers because of the content that have to handle. While you really want the front three channels to be timbre matched the surrounds don't have to be, but it's nice if they are. 

I would just use what you have for now if funds are tight after buying everything and when you can save up buy the surrounds you really want. 

Which I very well may do, but I need some direction on my best choice going forward. Again this will be for front heights and rear heights - (I guess just call them the rears they just happen to be up high)
post #68 of 68 Old 12-28-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhyrock View Post

Which I very well may do, but I need some direction on my best choice going forward. Again this will be for front heights and rear heights - (I guess just call them the rears they just happen to be up high)

I think with surrounds it really depends on budget (actually I guess it all depends on budget) but surounds play limited content so you have to ask yourself are you going to notice the difference in sound quality between $250 a pair and $1200 a pair when it comes to auxiliary sound effects and what not? Some would say yes, others would say no. I think I would go for the Synergy S-20 but that's most likely because their in price range I spent on my surrounds. 

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Nad , Sony Str Da2800es Es 7 2 Channel 4k Av Receiver With Automation
Gear in this thread - Da2800es by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page