Suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-01-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
fefeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some suggestions to replace my pioneer vsx 919ah right now I'm torn between pioneer vsx 1023 and 1123 or yamaha v673 and 773. I have Energy take classic 5.0 and Velodyne vx-10. I know the avr maybe a little over kill but I'm planning on upgrading speakers so I only want to buy the avr once. My room is 20x12. I think I'm more partial to features than I am to overall power but I do want something that can push larger speakers.

I'm not opposed to other brands also.
fefeed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 11-01-2013, 04:35 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,383
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
You may also want to consider the Denon X2000 with Audyssey MultEQ XT.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #3 of 8 Old 11-04-2013, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
fefeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bump
fefeed is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 11-04-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,381
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by fefeed View Post

I need some suggestions to replace my pioneer vsx 919ah right now I'm torn between pioneer vsx 1023 and 1123 or yamaha v673 and 773. I have Energy take classic 5.0 and Velodyne vx-10. I know the avr maybe a little over kill but I'm planning on upgrading speakers so I only want to buy the avr once. My room is 20x12. I think I'm more partial to features than I am to overall power but I do want something that can push larger speakers.

I'm not opposed to other brands also.

Your basic goal of a long-lasting AVR choice may be flawed. AVR technology seems to be moving faster than speaker technology, for example.

Pioneer and Yamaha brands are looked on less favorably by many because they use proprietary automated system optimization systems, as opposed to Audyssey.

Looking at the pricing of AVR's, it appears to that the level of Audyssey is justifying significant price jumps.Yet this is just software with a replication cost of next to nothing. The pricing is heavily based on what it is perceived that the market will bear, and is thus more likely to be flexible in the future.

Upgrading the AVR's power in order to get a system that will play louder is questioinable because the power of virtually every mainstream AVR falls within at +/- 3 dB range (roughly 50 to 200 watts) which isn't that much.

The other big predictable near term technological change in AVRs will be switchmode power supplies and switchmode amplifiers, which are just starting to show up on the market.

I conclude that the next 3-5 years will be an era of rapid change in AVR technology, so investing big in your AVR today is nearly a sure bet on early obsolescence.
arnyk is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 11-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
jontyrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Your basic goal of a long-lasting AVR choice may be flawed. AVR technology seems to be moving faster than speaker technology, for example.

Pioneer and Yamaha brands are looked on less favorably by many because they use proprietary automated system optimization systems, as opposed to Audyssey.

Looking at the pricing of AVR's, it appears to that the level of Audyssey is justifying significant price jumps.Yet this is just software with a replication cost of next to nothing. The pricing is heavily based on what it is perceived that the market will bear, and is thus more likely to be flexible in the future.

Upgrading the AVR's power in order to get a system that will play louder is questioinable because the power of virtually every mainstream AVR falls within at +/- 3 dB range (roughly 50 to 200 watts) which isn't that much.

The other big predictable near term technological change in AVRs will be switchmode power supplies and switchmode amplifiers, which are just starting to show up on the market.

I conclude that the next 3-5 years will be an era of rapid change in AVR technology, so investing big in your AVR today is nearly a sure bet on early obsolescence.

I totally, (but respectfully), disagree. Personally, I have little interest in the features - I don't want it to stream, I don't want to play my phone through it wirelessly, and I 100% don't want it to auto set the levels, eq curves and x-over points of my speakers. I do want it to decode the latest greatest audio, and i'm semi-interested in having it handle video upconversion, although just about any decent new TV will do just as good a job of that. What I'm really interested in is the amp section - does it have enough power to run many channels without clipping, and offer me full manual control over the eq curves and levels of all the channels. A receiver that does that will absolutely not be obsolete in 3-5yrs time - I just want it to take the audio from a good source and amplify it, and offer the convenience of video switching. If it sounds good now, I guarantee it'll still sound good in 5, 10, 15yrs time - assuming good reliability and longevity.
jontyrees is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 11-04-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Yosh70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sask. Canada
Posts: 2,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyrees View Post

I guarantee it'll still sound good in 5, 10, 15yrs time - assuming good reliability and longevity.

Of course it will.....as long as you stay home and never listen to anything else. Or peruse this forum. wink.gif
With features like advanced room correction and wireless connectivity, (maybe you dont care but alot actually do) receivers have made leaps and bounds in progress compared to even 5 years ago.

The amp section doesn't really change but with improvements such as HDMI, BD audio formats and room correction software like XT32 and ARC, (MCAAC and YPAO not even in same league) over these last few years, I can only imagine what will be the next technological breakthrough for the centerpiece of your HT.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yosh70 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 11-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
jontyrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 View Post

Of course it will.....as long as you stay home and never listen to anything else. Or peruse this forum. wink.gif
With features like advanced room correction and wireless connectivity, (maybe you dont care but alot actually do) receivers have made leaps and bounds in progress compared to even 5 years ago.

The amp section doesn't really change but with improvements such as HDMI, BD audio formats and room correction software like XT32 and ARC, (MCAAC and YPAO not even in same league) over these last few years, I can only imagine what will be the next technological breakthrough for the centerpiece of your HT.

Can you honestly say that things sound much better now though than 5, 10, 20 years ago? The surround formats have changed, and the jump from straight stereo to DD or DTS 5.1 was probably the biggest single step - basically setting off the whole Home Theater Receiver category. Hence my contention that as long as a receiver decodes the latest formats, and has a strong amp section, I'm good with it. And actually, I have to say there's not been a whole lot of improvement since DD and DTS 5.1 came out - at least not the quantum leap that those formats offered from stereo. And I know a lot of folks absolutely love the ability to stream from a phone or PC to the receiver, Airplay, etc, but like I said, personally, I don't need it (TV streams, I have a Roku). Depending on what is streaming from a phone, quality is most likely already severely compromised - be it compressed MP3, Internet radio, or whatever. Just my opinion, but good source material, through a good amp, to good speakers is always going to sound better than the latest sound format coming through a weak amp, despite any amount of electronic massaging. Sow's ear, silk purse, etc.

I might be a little hasty to dismiss auto calibration based on my one experience with it so far. All I know is, MCACC neutered my receiver. It might well have been technically more accurate, but if that's the case, give me the inaccurate but big, meaty and dynamic sounds I dialed in myself.

Now a REAL breakthrough, which could obsolete a current receiver, would be to replace that stinking hdmi format with something reliable, that doesn't take seconds to "handshake" on changing video resolution or audio format, with ports that don't unaccountably die at a ridiculous rate. Of course, that would obsolete a whole lot of other equipment too - which is probably why we'll see it before too long. Manufacturers always want us to refresh our gear!

Just a counterpoint.
jontyrees is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 11-05-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
fefeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks guys
fefeed is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 919ah K 120 Watts A V Receiver With Full Color Gui Osd Advanced Mcacc And Analog To Hdmi , Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 1023 K , Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 1123 K , Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver , Yamaha Rx V773wa Receiver , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Energy Take Classic 5 Pack 5 0 Home Theater Speaker Black , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off