Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3053 Old 11-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Hooking the 510 via wire to my router is the problem as my system is in a different part of the house than the router with no easy way to run a cable between the two. frown.gif

You can use a wireless bridge to make a wired network by your home entertainment center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3053 Old 11-30-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by xatic View Post

I have a Squeezebox Touch connected to my 510 via digital coaxial and unfortunately the first second of each track is chopped off.
The same thing happen with GUI sound enabled in XBMC connected via HDMI. A "single" GUI sound is not heard and a second after, the display changes briefly from No Signal to 2.0 PCM.

An upgrade to firmware 1.1.1 has not helped.

This could be a deal breaker for me. frown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ohdee~ View Post

Could anyone shed some light on how the D2 would compare to the 510/710. I have an opportunity to trade my five year old D2 in and get a credit towards a new receiver. Are they comparable or is one better than the other?

I currently have an AVM20. Any AQ comparisons between the older AVMs and the new receivers interest me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I've attached a document from Anthem on setting up Direct Connect ethernet for Windows 7 and Windows XP.

Note that in addition to selecting Direct Connect in the MRX (instead of Wired LAN), you also need to set the MRX to use a Manual IP address of 192.168.1.3.

And you need to make sure the MRX has IP Control ENABLED. This should be the default setting, but check it anyway.

Meanwhile in your computer, you need to temporarily set it to use a manual IP address of 192.168.1.2, and to use a Gateway setting of 192.168.1.1

You can use the PING command via the Terminal Command Prompt utility to check that the computer can find the MRX -- i.e, that it can now PING 192.168.1.3

DirectConnectSetup.pdf 651k .pdf file

Technical Note: ARC2 uses a special broadcast protocol on the network connection (UDP) to find the MRX. This can work even if the MRX is not properly set up to use Direct Connect. This likely explains why ARC2 could "find" the MRX, but still not control it to begin the Measurements.
--Bob

Thanks for the info. It sounds like setting up a direct connection is a bit of a pain, particularly for someone like me who isn't computer savvy.

Is the a limit to how long the cable can be from the receiver to the router (and from the router to the laptop)? I ask because when updating my AVM 20 I was able to run a temporary long cable, about 50ft, from the computer upstairs to the AVM 20 downstairs in the living room. When I was done updating, I just removed the cable and put it away. Could I do something like this to avoid having to go through the "direct connect" procedure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGuySK View Post

Hey guys. I just setup my 510 tonight. Everything works really well and I am really impressed with the unit so far... before ARC.. dun dun dun dun!

I am not sure what I am doing wrong but when I ran ARC the whole system just sounds restricted, like it is holding back. The bass is almost gone, but the dialog and other sounds are crystal clear.

Attached Windows7printeddocument.pdf 4048k .pdf file

Could you guys take a look and see if there is any malfunctions on my graphs? I have the following gear:

Anthem MRX 510
Anthem PVA 7
Paradigm Studio 100v3 fronts
Paradigm Studio cc490 center
Paradigm Studio adp side surrounds
Monitor Audio Gold 100 - back rears (for 7.1)
Paradigm Servo 15 v2 sub

When I first ran ARC it told me after it measured listening position 1 that the sub level was too high and to reduce it by 8db. I turned down the sub by what I think was 8db (who knows, I only turned it from 3 o clock to 12 o clock on the dial) and it sounded really really good while ARC was running the test noises to get the measurements so I am a bit stumped on this. I had no issues with my AVM 30 that it replaced, the sound was just like the 510 before I ran ARC. I checked the menu and it has it at -2db for the level..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGuySK View Post

Ahh yes.. So here is the new graphs. I am not sure how much better I am going to get it.

Windows7printeddocument-1.pdf 4049k .pdf file

What I did was start from scratch pretty much. i looked over everything again and went from there. I turned my sub to the left, and that seemed to make a difference while I quick tested. Then I turned knob #2 all the way to the right for the max bump. Then I looked at my mic and stand again and made sure it was correct height for the listening position and found it was off by a bit ( to high) and I mapped out the 5 measurement places better to make sure they were pretty close for equidistant (sp?) for the best measurement possible.

Now it sounds great. I did bump the sub level up to 3 instead of 1 in the bass mgmt menu, even though the ARC nanny didn't set it there, I like it a bit more there smile.gif

Other than that, it doesn't sound anemic anymore. It was really confusing why the clarity and effects were really good, but no bass. So everything put together, I am one happy camper. I guess I had overbloated bass here for 9 years biggrin.gif and that is going to take a bit of getting used to with the new sound, but it really does sound incredible. Much better than my AVM 30 did, and I think that is still a great piece of gear.

Thanks for the report on how the MRX 510 compares in SQ to the AVM 30. I have an AVM 20 and wonder if going to the MRX 510 would be a step down in SQ (or any other way for that matter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

You can use a wireless bridge to make a wired network by your home entertainment center.

Wireless bridge? Sorry, I'm not computer savvy and don't know what that is. Is that like adding another router where the AV equipment is located? I have read that using multiple routers can cause interference problems, so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Like I mentioned above, I could temporarily run a long cable, about 50ft, from the receiver to the router, then another long cable from the router to the laptop and just remove the cabling when I'm done. Would that work? I know some types of cables have length restrictions, but I don't know if that applies in this case.

post #273 of 3053 Old 12-01-2013, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The limit is 90M (270 ish feet) so you'll be fine smile.gif
post #274 of 3053 Old 12-01-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelup View Post

The limit is 90M (270 ish feet) so you'll be fine smile.gif

Thanks. smile.gif

post #275 of 3053 Old 12-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wireless bridge? Sorry, I'm not computer savvy and don't know what that is. Is that like adding another router where the AV equipment is located? I have read that using multiple routers can cause interference problems, so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Like I mentioned above, I could temporarily run a long cable, about 50ft, from the receiver to the router, then another long cable from the router to the laptop and just remove the cabling when I'm done. Would that work? I know some types of cables have length restrictions, but I don't know if that applies in this case.

Yeah, you can remove the cabling when you are done. That should work. I have many network devices in my home entertainment center I find it useful to have wired access there. Some things like Apple TV does not have wireless. I prefer to use the wired connection for many devices and then use a single bridge to connect to the rest of the network. Otherwise you have typically rely on a weaker antenna in each device, if it even has one. I think this problem is easily solvable outside of the device, so I can see why many higher-end devices are wired only.

It's not really another router. Most of them are called "Wireless access point / Wireless bridge" they have two modes. In bridge mode it will connect to your wireless network and create hard-wired access points for your electronics.

For example, here is one.
http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Wireless-SmartBeam-Technology-DAP-1525/dp/B0053XG25G/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_6

In wireless access point mode it will provide an additional point of wireless access on your network. If your main router is not wireless they can be handy, or if a single access point is not sufficient to cover your house you can do things like have one upstairs and one downstairs.
post #276 of 3053 Old 12-01-2013, 12:33 PM

You might be better off looking at Homeplugs / Powerline adapters - just plug one in at each end and and you're done. Generally a lot more reliable than wireless and easier to set up.
post #277 of 3053 Old 12-01-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, you can remove the cabling when you are done. That should work. I have many network devices in my home entertainment center I find it useful to have wired access there. Some things like Apple TV does not have wireless. I prefer to use the wired connection for many devices and then use a single bridge to connect to the rest of the network. Otherwise you have typically rely on a weaker antenna in each device, if it even has one. I think this problem is easily solvable outside of the device, so I can see why many higher-end devices are wired only.

It's not really another router. Most of them are called "Wireless access point / Wireless bridge" they have two modes. In bridge mode it will connect to your wireless network and create hard-wired access points for your electronics.

For example, here is one.
http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Wireless-SmartBeam-Technology-DAP-1525/dp/B0053XG25G/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_6

In wireless access point mode it will provide an additional point of wireless access on your network. If your main router is not wireless they can be handy, or if a single access point is not sufficient to cover your house you can do things like have one upstairs and one downstairs.

Thanks for the info. I checked out the link you provided but it appears that device is to be wired to your existing router and provides a more reliable wireless signal to your other wireless devices in the house. I'm not sure how this addresses my question about running ARC. That said, I'm not very computer savvy so I may just not be understanding. redface.gif

As long as I can run a long cable with no problem, that would seem the easiest route for me to take. wink.gif

post #278 of 3053 Old 12-01-2013, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelup View Post

You might be better off looking at Homeplugs / Powerline adapters - just plug one in at each end and and you're done. Generally a lot more reliable than wireless and easier to set up.
Yeah but they put an incredible amount of noise in your AC power witch is bad for high end AV

post #279 of 3053 Old 12-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I checked out the link you provided but it appears that device is to be wired to your existing router and provides a more reliable wireless signal to your other wireless devices in the house. I'm not sure how this addresses my question about running ARC. That said, I'm not very computer savvy so I may just not be understanding. redface.gif

As long as I can run a long cable with no problem, that would seem the easiest route for me to take. wink.gif

No, the when in bridge-mode it functions as I am attempting to describe. You have a wired network somewhere else in your house where your router and maybe your main PC are located. Then at a secondary location you install the wireless bridge. The bridge will connect wirelessly to the network at the primary location. The ports on the base station then allow you to plug in wired devices. A diagram would probably help:
http://i.i.cbsi.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/10/10/DD-WRT_client_bridge_diagram_610x276.jpg

Here is an article that can probably explain better.
http://lifehacker.com/368094/wire-your-living-room-over-wi+fi-with-a-bridge

This is a permanent solution to your problem and any other wired-only devices you may put in your entertainment center in the future.
post #280 of 3053 Old 12-02-2013, 01:53 PM

How do you guys find the SQ compared to the Gen1 MRX's?

Anthem MRX300, Anthem Statement A5, MK Sound MP150Mk2 LCR,MK Sound S150T's,Paradigm Signature Sub1,Pioneer BDP LX55,Isol8 Cleanline2 mains,Sonos ZP90,Qnap TS112 NAS,PanasonicTXP50GT60.
post #281 of 3053 Old 12-02-2013, 04:52 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmagnus View Post

How do you guys find the SQ compared to the Gen1 MRX's?
To me, it seems more open with better stereo separation. The video also seems cleaner on both processed and passthrough. 300 -> 510
richmagnus likes this.

post #282 of 3053 Old 12-02-2013, 05:40 PM

Liked: 11

So far, I haven't noticed too much changes in the audio, but major changes in the video quality.  The changes were significant on  my Pioneer Elite screen. I have the 510, previously owned the 500.

richmagnus likes this.
post #283 of 3053 Old 12-02-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, the when in bridge-mode it functions as I am attempting to describe. You have a wired network somewhere else in your house where your router and maybe your main PC are located. Then at a secondary location you install the wireless bridge. The bridge will connect wirelessly to the network at the primary location. The ports on the base station then allow you to plug in wired devices. A diagram would probably help:
http://i.i.cbsi.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/10/10/DD-WRT_client_bridge_diagram_610x276.jpg

Here is an article that can probably explain better.
http://lifehacker.com/368094/wire-your-living-room-over-wi+fi-with-a-bridge

This is a permanent solution to your problem and any other wired-only devices you may put in your entertainment center in the future.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll keep this in mind should I get to the point where I need a wired connection at my AV location. smile.gif Right now I just have a couple wireless devices in my AV system (Roku 1 and Squeezebox Touch) which do fine without a wired connection.

Btw, at this point an Anthem receiver is just a thought. It'll be some time before I have the funds to seriously consider what my replace my AVM20. The Anthem receivers are attractive to me due to their lower cost (the current AVM is way out of my price range!) and the inclusion of some Anthem features I really like in my AVM20, like two separate speaker configurations and Anthem Logic modes, as well as the addition of ARC (the more I read about ARC the more I think I would prefer it over Audyssey).

post #284 of 3053 Old 12-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification. I'll keep this in mind should I get to the point where I need a wired connection at my AV location. smile.gif Right now I just have a couple wireless devices in my AV system (Roku 1 and Squeezebox Touch) which do fine without a wired connection.

Btw, at this point an Anthem receiver is just a thought. It'll be some time before I have the funds to seriously consider what my replace my AVM20. The Anthem receivers are attractive to me due to their lower cost (the current AVM is way out of my price range!) and the inclusion of some Anthem features I really like in my AVM20, like two separate speaker configurations and Anthem Logic modes, as well as the addition of ARC (the more I read about ARC the more I think I would prefer it over Audyssey).

It's a shame Anthem's pre/pros have risen in price to the point where few can afford them. I guess that's the void the MRX series fills. Their argument is they would sell so many fewer if they didn't include the amps.
post #285 of 3053 Old 12-03-2013, 10:33 AM

Liked: 10
Have extreme problems with ARC on my MRX710, have not heard much difference on and off so I tried to measure what ARC did with the signal, and this is what I come up with.

This is ARC off. Config 1. 2 channel set-up

This is ARC on. Config 1. 2 channel set-up

This is ARC off. Config 2. Home theater set-up

This is ARC on. Config 2. Home theater set-up

This is the uploaded curve for 2 channel

I have no clue what to do, I have rested it by the on-screen menu and by the buttons up front. It uses the newst softwares on both windows and in the receiver.

Has anybody else this problem? confused.gif
post #286 of 3053 Old 12-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

This could be a deal breaker for me. frown.gif
I currently have an AVM20. Any AQ comparisons between the older AVMs and the new receivers interest me.
Thanks for the info. It sounds like setting up a direct connection is a bit of a pain, particularly for someone like me who isn't computer savvy.

Is the a limit to how long the cable can be from the receiver to the router (and from the router to the laptop)? I ask because when updating my AVM 20 I was able to run a temporary long cable, about 50ft, from the computer upstairs to the AVM 20 downstairs in the living room. When I was done updating, I just removed the cable and put it away. Could I do something like this to avoid having to go through the "direct connect" procedure?

Thanks for the report on how the MRX 510 compares in SQ to the AVM 30. I have an AVM 20 and wonder if going to the MRX 510 would be a step down in SQ (or any other way for that matter).

You don't need to run wire from router to your computer if your computer has wireless connection. I connect my MRX by wire to the router and my laptop by wireless connection to the router. Everything works perfect.
post #287 of 3053 Old 12-03-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post

You don't need to run wire from router to your computer if your computer has wireless connection. I connect my MRX by wire to the router and my laptop by wireless connection to the router. Everything works perfect.

Ah, so only 1 wire connection from the MRX to the router. Sweet! smile.gif

Any other MRX owners here that came from an earlier AVM pre/pro?

post #288 of 3053 Old 12-03-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's a shame Anthem's pre/pros have risen in price to the point where few can afford them. I guess that's the void the MRX series fills. Their argument is they would sell so many fewer if they didn't include the amps.

Yes, it is a shame. I paid about $2850 for my AVM20 brand new (that's a lot of dough for me) in March 2003. Now the current AVM is more than double the price. frown.gif

post #289 of 3053 Old 12-03-2013, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedEarth View Post

Have extreme problems with ARC on my MRX710, have not heard much difference on and off so I tried to measure what ARC did with the signal, and this is what I come up with.

This is ARC off. Config 1. 2 channel set-up

This is ARC on. Config 1. 2 channel set-up

This is ARC off. Config 2. Home theater set-up

This is ARC on. Config 2. Home theater set-up

This is the uploaded curve for 2 channel

I have no clue what to do, I have rested it by the on-screen menu and by the buttons up front. It uses the newst softwares on both windows and in the receiver.

Has anybody else this problem? confused.gif
It looks to me like you may have too big of a discrepancy between your 5 measuring position for arc to work properly. Try running arc with the mic at the primary listening position all 5 times and check it back.

post #290 of 3053 Old 12-04-2013, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil 24 View Post

It looks to me like you may have too big of a discrepancy between your 5 measuring position for arc to work properly. Try running arc with the mic at the primary listening position all 5 times and check it back.

According to the ARC program the curves looks good and I do not see why ARC in the receiver would´n fix that. If the ARC program had not been able to fix my measurements it would not looks so stright as it does? Feels like there is a problem with the program or the actual upload to the receiver or the receiver. In the end result it looks like ARC has done nothing at all, i´m running ARC upp to 400hz, It should have tons of filters for it to use on for my 2 channels.

//R
post #291 of 3053 Old 12-04-2013, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

According to the ARC program the curves looks good and I do not see why ARC in the receiver would´n fix that. If the ARC program had not been able to fix my measurements it would not looks so stright as it does? Feels like there is a problem with the program or the actual upload to the receiver or the receiver. In the end result it looks like ARC has done nothing at all, i´m running ARC upp to 400hz, It should have tons of filters for it to use on for my 2 channels.

//R

Could be that the bug i found in post 267 is the culprit here, as you seem to be from Sweden too? Can you open your arc-files in the ARC-2 software? I couldn't without changing in the arc2-file, and I uploaded the edited file to my receiver, and ARC works without doubt in my room!

PM me if you is not comfortable editing xml-files.

/Jesper
post #292 of 3053 Old 12-04-2013, 02:52 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 867
^ Jesper, if you've not already done so, please email your finding on the decimal point problem to Anthem Tech Support.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #293 of 3053 Old 12-04-2013, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedSurfer View Post

Quote:

//R

Could be that the bug i found in post 267 is the culprit here, as you seem to be from Sweden too? Can you open your arc-files in the ARC-2 software? I couldn't without changing in the arc2-file, and I uploaded the edited file to my receiver, and ARC works without doubt in my room!

PM me if you is not comfortable editing xml-files.

/Jesper

I have done exactly as you instructed and it worked, I can open the file again but I dont know if it relates to why ARC works so bad for me. Do have you equpment so that you can do before and after measurements?
post #294 of 3053 Old 12-04-2013, 03:47 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 867
^ Did you re-Calculate and re-Upload AFTER editing the ARC2 results file?

If there's a problem with nationalized decimal point support, the data ARC2 used to do the original Calculation might be wrong.

If that's what's going on, this is really a problem only Anthem can analyze for you.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #295 of 3053 Old 12-04-2013, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
IcedEarth: no, I don't have any such equipment, but I can hear the difference.

Bob: Will do! (and done!)
post #296 of 3053 Old 12-04-2013, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Did you re-Calculate and re-Upload AFTER editing the ARC2 results file?

If there's a problem with nationalized decimal point support, the data ARC2 used to do the original Calculation might be wrong.

If that's what's going on, this is really a problem only Anthem can analyze for you.
--Bob

Yes I did, also set region to north America on the computer, I shall do a new measurement to night. Reupload and see what it sounds and measure, doubt it will work, seems more likely something else is wrong.
Will also test measure 5 points at the same location and see what that gives.

//R
post #297 of 3053 Old 12-04-2013, 06:06 AM

Is it possible to reflash the software in the amplifier? Thinking if that could be a possibility were some is wrong.

//R
post #298 of 3053 Old 12-04-2013, 10:54 AM

Have reflashed the amplifer, reinstalled the software on the computer, run 5 measurements on the same spot.

It dosent matter, I get the same curve on or off, dosent matter if I turn the unit on or off between switching ARC on or off.

Used a second computer. Stil the same result!

ARC Off, Config 1. 2-channel set-up. Right channel.

ARC On, Config 1. 2-channel set-up. Right channel.

What more can I do? I can´t be this difficult to get ARC running!
post #299 of 3053 Old 12-04-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 391
I am thinking of selling my denon AVR4520 and going with the Anthem MRX 710. I am curios if I will see any difference with the Anthem over the denon.

I have read that the Anthem is incredible for home theater sound. Would like to hear what I would gain over the denon 4520 sound wise.

Thank you

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #300 of 3053 Old 12-04-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I am thinking of selling my denon AVR4520 and going with the Anthem MRX 710. I am curios if I will see any difference with the Anthem over the denon.

I have read that the Anthem is incredible for home theater sound. Would like to hear what I would gain over the denon 4520 sound wise.

Thank you

If you are looking for improve sound, yes.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page