Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2971 of 2976 Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post
Second, the best (most accurate) way to give your bass a boost with the Anthem is to run ARC in manual mode and adjust the room gain number. Adjust it up 2-3 dB and then play your reference material again and see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breddy View Post
Try increasing the Room Gain setting a bit, this helped me greatly. I also add somewhere between +2 and +4 on the subwoofer level to bring things up some.
You guys are geniuses! I tried increasing the room gain by 2 dB and it made all the difference - I was floored both by how easy it was to adjust (just hit calculate and re-upload) and the profound effect it had. It was EXACTLY what I was looking for - a lot more of what I call "sound energy" in the lower frequencies. 2 dB was great, though a scene or two still didn't have all the "oomph" I've become accustomed to in the Denon (such as the elevator shaft section doors opening in Tron: Legacy when the elevator is in free-fall). I then tried 3 dB, but that seems like too much. I'm confident I can find a happy middle ground in there with more experimenting.

There is now no question that the Anthem MRX-510 is a superior AVR to my old Denon 3808ci in terms of sound quality. It would appear, however, that the Anthem has more trouble with HDMI handshaking (it frequently "flips out" with alternating snow static and green/magenta screens when going back to the root menu in Tron and selecting a scene to play) but it eventually figures it out in 5 - 10 seconds.

So, a big thank you to you gentlemen for your help. VERY much appreciated.
Breddy likes this.

Denon 3808ci / Rotel RMB-1095 / Oppo BDP-93
Klipsch RF-7 II, RC-64 II, RS-62 II (5.1) / Paradigm Sub 15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 2976 Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
I am a D2 owner - I would suggest the D2v if your distributor
has one or an AV50v as a backup, especially where you have
external AMPs.
Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I've had my eye on a D2v for a while now (and a P5 for that matter to replace my Rotel amp), though at $10,000 CDN it's more than a bit out of my price range. (Even the AVM 50v is pricey for me at ~$7500.) It's also a piece of gear that I'm unable to audition before purchasing.

I truly yearn for the "holographic" sound that the D2v and the Krell Foundation are reported to project. I may have to wait a year or two (or longer) before I can make that leap.

Denon 3808ci / Rotel RMB-1095 / Oppo BDP-93
Klipsch RF-7 II, RC-64 II, RS-62 II (5.1) / Paradigm Sub 15
post #2973 of 2976 Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Glad that worked for you. I was going to say that your uneq'd sub response is very good and that ARC pulled down your peak in th low 20s Hz which might have decreased some tactile sensation. Regardless, your room gain was a bit lower than I've usually seen. Anyway glad you're happy with it now. That's a big appeal of ARC to me - you can do a fair amount of adjustment to taste. Can't do that with Audyssey unless you spend several hundred dollars going to Pro.
mazpri likes this.
post #2974 of 2976 Old Today, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post
...uneq'd sub response is very good and that ARC pulled down your peak in th low 20s Hz which might have decreased some tactile sensation.... That's a big appeal of ARC to me - you can do a fair amount of adjustment to taste...
exactly my thought - some ppl just do the auto config and think this is they way it's meant to be - or they try to get a super perfect linear spl for the whole freq range because the graphs make one think this ist the way it has to be.
IMO there is nothing wrong in a gain or cut off in case its preferred that way, the graphs should not dictate but guide that decision.
whodunnit likes this.
post #2975 of 2976 Old Today, 09:41 AM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post
exactly my thought - some ppl just do the auto config and think this is they way it's meant to be - or they try to get a super perfect linear spl for the whole freq range because the graphs make one think this ist the way it has to be.
IMO there is nothing wrong in a gain or cut off in case its preferred that way, the graphs should not dictate but guide that decision.
Absolutely! Couldn't have said it better myself...so I won't try, much to the relief of each and every one of you out there I'm sure....

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
post #2976 of 2976 Old Today, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
At last I got some time to rerun ARC, after i lost my original calcs after a reinstall of Windows.
It was needed because my 710 did go into the "Mute" mode again :S

The files are attached with the proper name of the configs.
I'm wondering why the ARC has set the crossover at 80 on all speakers this time, the first time it set fronts to 50, center to 70 and surround to 80 and the sub to 120.
Anyone got a good description why it's different(nothing has changed significantly in the room).?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Music target calc.PNG
Views:	18
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	242410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Music sub.png
Views:	10
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	242418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Music front right.PNG
Views:	11