Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #3331 of 3360 Old 12-04-2014, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well I was thinking of a good deal on a 500 but now I'm reading in this thread about how much easier the new arc is with the 10 models.

If I run a 3.0 or possibly 3.1 system (paradigm monitor 11's) how do I know for sure that the 310 will output enough power?

System will be used 90% for movies. The room is open concept 21' x 27', kitchen (13' x 21') and living room (14' x 21') with 9'walls with cathedral ceiling to 12'. I don't ever plan on cranking the volume up to high just want to make sure I'm not under powered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3360 Old 12-05-2014, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by teevman View Post
If I run a 3.0 or possibly 3.1 system (paradigm monitor 11's) how do I know for sure that the 310 will output enough power? ...don't ever plan on cranking the volume up ...
Then the 310 will be good enough. In case higher volumes become problematic have the sub do more of the low end, e.g. set xover point higher in 10hz steps. And if that is still not sufficient an OK 2ch extra amp is still possible for the budget saved.
teevman likes this.
post #3333 of 3360 Old 12-05-2014, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Absolutely the ARC process in the 10 series is sooo much easier than the 00 series. I have a 710, replacing a 500, and there is just no comparison.
Your Paradigms are efficient speakers and the 310 should have no problems driving your rig to ear-damaging levels.
teevman likes this.
post #3334 of 3360 Old 12-05-2014, 10:06 AM

Thanks guys.

I've never had a system that uses ARC or any kind of room correction, in fact this will be my first system sense my Sony stereo I bought almost forty years ago.

Now that the kids have all left home and I'm now retired I've decided to splurge just a little and get a new system. Maybe I will be able to actually hear what's going on in the movies I watch on my tv that, for some reason, has speakers facing the wall.

Just how much of a difference does this new "room correction" analysis work compared to simply setting everything by ear or does it set certain things that you have no way of accessing? Will I notice quite an improvement in sound or is it something that only an audiophile would notice?

Lastly, other than (supposedly) having the best room correction analysis what makes an Anthem avr better than a big box store's avr that I could pick up for half the price? Is it really worth the extra $$$? Thanks again.

Last edited by teevman; 12-05-2014 at 10:15 AM.
post #3335 of 3360 Old 12-05-2014, 12:37 PM

many waters fall

Quote:
... how much of a difference does this new "room correction" analysis work compared to simply setting everything by ear...
for the room and given setup you described my guess is you will break up in tears
either because the sound is so much better or because you ask yourself for what all the dollars spent
post #3336 of 3360 Old 12-05-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post
for the room and given setup you described my guess is you will break up in tears
either because the sound is so much better or because you ask yourself for what all the dollars spent
The latter is what I'm afraid of but the way it stands now I have no where to go but up.

Do stereo shops let you try and return if it just isn't the setup for you so to speak, guess I'll make sure of that before hand.
post #3337 of 3360 Old 12-06-2014, 03:01 PM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
The latter is what I'm afraid of but the way it stands now I have no where to go but up.

Do stereo shops let you try and return if it just isn't the setup for you so to speak, guess I'll make sure of that before hand.
A friend of mine was given an in home demonstration of a 710, (now his 710) with the dealer setting up, running ARC etc. If you are close to several different potential dealers, than you might be able to swing a similar situation. Another individual I know was given a 510 with nothing but a drivers liscence to confirm identity and address. The dealer wasn't concerned he'd bring it back...or apparently concerned that he wouldn't be knocking down his door to pay for the MRX once he'd listened to it! Like you say, check with a few dealers... return policies vary, but it's a competitive market out there.
I'm really interested in your future foray into the digital audio world...Wow. You're in for one hell of a shock. Things have changed a tad in the last 40 years or so.....
As far as ARC's concerned...you have a challenging environment. There is also truth to the fact that your eardrums aren't quite what they used to be. Sorry, sad truth...if it helps...I'm right there with you. Aaah! to be 19 again! (Not just for the hearing thing either )

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
post #3338 of 3360 Old 12-12-2014, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For those who may not have noticed, new ARC-2 and MRX software downloads have been posted on the Anthem website. I notice that one of the fixes is described as follows:

Quote:
With certain 2-channel PCM audio tracks and ARC curves it was possible for sound to be distorted. *** With this ARC version, playback volume is reduced by 3 dB when ARC is on compared to when ARC is off. ***
Nick, does this imply that the actual volume with ARC turned on will now be 3 dB less than what is actually displayed on the receiver/OSD once the new software (both versions) is installed? No biggy, just want to confirm.
post #3339 of 3360 Old 12-12-2014, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
And why would a 3db reduction fix the problem anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3340 of 3360 Old 12-12-2014, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's worth every dime--buy it.

Quote:
Thanks guys.

I've never had a system that uses ARC or any kind of room correction, in fact this will be my first system sense my Sony stereo I bought almost forty years ago.

Now that the kids have all left home and I'm now retired I've decided to splurge just a little and get a new system. Maybe I will be able to actually hear what's going on in the movies I watch on my tv that, for some reason, has speakers facing the wall.

Just how much of a difference does this new "room correction" analysis work compared to simply setting everything by ear or does it set certain things that you have no way of accessing? Will I notice quite an improvement in sound or is it something that only an audiophile would notice?

Lastly, other than (supposedly) having the best room correction analysis what makes an Anthem avr better than a big box store's avr that I could pick up for half the price? Is it really worth the extra $$$? Thanks again.
I have had a decent stereo for many years and a decent home theater for the past ten. My room is well treated and I have used Audessey in the past (which I never really liked for music) in a Denon 4306. Last week, based in good part on David Rich's very comprehensive review of ARC in "Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity" I bought an MRX-510. The setup was very easy and quick. The receiver sounded very good without room correction engaged. But . . . to get quickly to the point: I was awestruck by the improvement that ARC made. It is, unlike Audessey, totally natural sounding. It sounds great no matter how loud or how low you play your music/movies. Movies sound great, music (which I listen to in 2.1) sounds awesome. At this price, I have no idea how Anthem has done it. For the first time, I realize just how good my Sunfire speakers really are. In my room, with this receiver and ARC, my speakers sound as good to me as the $15,000 B&Ws sounded in the dealer's showroom. Thank you Anthem! This receiver has my highest recommendation. If you can't set it up on your own, get the dealer to do it for you. But if you're in the market for a receiver, I wouldn't buy anything else, no matter how expensive, until you've heard an Anthem.
stactum and emergetech like this.
post #3341 of 3360 Old 12-14-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just installed Firmware 1.2.6 to my MRX 510 and having some issues with PLII Music Center Width and Dimension where values show some jibberish characters instead of some understandable. I can cycle through any characters that there exist. Sound changes with each new setting, but not sure what exactly does it do. Seem very much a firmware bug to me introduced by Anthem. Anyone else experience it?

To get there switch to PLII Music and click Mode button.

To cycle through these I can only use "down" button on the remote.

Center Width

Dimension: F-,

Last edited by stactum; 12-14-2014 at 03:29 PM.
post #3342 of 3360 Old 12-14-2014, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 28
They probably broke something when fixing this: "PLII Music adjustments (Center Width etc) weren't being saved at power-off". Toss a mail to support so they can start working on it (if they are not aware yet).

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks
post #3343 of 3360 Old 12-15-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Anyone notice on their unit that AnthemLogic isn't an option when playing 96/24 2.0 FLAC files? I tried changing my Oppo's settings, bitstream, PCM, etc. with no luck.
post #3344 of 3360 Old 12-16-2014, 04:06 AM

New Public Firmware 1.2.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stactum View Post
I just installed Firmware 1.2.6 to my MRX 510 and having some issues ...
Oh well, i just didn't realize there is any new firmware available already, just thought it still would be beta status. Went to the website and really there is a new firmware and ARC software release. The firmware text file is of 5th Dec. and the firmware itself is 7th Nov. The referenced ARC software text file is 12th Dec. while the installer is 7th of Oct.
One would guess it was really tested thorough n through, now given the screenshots it looks like it is a beta still...

Besides the flaw with those onscreen message, any other warnings or bad experience for that new release?
Is it on all versions - aka 120v/240v and 310/510/710 - the same? Anybody?...
post #3345 of 3360 Old 12-16-2014, 07:34 AM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 59
^
At least one of the recent posts from "that other AV Forum" noted that the crackling issue he'd been having with their left main had come back, along with the issues described here regarding Dolby Music width adjustments. From what I can tell, the "problem corrected itself" after a few days. Another poster's Dolby Music seems to have pretty much gone haywire. Personally on the fence regarding the new updates, the Receiver update was posted with a warning not to use it with ARC 1.1.0.7, but to use the beta software, which initially they then failed to post on their website. One poster upgraded the receiver but left 1.1.0.7 in place with no problems. As you note, seems beta is still beta, and the cart may still be before the horse. Frustrating!

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
post #3346 of 3360 Old 12-16-2014, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'm also having issues with crackling/distortion. I cannot reproduce it consistently. This is with HDMI connection and after a master reset of the receiver. I havent rerun ARC yet and did not upload any ARC file to the unit.

Another thing that I noticed is that when I switch inputs, I am having a problem with bass management.

I have an input set up with an analog input and processing set to "no", meaning the speakers run full range, no subwoofer and bass management disengaged. This is for my turntable.

When I switch from this input to another input (HDMI source such as my cable box or apple tv), the HDMI input does not activate the crossovers correctly. I'm still getting full range sound from the my speakers. Nothing is getting directed to the subwoofer. Also, at times I hear dialogue coming from the sub as if the center channel is directed to the sub.

Very odd

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE
Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
post #3347 of 3360 Old 12-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMB View Post
Nick, does this imply that the actual volume with ARC turned on will now be 3 dB less than what is actually displayed on the receiver/OSD
Yes - if you have set main power-on volume and main max volume very specifically in the setup menu, you might want to raise them by 3 dB.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #3348 of 3360 Old 12-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just installed Firmware 1.2.6 to my MRX 510 and having some issues with PLII Music Center Width and Dimension where values show some jibberish characters instead of some understandable.
Please let tech support know whether this remains after reloading factory defaults and re-doing setup. During update, PLII Music user settings may have been lost in the translation.

Don't forget you can use the volume knob to save time while renaming inputs - it scrolls through characters much more quickly than up/down buttons.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #3349 of 3360 Old 12-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonT35 View Post
Very odd
Indeed and please forward steps to reproduce the issue to tech support, as well as the .arc2 file which will be of great help (cloning your speaker settings increases chance of reproducing issue).

post #3350 of 3360 Old 12-16-2014, 10:18 AM

I haven't tried resetting it yet. Have so many settings and inputs set up - don't kind of want to lose it all, but it seems the only path forward.
post #3351 of 3360 Old 12-16-2014, 10:21 AM

Another "cracking" issue:

first noticed after updating to 1.2.1 firmware - I use PC with Windows media center as DVR connected via HDMI from ATI 7850 card. Every time I fast forward HD show and hit Play - loud cracking noise sounds before video/audio start playing. Can record on my phone if necessary.
post #3352 of 3360 Old 12-16-2014, 10:38 AM

save or not to save... that is the question

Quote:
I haven't tried resetting it yet. Have so many settings and inputs set up - don't kind of want to lose it all, but it seems the only path forward.
that's what the save/load user settings is for. See manual p30 topic 3.11
You should be on the "save side"
post #3353 of 3360 Old 12-16-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post
that's what the save/load user settings is for. See manual p30 topic 3.11
You should be on the "save side"
But aren't these settings can screw it up again?

I'm going to try it, that's the only way to find out
post #3354 of 3360 Old 12-16-2014, 12:32 PM

Liked: 13
I recently (12-1-14) bought the MRX710 and wrote this back to the dealer:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roger,

Wow, the new setup is really good. I thought the Onkyo I had sounded good but now I realize it was just noise. I use Star Trek Into Darkness opening 10 minutes of the movie as a reference scene. I played it on the Onkyo with the surround speakers in the new position you recommened. For a fair test I ran Audyssey again on it. With the new speaker position, it sounded great.

Then I hooked up the Anthem out of the box and only set speaker distance and ran my reference scene. It sounded a ton better than the Onkyo already, enough where I thought how much better can it get?

I spent some time running the ARC software and understanding it. Very cool setup and lots to play with.

Ran my reference scene again. I had no idea my speakers could sound that incredible!! I was hearing things I just never heard before and the soundstage felt like it was 3-4 feet above the speakers and deeper than they are in the room. Super kudos man, great system. The SVS PB2000 sounded good before but the bass integration amongst all the speakers is just incredible.

Now, that was running ARC in auto mode. In manual mode, I know I can tweak more. It is my understanding I can send my file to Anthem tech support for review; let me know what you know about that process please. I do have a dip at 50Hz on the sub in the room; I may have to move it to help as I know software can only do so much.

Thanks Roger, fantastic purchase.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Needless to say I love the receiver and can't wait to tweak settings. The dip I mentioned above is in the screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub 50Hz dip.png
Views:	58
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	425769  
jbrown15 likes this.

Last edited by viper99ta; 12-16-2014 at 12:34 PM. Reason: forgot pic
post #3355 of 3360 Old 12-16-2014, 02:55 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Another "cracking" issue:

first noticed after updating to 1.2.1 firmware - I use PC with Windows media center as DVR connected via HDMI from ATI 7850 card. Every time I fast forward HD show and hit Play - loud cracking noise sounds before video/audio start playing. Can record on my phone if necessary.
I have the same issue, but with a satellite box with an external SSD as a PVR.

post #3356 of 3360 Unread 12-17-2014, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper99ta View Post
I recently (12-1-14) bought the MRX710 and wrote this back to the dealer:

Roger,

Wow, the new setup is really good. I thought the Onkyo I had sounded good but now I realize it was just noise. I use Star Trek Into Darkness opening 10 minutes of the movie as a reference scene. I played it on the Onkyo with the surround speakers in the new position you recommened. For a fair test I ran Audyssey again on it. With the new speaker position, it sounded great.

Then I hooked up the Anthem out of the box and only set speaker distance and ran my reference scene. It sounded a ton better than the Onkyo already, enough where I thought how much better can it get?

I spent some time running the ARC software and understanding it. Very cool setup and lots to play with.

Ran my reference scene again. I had no idea my speakers could sound that incredible!! I was hearing things I just never heard before and the soundstage felt like it was 3-4 feet above the speakers and deeper than they are in the room. Super kudos man, great system. The SVS PB2000 sounded good before but the bass integration amongst all the speakers is just incredible.

Now, that was running ARC in auto mode. In manual mode, I know I can tweak more. It is my understanding I can send my file to Anthem tech support for review; let me know what you know about that process please. I do have a dip at 50Hz on the sub in the room; I may have to move it to help as I know software can only do so much.

Thanks Roger, fantastic purchase.

Needless to say I love the receiver and can't wait to tweak settings. The dip I mentioned above is in the screenshot.
Welcome to the Anthem family! Glad to see another SVS subwoofer user too! Your graph looks good, nothing too out of place as the corrected response matches really close to the target curve. I'm using the SB-2000 in my slightly less than 2000 cu. ft. media room and it sounds fantastic. I still like Onkyo/Integra as I never had an issue with their receivers, however, the sound quality difference that ARC provided was significant enough to warrant a brand change to Anthem.
whodunnit likes this.
post #3357 of 3360 Unread 12-19-2014, 08:51 AM

Liked: 13
Just purchased Paradigm speakers to go with the Anthem, letting them play right now for a couple of hours before trying ARC again. Looking forward to it!!
post #3358 of 3360 Unread 12-19-2014, 01:59 PM

Liked: 10
ARC Issue

Folks,

I have had an MRX 510 for a couple months now but the sound never sounded right. It sounded a little muddy. Not happy with my first go around, I ran ARC a second time and got the same results so I went old school and hauled out two calibrations discs and my SPL meter and my sub was 6-8 db too hot. I emailed Anthem and sent them my ARC file and the tech's response didn't make sense. He said "Realistically playing a calibration disc and testing with an SPL especially on the subwoofer won’t give as accurate results as ARC." that doesn't sound right to me because that presupposes that everything is right with ARC in the first place. Shouldn't everything should sound correct after ARC does its EQ? What if I have a faulty calibtation mic, and yes, I did use the mic file that came with the receiver. BTW - when I manually turn my sub down, the receiver sounds better. I'm just concerned that ARC isn't doing what it should be doing. Any suggestions before I call Anthem back? I have all Klipsch speakers and an SVS sub.

Thank you in advance.

Bill
post #3359 of 3360 Unread Today, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey all,

I just purchased the mrx-710 today and in the process of setting it up.

The issue I'm having is I can't get any output to my Dune media player that is connected to HDMI 2. My cable box works fine on HDMI 1.

I have it outputting to a optomo hd33.

Tried setting it up using my harmony remote. Its asking if it should set the avr to any inputs? I set it up to start on HDMI 1.

Please help.

Thanks
post #3360 of 3360 Unread Today, 02:16 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post
Anyone notice on their unit that AnthemLogic isn't an option when playing 96/24 2.0 FLAC files? I tried changing my Oppo's settings, bitstream, PCM, etc. with no luck.
I have noticed this as well. AL-Music also reduces the Sub level by 4 dB. I verified it by measuring it with REW.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com