Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 113 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #3361 of 3376 Old 12-21-2014, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Got my Anthem MRX 310 yesterday and the sound is incredible. Have it hooked up to an external power amp.

Thinking of moving the power amp into another room for seperate duties and using the MRX 310's internal amp.

I will be driving it in stereo mode to a set of Monitor Audio Silver 8 that are rated up to 200w @ 4ohm.

I have a few questions for Nick.

1) Is the MRX 310 capable of 4 ohm nominal?

2) Is there some form of clipping protection or warning signal which is displayed if the amp is overdriven?

3) What are the distortion specs rated for at 4ohm on the MRX 310?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 3376 Old 12-22-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathenkane View Post
I have noticed this as well. AL-Music also reduces the Sub level by 4 dB. I verified it by measuring it with REW.
Glad to hear it isn't just me. In the meantime, I've been using Neo6 Music which seems to work fine.
post #3363 of 3376 Old 12-22-2014, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphinbill View Post
...so I went old school and hauled out two calibrations discs and my SPL meter and my sub was 6-8 db too hot. ....Anthem ... tech's response ... won’t give as accurate results as ARC.... Shouldn't everything should sound correct ...?
Bill
Hi Bill - problem is we can't tell if your setup with manual SPL that you got used to was right in first place. At least it sounds right for you... most SPL meters have quite some variance (check the specs) that also should be taken into account. But in the end You might be right and the calibration file or mic has a problem. The refreshed website allows for downloadin calibration files, maybe that changes things? Best would be if you could lend nother ARC mic to confirm... and your dealer with a second opinion on site...
post #3364 of 3376 Old 12-23-2014, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How often does Anthem come out with new models?
post #3365 of 3376 Old 12-23-2014, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
From MRX x00 to x10 was about 3 years

post #3366 of 3376 Old 12-24-2014, 10:46 AM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckoflyte View Post
Got my Anthem MRX 310 yesterday and the sound is incredible. Have it hooked up to an external power amp.

Thinking of moving the power amp into another room for seperate duties and using the MRX 310's internal amp.

I will be driving it in stereo mode to a set of Monitor Audio Silver 8 that are rated up to 200w @ 4ohm.

I have a few questions for Nick.

1) Is the MRX 310 capable of 4 ohm nominal?

2) Is there some form of clipping protection or warning signal which is displayed if the amp is overdriven?

3) What are the distortion specs rated for at 4ohm on the MRX 310?
Nick @ Anthem doesn't show up upon request, though he might PM you. Not sure how to define his job, but in the past his input appears to be on his own time, but hard to know. The fact that he comes as a representative at all is really cool, given the lack of feedback often seen from other companies. Part damage control of course...the Anthem's have their issues, as do most AV products nowadays, but also very helpful and informative, so a definite thumbs up for Anthem and Nick IMHO.

To answer your questions, to the best of my ability...which admittedly isn't the most profound, as I am far from the most informed person on this forum!

1) While the MRX line is not spec'd for four ohms speakers, the Anthem can drive them. The bigger issues come from phase variation within the speakers themselves. As I understand it, differing phase angles, or extreme differentiations between simultaneous positive and negative phase signals within the speakers themselves can cause a near shorting at the amplifier, causing shut downs. I run Vandersteens, and though I use my MRX 510 as a pre, I have run it for quite a while on its own, with no problems. My speakers are rated b/n 4 & 6 ohms, with my rears dipping to 3 ohms, but they are phase consistent across bandwidth, and hence not so hard to drive, even though they are not a particularly efficient speakers. Where the resistances dips along the audio spectrum is more an issue. A 4 ohm speaker that dips into the nether regions at 100 hz is going to be a more difficult load than one that does so at 12khz, making nominal ratings as provided by most manufacturers a fairly useless spec. So the true question is, will the Anthem drive your 4 ohm speakers? You could email Anthem and ask specifically. They have been accumulating info. over the last year or so now as to what speakers aren't playing nice with the MRX series, and they might have an answer for you. Or you could just try it. If the amp shuts down, it's protecting itself before damage can happen. You really have nothing to lose, and you'll have your answer.

2) No. It just shuts down. The fan on full will give you plenty of potential heads up. I've researched the fan, to see if there were a potentially quieter replacement, and it specs at 37 db at full output. I haven't taken a meter to it, but it's definitely too loud for an audio component, and I really hope Anthem will address this in their next iteration of the receiver.

3) No idea, but it's not something I would be too concerned about personally. My 510 has one of the nicest sounding amp sections of any receiver I have ever owned, I suspect the 310 is similar. The power rating of my 510 also feels conservative relative to my older Arcam AVR. ARC is the real deal, and bass integration is phenomenal. Not as much concerned with the specs. as I am with the sound!

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
post #3367 of 3376 Old 12-24-2014, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I had it drive Dyno A52SE's, 4 ohm @ 86 db sensitivity, hard to drive but phase-wise well behaved speakers. No shutdown issues, fan on medium at -5 - -10db. Since you already have you 310 I suggest trying it out without the power amp for a good hour of listening. With my current setup, I can't even get the fan to turn on (okay, external fan and air management is working nicely), and I can't really push it harder without ear protection. My current record is 0db for Norah Jones, Little Broken Hearths, All a Dream (last track), pure bass for 6 minutes (with full range fronts, 8ohm @ 89db sensitivity, well behaved with phase again).

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks
post #3368 of 3376 Old 12-25-2014, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. Got a 310 for Christmas. Lovely amp, but could someone explain what Dolby Volume and Leveler do and whether they should be on or off? I have come from a Denon where I used Dynamic EQ and normally listen about -20/25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3369 of 3376 Old 12-25-2014, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Dolby volume balances the audio, so it has more bass at lower volumes for example. Basically it alters the loudness of different frequencies. Try it out if you listen at low volumes, it sounds more natural to me.

Dolby leveler normalizes the incoming audio, so it's roughly the same loudness. It has 9 levels, 9 being the most aggressive, 0 means its turned off. Good for TV watching (no more stupidly loud commercials). This is only available if you turn DV on. Basically this normalizes the track, so alters the whole volume (and compresses the dynamic range). Don't use it for music.

If you didn't turn on DV, you'll have another option here which will only work with DD and TrueHD soundtracks, and does the same dynamic range compression but based on the embedded info in the DD / TRHD stream.

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks

Last edited by Barnahadnagy; 12-25-2014 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Fixed typos.
post #3370 of 3376 Old Yesterday, 12:38 AM

Thanks. So it sounds like dolly volume is similar to dynamic eq on my old denon. I always struggled with that a bit as it made the dialogue sound slightly more muffled. I wonder if dv will do the same. Got guardians of galaxy for Christmas so will give a whirl.

post #3371 of 3376 Old Yesterday, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesP1701 View Post
Thanks. So it sounds like dolly volume is similar to dynamic eq on my old denon. I always struggled with that a bit as it made the dialogue sound slightly more muffled. I wonder if dv will do the same. Got guardians of galaxy for Christmas so will give a whirl.

In Audyssey terms, Modeler=Dynamic EQ and Leveler=Dynamic Volume
post #3372 of 3376 Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Hello all. Got a 310 for Christmas. Lovely amp, but could someone explain what Dolby Volume and Leveler do and whether they should be on or off? I have come from a Denon where I used Dynamic EQ and normally listen about -20/25.
Quote:
First off congrats on a great Christmas gift, you are going to love it !!

Dont fret too much about Dolby-play with it ans see how you like it. As mentioned dont use it for music. I set leveler at 5 and it works pretty well-definately no muffled voices. Actually I almost never use my television speakers any more as I find I am straining to hear dialogue while it is crystal clear from the Anthem and this is with my Pioneer TV having pretty good speakers mounted to each side unlike today's speakers firing into the wall behind the TV.

FWIW, I would focus more on ARC than Dolby as this will give you the biggest impact in sound quality. My dealer was correct when advising to use all 10 points for readings-it makes a difference. Also, I have 2 different main listening areas and measure 10 points at each area-again it does make a noticeable difference.

Dont let 10-20 measure points scare you if coming from Auddessey XT like I did. ARC sweeps are so much faster and 20 measure points probably take the same or less time than Audessey XT 8 point sweeps.

Use quick measure for placement if you wish. I spent last Sunday re arranging the room and moving my sub to many different locations. Quick Measure was so much help here. I used a long sub cable and put the 120LB XS30 on furniture movers from Home Depot and moved it around with ease. Found a good spot for me in regards to output and my better half's approval in regards to visual placement, re ran ARC (yup 20 points) played with targets and the output now has easily double the impact it use to have while being seamlessly integrated with the 5 other speakers. Heck even my girlfriend notices the difference

If you can get the house to yourself for half a day, the work (actually playtime for some of us ) will be worth it.

Good luck and have fun with your new big boy toy!!
whodunnit and emergetech like this.

Last edited by gbreda; Yesterday at 06:45 AM.
post #3373 of 3376 Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pretty new to the high end home theater world, and trying to get some answers to a couple of things I don't understand. I have an Anthem MRX-510 in 5.1 channel setup. I have been using ARC since I got the receiver about a year ago, and have always struggled with clear dialog at lower volumes. I have tweaked this thing in every way I can imagine with DD settings, center channel volume, re-running ARC in different positions, etc. The reciever sounds great at "normal" volume, but at lower listening (-40 to -50) listening, the background sounds are very loud, and dialog almost inaudible. This is on all sources except cable. I am using an Oppo BDP-93, Apple TV, Xbox One, PS4, and all have this issue. Any ideas? I have some messages in to Anthem, but they are obviously busy right now.

Also, I just noticed that on every run of ARC lately, my room gain is set at 4.00. This is with ARC version 1.1.2882. It doesn't matter what I change, it is always defaulted at 4.00. This didn't use to be the case. I would get different readings on every run between 0.620 to 1.650, etc. I don't understand enough about room gain to understand why this is happening, or why it is relevant.

Lastly, I don't have the ability to run either Automatic mode, or Manual mode with ARC. I can choose the different programs to run, but they both do the exact same thing. Confusing. I have no more tweaking ability with one over the other, they are identical.

Just wondering if anyone has any friendly advice to troubleshoot, or any ideas what I might try to remedy the issues. I have always used popular brands like Denon, Marantz, etc. with none of these issues, and am just wondering if there is something obvious that I'm missing.

Thanks.
post #3374 of 3376 Old Today, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
First off congrats on a great Christmas gift, you are going to love it !!

Dont fret too much about Dolby-play with it ans see how you like it. As mentioned dont use it for music. I set leveler at 5 and it works pretty well-definately no muffled voices. Actually I almost never use my television speakers any more as I find I am straining to hear dialogue while it is crystal clear from the Anthem and this is with my Pioneer TV having pretty good speakers mounted to each side unlike today's speakers firing into the wall behind the TV.

FWIW, I would focus more on ARC than Dolby as this will give you the biggest impact in sound quality. My dealer was correct when advising to use all 10 points for readings-it makes a difference. Also, I have 2 different main listening areas and measure 10 points at each area-again it does make a noticeable difference.

Dont let 10-20 measure points scare you if coming from Auddessey XT like I did. ARC sweeps are so much faster and 20 measure points probably take the same or less time than Audessey XT 8 point sweeps.

Use quick measure for placement if you wish. I spent last Sunday re arranging the room and moving my sub to many different locations. Quick Measure was so much help here. I used a long sub cable and put the 120LB XS30 on furniture movers from Home Depot and moved it around with ease. Found a good spot for me in regards to output and my better half's approval in regards to visual placement, re ran ARC (yup 20 points) played with targets and the output now has easily double the impact it use to have while being seamlessly integrated with the 5 other speakers. Heck even my girlfriend notices the difference

If you can get the house to yourself for half a day, the work (actually playtime for some of us ) will be worth it.

Good luck and have fun with your new big boy toy!!

Thank yiu very much for this. In terms of speaker placement, we only ever use two positiins: we have a small sofa at the rear of the room. Where should I be putting the microphone?

post #3375 of 3376 Old Today, 07:18 AM

Also, before I bought my new 310 I had a lot of conversations with people as to whether it would power my B & W 683 fronts, him 62 centre and ds3 rears.

Now that I have it, it sounds wonderful but I can't help being curious as to how I would even know if they weren't receiving enough power.

James

post #3376 of 3376 Unread Today, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 30
^^

B&W ...nice. I looked hard and listened to the CM10 but too pricey for this guy. From what I understand, the new series 2 are greatly improved across the entire line. I have the MRX510 and have always used an external amp prior to this but after 4 months I have yet to feel the need for it with this AVR. Although I am using high efficiency speakers that really dont require much power.

In regards to mic placement, always start at the main listening position and then spread across the seating areas at ear level. Coming from Audessey, I then set the mic at positions across the seating area a few feet in front, again at ear level. I always do the final sweep at the main listening position again.

If anyone has other mic position theory, I am always open for improvement.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com