Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 118 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #3511 of 3527 Unread Yesterday, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
^^
True on the amp side, but I think the Yamaha vs Anthem as a pre/pro might make a difference. I have not heard Yamaha AVR in my room.

Going from Onkyo with a B&K 200.5 amp and Denon to Anthem made a big difference.

I have had NAD in the past and IMO, NAD vs Anthem-that is a toss up until you factor in XT vs ARC
Anthem to other brands will sound different, but I thought he was wondering if th 310 would sound lesser than the 510/710, which it won't, just missing features and power.
gbreda likes this.

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
-$8500ish : (
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 3527 Unread Yesterday, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just have a 5.1 system so I dont need the extra channels. My room is well over 7000 cubic feet (all open space...18x25 and a story and half high...with the back of the room opening to the kitchen area), and the Yamaha pushing Von Schweikert speakers just wasnt cutting it. The 200 watts rms amp makes a big difference in filling the space with reference level sound. Years back I had NAD separates but got rid of them and when I came back into hifi (so to speak) I just been using a yamaha receiver I had laying around...

I am thinking/hoping using the Anthem front end with ARC will provide a better sound than the Yamaha and YPAO I have now. It just sounds kind of flat in the mid range and when pushed hard, can be a little harsh on the highs. As far as ARC goes, no difference between the 310 and 510/710 right?
post #3513 of 3527 Unread Yesterday, 12:43 PM

No difference with ARC or sound, it's just extra power and features, that's it.

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
post #3514 of 3527 Unread Yesterday, 01:32 PM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
I just have a 5.1 system so I dont need the extra channels. My room is well over 7000 cubic feet (all open space...18x25 and a story and half high...with the back of the room opening to the kitchen area), and the Yamaha pushing Von Schweikert speakers just wasnt cutting it. The 200 watts rms amp makes a big difference in filling the space with reference level sound. Years back I had NAD separates but got rid of them and when I came back into hifi (so to speak) I just been using a yamaha receiver I had laying around...

I am thinking/hoping using the Anthem front end with ARC will provide a better sound than the Yamaha and YPAO I have now. It just sounds kind of flat in the mid range and when pushed hard, can be a little harsh on the highs. As far as ARC goes, no difference between the 310 and 510/710 right?
Nope. Just missing the two channels and the front HDMI. The 710 has a toroidal transformer, and whatever opinion you might have on that subject, it's of no concern in your case. Best way to know is to try it. You've obviously got a really difficult space, sounds like to "perfect" your sound (whatever that means) you'll need add some room treatments etc. Arc is a powerful tool, but it can't fix everything. IMHO, bass integration is arc's greatest strength, and quick measure would be really useful in your situation. I haven't looked into YPAO for a couple of years, so specs may have changed...but at least back then it didn't even provide correction below somewhere around 60Hz. If still the case, that alone would have me recommend the Anthem over the Yamaha. I agree with Gbreda, if you're happy with staying 5 channel and don't care about Atmos or DTS-X, go for the 310. That said, a tall ceiling is perfect for Atmos and ceiling installed speakers!
post #3515 of 3527 Unread Yesterday, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodunnit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post

Nope. Just missing the two channels and the front HDMI. The 710 has a toroidal transformer, and whatever opinion you might have on that subject, it's of no concern in your case. Best way to know is to try it. You've obviously got a really difficult space, sounds like to "perfect" your sound (whatever that means) you'll need add some room treatments etc. Arc is a powerful tool, but it can't fix everything. IMHO, bass integration is arc's greatest strength, and quick measure would be really useful in your situation. I haven't looked into YPAO for a couple of years, so specs may have changed...but at least back then it didn't even provide correction below somewhere around 60Hz. If still the case, that alone would have me recommend the Anthem over the Yamaha. I agree with Gbreda, if you're happy with staying 5 channel and don't care about Atmos or DTS-X, go for the 310. That said, a tall ceiling is perfect for Atmos and ceiling installed speakers!
Thanks for the clarification and I believe you are correct regarding ypao and bass
post #3516 of 3527 Unread Yesterday, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I use jriver for my high rez music and wanted to know is there a setting in the anthem that I can configure so I don't need my projector on to listen?
post #3517 of 3527 Unread Yesterday, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Regarding the NAD/Anthem comparison... I'm actually using an NAD T758 downstairs in a 2.0 setup after selling my Integra, which is near the MRX 310 price point. I also had it installed in the main 5.1 setup in a media room for a while, but the MRX 510 that I have wins over the NAD T758 due to the ARC feature. You can get an upgraded card for the NAD to give it MultEQ XT, but that puts the price up to the MRX 510 range. In my opinion, Anthem's ARC offers better performance per dollar than the NAD option, with the added bonus of more ARC customization options too. NAD doesn't really offer much new after that unless you want to spend a few thousand or so.

I ended up getting the NAD T758 as a thank you to a dealer that helped sell my used equipment and for many years of support. I bought the Anthem from a new dealer that is now closer. The NAD receiver sounds great and I use it in a room where I am not concerned about room correction anyways and just wanted basic features. When paired up against the Anthem, the ARC feature offered better sound balance in my mostly untreated media room 5.1 system. Even my wife noticed and she is far from a critical listener.

Hope that helps anyone here.
post #3518 of 3527 Unread Today, 10:29 AM

I'm sure NADs are great AVRs but they're butt ass ugly, just the ugly looks of them would make me pass on it.

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
post #3519 of 3527 Unread Today, 12:22 PM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post
I'm sure NADs are great AVRs but they're butt ass ugly, just the ugly looks of them would make me pass on it.
No, NAD doesn't exactly floor one with a pretty face, not that your MRX 300 is exactly beautiful! The x10 series was a big step up for Anthem as far as aesthetics are concerned IMHO!
post #3520 of 3527 Unread Today, 12:28 PM

Quote:
No, NAD doesn't exactly floor one with a pretty face, not that your MRX 300 is exactly beautiful! The x10 series was a big step up for Anthem as far as aesthetics are concerned IMHO!
See when I first seen the MRX 00 in photos I thought it was ugly, as it shows more grey looking but in person it's much nicer looking as its black, after seeing it in person I had no issues with the looks, still I think Arcams are the sexiest AVRs, I'd be temped to buy one just for its good looks but I'm a big believer in ARC.

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
post #3521 of 3527 Unread Today, 12:32 PM

I would guess Anthem would be updating these AVRs soon? I can't see them selling this price range and not have HDMI 2.0 at this point, has there been any news on these?

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
post #3522 of 3527 Unread Today, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post
See when I first seen the MRX 00 in photos I thought it was ugly, as it shows more grey looking but in person it's much nicer looking as its black, after seeing it in person I had no issues with the looks, still I think Arcams are the sexiest AVRs, I'd be temped to buy one just for its good looks but I'm a big believer in ARC.
No kidding. I own an old Arcam AVR 200...My 510's nice, but if I could cram my Anthem into that old Arcam I'd do it in a heartbeat. The new Arcams' are beautiful as well, but I agree with you on Arc.
Not to mention Arcam here in the States is kind of out of my price range. Probably because of all those high dollar industrial design gurus they employ....
post #3523 of 3527 Unread Today, 12:50 PM

Only rumors so far, the end of this year...Supposedly DTS-x and/or Dolby Atmos included. And since of course, everything you read on the internet is true..You can take that to the bank. To deal with the new expanded formats, those arc engineers will have their work cut out for them. Waiting for the next generation eh?
post #3524 of 3527 Unread Today, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 32
At this point it's far too early to jump in. Anything you need HDMI2 for is still for the early adopters. Anthem is not exactly a company for those people, so one year more at least. There isn't a single 4k TV out there I would buy (OLED is way too expensive and not mature enough, and an LCD won't cut it), and there won't be for quite some time, not to mention actual 4k content, or the fact you can fit 4k movies through HDMI1.4 (just 30 fps ones, but HFR movies are even more scarce than 4k ones), I can only agree with Anthem's pace here.

Hopefully we get more video processing for it too, it would be very logical to have AVRs marketed with their good FHD -> UHD upscaling capabilities.
emergetech likes this.

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks
post #3525 of 3527 Unread Today, 01:02 PM

Yup I am, I have a 4K TV and will buy a 4k player, I want hdmi 2.0. I'll likely pre order the new ones.

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
post #3526 of 3527 Unread Today, 01:54 PM

^
Oooh, an early adopter! You're a brave soul JustABrah. I'll let you iron out the kinks for me first I gotta agree with Barnahadnagy on that one. No way would I want to be on the front end of HDMI 2.0. Give the new Anthem 6 months+ on the market first, and let others do the suffering for you. Not Anthems fault. Things are advancing so fast, and standards are constantly changing faster than hardware/firmware can keep up. Ooops, there I go on my soapbox again.
Waiting on OLED for the next TV, when cheaper and with proven reliability/longevity. Until then, me and my Panny Plasma will remain best buds.....
JustABrah likes this.
post #3527 of 3527 Unread Today, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
They initially posted the new ARC version in beta, only available upon request from Anthem, as a temporary workaround for the problem. The current text with the new ARC version 1.2882 does not call it a temporary work around, though I believe it is the same software. Hard to know if they are going to address this particular issue further...one can hope. I am running both the new firmware and ARC with no issues, but with the new firmware there is an initial problem with Dolby Music front to rear and center channel width adjustments. Instead of numerical levels displayed, the adjustments levels seem to go through just about any symbol possible on a display, including some I swear are cyrillic symbols. Keep pressing the remote, and once you go through all the weirdness, (with some interesting sonic results during the process) as soon as you hit numerical values it ill lock in and work fine. You need do this for both center and front to rear adjustments. It's pretty amusing actually. (Or was in retrospect after I figured it out)
Glad I saw your post! I updated to the latest firmware and saw the issue you described with Dolby PLII Music and the weird fonts. Using the down arrow to cycle through all the fonts until the numbers appeared worked, although still not sure toggling through the settings to the Dimension setting is working well. I may just be confused about what this does. I see a DimensionR and a DimensionF setting.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com