Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 125 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #3721 of 3733 Old 03-24-2015, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneborredude View Post
I havent heard the 710 .But I am pretty sure that an 510 with a good external amp will sound better.
My lexicon DD-8 sounds just awesome, compared to the 510s internal......
But the DD-8 also costs more than the 510.....
For an experiment, I switched from my Rotel RMB-1095 to my MRX-310's internal amps to see if I could hear a difference. The 310 can certainly play just as loud, but it is noticeably inferior to the outboard amp in at least a couple of respects.

For example, in Tron Legacy there is a noticeable lack of power and presence in the soundtrack. Lower frequency notes (but not subwoofer low - obviously subwoofer performance is identical) that I can "feel" with the Rotel I can barely hear at all with the MRX.

Another reference track I use is the closing credits of The Grand Budapest Hotel, which is some kind of Russian classical style. Higher string notes on the MRX seemed to get all smooshed together to the point where it almost sounded like static in spots, whereas the Rotel does not exhibit this effect.

Of course, the 710 has much better amps than the 310 so I would expect it to sound better. And the Rotel certainly isn't perfect either - I'm currently looking for a replacement that it more airy and transparent. But I thought I would just throw my $0.02 worth in.

Anthem MRX-310 / Rotel RMB-1095 / Oppo BDP-93
Klipsch RF-7 II, RC-64 II, RS-62 II (5.1) / Paradigm Sub 15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 3733 Old 03-24-2015, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJazz View Post
For an experiment, I switched from my Rotel RMB-1095 to my MRX-310's internal amps to see if I could hear a difference. The 310 can certainly play just as loud, but it is noticeably inferior to the outboard amp in at least a couple of respects.

For example, in Tron Legacy there is a noticeable lack of power and presence in the soundtrack. Lower frequency notes (but not subwoofer low - obviously subwoofer performance is identical) that I can "feel" with the Rotel I can barely hear at all with the MRX.

Another reference track I use is the closing credits of The Grand Budapest Hotel, which is some kind of Russian classical style. Higher string notes on the MRX seemed to get all smooshed together to the point where it almost sounded like static in spots, whereas the Rotel does not exhibit this effect.

Of course, the 710 has much better amps than the 310 so I would expect it to sound better. And the Rotel certainly isn't perfect either - I'm currently looking for a replacement that it more airy and transparent. But I thought I would just throw my $0.02 worth in.
Just curious on how quiet this setup was with the units on and no output. Any noise or hiss at all from the speakers?
whodunnit likes this.
post #3723 of 3733 Old 03-24-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
Just curious on how quiet this setup was with the units on and no output. Any noise or hiss at all from the speakers?
I hadn't checked this last night when I did my tests, so I just went in the room and checked this out.

With the MRX's integrated amps, there is absolutely no sound at all from the speakers with a source selected but no material playing. I mean it is dead quiet - no hiss, hum - nothing. I put my ear right next to several of my speakers and I could not tell that the MRX was even turned on.

Contrast this when I'm using my Rotel amp where there is a very noticeable, though not terribly objectionable, low hum from all the speakers with no material playing. Like I said, the Rotel's hum isn't terribly loud, though it's definitely audible from the listening position if the room is totally quiet.

I hope that answers your question.

post #3724 of 3733 Old 03-24-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I hadn't checked this last night when I did my tests, so I just went in the room and checked this out.

With the MRX's integrated amps, there is absolutely no sound at all from the speakers with a source selected but no material playing. I mean it is dead quiet - no hiss, hum - nothing. I put my ear right next to several of my speakers and I could not tell that the MRX was even turned on.

Contrast this when I'm using my Rotel amp where there is a very noticeable, though not terribly objectionable, low hum from all the speakers with no material playing. Like I said, the Rotel's hum isn't terribly loud, though it's definitely audible from the listening position if the room is totally quiet.

I get the same from my B&K amp (which was dead quiet with my former Onkyo pre/pro ) and another user has the same issue with his Rotel. This eliminates the interconnects as its happening for several of us while the other AVS member and myself are using different interconnects-mine are Blue Jean LC1 and his are DIY self made.

With the integrated amp its dead quiet so for now that is what I use.
post #3725 of 3733 Old 03-24-2015, 05:34 PM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

Gbreda is asking my questions for me! What a guy! Thanks bud for covering in my absence. My 1095 is paired with a 510, and I have a low volume hum with a background, very slight, slow 1-2 second peak to trough oscillation, which does not occur when hitched up to my older Arcam. Ther Anthem amps are dead silent. Does your 1095's hum also exhibit a slight oscillation? It does not appear to be ground related, and I actually exchanged the receiver due to the problem, though without any change. The setup sounds great except for that annoying background noise. What other amps are you considering to replace your 1095?
post #3726 of 3733 Old 03-24-2015, 05:35 PM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Quote:
I get the same from my B&K amp (which was dead quiet with my former Onkyo pre/pro ) and another user has the same issue with his Rotel. This eliminates the interconnects as its happening for several of us while the other AVS member and myself are using different interconnects-mine are Blue Jean LC1 and his are DIY self made.

With the integrated amp its dead quiet so for now that is what I use.
Trading posts are we? Too cold out there for ya?
post #3727 of 3733 Old 03-24-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodunnit View Post
Trading posts are we? Too cold out there for ya?
Actually it was a balmy 42 degrees today and sunny. We all went to the beach !!

Better start typing a little faster there buddy
post #3728 of 3733 Old 03-24-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Actually it was a balmy 42 degrees today and sunny. We all went to the beach !!

Better start typing a little faster there buddy
Hey...Don't mess with me because I'm qwerty challenged. I wouldn't be married to this wonderful woman next to me if it hadn't been for her typing all my term papers in college at a buck a page....so my poor typing skills were to my benefit. Inflation sucks though...now she's up to 8 bucks a page and wants paid vacation and medical to boot. Hah! Had to fire her but no luck with a replacement as of yet. Deal with it.

Anthem. Just so we aren't off topic.
gbreda likes this.
post #3729 of 3733 Old 03-25-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Does your 1095's hum also exhibit a slight oscillation?
I have never noticed any oscillation. When I hook the Rotel back up after a few days, I'll listen closer for it. For what it's worth, the hum with the MRX/Rotel combo seems pretty similar to what it was with my previous receiver, a Denon AVR-3808ci (which was also connected to the Rotel).

Quote:
What other amps are you considering to replace your 1095?
I don't really have the budget for it right now, but I've been researching the Parasound Halo A51 and the Anthem Statement P5. From what I've read, the Parasound has a similar "warm" bias like the Rotel, but with tighter bass control and a more detailed and open high end. The price isn't too bad, either. However, Parasound apparently isn't sold in Canada and warranty service would require cross-border shenanigans.

On the other hand, the P5 has been described both as more "neutral" and more "clinical" than the Parasound. Anthem is a Canadian company, too, so I'm good there but the P5 is super-expensive (for me). There's also the more reasonably priced A5, but after 15 years with the Rotel I figure when the time comes I can splurge on a P5 if it lasts me that long.

Ideally I'd be able to A/B/C test them (against my Rotel), but there is no way for me to even demo a Parasound or a P5. So I guess it will have to be a leap of faith.

post #3730 of 3733 Old 03-25-2015, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a 310 and using blue jeans cables connected it to my Outlaw 7125 thinking I would use it's power for all my channels like I did in my previous setup.

I didn't have any hum at all, never did. But in comparison, the 310 trumped the 7125 in clarity. The 7125 had a little more punch in the bass but was not as articulate. The top end also to my ear is cleaner on the anthem like a veil was lifted. I wish I still had my old B&K to compare which had a really good sound, but it had a hum I traced to leaky caps so I gave it away.

If anyone knows of a inexpensive multi channel amp(3, 5 or 7 channel around 200 WPC) that doesn't break the bank and can outperform the Anthem internal amps send me a PM.
post #3731 of 3733 Old 03-25-2015, 03:50 PM

Well Dr. Jazz might have a 1095 Rotel for sale. The hum issue is questionable as to fault....I really like my 1095 as mated with my Vandersteen set up, and against the 510's amps it seems warmer and maybe a bit soft on the high end for some...but I prefer that. Gobs of power ...and a unique look as well that sets it apart from...well about anybody...sort of Darth Vader industrial design. How the Rotel mates with the Anthem is a possible issue though. My amp has been checked out and given a clean bill of health...so there may be a compatibility problem with the Anthem. As far as reasonably priced amps...surf Audiogon. Lots of used equipment...some of it ridiculous esoteric, but lots of Rotel, BK, Parasound, Bryston etc. also. If you're a serious Geek like me, it's a time suck site though, so be forewarned. I can't see buying a new amp. Like cars, there value drops once you drive off the lot...and a well designed amp will last for years, with no real reason to upgrade relative to other HT equipment. Buying an amp with a few years on it can get you something you might not otherwise afford, and open up possibilities one might have not considered at retail prices.
post #3732 of 3733 Old Today, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
only had my MRX 710 for a few weeks now and still trying to get use to it. I have a few questions:

I am adding a 2nd sub to my layout and was wondering what settings I need on the back on each sub. I've attached a pic of the back to help. They are both the exact same Polk 10" subs. The 710 only has one sub out so I'm going to spilt them with a Y cable but should I use another Y cable for the L/R line on the back or just plug into the right only (which I've seen suggested)? Do they need to be set the same phase or opposite? and what should I set the Low Pass to?

Also, I have a 7.1 set up is there a way to tell if the 710 is outputting to 7.1 without having to go listen to each individual speaker? My old Onkyo would display that a 5.1 signal was coming in and that it was outputting 7.1.

Thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	polk.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	630073  
post #3733 of 3733 Unread Today, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestreaux View Post
only had my MRX 710 for a few weeks now and still trying to get use to it. I have a few questions:

I am adding a 2nd sub to my layout and was wondering what settings I need on the back on each sub. I've attached a pic of the back to help. They are both the exact same Polk 10" subs. The 710 only has one sub out so I'm going to spilt them with a Y cable but should I use another Y cable for the L/R line on the back or just plug into the right only (which I've seen suggested)? Do they need to be set the same phase or opposite? and what should I set the Low Pass to?

Also, I have a 7.1 set up is there a way to tell if the 710 is outputting to 7.1 without having to go listen to each individual speaker? My old Onkyo would display that a 5.1 signal was coming in and that it was outputting 7.1.

Thanks for the help
Your low pass should be turned up to the max. You can use a Y cable from the MRX and plug those into the L (or R) on each sub. Your subs' output will be summed, so if you look for the Audyssey cheat sheet in another thread, it tells you how to adjust for phase and gain before you run ARC. Not sure if there is a similar guide on this thread. If you have a 5.1 source and see PLIIx as the sound mode, it would be 7.1 output.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page