Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 3370 Old 12-16-2013, 01:40 AM
Newbie
 
Vinzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by melb View Post

^^  Turn off Firewall and Anti-virus program if running? Oh and disable wireless network on laptop too.

Already tried both, but still no luck. I also tried another router I had at home and was able to connect using that router...
ARC works great. Very fast. Very informative graphs...

@Melb: thanks for all you advice/help so far... biggrin.gif
Vinzie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 3370 Old 12-16-2013, 05:47 AM
Member
 
music first's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by melb View Post


Just setting up the dedicated stereo outputs into the Anthem now. Going to set up an input and run them into the analog 1 input then set speaker config 2 for no processing and just two front speakers. Basically just a switch I hope. Will report back...got a lot to do today.

The Oppo is new to me as well so I have never had a chance to use the multichannel outputs. Before I got the Anthem (last week) I had a Yamaha RX-V3800.

Before I got the Oppo I had an Arcam BDP-100. The Arcam would not play many many Blu-rays. It was very good sounding (I thought) with CDs but against the Oppo...no contest.
Ok thanks melb. How would your rate the sound of the Anthem against the 3800? It it a different type of sound, is it clear difference between the two? The reason I ask, is I also have a Yamaha RX-V2500.
music first is offline  
post #363 of 3370 Old 12-16-2013, 09:29 PM
 
islandmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15


Hello fellow AV fanatics.  This is my first post to AVS Forum.  I've been following the discussion here with some interest.

 

I'm in the market for a new receiver (stepping up from a Denon 4311) in an effort to improve 2 channel music performance.  Movies and multichannel music seem fairly easy for any modern top-tier receiver.  My Denon sounds great for multichannel.  Zero complaints.  Good 2 channel is a lot tougher.

 

I'm into computer audio and thinking about getting a relatively expensive USB DAC (eg. Auralic Vega, Benchmark DAC2 HCG or Exasound e20) for 2 channel music.  Regarding non-Japanese, boutique receivers it seems the closest competitor to the MRX 710 is the Cambridge Audio 751r so I'm trying to decide between these two receivers.  Although they are both supposed to have excellent 2 channel sound they try to achieve this in two very different ways.

 

As mentioned previously in this thread, to perform it's best, the MRX 710 does D/A conversion on analog inputs to allow ARC to do it's thing.  For computer audio most high quality USB DAC manufacturers specifically warn you not to allow their DAC's analog outputs to be re-digitized as this will negate the sonic benefits of their DACs.  Therefore, using an expensive USB DAC doesn't seem to make sense with the MRX 710.  It's possible to disable ARC but what are you left with regarding sound quality?

 

The CA 751r has the advantage of allowing an easily selectable "analog direct" routing button on the remote that bypasses all D/A conversion for 2 channel and 7.1 multichannel analog inputs.  This keeps the signal from the DAC's analog outputs as pure as possible.  The 751r has absolutely no useful room correction (Audyssey 2EQ sucks).  Presumably CA prefers to rely on a high quality pre-amp and great amplifiers for good sound.

 

So, assuming that the room is an idealized, dedicated, "rectangular box" theater with some acoustic treatments in place and symmetrically placed speakers and sub-woofers, which receiver is best if all processing is turned off?

islandmd is offline  
post #364 of 3370 Old 12-16-2013, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lespurgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: California
Posts: 2,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
With the MRX 710 I would use HDMI or SPDIF out from the computer to the receiver, no point in a DAC in the middle. I use an external DAC, but my old Rotel has no digital section.
lespurgeon is offline  
post #365 of 3370 Old 12-16-2013, 10:38 PM
 
islandmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

With the MRX 710 I would use HDMI or SPDIF out from the computer to the receiver, no point in a DAC in the middle. I use an external DAC, but my old Rotel has no digital section.


Thanks for the reply.  I'm currently using a HDMI connection with my Denon with good results for movies and multichannel.  Unfortunately, HDMI is not at all ideal for high quality 2 channel music.  Too much jitter.  A high quality asynchronous USB DAC seems to be the best current option for computer audio.  In addition I'm currently exploring DSD and SACD rips which require a higher end USB DAC for play back of native DSD files.  So the question boils down to: how does the MRX 710 sound with analog inputs and ARC turned off?  Should I consider something else?

islandmd is offline  
post #366 of 3370 Old 12-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Member
 
stevelup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Swindon, UK
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Personally, I would say that the advantages of ARC massively outweigh any of the imagined disadvantages associated with using HDMI for audio.

Show me one person who can actually detect and identify HDMI jitter on a true blind test...

... whereas on the other hand, the benefits of ARC are massively and immediately obvious even to someone with cheese in their ears!
TKO1 and grasshoppers like this.
stevelup is offline  
post #367 of 3370 Old 12-17-2013, 01:15 AM
 
islandmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15

Assuming that ARC is so beneficial that you would be OK with analog re-digitization, has anyone had some experience comparing a computer server connected to the MRX 710 with HDMI vs an external USB DAC on the analog inputs?  I don't mind saving the cost of an external DAC if HDMI sounds just as good but I am looking for the best possible 2 channel sound so I am willing to get a DAC if it helps the sound.

 

Also, I believe this question was asked before but not answered:  Does anyone know what DAC(s) implementation the 710 uses?

islandmd is offline  
post #368 of 3370 Old 12-17-2013, 01:27 AM
Member
 
SpeedSurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

islandmd: I use an external DAC (Hegel HD20) for music, but also an external amplifier (Hegel H200) for music. When playing movies and tv-series I use my MRX 510 through HDMI, and the sound to my fronts goes through the HT-passthrough on the Hegel H200. I get the best of two worlds this way.

Before the MRX 510 I had a Onkyo 809, and the difference in sound quality is massive!

 

One of these days I will test using the MRX for 2-channel sound just for the fun of it.. :)

SpeedSurfer is offline  
post #369 of 3370 Old 12-17-2013, 01:58 AM
 
islandmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15

Thanks SpeedSurfer.  Until recently I was doing the same thing as you.  I was using a Perreaux 150i integrated amp with a HT bypass and a PS Audio Perfectwave DAC for 2 channel and my Denon 4311 for multichannel.  The 2 channel stuff has now been sold.  I guess I'm looking to simplify my system by going with a one-box solution like the MRX 710 or the CA 751r.

 

Unfortunately, using a separate integrated amp with HT bypass also bypasses ARC.  The two responses I've received so far imply that ARC is more sonically beneficial than a pure analog signal path, expensive DACs, USB vs HDMI cable, etc.

 

I assume that you connect your Hegel HD20 DAC to the H200, bypassing the MRX (and ARC) for 2 channel music.  It would be very interesting to hear your comments comparing the sound of your Hegel HD20 connected directly to the MRX 510 with and without ARC processing.

islandmd is offline  
post #370 of 3370 Old 12-17-2013, 02:38 AM
Member
 
SpeedSurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
 I assume that you connect your Hegel HD20 DAC to the H200, bypassing the MRX (and ARC) for 2 channel music.  It would be very interesting to hear your comments comparing the sound of your Hegel HD20 connected directly to the MRX 510 with and without ARC processing.

 

You assume right!

 

I will test this during the holidays, for sure.

SpeedSurfer is offline  
post #371 of 3370 Old 12-17-2013, 09:10 AM
Senior Member
 
MitchPope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmd View Post

Assuming that ARC is so beneficial that you would be OK with analog re-digitization, has anyone had some experience comparing a computer server connected to the MRX 710 with HDMI vs an external USB DAC on the analog inputs?  I don't mind saving the cost of an external DAC if HDMI sounds just as good but I am looking for the best possible 2 channel sound so I am willing to get a DAC if it helps the sound.

I have an MRX 510 and use an Audiolab M-DAC connected to my AppleTV streaming mostly ALAC rips from CDs. I was ready to sell my M-DAC as the AppleTV over HDMI sounded really good (upgraded from a MRX 300). Then I realized I hadn't turned the "process analog source" to off and there seemed to be a noticeable difference on the material I was listening to. I will have to experiment further, but I'm thinking of keeping the M-DAC now.
islandmd likes this.

MitchPope is offline  
post #372 of 3370 Old 12-17-2013, 10:31 AM
 
islandmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchPope View Post


I have an MRX 510 and use an Audiolab M-DAC connected to my AppleTV streaming mostly ALAC rips from CDs. I was ready to sell my M-DAC as the AppleTV over HDMI sounded really good (upgraded from a MRX 300). Then I realized I hadn't turned the "process analog source" to off and there seemed to be a noticeable difference on the material I was listening to. I will have to experiment further, but I'm thinking of keeping the M-DAC now.

Your Apple TV connected to the Audiolab M-DAC should produce excellent results in an audiophile 2-channel system.

 

Your comment was a little unclear.  In what configuration did you feel the M-DAC was beneficial to the sound?

islandmd is offline  
post #373 of 3370 Old 12-17-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Snowmanick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I have a question I hope you guys can help help me with. I am looking at the MRX 510, and I am unsure about its video processing. Is it possible to have one input processed, and another input set as pass-through? I don't need any video processing on my Blu-ray player, but I would like it on my DVR.

Thanks in advance.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

"If it works the first time, it's not high end." ~ Harry Pierson
Snowmanick is offline  
post #374 of 3370 Old 12-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Senior Member
 
MitchPope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmd View Post

Your comment was a little unclear.  In what configuration did you feel the M-DAC was beneficial to the sound?
Listening to the AppleTV via HDMI sounds very good, but with the M-DAC connected via optical to the M-DAC to the analog in on the MRX 510 the sound seems a bit more open, with better imaging and tighter bass. It's not much, but I noticed it.

MitchPope is offline  
post #375 of 3370 Old 12-17-2013, 11:42 AM
 
islandmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchPope View Post


Listening to the AppleTV via HDMI sounds very good, but with the M-DAC connected via optical to the M-DAC to the analog in on the MRX 510 the sound seems a bit more open, with better imaging and tighter bass. It's not much, but I noticed it.


Thanks for your reply Mitch.  With the M-DAC connected to the MRX via analog, did you compare the quality of the sound with and without ARC?  With ARC you get the benefit of room correction but the signal is re-digitized and manipulated.  Without ARC you lose room correction but gain a pure signal path.  Your comments on which one sounds better would be very appreciated.

islandmd is offline  
post #376 of 3370 Old 12-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Senior Member
 
MitchPope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmd View Post


Thanks for your reply Mitch.  With the M-DAC connected to the MRX via analog, did you compare the quality of the sound with and without ARC?  With ARC you get the benefit of room correction but the signal is re-digitized and manipulated.  Without ARC you lose room correction but gain a pure signal path.  Your comments on which one sounds better would be very appreciated.

I just gave it a quick listen to Cowboy Junkies Trinity Revisited and I don't hear a huge difference between ARC on and off with analog processing turned off. Although it doesn't grey the option out, it may automatically defeat ARC. It is not the same audible difference between turning "process analog" on and off. Maybe Bill would know if one affects the other behind the scenes.

MitchPope is offline  
post #377 of 3370 Old 12-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Senior Member
 
JasonT35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Greetings

I just bought the 510 and will be picking it up tomorrow.

Couple questions:

1. I am coming from a denon with audyssey, and will be using ARC for the first time. The FAQ for Audyssey here on AVS was great and I'm wondering is there something similar for ARC here at AVS. Are their any setup tips and tricks? Or is everything I need to know contained in the user manual and ARC software?

2. I have an apple tv which i will be connecting to the anthem , so I can use airplay. I use spotify to stream music from my ipad to the apple tv. Is this the best way to do this or would hooking up my laptop to the anthem directly make any difference?


Thanks!

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE
Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
JasonT35 is offline  
post #378 of 3370 Old 12-17-2013, 01:32 PM
 
islandmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonT35 View Post

Greetings

I just bought the 510 and will be picking it up tomorrow.

Couple questions:

1. I am coming from a denon with audyssey, and will be using ARC for the first time. The FAQ for Audyssey here on AVS was great and I'm wondering is there something similar for ARC here at AVS. Are their any setup tips and tricks? Or is everything I need to know contained in the user manual and ARC software?

2. I have an apple tv which i will be connecting to the anthem , so I can use airplay. I use spotify to stream music from my ipad to the apple tv. Is this the best way to do this or would hooking up my laptop to the anthem directly make any difference?


Thanks!


I have some experience with your 2nd question.  I currently have a Denon 4311 but I don't use Audyssey for 2.0 listening.  As a streaming device the AppleTV over HDMI or optical sounds very good to excellent.  I've compared it to my PC server with JRiver over HDMI as well as a good CD player over analog and the AppleTV sounds very similar.  There is an important limitation regarding the AppleTV.  It doesn't pass any audio over 16-44.  If you have high rez music it will get down-sampled to 16-44.  If you don't have high-rez material the AppleTV should sound the same as your laptop.  The only way your laptop might do better is if you invest in an external USB DAC.  I'm still trying to figure out if an expensive, external DAC makes sense when using a MRX receiver with ARC turned on.

JasonT35 likes this.
islandmd is offline  
post #379 of 3370 Old 12-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Senior Member
 
bkeeler10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Home Theater Review recently posted a great review of the MRX710 in case anyone is interested in reading it.

bkeeler10 is offline  
post #380 of 3370 Old 12-18-2013, 07:13 AM
Senior Member
 
JimmyTango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmd View Post


Thanks for the reply.  I'm currently using a HDMI connection with my Denon with good results for movies and multichannel.  Unfortunately, HDMI is not at all ideal for high quality 2 channel music.  Too much jitter.  A high quality asynchronous USB DAC seems to be the best current option for computer audio.  In addition I'm currently exploring DSD and SACD rips which require a higher end USB DAC for play back of native DSD files.  So the question boils down to: how does the MRX 710 sound with analog inputs and ARC turned off?  Should I consider something else?

Honestly, drop the USB DAC. Hell, drop the PC audio all together as you are using it.

There is no need to use HDMI for music at all, and you are concentrating on that as a reason not to do this which is flawed logic. Get something that can stream the music off your laptop/pc like a squeezebox, sonos, etc. and feed the digital signal into the Anthem.

FYI, I had an Anthem Statement D1 with ARC and went with a 4311 to simplify my set up and have everything going through HDMI besides audio(from a squeezebox touch). I have regretted it since and am looking at an MRX 710/510.
JimmyTango is offline  
post #381 of 3370 Old 12-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Senior Member
 
JasonT35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Is power the only difference between the 510 and 710? I'm picking up the 510 tonight but will get the 710 if there is more than just a power difference.

Thanks

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE
Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
JasonT35 is offline  
post #382 of 3370 Old 12-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Member
 
berkesnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vallejo, Ca. USA
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
According to the review at Home Theater Review (http://hometheaterreview.com/) the 510 and 710 are identical with the exception of power output. Double check with your dealer.
berkesnd is offline  
post #383 of 3370 Old 12-18-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Tolstoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmd View Post

Thanks SpeedSurfer.  Until recently I was doing the same thing as you.  I was using a Perreaux 150i integrated amp with a HT bypass and a PS Audio Perfectwave DAC for 2 channel and my Denon 4311 for multichannel.  The 2 channel stuff has now been sold.  I guess I'm looking to simplify my system by going with a one-box solution like the MRX 710 or the CA 751r.

Unfortunately, using a separate integrated amp with HT bypass also bypasses ARC.  The two responses I've received so far imply that ARC is more sonically beneficial than a pure analog signal path, expensive DACs, USB vs HDMI cable, etc.

I assume that you connect your Hegel HD20 DAC to the H200, bypassing the MRX (and ARC) for 2 channel music.  It would be very interesting to hear your comments comparing the sound of your Hegel HD20 connected directly to the MRX 510 with and without ARC processing.
I dont understand your statement. I have a setup similar to yours where my MRX 510 is coupled with a high-end stereo system. The MRX-510 is used a preamp for my front left and right and the MRX for all other channels.The beauty of ARC is that it doesn't care if you use the internal

I dont understand your statement. I have a setup similar to yours where my MRX 510 is coupled with a high-end stereo system. The MRX-510 is used a preamp for my front left and right and the MRX for all other channels.The beauty of ARC is that it doesn't care if you use the internal or external power amp or a mixture of both. ARC will compensate for all this and come up with the ideal solution.or external power amp or a mixture of both. ARC will compensate for all this and come up with the ideal
Tolstoi is offline  
post #384 of 3370 Old 12-18-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Tolstoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmd View Post


Thanks for your reply Mitch.  With the M-DAC connected to the MRX via analog, did you compare the quality of the sound with and without ARC?  With ARC you get the benefit of room correction but the signal is re-digitized and manipulated.  Without ARC you lose room correction but gain a pure signal path.  Your comments on which one sounds better would be very appreciated.

I did this comparaise using my external DAC and also with a turn table and the conclusion is that Analogue conversion is quite good there is a little sound quality cost which is largely compensated by the ability to use ARC.
Tolstoi is offline  
post #385 of 3370 Old 12-18-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Tolstoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonT35 View Post

Greetings

I just bought the 510 and will be picking it up tomorrow.

Couple questions:

1. I am coming from a denon with audyssey, and will be using ARC for the first time. The FAQ for Audyssey here on AVS was great and I'm wondering is there something similar for ARC here at AVS. Are their any setup tips and tricks? Or is everything I need to know contained in the user manual and ARC software?

2. I have an apple tv which i will be connecting to the anthem , so I can use airplay. I use spotify to stream music from my ipad to the apple tv. Is this the best way to do this or would hooking up my laptop to the anthem directly make any difference?


Thanks!

The ARC that you will using is a totally new product and therefore are no previous thread on it and you are currently in right thread to discuss issues or tricks.

That been said in my second post below I listed a few threads on ARC setup and calibration tricks that applies to all version of ARC.


http://www.avsforum.com/t/1497598/anthem-mrx-receivers-310-510-710-owners-thread-tweaking-guide#post_23901833
Tolstoi is offline  
post #386 of 3370 Old 12-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Senior Member
 
JimmyTango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonT35 View Post

Is power the only difference between the 510 and 710? I'm picking up the 510 tonight but will get the 710 if there is more than just a power difference.

Thanks

Power and the transformer.
JimmyTango is offline  
post #387 of 3370 Old 12-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Member
 
SpeedSurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

islandmd: compared two scenarios tonight:

 

1. Computer -> HDMI -> MRX 510 -> Hegel H200

 

2. Computer -> USB -> Hegel HD20 -> Hegel H200

 

Number 1 sounded actually really good, but got beaten by 2 in my ears. Partly because my sub plays in alternative 1, and my KEF R900 is good at playing bass without the need for a sub. And of course my DAC is *really* good, and the built in pre-amp in the H200 is no slouch either. But I could live without the DAC if nessesary

 

Will try Computer -> USB -> Hegel HD20 -> MRX510 -> Hegel H200 at a later date...

SpeedSurfer is offline  
post #388 of 3370 Old 12-18-2013, 03:31 PM
 
islandmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedSurfer View Post
 

islandmd: compared two scenarios tonight:

 

1. Computer -> HDMI -> MRX 510 -> Hegel H200

 

2. Computer -> USB -> Hegel HD20 -> Hegel H200

 

Number 1 sounded actually really good, but got beaten by 2 in my ears. Partly because my sub plays in alternative 1, and my KEF R900 is good at playing bass without the need for a sub. And of course my DAC is *really* good, and the built in pre-amp in the H200 is no slouch either. But I could live without the DAC if nessesary

 

Will try Computer -> USB -> Hegel HD20 -> MRX510 -> Hegel H200 at a later date...


Thanks Speedsurfer.  This is very helpful information.  I guess it's not surprising that the DAC and electronics in your $2000 HD20 would outperform the DAC in the much cheaper MRX 510.  I don't believe I've read anywhere yet what type of DAC implementation that Anthem is using in the MRX receivers.

 

I would really like to figure out the best way to get digital (hi-rez) audio into a MRX.  Previous suggestions by another AVS member to use a Sonos or Squeezebox don't really work for hi-rez audio since Sonos does not support anything over 16-44 and Squeezebox doesn't do better than 24-96.  Not to mention no support for the new DSD audio that's starting to become popular.  In addition, these streamers are using somewhat dated technology that is not considered state of the art by audiophiles for top-notch audio quality.  A much better choice would be something like the new Sonore Rendu or the Marantz NA11S1 network streamers.  I have some friends who think hi-rez audio is just a marketing gimmick and the extra resolution doesn't do much for the sound.  However, I already own a lot of the stuff and I'd like to be able to play it back properly.  That means using a computer or a high quality streamer.

 

Here's the test comparison that I think would be very interesting if you would be willing to try it:

 

1. Computer > HDMI > MRX 510 (with ARC on) > (+/- Hegel H200) > speakers

 

2. Computer > USB > Hegel HD20 > analog RCA > MRX 510 (with ARC on) > (+/- Hegel H200) > speakers

 

In this test the MRX 510 would be in the signal path in both cases.  This would allow us to figure out if an expensive external DAC makes any positive difference in sound quality.  From a cost perspective, It would be nice if they sounded the same.  It would eliminate the need to buy an external DAC.

 

BTW, what type of computer / software player do you use?

 

Thanks again for your help.

islandmd is offline  
post #389 of 3370 Old 12-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Newbie
 
Pinifinina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
 I have a question I hope you guys can help help me with. I am looking at the MRX 510, and I am unsure about its video processing. Is it possible to have one input processed, and another input set as pass-through? I don't need any video processing on my Blu-ray player, but I would like it on my DVR.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Snowmanick,

 

I have a MRX510. The answer to your question is "NO", you can't control which HDMI input to have video process enable/disable. BUT however, you can control which HDMI output to have video process enable/disable. As you may know MRX510 has 2 HDMI outputs, therefore you can assign one HDMI output to have vdeo process enable, and the 2nd HDMI output have video process disable. I hope this helps. 

Pinifinina is offline  
post #390 of 3370 Old 12-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Newbie
 
Pinifinina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
 Originally Posted by JasonT35 View Post

Greetings

I just bought the 510 and will be picking it up tomorrow.

Couple questions:

1. I am coming from a denon with audyssey, and will be using ARC for the first time. The FAQ for Audyssey here on AVS was great and I'm wondering is there something similar for ARC here at AVS. Are their any setup tips and tricks? Or is everything I need to know contained in the user manual and ARC software?

2. I have an apple tv which i will be connecting to the anthem , so I can use airplay. I use spotify to stream music from my ipad to the apple tv. Is this the best way to do this or would hooking up my laptop to the anthem directly make any difference?


Thanks!

Hi Jason T35

 

From my own experience with MRX510, the ARC system is fairly easy to setup. As you may know the system is run through network with your computer. The easiest way is use the wifi to communicate between your computer with your MRX510. I guess there is one trick. Maybe you have already read some people in this thread mentioned the computer can't find the receiver through their network. I think the reason is because they have disabled the "IP Control" under "General Configuration". The "IP control" needs to be ENABLED in order for the computer to located the receiver, otherwise it won't work. Other than this simple trick, there are no any tricks really. I found the new ARC system is quite straight forward.

 

I have apple TV connect to my MRX510 as well, and it works really well. I play internet radio through my iphone to the apple TV. The only issue is as you may know, apple TV has no CEC for the HDMI, so this means you need to switch ON your receiver manually and also manually select the correct input on the receiver for the apple TV. Hope this helps.  

Pinifinina is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off