Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 130 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #3871 of 3900 Unread 05-16-2015, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 61
For 2 or more subs with ARC, there is no need for separate distances in the processor. If you have limited placement options use the level and phase adjustment on the subs and use the quick measure feature to find the most EQable response, then let ARC do its job. There is no need to EQ the subs separately unless trying to do stereo bass which is difficult to detect with lower frequencies being difficult to localize.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 3900 Unread 05-17-2015, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 79
^Yes, and once group eq is applied as the final and necessary step, stereo eq no longer "rules". Subs interact in-room, therefore group eq overrides individual eq.

Eliminating that last step would require recordings with 100% of low frequency info exclusively in the right or the left channels at any one time, never both, and nothing in the LFE channel. This is not only highly unlikely, but goes contrary to the idea of having multiple subs working as a group to tame resonances.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #3873 of 3900 Unread 05-17-2015, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

I acquired an Anthem MRX-300 but the microphone is lost. Is there any way to use ARC (=get a replacement mic)?
post #3874 of 3900 Unread 05-17-2015, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When are the new line of Anthem receivers rumored to be released. Is it this year or next. I am looking to pick an Anthem 710 soon. Currently auditioning a Marantz 7008 from BB ( 45 days return window) and it seems pretty good to drive the SVS ultra towers. Decisions ??

My Setup:
Plasma Panasonic 65" VT50
A/V Receiver : Yamaha 671 7.1
Console: PS3, PS4
Speakers : SVS Ultra Towers 5.1 & PB2000-NSD Sub
post #3875 of 3900 Unread 05-17-2015, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark hunter View Post
When are the new line of Anthem receivers rumored to be released.
No word on AVRs and it's worth noting that with-Atmos flagship models from the large manufacturers have MSRP that is 50% higher than their immediate predecessors'.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #3876 of 3900 Unread 05-17-2015, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder08 View Post
replacement mic?
Yes, from tech support:

www.anthemav.com/support/contact-us.php

post #3877 of 3900 Unread 05-17-2015, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Thank you Nick, I just sent a message there
post #3878 of 3900 Unread 05-17-2015, 11:53 AM
J.P

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
No word on AVRs and it's worth noting that with-Atmos flagship models from the large manufacturers have MSRP that is 50% higher than their immediate predecessors'.
Is it likely we will see a new processor in the "Statement collection" from Anthem ?
post #3879 of 3900 Unread 05-17-2015, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesvicky View Post
What a poor excuse/explanation for no dual sub control
Anthem's approach here is smarter than most others.

Quote:
A Marantz 8802's MSRP is 50% higher than a 8801's MSRP?

I'm curious, is the AVM60 a "true" prepro (a la AVM50/D2, Emotiva XMC-1, Krell, Classe, Bryston, etc.) or is it an "AVR sans amps" (a la Marantz 7702, Marantz 8802, Yamaha, Onkyo/Integra, etc.).

(The practical difference: single-chip "AVR LSI" vs. discrete electronics.)

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 

Last edited by DS-21; 05-17-2015 at 02:27 PM.
post #3880 of 3900 Unread 05-17-2015, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

^They're prepros and the original query and response pertained to AVRs. Speaking of, the sister company's flagship receiver is $3K whereas the previous two were $2K.

"is the AVM60 a "true" prepro ("AVR LSI" vs. discrete electronics.)"

Not sure how to respond because drawing a line between true vs false prepros solely based on a circuit category would be quite the blanket statement. Audio quality is judged through pre-outs, not block diagrams and there are right and wrong ways of using any type of circuit. As well, not all LSIs are created equally and as op-amps have shown, the tables can turn on discrete components over time.

post #3881 of 3900 Unread 05-17-2015, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
Is it likely we will see a new processor in the "Statement collection" from Anthem ?
It's not in the current plan.

post #3882 of 3900 Unread 05-17-2015, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
For 2 or more subs with ARC, there is no need for separate distances in the processor. If you have limited placement options use the level and phase adjustment on the subs and use the quick measure feature to find the most EQable response, then let ARC do its job. There is no need to EQ the subs separately unless trying to do stereo bass which is difficult to detect with lower frequencies being difficult to localize.
Quote:
^Yes, and once group eq is applied as the final and necessary step, stereo eq no longer "rules". Subs interact in-room, therefore group eq overrides individual eq.

Eliminating that last step would require recordings with 100% of low frequency info exclusively in the right or the left channels at any one time, never both, and nothing in the LFE channel. This is not only highly unlikely, but goes contrary to the idea of having multiple subs working as a group to tame resonances.
I will say that while playing with dual subs today for the frst time, the quick measure was invaluable while adjusting delay and room size options on the 2 PSA S3000i. The results after running ARC looked pretty darn good in REW. This is what I had without much fuss-I am sure it can be dialed in a bit better

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual with ARC.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	722906  
post #3883 of 3900 Unread 05-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
Quote:
It's not in the current plan.
Is there anything in the plan involving more than 11.1 channels? It would sure be nice to have a 15.1 channel unit with ARC that doesn't cost as much as a car . . . but I'm not holding my breath, believe me. Even the rumored Emotiva unit is supposed to come in around $5k, so anything from Anthem with that many channels is likely to get into five figures I bet.

post #3884 of 3900 Unread 05-18-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^They're prepros and the original query and response pertained to AVRs. Speaking of, the sister company's flagship receiver is $3K whereas the previous two were $2K.
And the previous Denon flagship was like $6k or thereabouts. So one could just as easily make the case that Denon is charging only half as much for their immersive flagship than their best pre-immersive device!

If you compare like with like, Denon 4520 had an MSRP of $2500 when it was their flagship AVR, according to reviews from late 2013 and early 2014. Its immersive replacement, the X7200, has an MSRP of $3000. So in fact the immersive replacement has a 20% higher MSRP, not 50%.

Going a tier down from the flagship (admittedly out of the scope of your claim, which was only about flagships), the Denon 4000 had a $1300 MSRP. The immersive X4100 has a $1500 MSRP. So a little higher MSRP, yes: about 15%.

Now, Denon’s pricing doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with what Anthem can or will do. I also understand that the Anthem immersive product will have a relatively higher BOM compared to to the MRX ’10 line than the Denon immersive product has relative to their previous product: the Denons already supported extra channels in some fashion, whereas Anthem (wisely) IMO sought to build a better-sounding device through developing and refining ARC rather than adding synthetic channels willy-nilly. So compared to the MRX '10 an immersive Anthem will need more DACs, more amps, more preouts, possibly computer code for amp channel assignment, etc. While Denon really just needed more DSP, code, license fees, etc. The other stuff was already there. But the fact remains that your 50% difference claim for Denon's previous and current flagship AVRs is wrong.

Quote:
"is the AVM60 a "true" prepro ("AVR LSI" vs. discrete electronics.)"

Not sure how to respond because drawing a line between true vs false prepros solely based on a circuit category would be quite the blanket statement.
I'll take that answer to mean that the AVM60 is functionally an AVR sans amps (i.e. uses an AVR LSI rather than discrete circuits). Not that there’s anything wrong with that from my perspective. In fact, I personally prefer it because it should be cheaper, and the performance penalty (if any) is likely to be more on the spec sheet than anything audible. (Audible differences in audio electronics are vastly overstated.) But the difference between an AVR LSI and discrete does set expectations as to price and market positioning. IOW, the market would expect a pre-pro based on an AVR LSI to be priced maybe at a very slight premium to a Marantz/Integra/Yamaha pre-pros, not AVM-D/Classe/Bryston money. So as long as you guys price it substantially cheaper than the AVM50, I think an AVR-based pre-pro a great compromise.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 

Last edited by DS-21; 05-18-2015 at 06:50 PM.
post #3885 of 3900 Unread 05-19-2015, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

^ Or you could consider X7200 vs the earlier X5200 and that 4520's MSRP ended up at $1600 (ref: manufacturer's site) but without losing sight of why we're having this discussion, the point for anyone trying to decide whether to buy current MRX vs wait for unspecified next-gen is that adding technologies and channels would undoubtedly make the current pricing structure a thing of the past.

AVM 60 price hasn't been set but it's safe to expect that it'll be lower than the current AVM's.
feistyacorn likes this.

post #3886 of 3900 Unread 05-19-2015, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post
Is there anything in the plan involving more than 11.1 channels?
There isn't.

post #3887 of 3900 Unread 05-19-2015, 07:15 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
AVM 60 price hasn't been set but it's safe to expect that it'll be lower than the current AVM's.
That's great to hear! I'm pretty excited about the AVM 60, especially with the more aggressive price!!! Are the specs final now? In the pictures I see that there isn't balanced inputs and only one trigger output. I was hoping to use a balanced DAC and only trigger the stereo amp for music listening.
post #3888 of 3900 Unread 05-19-2015, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

^ XLR input was left out due to attachment rate. Chances are that the outboard DAC uses both phases to create SE output and that the result is different only if the RCA interconnect is very long.

If your stereo amp has signal sensing, thus no need to trigger it, you may want to use the triggering on the other amp after configuring it for use only when specified inputs are selected. This is how the MRX trigger works - you can assign the pertinent inputs in the trigger configuration menu instead of having the trigger activate every time main power is on.

post #3889 of 3900 Unread 05-19-2015, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is it possible to play just 2.1 on my mrx 310?

I have the sub selected in arc and also the speaker setup. But i cant seem to get the sub to play with sound mode None. If i choose any other sound mode, like anthem logic, neo etc, the sub comes on. But then so do the other speakers like center a d surround, which i dont want. I just want to play 2.1. The source is pcm 2.0. Id appreciate some advice on this.
post #3890 of 3900 Unread 05-19-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
^ XLR input was left out due to attachment rate. Chances are that the outboard DAC uses both phases to create SE output and that the result is different only if the RCA interconnect is very long.

If your stereo amp has signal sensing, thus no need to trigger it, you may want to use the triggering on the other amp after configuring it for use only when specified inputs are selected. This is how the MRX trigger works - you can assign the pertinent inputs in the trigger configuration menu instead of having the trigger activate every time main power is on.

I'll have to look into using this method. Right now everything is triggered when my 510 turns on. Thanks Nick!
post #3891 of 3900 Unread 05-19-2015, 10:22 AM

By the way anthem support says its a settings related problem that my dealer can help with. Duh. I was expecting a more educated reply from the experts. I am hoping Nick can help.
post #3892 of 3900 Unread 05-19-2015, 10:51 AM

I am now being suggested a factory reset By Antjem support. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
post #3893 of 3900 Unread 05-19-2015, 12:07 PM

Liked: 11
I have just placed an order for MRX 710. With the AVM 60 just released, will the new line of AV receivers be launched soon. Should i have waited a little longer in picking up an anthem receiver?

My Setup:
Plasma Panasonic 65" VT50
A/V Receiver : Yamaha 671 7.1
Console: PS3, PS4
Speakers : SVS Ultra Towers 5.1 & PB2000-NSD Sub
post #3894 of 3900 Unread 05-19-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsng View Post
Is it possible to play just 2.1 on my mrx 310?

I have the sub selected in arc and also the speaker setup. But i cant seem to get the sub to play with sound mode None. If i choose any other sound mode, like anthem logic, neo etc, the sub comes on. But then so do the other speakers like center a d surround, which i dont want. I just want to play 2.1. The source is pcm 2.0. Id appreciate some advice on this.

There are two profiles that you can set when you run ARC. I'm running my first profile as surround for movies and my second profile as just stereo with sub for music. I believe this is what most people do.
post #3895 of 3900 Unread 05-19-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark hunter View Post
I have just placed an order for MRX 710. With the AVM60 just released, will the new line of AV receivers be launched soon. Should i have waited a little longer in picking up an anthem receiver?
AFAIK, the AVM60 isnt released yet but should be soonish? Anthem will probably take its time with the new AVR line and you can bet (as Nick has also eluded to) they will be more $$. For me, I dont have a real desire to use immersive audio just yet so its a moot point for me. Whether you should have waited all depends on your outlook on Atmos and DTS-X.

Good luck with the new toy and let us know how you like it !!
post #3896 of 3900 Unread 05-19-2015, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^ Or you could consider X7200 vs the earlier X5200
Why? They're both immersive products in the same line.

Quote:
and that 4520's MSRP ended up at $1600 (ref: manufacturer's site)
"Ended up" makes it irrelevant. Unless what you're telegraphing is that Anthem plans to roll out immersive AVRs while keeping the current line, and slash the prices on the current line.

Quote:
but without losing sight of why we're having this discussion,
We're having this discussion because you're trying to set expectations for future Anthem immersive AVR pricing. That's fine, but if your internal pricing deliberations are based on totally, indisputably incorrect data (your assertion that Denon increased the price of their flagship AVR 50% when they added Atmos) then that's worth correcting.

Quote:
Well, I for one hope you price it very aggressively.

--
Serious Audio Blog 
post #3897 of 3900 Unread 05-19-2015, 06:18 PM

Thanks fiesty. That was what i was doing but somehow cant getbthe sub to play with my fronts without choosing some sound mode. The sub is there and plays for all sound modes other than "None". I am now being suggested to try the beta firmware by support.
post #3898 of 3900 Unread 05-19-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsng View Post
Thanks fiesty. That was what i was doing but somehow cant getbthe sub to play with my fronts without choosing some sound mode. The sub is there and plays for all sound modes other than "None". I am now being suggested to try the beta firmware by support.
Something is not right. I always listen to PCM 2.0 and None as sound mode. Sub always turns on and is utilized. My current firmware is 1.2.6

You are using Bass Management, correct?

Last edited by gbreda; 05-19-2015 at 06:42 PM.
post #3899 of 3900 Unread 05-19-2015, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder08 View Post
Hi all,

I acquired an Anthem MRX-300 but the microphone is lost. Is there any way to use ARC (=get a replacement mic)?
Email Anthem to see if they can provide a replacement.

BTW, this is the thread for the new x10 series receivers.

The MRX x00 thread is here: Anthem MRX Receivers - 300, 500, 700 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide
post #3900 of 3900 Unread Today, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking into buying the MRX 510 for multi-channel listening.

However, for stereo listening, I would like to output stereo PCM via the MRX 510 digital output to my existing tube DAC and integrated amp.
Is ARC room correction available from the digital output or does it only work on the analog pre-out?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com