Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 136 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #4051 of 4071 Old 07-20-2015, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks Nathen. Great idea. Do I need to start afresh with new measurements and then create this speaker profile in ARC or can I simply go into the profile menu on the MRX and add surrounds and sub to the existing profile I have with only fronts? If I do this, will the ARC corrections for the surrounds and the sub be applied automatically to the respective speakers I add manually on the MRX directly? I am guessing not, but thought Id check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 4071 Old 07-20-2015, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsng View Post
Thanks Nathen. Great idea. Do I need to start afresh with new measurements and then create this speaker profile in ARC or can I simply go into the profile menu on the MRX and add surrounds and sub to the existing profile I have with only fronts? If I do this, will the ARC corrections for the surrounds and the sub be applied automatically to the respective speakers I add manually on the MRX directly? I am guessing not, but thought Id check.
You do not have to run ARC again. Open your current ARC file on your computer and choose which profile you would like to change. Select none for centre channel,recalculate and then upload. Eq will stay the same for Sub & Surrounds.
post #4053 of 4071 Old 07-20-2015, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathenkane View Post
What I do to get the vocal image back when using AL-Cinema is make a speaker profile and set center speaker to none. This gets me close enough to how AL-MUSIC used
to sound on my Anthem AVM 30.
That's why would be nice that Anthem would publish the beta version so it's "tested on the field"

Personally I asked for the link and the answer I got from tech support was "What do you need it for ?" .... Really Anthem ?
post #4054 of 4071 Old 07-21-2015, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 94
^ Is this a direct quote or an out of context paraphrase? Tech support asks what the issue is so they can try to duplicate your setup and problem, and then provide notification when a fix or potential one becomes available. At present there is no MRX beta software (there is ARC beta but it has nothing to do with AL-M sub level). The direct contact is also necessary so in case we don't hear back we can follow up before turning beta into general release. The password is so the user understands what beta is, and so that it gets used for the right reasons.
feistyacorn likes this.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #4055 of 4071 Old 07-22-2015, 05:23 AM

Does anyone know where you can find a list of all the types of audio these will decode? Don't see it listed anywhere.

Thanks,
Tim
post #4056 of 4071 Old 07-22-2015, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 94
^ PCM and the formats normally covered under Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA, up to 7.1 24/192. If you're asking about flac, mp3 etc, the source component decodes them and sends out PCM 2.0 or analog. Bitstream-out does not appy to these formats.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #4057 of 4071 Old 07-22-2015, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy61 View Post
... where you can find a list of all the types of audio these will decode?
AFAIK there is no such list, Dolby Digital plus and DTS HD Master are suppoted and anything less demanding. As long as your source ddevice can push PCM Multichannel it is less of a concern. Maybe Nick can share an "inofficial" list here feat all the parameters/ranges for the types of digital audio via HDMI or optical/coax?
samplin'rate discussions again?
ah - a sec too late

Last edited by mazpri; 07-22-2015 at 06:16 AM. Reason: too late
post #4058 of 4071 Old 07-22-2015, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the info. Is there any disadvantage to having the source unit decode these and sending them to the receiver PCM vs bit stream?

That explains why my receiver shows these are multi channel PCM rather than bitstream even though the Oppo is set to send bit stream on sacd's. My denon would decode these at the receiver but I guess it does not matter since the Anthem sounds so much better to me.
post #4059 of 4071 Old 07-22-2015, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm strongly drawn to an Anthem MRX 310 as fitting the needs I have for great audio and video fidelity, excellent room correction and not a bunch of features I don't use (7.1 channels or Dolby Atmos or beyond, audio streaming, multi-zone, etc.). One thing has me pausing though. My wife bloody hates using multiple remote controls to watch a TV show or a movie on disc or something from our media player or whatever. I have a macro-capable learning remote that I have "taught" to do things like "turn on the TV, the A/V receiver and the satellite receiver/DVR and set the A/V input to the appropriate one for the satellite receiver/DVR" when you press the "Satellite" button. That last step is possible because my current A/V receiver has buttons specific for each input.

From what I'm reading in the Anthem manuals, it looks like the selection of inputs from the remotes is all "relative" instead of "absolute". That is, If I'm on input 1 and I want to move to input 3, I have to press the right arrow button twice or hit the Input button, then the down arrow button twice. I could program those steps in, but it only works if I'm starting from input 3. If I start with input 2, I end up on input 4 instead of input 3.

Is there any way to "directly" go to a specific input using an Anthem remote? I've got a Harmony remote somewhere that I can download codes for from Logitech in case they support "direct" input codes but just don't implement them on their own remote.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!
post #4060 of 4071 Old 07-22-2015, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryElbow View Post
Is there any way to "directly" go to a specific input using an Anthem remote? I've got a Harmony remote somewhere that I can download codes for from Logitech in case they support "direct" input codes but just don't implement them on their own remote.!
I don’t know of a way to do this with the anthem remote.
My wife hates having lots of remotes and she controls our setup (inc. MRX 710) with a Harmony Touch remote control.

The Harmony Touch is capable of doing what you want, the only thing to remember is to set a power on delay of several seconds for the Anthem which gives it time to power up ready for the next command in the activity.
post #4061 of 4071 Old 07-22-2015, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Regarding MRX input support: Over HDMI: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 khz at 16 and 24bit, probably at 20 too. In any HDMI compatible channel mapping, up to 8 (7.1) channels. Same applies to optical, but only with two channels. Bitstreamed codecs are the usual DD (AC3), DTS, DTSHDMA and TrueHD, for what I tested, but I believe these are in the spec sheet (along with a few more variants of these). Notice that these do not include DSD (SACD), so that will always be converted to PCM at the source (lets not dive into DSD -> PCM conversion).

In the case of the MRX, I know no advantage of bitstreaming compared to decoding to the appropriate PCM format.

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks
post #4062 of 4071 Old 07-22-2015, 06:21 PM

Thanks for the info!!
post #4063 of 4071 Old 07-23-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julk View Post
I don’t know of a way to do this with the anthem remote.
My wife hates having lots of remotes and she controls our setup (inc. MRX 710) with a Harmony Touch remote control.

The Harmony Touch is capable of doing what you want, the only thing to remember is to set a power on delay of several seconds for the Anthem which gives it time to power up ready for the next command in the activity.
Yeah, I have to program in a delay of a few seconds after powering up my Onkyo before I can switch to a different input. I don't recall what model of Harmony I've got but your answer indicates to me that Logitech does have the right codes to do that and I can probably get my Harmony to switch to specific inputs and from that teach my remotes (I have two identical remotes so that the wife and I don't fight over them).

Thanks for your helpful reply, julk!
post #4064 of 4071 Old 07-23-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
My denon would decode these at the receiver but I guess it does not matter since the Anthem sounds so much better to me.
That's music to my ears as I was considering the usual suspects (Denon, Onkyo, Integra, Marantz & NAD) to replace my aging Onkyo AVR before zeroing in on an Anthem. Now if my company would just hurry up and give me my bonus so I can go get one!
post #4065 of 4071 Old 07-24-2015, 07:00 AM

USB Input asynch

With the increasing prevalence of using media computers do you guys every see you adding asynchronous usb input to your receivers? Most Dac's are starting to offer this and I am surprised I am not seeing this on AVR's. Seems as this would provide the best quality input for a media pc or a mac and allow the receiver to do the timing.

Thanks,
Tim
post #4066 of 4071 Old 07-25-2015, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
With the increasing prevalence of using media computers do you guys every see you adding asynchronous usb input to your receivers? Most Dac's are starting to offer this and I am surprised I am not seeing this on AVR's. Seems as this would provide the best quality input for a media pc or a mac and allow the receiver to do the timing.

Thanks,
Tim
I went down this route of adding a async DAC as all my source is from HTPC via HDMI.

I couldn't tell any difference in terms of sound quality. Maybe that was because I bought a lower end DAC (music fidelity I believe).
post #4067 of 4071 Old 07-25-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGTL View Post
I went down this route of adding a async DAC as all my source is from HTPC via HDMI.

I couldn't tell any difference in terms of sound quality. Maybe that was because I bought a lower end DAC (music fidelity I believe).
Were you running any sound processing in the receiver on that input? IF you input with analogue signal it just got converted back to digital back to analogue again in the receiver. I would like to be able to plug into usb on the receiver and have all the conversion done once there. Not sure if you can hear jitter or not, but would be nice.
post #4068 of 4071 Old 07-25-2015, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Were you running any sound processing in the receiver on that input? IF you input with analogue signal it just got converted back to digital back to analogue again in the receiver. I would like to be able to plug into usb on the receiver and have all the conversion done once there. Not sure if you can hear jitter or not, but would be nice.
I was using my old Yamaha RX-A1010 in direct mode.
post #4069 of 4071 Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM

Do you guys think we'll see new MRX receivers, with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 this year?

Sent from my iPhone

/Martin
post #4070 of 4071 Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
Do you guys think we'll see new MRX receivers, with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 this year?

Sent from my iPhone
Most likely not, Anthem it's busy to release the new processor AVM60 by end of the year.
post #4071 of 4071 Old Today, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadyn View Post
Most likely not, Anthem it's busy to release the new processor AVM60 by end of the year.
That's too bad, I will have to wait a little longer before replacing my MRX300 then

/Martin
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com