Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 164 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 312Likes

post #4891 of 4916 Old 04-26-2017, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post
Hi Indy. Odd to see your surrounds perform better at 100Hz an below than your fronts n center. In case these should be performing same sth is wrong. Redo the setup using QuickMeasure to position and toe in the correct angle of your speakers. Leave one setting to all auto to start with and for comparison of manual settings. Setting no.1 looks messed up alot, subwoofer at 300-700Hz? These Tannoys can't do 80Hz crossover.
Afaik the firmware has changed some things and is recommended for latest ARC PC software, the downloads include a version history. I recommend to use the latest ones only, both firmware and ARC software.
This is for the latest firmware:
HI Mazpri, yeah it's very annoying why the Fronts and center are not as good as rears. I have been told that the speakers aren't powerful enough, not sure if this is because I'm about 9 feet away from them and I'm pretty close to surrounds.

I've been recommended to buy the KEF LS50's and a BK Subwoofer, I have just got the new sub, BK XLS200, which sounds amazing, go the super spikes to go with it and very happy with it as bass wasn't very good for music on the Tannoy sub.

I have went down to 5.1 and tried messing about with front speakers but can't get a good response at all, still sound ok but I know it can sound a lot better. I'm currently saving up for the KEF's, do you think they will help?

Thanks
Indy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4892 of 4916 Old 04-26-2017, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Bones View Post
I have went down to 5.1 and tried messing about with front speakers but can't get a good response at all, still sound ok but I know it can sound a lot better. I'm currently saving up for the KEF's, do you think they will helpy
Don't know, i'm not so much into KEF. I really would try to fix the given setup using an updated firmware and ARC software using the auto settings then.
In case the fronts and rears of that speaker set are same build you also can swap those to see if things change. In case the speakers show same measurement when doing Quick Measure each speaker in ARC software from roughly 3ft mic distance you can blame it on the room layout. I'd put the better ones to the front in case there are any differences.

I'm pretty sure your sub and satellite combo does the job when not broken - and it's a given, there are always better and/or more expensive speakers to find, but that goes way off topic...
post #4893 of 4916 Old 04-27-2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Don't know, i'm not so much into KEF. I really would try to fix the given setup using an updated firmware and ARC software using the auto settings then.
In case the fronts and rears of that speaker set are same build you also can swap those to see if things change. In case the speakers show same measurement when doing Quick Measure each speaker in ARC software from roughly 3ft mic distance you can blame it on the room layout. I'd put the better ones to the front in case there are any differences.

I'm pretty sure your sub and satellite combo does the job when not broken - and it's a given, there are always better and/or more expensive speakers to find, but that goes way off topic...
Thanks mate, yeah, going to swap speakers round tonight and see the difference, all speakers are same spec, I will also move the mic to 3ft away to see results.

I have set my mind on getting new front speakers now so just a mater of deciding which ones but going with all the reviews the and their size the KEF's definitely fit the bill!

it will probably be a wee while before I have funds for them so hopefully find out what the problem is with my set up!

Cheers

post #4894 of 4916 Old 04-27-2017, 02:39 AM

Quote:

Also, everything up to date, just updated ARC 2 days ago, amp is up to date!
post #4895 of 4916 Old 05-23-2017, 09:30 AM

ARC software update

I just stumbled upon a new ARCv2 software version in the download section of AnthemAV.com
The readme file is dated April 13th and reads the following:
Quote:
Changes:

v1.6.5342:

1. Added full support for the dual-jack (3.5mm + USB) microphone which ships with soundbars.

2. (STR Integrated Amp) Fix for USB device programming.

3. (PW Soundbar) Fixed issue with crossover selection. If a subwoofer is used, 120 Hz is selected otherwise a high pass frequency is selected to fit the measured in-room response.

4. Improved auto-updates for slow connections by increasing timeout for the file downloader.
So it doesn't look like any important changes occurred for MRX owners, quite different to when v1.5.4872 was released. They added support and fixes for the new Paradigm soundbar that comes with ARC and the new Anthem STR integrated stereo amp.
Latest firmware for MRX-x10 series is still v.1.2.9 from 2015. The AVM60 and MRX-x20 series have seen firmware updates last December v.2.067, just in case anybody was wondering...
CruelInventions and kinglm like this.

Last edited by mazpri; 05-23-2017 at 09:33 AM. Reason: errata
post #4896 of 4916 Old 06-01-2017, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
MRx310 not recognizing flash drive

I recently purchased an mrx310 and I'm in the process of setting it up. I'm running into a snag, I can't get the MRX 310 to recognize my flash drive. The flash drive is formatted to FAT, but I tried exfat and NTSF. The .fw file is the only thing on the drive and it's in the root directory. I formatted it on a PC but it works fine on my Mac also. It's currently running 1.2.6. Any suggestions?
post #4897 of 4916 Old 06-01-2017, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwin View Post
I recently purchased an mrx310 and I'm in the process of setting it up. I'm running into a snag, I can't get the MRX 310 to recognize my flash drive. The flash drive is formatted to FAT, but I tried exfat and NTSF. The .fw file is the only thing on the drive and it's in the root directory. I formatted it on a PC but it works fine on my Mac also. It's currently running 1.2.6. Any suggestions?
I would (in order)
  1. Try a real power off (unplug, try power-up unplugged and plug in it again).
  2. Try another flash. Better if you are sure is USB 2.0.
  3. Try a reset to default (not so sure it may have effect. Anyhow your saved configuration are still there, so you can restore them at the end.

Media Server Audio: Teufel Connector 2 Media Server Video: XBMC TV: Panasonic TX-L37ET5E BD/DVR:Panasonic BMR-BWT735 Media player: Teufel Connector 2, WD TV Live (Remoto/cucina), HT Rec: ANTHEM MRX 510, Front: Woofer & Tweeter, Center: 2 Woofer & Tweeter, Surround: Bose acoustimass 5 series II, Sub: SVS SB2000
post #4898 of 4916 Old 06-01-2017, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr9999 View Post
I would (in order)
  1. Try a real power off (unplug, try power-up unplugged and plug in it again).
  2. Try another flash. Better if you are sure is USB 2.0.
  3. Try a reset to default (not so sure it may have effect. Anyhow your saved configuration are still there, so you can restore them at the end.
Thanks, problem solved. #2 did the trick, I guess it just didn't like that particular drive.

Very impressed with this unit so far!
post #4899 of 4916 Old 06-11-2017, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hi
I am considering purchasing an Anthem MRX520 for movies and music listening in my small entertainment room. And someone on another forum who works in the audio service industry told me that he has seen a lot of Anthems with service issues. I would appreciate hearing from any long time Anthem owners about your experience with their receivers. Thanks!
post #4900 of 4916 Old 06-12-2017, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I purchased an mrx500 about 3 months after it was released and used it for about three years before I sold it. I never had a single problem with the unit.

I purchased an mrx310 about two years ago and also never had any issues with the unit.
post #4901 of 4916 Old 06-12-2017, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
I purchased an mrx500 about 3 months after it was released and used it for about three years before I sold it. I never had a single problem with the unit.

I purchased an mrx310 about two years ago and also never had any issues with the unit.
Same with me; MRX-500 since it came out; use it for daily television, streaming, music, BD, CD, Flac, etc....works wonderfully......

Anthem MRX-720,Outlaw 7500 5ch amp
Oppo BDP-103, Sony XBR-65X930D, Rotel RP-855, Phillips BDP-7501
Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts,Paradigm Studio ADP-590 Surrounds,Martin Logan Motion 2 surrounds
Paradigm Studio cc-590 Center, Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, DefTech Supercube 4000
Roku Ultra, DIRECTV Genie DVR, OPPO Sonica DAC
post #4902 of 4916 Old 06-12-2017, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I never streamed media to my anthem receivers, I have a htpc connected to play all of my media files via hdmi.

Never had any audio or video sync or handshake problems either.

I also have a marantz sr7007 and its sound quality is not as good as my mrx500.
post #4903 of 4916 Old 06-12-2017, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickcox View Post
Hi
I am considering purchasing an Anthem MRX520 for movies and music listening in my small entertainment room. And someone on another forum who works in the audio service industry told me that he has seen a lot of Anthems with service issues. I would appreciate hearing from any long time Anthem owners about your experience with their receivers. Thanks!
I had my MRX300 for 5 years and the only time it went in for service was for an RCA connector that was pulled off by a cable I had with a really really tight grip on the MRX300 RCA connector. Anthem fixed it under warranty and I can't really blame the receiver for the problem. I'm now a MRX 720 owner and it's been just flawless like the MRX 300. I'd gladly buy Anthem again and gain.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #4904 of 4916 Old 06-12-2017, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickcox View Post
Hi
I've had my MRX-300 for over 6 years now and never had any issues
With. Use it almost daily too. I would buy another Anthem in a
Heartbeat.

Anthem MRX-300-Outlaw Audio M2200
Rythmik F12 subs
Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)
Assassin HTPC (movies)

Last edited by grasshoppers; 06-12-2017 at 02:52 PM.
post #4905 of 4916 Old 06-26-2017, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 778
No LFE sent to mains if going without a sub?

I caught this remark at the end of an interview with the brains behind the ARC software (see below).

Am I interpreting this correctly? Is he stating that for the MRX receiver models, if you have no subwoofer or the subwoofer is turned off, there will be no LFE effects rerouted over to the mains? Of course, the mains won't be able to handle the LFE track nearly as well as a subwoofer can. But nevertheless, I'm surprised that this information wouldn't be redirected over to the mains (like with most receivers) in a user circumstance where a subwoofer is unavailable. That LFE channel information will simply be lost. True?

Quote:
Audioholics: Is there a provision in ARC that allows redirection of LFE to the Main Front L/R channels as well as the dedicated subwoofer channel too? (This is valuable for the few people who have true full range tower speakers that can exceed the Audioholics Extreme Bassaholic rating)

Nick Platsis: LFE only plays from the sub unless the sub channel is disabled, in which case the AVPs, and not the AVRs, redirect LFE to the L/R front speakers.
http://www.audioholics.com/room-acou...m-eq-interview

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #4906 of 4916 Old 06-26-2017, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
Am I interpreting this correctly? Is he stating that for the MRX receiver models, if you have no subwoofer or the subwoofer is turned off, there will be no LFE effects rerouted over to the mains?
Correct. Was confirmed by Anthem​, in the first gen rcvr thread.

Justification was that most that had speakers that could handle the LFE channel well but not have a sub would use the pre-pro not a rcvr.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #4907 of 4916 Old 06-26-2017, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
Correct. Was confirmed by Anthem​, ..
Knock me over with a feather, never would have believed it. Probably more irritated with that explanation than the actual fact of no LFE being rerouted.

Thanks for confirming.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #4908 of 4916 Old 06-26-2017, 07:34 PM

Well, they didn't outright say it, but most anyone with speakers that good will be using higher end amps than the MRX AVRs.

And the results of sending LFE to less capable speakers would like produce worse results than no LFE.

And it helps differentiate their lower line AVRs from the higher line pre-processors. There were already a bunch using the MRX-300 as a processor (hence they dropped the 310 to 5 ch, and then killed it off).

They can't have the lower end steal​ too much from the money makers.

Last edited by ST Dog; 06-27-2017 at 09:39 AM.
post #4909 of 4916 Old 06-27-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I caught this remark at the end of an interview with the brains behind the ARC software (see below).

Am I interpreting this correctly? Is he stating that for the MRX receiver models, if you have no subwoofer or the subwoofer is turned off, there will be no LFE effects rerouted over to the mains? Of course, the mains won't be able to handle the LFE track nearly as well as a subwoofer can. But nevertheless, I'm surprised that this information wouldn't be redirected over to the mains (like with most receivers) in a user circumstance where a subwoofer is unavailable. That LFE channel information will simply be lost. True?

http://www.audioholics.com/room-acou...m-eq-interview
No, that is only stating that you don't have that double bass (i.e. LFE both on fronts and sub-woofer).
Pointless to add that depending on fronts cut over LFE may not cover the full LFE range and that switching off the sub is different that unflagging it in ARC target customization.

Let me add I have also checked that. You can easily verify on your own using a Dolby test movie and unflagging your sub in your ARC.

Media Server Audio: Teufel Connector 2 Media Server Video: XBMC TV: Panasonic TX-L37ET5E BD/DVR:Panasonic BMR-BWT735 Media player: Teufel Connector 2, WD TV Live (Remoto/cucina), HT Rec: ANTHEM MRX 510, Front: Woofer & Tweeter, Center: 2 Woofer & Tweeter, Surround: Bose acoustimass 5 series II, Sub: SVS SB2000
post #4910 of 4916 Old 06-27-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
No, that is only stating that you don't have that double bass
Nick said in the 1st gen thread that LFE was not sent to mains if no sub.
post #4911 of 4916 Old 06-27-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
Nick said in the 1st gen thread that LFE was not sent to mains if no sub.
I have not followed 1st generation (MRX x0y), but here we are in a 2nd generation thread (so I guess the post is about MRXx1y).
In the interview the question was about doubling bass and based on Nick's answer the understanding that LFE is not sent fronts (if sub is disabled) is a speculation I cannot find in his wording and that however I have verified as false on my MRX510.

post #4912 of 4916 Old 06-27-2017, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Let me add I have also checked that. You can easily verify on your own using a Dolby test movie and unflagging your sub in your ARC.
Actually, considering the purchase of the current gen MRX receiver models. Didn't think this aspect would have changed between x10 to x20, so I asked here as I came across this owners thread first.

Bottom line then, despite what may or may not have been stated by the Anthem representatives side of things, for MRX receivers, the LFE channel IS redirected to the fronts when the sub is either off, or, unflagged in ARC, correct?*

*Putting aside the question of whether or not your mains are able to adequately convey that LFE channel information (usually not, but you'll get at least some of it if the LFE is redirected here).

Quote:
post #4913 of 4916 Old 06-27-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I have not followed 1st generation (MRX x0y), but here we are in a 2nd generation thread (so I guess the post is about MRXx1y).
In the interview the question was about doubling bass and based on Nick's answer the understanding that LFE is not sent fronts (if sub is disabled) is a speculation I cannot find in his wording and that however I have verified as false on my MRX510.
I've never tested it. But it did seem true of the 1st gen. I think his post was in response to people with main that include powered subs or similar.

The could never get much LFE unless they used separate LFE inputs driven buy the subwoofer channel.

It may have changed with the 2nd gen. I know they moved ARC closer to the pre-pro version.
post #4914 of 4916 Old 06-27-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Bottom line then, despite what may or may not have been stated by the Anthem representatives side of things, for MRX receivers, the LFE channel IS redirected to the fronts when the sub is either off, or, unflagged in ARC, correct?*
Yes, but only if flagged off in ARC. When playing, MRX does not have any knowledge of the power state of its speakers, so it bases on what is coming from ARC measurement.
CruelInventions likes this.

post #4915 of 4916 Old 06-27-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
When playing, MRX does not have any knowledge of the power state of its speakers
But it knows what speakers you have listed as installed in the setup pages. That is separate from ARC and controls the surround mix. ARC just controls crossovers and eq.
post #4916 of 4916 Old 07-12-2017, 03:41 AM

another ARC software update

There is a new ARCv2 software update online to be found in the support/download section of AnthemAV.com.
The readme file is dated June 2nd and reads the following:
Quote:
Changes:

v1.7.5612:

1. Fixed subwoofer display for PW Soundbar and STR Integrated.

2. Improved error handling in networking / USB stacks.

3. Minor bug fixes / improvements.
so not worth downloading it in case you finished the ARC setup already, for users having problems getting ARC setup working this one might fix the issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page