Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 3039 Old 02-14-2014, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Anyone heard any updates on units being shipped to the retailers (for 510 or 710)??

Yes. I was just over at StarPower (an authorized dealer) and they told me that they've had shortages since October but they have been getting a trickle of receivers in. The 310's and the 510's are supposed to be available in larger quantities this month and the 710 end of this month early next month. He said if I wanted a 510, it'd be about 7-10 days before I had it in my hands. There were currently 2 orders in front of mine.
I had them call Anthem as well to ask about the video processors just to get a solid picture (not that the internal photos didn't do it, but there was another chip in there under a small heat sink). They're going to call me when their rep gets back to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3039 Old 02-14-2014, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Warren View Post

I was using a Denon AVR-4802 receiver prior to the Anthem and it didn't have any room correction or sub equalizer. I was going to get an MRX-700 a few years ago but decided to wait until they had a model with HDMI pass-thru. So I bought the MRX-710. I have tried turning the Anthem room correction off and on. There isn't a huge difference, but the sound seems more natural with room correction on. It just seems that having to add 8dB in the menu levels and then another 3dB in the remote control levels and then another 4dB in the remote control bass level is an awful lot of boost just to get some bass. It isn't the house shaking bass that you would think you would get after all  that. It just gets it to a level of some bass.

Which listening mode is selected for 2.0 in the setup menu?

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE
Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
post #993 of 3039 Old 02-14-2014, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

What is it that the Anthem Music mode isn't doing right? When I use Anthem Music the overall volume is lower and the rear speakers can barely be heard at all. I have tried all the modes and pretty much just use the "None" mode to get just 2.1 sound (from the front mains and the subwoofer).

post #994 of 3039 Old 02-14-2014, 01:12 PM

Liked: 16
There is very little bass using either of the Anthem Logic modes at the moment. It's unusable.

Anthem are aware and implied it would be fixed in the next firmware release.

Incidentally, it appears that it's almost ready for the prime time as they sent it to a UK user today.

Apparently, it fixes the pops and clicks during codec changes as well.
post #995 of 3039 Old 02-14-2014, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 41
That's great news..I'm more interested in the anthem music mode being fixed

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE
Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
post #996 of 3039 Old 02-14-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

I was using a Denon AVR-4802 receiver prior to the Anthem and it didn't have any room correction or sub equalizer. I was going to get an MRX-700 a few years ago but decided to wait until they had a model with HDMI pass-thru. So I bought the MRX-710. I have tried turning the Anthem room correction off and on. There isn't a huge difference, but the sound seems more natural with room correction on. It just seems that having to add 8dB in the menu levels and then another 3dB in the remote control levels and then another 4dB in the remote control bass level is an awful lot of boost just to get some bass. It isn't the house shaking bass that you would think you would get after all  that. It just gets it to a level of some bass.

It would be very helpful if you posted your arc graphs and targets.
Also, concerning your music sources....Pandora and AM/FM are
Highly compressed, which can cause SOME of the issues you are describing.
post #997 of 3039 Old 02-14-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Anyone heard any updates on units being shipped to the retailers (for 510 or 710)??

Was told within a couple of weeks. Best to check with you local dealer.
post #998 of 3039 Old 02-14-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post

Was told within a couple of weeks. Best to check with you local dealer.

Yes, I am certainly checking with my local dealer, since it would have to come from him. But, it's always good to know what collectively in being said out in the market place....as a check and balance.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #999 of 3039 Old 02-14-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelup View Post

There is very little bass using either of the Anthem Logic modes at the moment. It's unusable.

Anthem are aware and implied it would be fixed in the next firmware release.

Incidentally, it appears that it's almost ready for the prime time as they sent it to a UK user today.

Apparently, it fixes the pops and clicks during codec changes as well.

I'm anxious for the next firmware update to be released to see if it fixes the track clipping issue and the bass issue with Anthem Logic. These two bugs are what's keeping me from trying out an MRX receiver as a potential replacement for my AVM20.

post #1000 of 3039 Old 02-14-2014, 06:44 PM

The input settings are:

Audio Input: Coax 1

Zone 2 Input: Analog 3

Process Analog Audio Input: N/A

Speaker Profile: Config 2

Anthem Room Correction: On

Dolby Volume: Off

Dolby Volume Leveler: 5 (shaded because Dolby Volume is set to off)

Listening Mode for 2.0 Sources: Last used (note my "last choice" is none to just use the front speakers and subwoofer)

Listening Mode for 5.1 Sources: Last used

The target levels in arc are:

Config 1 Speaker Levels

Front Left: 6 dB

Center: 6 dB

Front Right: 5 dB

Surround Right: 6 dB

Surround Left: 5 dB

Subwoofer: 1 dB

Config 2 Speaker Levels

Front Left: 6 dB

Center: 6 dB

Front Right: 5 dB

Surround Right: 6 dB

Surround Left: 5 dB

Subwoofer: 1 dB

Config 1 Targets

Fronts Crossover: 40 Hz

Center Crossover: 40 Hz

Surrounds Crossover: 60 Hz

Subwoofer Crossover: 130 Hz

Subwoofer HP: Auto

Config 2 Targets

Fronts Crossover: 40 Hz

Center Crossover: 40 Hz

Surrounds Crossover: 60 Hz

Subwoofer Crossover: 130 Hz

Subwoofer HP: Auto

I have changed the targets for the front speakers from 40 Hz to 80 Hz and all the other choices up to 160 Hz. I did this along with changing the subwoofer level from +5 dB to +12 dB for config 2 in the level configuration menu. I also raised the subwoofer level and the bass level using the remote buttons to get some kind of bass response. I don't understand why I would have to raise all these setting to try and get just the flat response I used to get with my old Denon AVR-4802 receiver.

post #1001 of 3039 Old 02-14-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

It would be very helpful if you posted your arc graphs and targets.
Also, concerning your music sources....Pandora and AM/FM are
Highly compressed, which can cause SOME of the issues you are describing.

I have posted the arc graphs in another post. it should be in the last few on this forum. Sorry I didn't link to your quote. I do realize that they are compressed but I am not getting anywhere near the bass response that I used to get with my old receiver. I have tried numerous CD's and they have poor bass as well whether I play them from a Pioneer Elite CD player using an optical input to the Anthem or the Blu-ray player.

post #1002 of 3039 Old 02-14-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonT35 View Post

Which listening mode is selected for 2.0 in the setup menu?

I have "Last used" which is set to "none" to get stereo 2.1

post #1003 of 3039 Old 02-15-2014, 12:58 AM

Is it possible you are just so used to hearing it 'wrong' that it seems odd now you have a correctly calibrated system?

Those huge adjustments you are making will be completely ruining the results of ARC.

There has to be something wrong somewhere. Any chance one of your speakers is connected out of phase perhaps?
post #1004 of 3039 Old 02-15-2014, 04:14 AM

Quote:

I have posted the arc graphs in another post. it should be in the last few on this forum. Sorry I didn't link to your quote. I do realize that they are compressed but I am not getting anywhere near the bass response that I used to get with my old receiver. I have tried numerous CD's and they have poor bass as well whether I play them from a Pioneer Elite CD player using an optical input to the Anthem or the Blu-ray player.

What is (are) your room gain settings?
post #1005 of 3039 Old 02-15-2014, 05:05 AM

Liked: 10

Hi everybody...I need a help

Yesterday I try to watch a movies (with MPC-HC and Madvr) with audio : dts-hd hra 48.000Hz 5.1 1536kb/s and I couldn't have any audio. Is the limitation of the Anthem or I'm doing something wrong?

Thank you.

Edit: I don't have any problem with dts-hd MA.

post #1006 of 3039 Old 02-15-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:

Is it possible you are just so used to hearing it 'wrong' that it seems odd now you have a correctly calibrated system?

Those huge adjustments you are making will be completely ruining the results of ARC.

There has to be something wrong somewhere. Any chance one of your speakers is connected out of phase perhaps?

Now don't get me wrong here, I'm not upset with anyone helping me here. I have been listening to it "right" for many years now and am aware of what "right" is. I agree that these adjustments would ruin what ARC was meant to do and that frustrates me to no end. There has to be something wrong somewhere and that is what I'm trying to figure out. I contacted Anthem by e-mail and I got no where with them. Frustrating to say the least. All I want is for it to sound like any good receiver does when you shop at any quality audio store. (I'm not talking Best Buy here.) The speakers are all wired correctly with high quality speaker cables that are all color coded so you really can't mess it up, so they are all in phase. I am very aware of the effects of out of phase. I have a test CD that proves phasing as well. The front speakers are wired in bi-amp mode, two pairs of wire to each front speaker that are connected to 2 amplifiers for each front speaker, with the bridging straps on the speakers removed. The MRX-710 is set up for Bi-amp mode in the menu system as well as in the ARC program.

Has anyone used the quick measure function of ARC? I don't have an SPL meter and the only thing I can think of that could be wrong is that ARC isn't actually applying the changes. In my ARC plots ARC is boosting the frequencies from 60 Hz to 300 Hz on the right speaker and from 90 Hz to 250 Hz on the left speaker quite a bit, yet when I switch room correction off and on there isn't a big difference, albeit that is sounds more natural with room correction on. I was wondering if the quick measurement in ARC could be run with room correction off and then run again with room correction on to see the difference and to prove if the room correction is actually working. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

post #1007 of 3039 Old 02-15-2014, 07:05 AM

I'm fairly sure someone else reported a similar issue when bi-amping. I'm out and about at the moment so it's difficult to search for it.

Can I suggest that you undo all the bi-amping for now just as an experiment. It would be good to eliminate that issue.
post #1008 of 3039 Old 02-15-2014, 07:09 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabriziorusso View Post

Hi everybody...I need a help

Yesterday I try to watch a movies (with MPC-HC and Madvr) with audio : dts-hd hra 48.000Hz 5.1 1536kb/s and I couldn't have any audio. Is the limitation of the Anthem or I'm doing something wrong?

Thank you.

Edit: I don't have any problem with dts-hd MA.

same for me:
dts-hd hra, played by XBMC recognized no signal in audio passthrough but if i set the XBMC to Directsound audio i get Multi PCM 3/4 !!

if you want to test, there is the French audio tracks on following movies with this codec: (The Avenger) (Real Steel) (Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides)

with my old MRX500 everything was ok on passthrough!

after the broken Anthem Logic music , here the broken dts-hd hra !!
post #1009 of 3039 Old 02-15-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobAd View Post

What is (are) your room gain settings?

The gains are :

Config1

Front left 6

Center 6

Front right 5

Surround right 6

Surround left 5

Subwoofer 5

Config 2 ( which I am using for 2 channel sources)

Front left 6

Center 6

Front right 5

Surround right 6

Surround left 5

Subwoofer 12 ( the most I can get)

As you can see, in config 2 the subwoofer is up 8 dB more than config 1. I also use the Level and Bass buttons on the remote to add 3 dB more to the subwoofer and 4 dB to the Bass for 2 channel sources. I don't understand why I have to add basically 15dB more to get any kind of Bass which is unnatural because it is mostly boosted below the 80 to 160 Hz range, depending on how I have it set in the bass management menu. I'm not talking rock concert bass here or room shaking bass. Steely Dan and the like wouldn't want it that way and neither do I. I am so frustrated.

post #1010 of 3039 Old 02-15-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:

I'm fairly sure someone else reported a similar issue when bi-amping. I'm out and about at the moment so it's difficult to search for it.

Can I suggest that you undo all the bi-amping for now just as an experiment. It would be good to eliminate that issue.

Thanks for the idea. I will try that as soon as I get a chance. I will have to search to see if I can find the post you are talking about. Was it in this forum? If you happen to find it please post it again.

post #1011 of 3039 Old 02-15-2014, 07:27 AM

Honestly can't remember. It was either here or on AVForums. I'll have a look too later.
post #1012 of 3039 Old 02-15-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:

Now don't get me wrong here, I'm not upset with anyone helping me here. I have been listening to it "right" for many years now and am aware of what "right" is. I agree that these adjustments would ruin what ARC was meant to do and that frustrates me to no end. There has to be something wrong somewhere and that is what I'm trying to figure out. I contacted Anthem by e-mail and I got no where with them. Frustrating to say the least. All I want is for it to sound like any good receiver does when you shop at any quality audio store. (I'm not talking Best Buy here.) The speakers are all wired correctly with high quality speaker cables that are all color coded so you really can't mess it up, so they are all in phase. I am very aware of the effects of out of phase. I have a test CD that proves phasing as well. The front speakers are wired in bi-amp mode, two pairs of wire to each front speaker that are connected to 2 amplifiers for each front speaker, with the bridging straps on the speakers removed. The MRX-710 is set up for Bi-amp mode in the menu system as well as in the ARC program.

Has anyone used the quick measure function of ARC? I don't have an SPL meter and the only thing I can think of that could be wrong is that ARC isn't actually applying the changes. In my ARC plots ARC is boosting the frequencies from 60 Hz to 300 Hz on the right speaker and from 90 Hz to 250 Hz on the left speaker quite a bit, yet when I switch room correction off and on there isn't a big difference, albeit that is sounds more natural with room correction on. I was wondering if the quick measurement in ARC could be run with room correction off and then run again with room correction on to see the difference and to prove if the room correction is actually working. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Can you confirm with an SPL meter that the sub level at the LP is being set the same as the other speakers (typically this would be 75db)?

post #1013 of 3039 Old 02-15-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Can you confirm with an SPL meter that the sub level at the LP is being set the same as the other speakers (typically this would be 75db)?

I don't have an SPL meter.  How much does an SPL meter cost and where do you get one? I can look on Amazon, what quality do you recommend? Radio Shack or do I have to go better? Any ideas? Can this be done using the quick measure feature built into ARC, rather than to buy one?

post #1014 of 3039 Old 02-15-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

I don't have an SPL meter.  How much does an SPL meter cost and where do you get one? I can look on Amazon, what quality do you recommend? Radio Shack or do I have to go better? Any ideas? Can this be done using the quick measure feature built into ARC, rather than to buy one?

Just about everyone uses a Radio Shack SPL Meter
post #1015 of 3039 Old 02-15-2014, 08:48 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:

Gary, I believe you do have a probem. Your levels are way out of whack. Why should every speaker be boosted? They should only be for equalisation. Some in the --ve and others in the +ve.

There is something wrong in your measurement. The ARC measurements are quite sensitive. Slight changes in environment can yield radical results. I ran ARC a second time after a power amp and sub upgrade. I ran it twice for 2 profiles (2nd one being 2.1, unnecessary I know), and despite using similiar positions, the sub levels and room gain settings are different.

The measurement can be affected by things like background noise, such as fridge or other appliance. Looking at the graphs for your fronts, its liek flat all the way down to the subsonics. Something isn't right here.

I was combing through some of the threads regarding setups, and one of the problems identified is wall reflection from speakers placed too close to the backwall. The ARC mic will read that extra bass gain and dampen down the bass response, all the way to LFE signals. Looking at your graphs, this might be the case. Its not a case of low sub volume, its that little signal is sent to the sub and bass drivers.

You have great floorstanders, but they still roll off around 45Hz. That's just how floorstanders are. They have no right to be flat all the way.

And forget about room gain. Its an unnatural "boom" added to the curve. Increasing it will only lead to unnatural bass rolloff. Speaking from my own experience, when I had that initial run with 2 configs, sub level was -6.75 and room gain 3.25, config 2 -6.25, rg 2.2. Go figure. Redone it this time, and as I have a small room, I clustered the measurements as close to the minimum required 2 feet. Guess what, sub level is -5.5, rg 2.5. I get a smoother, stronger bass. Can finally run in my KK sub properly!

So I believe you, there is something wrong with your ARC setup. Bear in mind ARC is only as good as the measurement, and in science, you never measure anything just once.

Why don't you post your raw ARC file here and we can look at it in more detail?

post #1016 of 3039 Old 02-15-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Do you have an ipad? Is the mic in good shape? You can download Audio Tools from Studio Six. I tested it against my Radio Shack meter and it read very similar spl. If you buy there $20 or so package you get an RTA graph included in it too. You can play pink noise and get an idea of how your frequency chart looks like to maybe help pinpoint your issue.

Also like another poster suggested I would try without the bi-amping and compare the sound.
post #1017 of 3039 Old 02-15-2014, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokyc View Post

Why should every speaker be boosted?

The measurement can be affected by things like background noise, such as fridge or other appliance.

It's so they all calibrate to 75 dB. His graphs are clearly showing that level is already set to 75 dB.

ARC distinguishes between sweeps and constant background noise. When it can't due to noise being excessive, a popup message says so.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #1018 of 3039 Old 02-15-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

A new amp and a SUBWOOFER. Really!!!

When I watch a movie I use the config 1 in Anthem and use an HDMI for the video and the sound is great, house shaking. The only way I can get bass for stereo sources (AM, FM, CD,and Pandora) is to set those sources to use  config 2.

With this additional info I'd say click auto-detect in targets to reset the settings, raise all cutoffs to 80 Hz if they are lower than that, and try listening to the result for a while without use of AnthemLogic, at least until the next software release.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #1019 of 3039 Old 02-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therien View Post

Any word on the remote app?

The Android beta is running smoothly and tech support can provide it upon request. It's easy to install - just copy the .apk file to the phone in a folder you'll remember, locate it, and run it. Of course, the MRX must be on the same network, and running v1.1.4 or later.

Obtaining the iOS beta is not so easy because a special signup process is involved - better to get it when it appears on the iTunes store. I don't know when that will be, and sorry for the delay. The app is getting its last few finishing touches but then it has to go through Apple certification.

post #1020 of 3039 Old 02-15-2014, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I also use the Level and Bass buttons on the remote to add 3 dB more to the subwoofer and 4 dB to the Bass for 2 channel sources.

Reset these too. You can do so in one shot by selecting "Reset on-the-fly settings" in the last setup menu.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page