Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1081 of 3043 Old 02-19-2014, 04:11 PM
Member
 
lokyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33

2ndrun90hztestconfig2flat.zip 175k .zip file

know what dude, really cannot explain. Must be some software bug. I suggest you report this to Anthem and Nick by PM. He says he doen not check the forums often enough to be responsive.

 

Meanwhile, 2 other suggesttions. Try loading my ARC and see how that goes. Also do a auto measurement with 2 speaker configs. Means you have to run ARC twice, but no harm trying.

Attached Files
File Type: zip 2ndrun90hztestconfig2flat.zip (175.1 KB, 7 views)
lokyc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1082 of 3043 Old 02-19-2014, 04:32 PM
Senior Member
 
JasonT35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokyc View Post

2ndrun90hztestconfig2flat.zip 175k .zip file
know what dude, really cannot explain. Must be some software bug. I suggest you report this to Anthem and Nick by PM. He says he doen not check the forums often enough to be responsive.

Meanwhile, 2 other suggesttions. Try loading my ARC and see how that goes. Also do a auto measurement with 2 speaker configs. Means you have to run ARC twice, but no harm trying.

Ok I looked at your arc file and config 2 is exactly the way I set mine. So when you played a 2.0 pcm source through an input with config 2 selected and arc engaged, you did not get any sound coming from your sub at all? I uploaded yours and I have a lot of sound going to the subwoofer. Checked the menu in the receiver and the subwoofer is set to no speaker. No idea what is going on here.

Also one other thing I noticed before is that if you click on autodetect, for some reason the software still leaves full range selected for the fronts. It should revert back to the initial calc by ARC.

I guess I'm going to just try two separate runs of measurements (one for 4.1 and one for 2.0 and hopefully that will work.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE
Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
JasonT35 is offline  
post #1083 of 3043 Old 02-19-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Just got a 510 today to try as a replacement SSP from my Denon 4520 to try along with my P5 amp. Hoping from all I've read re the quality of the Anthem range, I will be impressed. The ARC looks to be a nice step up in RC over Audyssey. I am running this setup into a Revel Studio Ultima II based system I traded up to mid last year. I'd have liked to compare SSPs at the next level like the MX151 or the might Datasat if not for their earth-shattering price tags. Hopefully I'll be able to add to the positive feedback I've already read here about the MR-x10 range performance smile.gif
philg5140 likes this.

OzHDHT is offline  
post #1084 of 3043 Old 02-19-2014, 04:37 PM
Member
 
lokyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33

I think the autodetect is just to check which speakers are connected, not the frequency response.

 

I would rerun measurements with 2 speaker configs.

 

ps. yes, mt config 2 is the same. may be a bug on your AVR's firmware. I presume you have the latest.

lokyc is offline  
post #1085 of 3043 Old 02-19-2014, 04:48 PM
Senior Member
 
JasonT35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Yes I have the latest firmware I believe

Mcu 1.1.4
Mcu iap 0.4.0
HDMI 0.2.1
Dsp 0.2.2

Thanks again for taking time to check this out

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE
Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
JasonT35 is offline  
post #1086 of 3043 Old 02-19-2014, 04:59 PM
Member
 
BobAd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonT35 View Post

Yes I have the latest firmware.

Thanks again for taking time to check this out

A little more direct this time - Try doing a "master" reset ( section 3.11 in your manual) if you have not already, and, if that doesn't work, try a reinstall of your firmware ( after a master reset). You will have to set your unit up again from scratch, but this should hopefully clear any logic glitches in the unit itself. Good luck! smile.gif
JasonT35 likes this.
BobAd is offline  
post #1087 of 3043 Old 02-19-2014, 06:22 PM
Member
 
Red Devil 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Laval, Qc Canada
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobAd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonT35 View Post

Yes I have the latest firmware.

Thanks again for taking time to check this out

A little more direct this time - Try doing a "master" reset ( section 3.11 in your manual) if you have not already, and, if that doesn't work, try a reinstall of your firmware ( after a master reset). You will have to set your unit up again from scratch, but this should hopefully clear any logic glitches in the unit itself. Good luck! smile.gif
+1

Red Devil 24 is offline  
post #1088 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 01:07 AM
Member
 
Emetw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabriziorusso View Post

Can anybody experienced the strange noise coming from the AVR? Can be fluctuation on the Voltage? Or is a problem of the power in the AVR?

It sounds like you need a line/power conditioner or voltage stabilizer. Something like APC, Belkin or Panamax. A surge protector won't help with fluctuating voltage which could possibly damage your receiver.

Anthem MRX-500 - Vincent SAV-P200 - RAW Acoustics Lambda Plus arrays, Apex C II center - HT4 tower surrounds - CSS WR.30 sides - Rythmik FV15HP - Vizio XVT553SV - Xbox One - Xbox 360 - WD Live TV - QNAP TS212 NAS w/WD Red drives - APC H15BLK
Emetw is offline  
post #1089 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I just setup my MRX-510 tonight. It was extremely simple vs my denon 4520. Laptop ARC worked really nicely, a little like a more basic version of Dirac Live in some ways. The one question I need addressed and can't seem to find in a quick search of the thread is(apols if this has been done to death already), coming from the Denon side where it's cut and dried 'batpig gospel" to set all crossover freqs to 80Hz thx standard regardless of speaker size, I'm not sure what the view is here regarding that with ARC? I chose to run ARC with auto detect and it chose 40hz for my L+R's, center 80Hz , surrounds 50Hz. Listening so far suggests it sounds very well balanced in my Stereo only ARC config 2 setup whilst I'm doing comparatives to check the sound vs the Denon with the same Flac and DSD tracks. I'm about to do some extended viewing of some shows shortly to see how the surround performance is. Initial thoughts though echo the very positive feedback on the fullness of the sound of the MRX over the 4520. The midrange def seems to have returned to my Revels and they sound much more like they should for speakers of their calibre. So far so good smile.gif
JasonT35 likes this.

OzHDHT is offline  
post #1090 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 03:26 AM
Senior Member
 
JasonT35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 41
ARC calculates my front speaker cutoffs at 50 hz . I change those to 80 and recalculate. I use this config for movie watching. The other config I use for 2.0 PCM music and I use what arc calculated, although recently I've been fooling around with 2.0 full range arc calcs without a sub and arc calcs with 2.1 setup for music.

One other thing I have been fooling around with is the max EQ setting. I have been using 300 hz.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE
Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
JasonT35 is offline  
post #1091 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 03:56 AM
Member
 
lokyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33

This is the limitation of the ARC measurement I posted earlier. It detects inroom response of the test tone, and thinks your speaker will reach lower than its designed to. Its ok playing the test tone, but when playing sound, particularly complex HT material, your speakers will quickly hit its design distortion limits and the sound will be rubbish, possibly8 affecting the higher frequencies as well. Not to say it will fatigue the AVR if used as a single box.

 

As a starting guide, set it to the F3 point according to manufacturers specs. And/or look at the measurement curve. It wouldn't roll off smoothly, but you have to guesstimate where the natural roll-off of your speaker is and when the inroom response starts to mess things up. Set you crossovers accordingly. Will be higher than you think. But it is recommended not to go above 100Hz as that's when sound start to become localised.

 

Anthem has one of the best bass management in the business so you should have good integration regardless.

4AlexF likes this.
lokyc is offline  
post #1092 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 04:52 AM
Member
 
texmex55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am currently waiting for my 710 to arrive. I just had on question that maybe very simple to answer. When running arc and you set up the multiple mic locations, does the program state where to place the mic or does the user select the locations? Just wondering as I have a funny shaped room and was thinking if I pick a bad seat in the room it will throw off the arc.
texmex55 is offline  
post #1093 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 05:01 AM
Senior Member
 
JasonT35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Yes the program gives you a diagram for mic placement.
sls3000 likes this.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE
Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
JasonT35 is offline  
post #1094 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 05:42 AM
Member
 
sneill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil 24 View Post


My bad it's in the menu but not there when you cycle through the mode.


Hi,

So is Anthem Logic now working ok on the Beta firmware and producing bass?

I used Anthem Logic mode on my old MRX300 when watching 2.0 material via cable box and would like to use on my MRX510. I’m using Neo: 6 at the moment and it’s good but I recall preferring Anthem logic when I compared on my MRX300. (Expecting/presuming the same on the MRX510 once it’s back working.)
sneill is offline  
post #1095 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 06:11 AM
Member
 
Red Devil 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Laval, Qc Canada
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneill View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil 24 View Post


My bad it's in the menu but not there when you cycle through the mode.


Hi,

So is Anthem Logic now working ok on the Beta firmware and producing bass?

I used Anthem Logic mode on my old MRX300 when watching 2.0 material via cable box and would like to use on my MRX510. I’m using Neo: 6 at the moment and it’s good but I recall preferring Anthem logic when I compared on my MRX300. (Expecting/presuming the same on the MRX510 once it’s back working.)
It's not there at all when you cycle through the mode. So no anthem logic for now
sneill likes this.

Red Devil 24 is offline  
post #1096 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 17,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonT35 View Post

ARC calculates my front speaker cutoffs at 50 hz . I change those to 80 and recalculate. I use this config for movie watching. The other config I use for 2.0 PCM music and I use what arc calculated, although recently I've been fooling around with 2.0 full range arc calcs without a sub and arc calcs with 2.1 setup for music.

One other thing I have been fooling around with is the max EQ setting. I have been using 300 hz.

I making sure I understand what you are saying (before my 510 arrives)....if you manually adjust the ARC cutoffs after the calibration, do you have to go back and recalibrate...is that what you mean by "recalculate"?

"Retired" AVS Moderator
rboster is online now  
post #1097 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 07:05 AM
Senior Member
 
JasonT35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

I making sure I understand what you are saying (before my 510 arrives)....if you manually adjust the ARC cutoffs after the calibration, do you have to go back and recalibrate...is that what you mean by "recalculate"?

After you run arc, the program will calculate the cutoffs. You can go in the targets menu and see. At that point you can hit calculate and arc will produce the corrected curve based on its recommended cutoffs. You then upload to the Anthem.

After reviewing the info in the targets menu, you can tweak stuff. One of them being the cutoffs. You can change them to 80 hz if you like. After you do that, you hit the calculate button and arc produces the graphs. Then you can upload that.

Once I'm thru taking measurements, I save the arc file. whether I use What arc recommends or my own tweaks, I save a new file and upload. This way I can always pull up the original arc file if I wanna make tweaks in the future. Although there is an auto detect button you can click on if you want to revert back to what arc originally produced for you
4AlexF likes this.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE
Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
JasonT35 is offline  
post #1098 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 17,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Jason, thanks for a very complete answer. I appreciate the information.

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
rboster is online now  
post #1099 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil 24 View Post

It's not there at all when you cycle through the mode. So no anthem logic for now

frown.gif

Saturn94 is offline  
post #1100 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
Scout's staff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi,

I'm contemplating a move to the 710 and was curious to see if the HDMI in/out had pass through when the device is off? Currently I connect cable video directly to the TV via component video (that is all the current DVR has) and was looking to consolidate to one HDMI that I currently run from the AVR to the TV for picture for all of my other AVR connections (blu ray, ATV, etc.). There are many times we just use the TV speakers and not the HT system for ease of use - WAF

Thanks for your help

Dan

My set up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scout's staff is offline  
post #1101 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Member
 
lokyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33

Yes, there is HDMI passthrough

lokyc is offline  
post #1102 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Scout's staff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thank you very much - I appreciate it:)

Dan

My set up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scout's staff is offline  
post #1103 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 03:25 PM
Member
 
Gary Warren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokyc View Post
 

 

Gary, I believe you do have a probem. Your levels are way out of whack. Why should every speaker be boosted? They should only be for equalisation. Some in the --ve and others in the +ve.

 

There is something wrong in your measurement. The ARC measurements are quite sensitive. Slight changes in environment can yield radical results. I ran ARC a second time after a power amp and sub upgrade. I ran it twice for 2 profiles (2nd one being 2.1, unnecessary I know), and despite using similiar positions, the sub levels and room gain settings are different.

 

The measurement can be affected by things like background noise, such as fridge or other appliance. Looking at the graphs for your fronts, its liek flat all the way down to the subsonics. Something isn't right here.

 

I was combing through some of the threads regarding setups, and one of the problems identified is wall reflection from speakers placed too close to the backwall. The ARC mic will read that extra bass gain and dampen down the bass response, all the way to LFE signals. Looking at your graphs, this might be the case. Its not a case of low sub volume, its that little signal is sent to the sub and bass drivers.

 

You have great floorstanders, but they still roll off around 45Hz. That's just how floorstanders are. They have no right to be flat all the way.

 

And forget about room gain. Its an unnatural "boom" added to the curve. Increasing it will only lead to unnatural bass rolloff. Speaking from my own experience, when I had that initial run with 2 configs, sub level was -6.75 and room gain 3.25, config 2 -6.25, rg 2.2. Go figure. Redone it this time, and as I have a small room, I clustered the measurements as close to the minimum required 2 feet. Guess what, sub level is -5.5, rg 2.5. I get a smoother, stronger bass. Can finally run in my KK sub properly!

 

So I believe you, there is something wrong with your ARC setup. Bear in mind ARC is only as good as the measurement, and in science, you never measure anything just once.

 

Why don't you post your raw ARC file here and we can look at it in more detail?


Thanks to all of you for your input. I haven't answered in a while because I have basically tried everything and get the same result with each setup. I reset the MRX-710 to factory defaults and rebuilt the inputs. I changed from bi-amp to bi-wire and reran ARC. MRX-710 sounds the same. I changed back to Bi-amp with the "Fronts speaker" outputs on the MRX wired to the low frequency speaker terminals and the "Rear amps" wired to the high frequency speaker terminals and ran ARC. Same results. I switched the speaker wires so the "Front speaker" amps are wired to the high frequency speaker terminals and the "Rear amps" are wired to the low frequency speaker terminals' Once again the same results. I reran ARC again and nothing really changed. My front speakers are 14 inches from the back of the speaker to the wall behind them. Once again I am running stereo sources with the config 2 setup and changing the front cross overs from 40 Hz to 80 Hz in the bass management menu and then boosting the subwoofer levels 7 more dB in the Level Calibration menu. Then when I listen to stereo sources I add 4 dB of Bass using the remote Bass button and 3 dB to the subwoofer using the level button on the remote.  I have my ARC plots for my fronts and sub at the beginning of this post. My MRX-710 sounds great when I watch a movie. I don't get it. I really don't want to return it, but I'm thinking it may be my only choice. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Gary Warren is offline  
post #1104 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokyc View Post

This is the limitation of the ARC measurement I posted earlier. It detects inroom response of the test tone, and thinks your speaker will reach lower than its designed to. Its ok playing the test tone, but when playing sound, particularly complex HT material, your speakers will quickly hit its design distortion limits and the sound will be rubbish, possibly8 affecting the higher frequencies as well. Not to say it will fatigue the AVR if used as a single box.

As a starting guide, set it to the F3 point according to manufacturers specs. And/or look at the measurement curve. It wouldn't roll off smoothly, but you have to guesstimate where the natural roll-off of your speaker is and when the inroom response starts to mess things up. Set you crossovers accordingly. Will be higher than you think. But it is recommended not to go above 100Hz as that's when sound start to become localised.

Anthem has one of the best bass management in the business so you should have good integration regardless.

Sensible advice, quite similar to the logic used to manually apply crossovers points with other brands of SSP's. In looking at this situ more carefully and really examining the bass extension of the particular speakers in say my own setup, 40Hz capability is not a furphy or test tone anomaly with them in particular. Which in all honesty is something I would expect from a speaker of the caliber of the Revel Studio Ultima II, which includes a bottom firing bass port. Evidencing a couple of review quotes from a few years back on my front speakers, they very much echo this sentiment. The other factor this crossover debate is quality of the bass reproduction vs say allocating frequencies below 80Hz to the subwoofer. Here's a couple of those excerpts on the Revels:

"The Revels are rated 32Hz-42kHz. I did not measure their low frequency extension in my room yet but I assume it actually gets lower than the 32Hz judged by Organ Symphony #6 from Recital CD of Marcel Dupre (Mercury Living Presence, 434 311-2) that was presented with full force including the lowest registers of the organ’s pipes. Being back to the New York Reunion the Carter’s bass is impactful, clear, well-controlled and easy to follow.

"I can't fathom how Revel has managed this, but this is the only speaker, the original Studio and the big B&Ws , included, to have such excellent bottom-end extension and definition—except for the JL Audio Fathom f113 subwoofer. This observation set the tone for the rest of my assessments."


Last night after doing about half an hour of ARC config 2 (2.1) Stereo listening I viewed some TV material with my ARC config 1 (5.1) surround. I can't attest during the viewing of an episode of House of Cards season 2, to have heard much in the way of anything speaker taxing, however I must say, much like my music listening session that proceeded, the listening experience was far improved on the Denon 4520. Dialogue was was far fuller sounding and generally more engaging. Surrounds enveloped very nicely as well. Generally a much more impressive and well balanced sound then what I'd had previously. Tonight I'll aim to put the MRX through it's paces with some actual movie content and see how it all sounds. At first blush, I'm very impressed with the price performance level of this unit. It somewhat amazes me some of the comments I see where people refer to the Anthem receivers as kind of expensive. Coming from systems like Meridian years ago, that were purely SSP's and some of the first to do real time room analysis and correction, the performance of these Anthem receivers is quite phenomenal. I only wonder what Anthem could do with a unit that say was a pre/pro that cost say between $2500-$3000. Something to close the gap on even the AVM 50v perhaps. Mind you, apart from perhaps more video processing/input flexibility, I'm really intrigued to know with the advent of the newer MRX's, as whether anyone would move to the AVM 50v any more?

"

OzHDHT is offline  
post #1105 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 03:46 PM
Member
 
lokyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33

Gary, your last post was some time ago. Its easier if you can post your equipment list like a signature for your post and a quick synopsis of what your problem is. Its not easy to trawl through yooud old posts.

 

There are things like room gain and also the curve structure which will be useful to see from your raw arc file.

 

After delving into the ARC bit further, and learning things from various people along the way, here's what the measurements look like to me.

 

I think Anthem is right, something ain't right about your sub. The red curve struggles to hit reference level. Was it a James sub you're using? What levels have you set it to when doing the measurements? Why is it struggling to hit reference levels of 75db. Is your microphone positioned correctly? Pointing straight up? Is it too close to a wall or something? Have you tried clustering the measurements around the MLP? ARC is only as good as the measurements.

 

As for your mains, there is a dip around the 100Hz mark and a spike below. Left and right at different frequencies too. This suggest some sort of inroom response interefering. Either that or your mic is off.

 

But ARC wouldn't know that. It would still trim things down.

 

This has nothing to do with your speaker connections. the frequency response from the ARC measurements do not indicate the LFs are not being driven. But monoamping is worth trying in case there's bug in stereo mode.

lokyc is offline  
post #1106 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 03:46 PM
Member
 
Red Devil 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Laval, Qc Canada
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This is not normal at all it you need to add that much boost for 2ch but not for movies. You should ask for a replacement from your dealer.

Red Devil 24 is offline  
post #1107 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
Shrike645's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cambridge, Ont
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil 24 View Post

This is not normal at all it you need to add that much boost for 2ch but not for movies. You should ask for a replacement from your dealer.

He shouldn't be changing the crossovers in the menu as this will break the ARC solution. All changes, even though I don't recommend making them, should be done in the target window. then recalculate and upload. ARC has to know about the crossover setting to calculate a solution. The graphs won't tell us much as you've changed them in the menu.
Shrike645 is offline  
post #1108 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Member
 
lokyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post


Sensible advice, quite similar to the logic used to manually apply crossovers points with other brands of SSP's. In looking at this situ more carefully and really examining the bass extension of the particular speakers in say my own setup, 40Hz capability is not a furphy or test tone anomaly with them in particular. Which in all honesty is something I would expect from a speaker of the caliber of the Revel Studio Ultima II, which includes a bottom firing bass port. Evidencing a couple of review quotes from a few years back on my front speakers, they very much echo this sentiment. The other factor this crossover debate is quality of the bass reproduction vs say allocating frequencies below 80Hz to the subwoofer. Here's a couple of those excerpts on the Revels:

"The Revels are rated 32Hz-42kHz. I did not measure their low frequency extension in my room yet but I assume it actually gets lower than the 32Hz judged by Organ Symphony #6 from Recital CD of Marcel Dupre (Mercury Living Presence, 434 311-2) that was presented with full force including the lowest registers of the organ’s pipes. Being back to the New York Reunion the Carter’s bass is impactful, clear, well-controlled and easy to follow.

"I can't fathom how Revel has managed this, but this is the only speaker, the original Studio and the big B&Ws , included, to have such excellent bottom-end extension and definition—except for the JL Audio Fathom f113 subwoofer. This observation set the tone for the rest of my assessments."


Last night after doing about half an hour of ARC config 2 (2.1) Stereo listening I viewed some TV material with my ARC config 1 (5.1) surround. I can't attest during the viewing of an episode of House of Cards season 2, to have heard much in the way of anything speaker taxing, however I must say, much like my music listening session that proceeded, the listening experience was far improved on the Denon 4520. Dialogue was was far fuller sounding and generally more engaging. Surrounds enveloped very nicely as well. Generally a much more impressive and well balanced sound then what I'd had previously. Tonight I'll aim to put the MRX through it's paces with some actual movie content and see how it all sounds. At first blush, I'm very impressed with the price performance level of this unit. It somewhat amazes me some of the comments I see where people refer to the Anthem receivers as kind of expensive. Coming from systems like Meridian years ago, that were purely SSP's and some of the first to do real time room analysis and correction, the performance of these Anthem receivers is quite phenomenal. I only wonder what Anthem could do with a unit that say was a pre/pro that cost say between $2500-$3000. Something to close the gap on even the AVM 50v perhaps. Mind you, apart from perhaps more video processing/input flexibility, I'm really intrigued to know with the advent of the newer MRX's, as whether anyone would move to the AVM 50v any more?

"

 

I suppose its all about component matching, and the sort of bass you want produced. Low musical notes are one thing. Ported bass can provide that extra weight to a drum or bass guitar. But the source of the bass energy is still the bass driver. In complex HT material, with explosion, soundtrack and other effects running, extension from ported bass cannot reveal that detail. the driver will also quickly reach its breakup point.

 

Well designed enclosed subwoofers with dedicated, 1kw rated amps, well integrated an bass managed are possibly the better answer. And no mass market product comes close to the ARC in this regard.

 

Which is why I think we have reached a turning point, where HT setups can close the gap to dedicated stereo setups. If one can afford it, there is increasingly less reason to run separate systems. I read somewhere that there's a school of thought in What-Hifi magazine that is favouring 2.1 vs 2.0 setups for stereo. And of course, there is the M&K/Ken Kreisal sub-sat concept which is used in may award winning movie studios for their soundtracks.

 

ARC1M is a lot closer to the pro level D2V ARC by virtue of having more filter banks. the correction therefore has higher resolution.

 

We had this discussion in AV Forums about how that leaves the pro level processors. My personal take is that they will move those to an even higher end. ARC is not the only trick in the book. Myabe it'll be things like Dolby Atmos etc. the pre/pros also have better DACs for noise filtration. Balanced design for quiter, cleaner amplification. So many other things which are the basics of fidelity to be implemented and much more.

 

Don't forget, there is also the Dirac solution which some say is a better EQ than ARC. And when it comes the the MRX, its not all about ARC. It is a good preamp in its own right. And good surround steering. It also has the best bass management in the business. Turn of ARC and listen. The bass rolloff is still really good. ARC simply smooths the inroom response.

 

So the MRX is great becase it does the basics well. And it really only needs 7.1 or even 5.1. Because at this market segment, we're much better off getting 5.1 or 7.1 good quality speakers, maybe a power amp, and it will beat multiple so-so speakers, not as well steered and managed.

Red Devil 24 likes this.
lokyc is offline  
post #1109 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Member
 
lokyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post


He shouldn't be changing the crossovers in the menu as this will break the ARC solution. All changes, even though I don't recommend making them, should be done in the target window. then recalculate and upload. ARC has to know about the crossover setting to calculate a solution. The graphs won't tell us much as you've changed them in the menu.


A few weeks ago, I would have agreed with you. But you must understand, the ARC and its measurements are a tool, with limitations.

 

The autosetup is good. But it is not perfect. You can improve it, and you can improve it with a few easy tweaks and basic understanding of sound and bass management.

 

I can say with confidence the curves of Gary are off because of inroom response. Why? For one thing, the left and right is different. Also, good speakers like the Studio 100 should have a reasonably flat response before rolling off at the lower frequencies. What's all this wild swinging about?

 

ARC is not bass management. ARC simply tries to achieve a flat response. The autosetup tries to work out what the crossovers should be. You can change it and recalculate, the ARC will still be implemented.

 

In fact, you should think about how to help ARC. In the manual, also i think mentioned by Nick, you should try to improve the curves with speaker and furniture positions. The less the amount of correction ARC has to do, the better the correction.

 

Shifting the crossover higher means ARC has an easier time smoothening out the mains. It only has to worry about a single source, the sub's response. the overall effect should be better as there will be less room effects as the source of sound is mainly from one speaker, the sub, rather than 2 mains.

4AlexF likes this.
lokyc is offline  
post #1110 of 3043 Old 02-20-2014, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Shrike645's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cambridge, Ont
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokyc View Post


A few weeks ago, I would have agreed with you. But you must understand, the ARC and its measurements are a tool, with limitations.

The autosetup is good. But it is not perfect. You can improve it, and you can improve it with a few easy tweaks and basic understanding of sound and bass management.

I can say with confidence the curves of Gary are off because of inroom response. Why? For one thing, the left and right is different. Also, good speakers like the Studio 100 should have a reasonably flat response before rolling off at the lower frequencies. What's all this wild swinging about?

ARC is not bass management. ARC simply tries to achieve a flat response. The autosetup tries to work out what the crossovers should be. You can change it and recalculate, the ARC will still be implemented.

In fact, you should think about how to help ARC. In the manual, also i think mentioned by Nick, you should try to improve the curves with speaker and furniture positions. The less the amount of correction ARC has to do, the better the correction.

Shifting the crossover higher means ARC has an easier time smoothening out the mains. It only has to worry about a single source, the sub's response. the overall effect should be better as there will be less room effects as the source of sound is mainly from one speaker, the sub, rather than 2 mains.

I agree, I wouldn't say never, but most times not. Positioning speakers is not changing ARC. Quick Measure is a very useful tool to help this and I agree speaker position is important to ARC and should be done. For people who do want to change crossovers or any other ARC setting it I would leave one of the configs as per ARC and change the other so that any differences in sound can be compared to make sure it going toward something better.

Actually ARC doesn't try to achieve a flat response but tries to maintain the natural room gain found in the room. This is the "hump" in the lower end of the graph. I think this is what you actually meant though as the rest of the curve should be flat. Yes you can change the crossovers in the target window but changing them in the bass management menu doesn't allow ARC to implement a total solution. I don't think raising the crossover doesn't mean ARC only worries about a single source (sub) it will still correct up to the max eq freq chosen in the target screen which defaults to 5K hz.
Shrike645 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off