Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2722 Old 11-09-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Hey guys how about some impressions of the sound. There are a lot of post about the features, but not much about the most important thing, the sound. How does the gen2 sound, hows the ARC 1M implementation. Does it sound forward, neutral or warm? Hows the soundstage and imaging? I'm especially interested to hear from gen1 owners who upgraded though it doesn't seem like there are many yet, so if this your first MRX please give your impressions well.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2722 Old 11-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a couple of questions now that I have hopefully successfully ran ARC. It was kinda of weird because when I loaded the disc that came with my MRX-510 it would come back as unsuccessful so I went on the Anthem site and downloaded the software. When I ran ARC my PC picked up the correct s/n for my mic. Does this sound right?

So I hooked up the 510 to the network via ethernet and my PC via ethernet. I opened the ARC file and ran the test tones, then the targets, then calibrated and after calibration hit upload. At the end my computer said Upload Complete. I hit OK and that is all I need to do, CORRECT?

If I' not mistaken I do not need to keep my PC or the MRX-510 hooked up to the Modem/Router, correct?

Thanks,
Ted

I can't believe how fast the new ARC works and so far the results sound great. How do you pull the results and post?
post #93 of 2722 Old 11-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
One more quick question, when I first hooked up the Anthem MRX-510 I manually set everything up and then I saved the user settings. This is before I ran ARC. Once you run ARC does it reset other than distances, etc. It looks like it changed my crossovers but just want to make sure that everything is correct.
post #94 of 2722 Old 11-09-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGOLFER View Post

One more quick question, when I first hooked up the Anthem MRX-510 I manually set everything up and then I saved the user settings. This is before I ran ARC. Once you run ARC does it reset other than distances, etc. It looks like it changed my crossovers but just want to make sure that everything is correct.

Since ARC play with some of the user parameters such as the level, etc.. My guess is that it is preferable to save the user setting after you run ARC.
post #95 of 2722 Old 11-09-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a couple of questions now that I have hopefully successfully ran ARC. It was kinda of weird because when I loaded the disc that came with my MRX-510 it would come back as unsuccessful so I went on the Anthem site and downloaded the software. When I ran ARC my PC picked up the correct s/n for my mic. Does this sound right?

So I hooked up the 510 to the network via ethernet and my PC via ethernet. I opened the ARC file and ran the test tones, then the targets, then calibrated and after calibration hit upload. At the end my computer said Upload Complete. I hit OK and that is all I need to do, CORRECT?

If I' not mistaken I do not need to keep my PC or the MRX-510 hooked up to the Modem/Router, correct?

Thanks,
Ted

I can't believe how fast the new ARC works and so far the results sound great. How do you pull the results and post?

After the upload is completed you are done and don`t need to keep neither the PC or the MRX hooked to your moden anymore. After the upload the only thing you need to do is to verify in the input configuration menu that ARC is set to On.
post #96 of 2722 Old 11-09-2013, 12:01 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks,
Ted

VTGOLFER you are correct in that you do not have to keep you computer or MRX hooked up to your router. Once the ARC calibration has been run it uploads all necessary data to your MRX. The only time you will need to reconnect both is if you room configuration/components change. In these cases ARC would need to be run again. Also note that firmware upgrades cannot be done from a computer or network. The firmware must be uploaded to a USB stick, inserted into the USB port at the back of MRX and started through the menu. Congrats on a great purchase! I had a MRX 500 and replaced it with a 510....i love both of them!

FYI, make sure you MRX is updated to the latest firmware 1.1.1 (available on Anthem's site)

post #97 of 2722 Old 11-09-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

Since ARC play with some of the user parameters such as the level, etc.. My guess is that it is preferable to save the user setting after you run ARC.

I would agree with Tolstoi on this as well!

post #98 of 2722 Old 11-09-2013, 12:27 PM

hello

Any mac users that could help me trouble shoot? I have done the following and it still can't see the amp.

1. both my mac and the anthem are wired into the back of my time machine no wifi
2. I am running windows 8 in parallels
3. when I go connect it says no device found
4. updated firmware to 1.1
5. in the settings menu I have it set to auto for ip
6. direct connection selected also

any help would be great,
post #99 of 2722 Old 11-09-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

Hey guys how about some impressions of the sound. There are a lot of post about the features, but not much about the most important thing, the sound. How does the gen2 sound, hows the ARC 1M implementation. Does it sound forward, neutral or warm? Hows the soundstage and imaging? I'm especially interested to hear from gen1 owners who upgraded though it doesn't seem like there are many yet, so if this your first MRX please give your impressions well.

Well i can give you some insight so far in my implementation. My MRX 510 replaced a 500 in my HT setup. I use the room for 2 channel listening (CD, SACD, Vinyl) as well as 5.1. The MRX powers my centre and rear channels and i pre-out to an Anthem PVA2 to power the fronts.

In terms of the original ARC setup versus ARC 1M i can say that 1M is definitely faster in it channel sweeps, calculations and upload to the receiver. Another difference between the ARC versions is that ARC 1M will give you real time response curves while reading from various positions. In the original ARC software you needed to wait until all positions were measured. Saying that i have calibrated AVM 50v's which used the IDENTICAL ARC software (although there is a difference in the DSP's between the two pieces) it was not "dumbed down" for the MRX series. It will be interesting as the AVM and DV2 go through an upgrade this year if they approach them with the ARC 1M software or some variant. I have a feeling it will be a variant because in the literature Anthem states that ARC 1M is specifically designed for the MRX lineup. In closing on ARC i will say that it is EXPONENTIALLY FASTER than its predecessor.

The sound from gen2 is, in my humble opinion, AWESOME! I have noticed that the sound is definitely forward in my setup. The soundstage is wide and enveloping, and believe me those adjectives don't fully describe the experience! You need to hear for yourself. Perhaps the most impressive part of the Anthem electronics lineup all the way back to the AVM20 (my first experience with Anthem) has been its seamless imaging capabilities. Before i originally bought my 500 just under a year ago i was contemplating splurging on a Paradigm Reference system. However, my Paradigm/Anthem dealer suggested to me that i should first buy an MRX and ARC my room before making a decision on my speakers. Man am i glad that i did! I have NEVER heard my speakers image as well as after running ARC!! When i bring my wife down to listen with me she always says that the center channel must be on when we are listening to 2 channel sources. Again, you need to HEAR TO BELIEVE! I have also noticed that the bass management system has been tightened up in the gen2 series. My subs are definitely cleaner and more precise than with the gen1. I'm not sure if this is a side affect of the upgrades DSP's in the unit or ARC 1M!?

Perhaps one of the best features on the gen2 versus the gen1 MRX's is their input assignments. I found that on my gen1 i quickly ran out of inputs. In fact i had to switch in the menu between digital and analog every time i wanted to listen to a cd/vinyl vs. an SACD. Holy annoying! But in the new gen2 the inputs are all digital (hence no direct input buttons on the front panel). Up to 20 assignable inputs is the flexibility i have been waiting for forever in my receiver! Huge thumbs up to Anthem on this decision! Not to mention the additional HDMI inputs and outputs! Four was just not enough in this day in age!

Now, before everyone on this forum thinks that i work for the Anthem/Paradigm public relations department there has been a couple of things that i miss from gen1 in my gen2. The first, as stupid as it may sound is a visible progress indicator (as a bar) when turning the volume up or down on the OSD. The gen1 had this, but the gen2 simply gives you a relative db number. Second, and this is really confusing to me, the gen2 receivers do not allow for the assignment of video resolution from the MRX via HDMI. For instance, in the gen1 menu you had the option under HDMI Output to fix the HDMI resolution from the MRX to your display (ie. 720P/1080i/1080P24, etc). In gen2 it will simply process any analog video source and output it in its default resolution. This is a pain because in my case i have a Wii which outputs 480p. In my gen1 setup i was able to force 1080 out of the MRX to my XBR and it would automatically format the picture to the correct 16:9 aspect. In my gen2 setup i need to go into my XBR menu each time i use my Wii and force a stretch mode because the detected input resolution is 480P. Small annoyance, but i told my wife she needs to get a Wii U, fixing the issue. None the less, this is a limitation that is odd considering it was available in the gen1 receivers. I'm thinking that it may have something to do with the HDMI software/hardware in gen2 or perhaps some weird side affect of 4k pass through!?

As a final note in this essay i thought i might pass this information forward. I am very good friends with my Anthem dealer and he shared with me some interesting information on the build quality of the gen2 versus gen1 receivers that he received from Anthem itself. Obviously we all know that gen1 and gen2 receivers are made in China. HOWEVER, if you notice in the gen2 receivers that all the boards in the receivers are red in color (just like the AVM50 and DV2), where the gen1 hardware was not. This is due to a side note that not many people are aware of. The gen1 receivers, including hardware, were built for Anthem by another company. In other words it was not Anthem designed hardware, someone else was responsible for that and Anthem developed and applied the software after. This could explain why there was some many failures in hardware in gen1 (especially in the 700 series), which was uncharacteristic for Anthem. The new gen2 receivers are TOTALLY DESIGNED FROM THE GROUND UP by Anthem in Canada. This includes hardware and software. All the parts are then sent to China for assembly.

Legairre, let me summarize it like this:

1. My receiver has never given me so much flexibility before as with the gen2 MRX

2. My speakers have never had such an amazing soundstage and imaging characteristics then with the MRX gen2

3. You need to LISTEN to fully ARC'd system at your local Anthem dealer. You will be BLOWN AWAY!

4. I have had over 10 years experience with various Anthem products and have never had a technical issue or been disappointed!

4AlexF likes this.
post #100 of 2722 Old 11-09-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseyhorne View Post

hello

Any mac users that could help me trouble shoot? I have done the following and it still can't see the amp.

1. both my mac and the anthem are wired into the back of my time machine no wifi

any help would be great,

Kelsey,

I have tried to use a mac for ARC in gen1 and ARC 1M in gen2. I have NEVER had success. Anthem specifically states that ARC and ARC 1M will not work with Parallel's. I'm assuming this has something to due with the USB/Network tunneling that it done between the Parallel's virtual machine and OS X. I have tried running ARC in a bootcamp installed version of windows also with zero success. I had to resort to getting an old Dell laptop from work running WinXP to run ARC and ARC 1M. If you are able to get it to work please let me know, i've wasted some many hours trying with no success!

kelseyhorne likes this.
post #101 of 2722 Old 11-09-2013, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the mac, now I need to find someone with a pc smile.gif. Coming from a denon 4520ci this unit is amazing. I thought the 510 wouldn't be as powerful but its hits hard
tbjesse likes this.
post #102 of 2722 Old 11-09-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up on the mac, now I need to find someone with a pc smile.gif. Coming from a denon 4520ci this unit is amazing. I thought the 510 wouldn't be as powerful but its hits hard

Agreed! I came from an Onkyo TX-NR3002. This series blows any Onkyo piece away!

post #103 of 2722 Old 11-09-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hello

any help would be great,

in the network menu on the MRX side do you see and IP address?
post #104 of 2722 Old 11-09-2013, 03:00 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:

If you look you should easily beable to find cheap used laptops for about $100 to use, I know a few people that did that as its cheaper than buy windows. Also, in boot camp I haven't really heard of anyone having problems running ARC. Also, if I remember right I believe the old ARC had problems with Windows 8? I used XP and it work flawlessly.
post #105 of 2722 Old 11-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbjesse View Post

Quote:

hello

any help would be great,

Kelsey,

I have tried to use a mac for ARC in gen1 and ARC 1M in gen2. I have NEVER had success. Anthem specifically states that ARC and ARC 1M will not work with Parallel's. I'm assuming this has something to due with the USB/Network tunneling that it done between the Parallel's virtual machine and OS X. I have tried running ARC in a bootcamp installed version of windows also with zero success. I had to resort to getting an old Dell laptop from work running WinXP to run ARC and ARC 1M. If you are able to get it to work please let me know, i've wasted some many hours trying with no success!

I use ARC and ARC2 on Windows 7, 32-bit Home Edition, running under BootCamp on a MacBook Pro and it works just fine. For ARC2 with the new MRX x10 receiver models, the Windows 7 configuration is using my Apple Airport Wifi networking. The MRX 710 is connect by Ethernet to an Apple Airport Express configured on that Wifi network.

For the original ARC used with my Anthem Statement D2v, I use a Keyspan USA-19HS USB to Serial adapter at the Mac end to connect ARC running on Windows 7 to the Serial port on the D2v.

For ARC2 to work to the MRX x10, of course it has to be able to see the x10 on the network. Use Windows Help to look up the PING utility (available using the Terminal command line utility program) and see if you can PING the IP address of the MRX. If not, then it is not set up correctly on the network. Or Windows isn't set up for networking.

Just in case it isn't obvious, the MRX needs to be turned on for the ARC2 application to find it.

The "Direct" connection stuff is for when an Ethernet cable is connected directly between the Windows computer and the MRX -- no router or other house networking components in between. MOST people will not use a Direct connection as it is much less confusing to have ARC2 access the MRX via your existing house networking.

In the MRX, try Setup > System Info to see if the the Connection Info at the bottom of that screen comes up showing that the MRX has found and connected to your network.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #106 of 2722 Old 11-09-2013, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Can you please give is a little detailed comparison against the Denon 4520 as this is one of the units I previously had considered.
post #107 of 2722 Old 11-09-2013, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well i can give you some insight so far in my implementation. My MRX 510 replaced a 500 in my HT setup. I use the room for 2 channel listening (CD, SACD, Vinyl) as well as 5.1. The MRX powers my centre and rear channels and i pre-out to an Anthem PVA2 to power the fronts.

In terms of the original ARC setup versus ARC 1M i can say that 1M is definitely faster in it channel sweeps, calculations and upload to the receiver. Another difference between the ARC versions is that ARC 1M will give you real time response curves while reading from various positions. In the original ARC software you needed to wait until all positions were measured. Saying that i have calibrated AVM 50v's which used the IDENTICAL ARC software (although there is a difference in the DSP's between the two pieces) it was not "dumbed down" for the MRX series. It will be interesting as the AVM and DV2 go through an upgrade this year if they approach them with the ARC 1M software or some variant. I have a feeling it will be a variant because in the literature Anthem states that ARC 1M is specifically designed for the MRX lineup. In closing on ARC i will say that it is EXPONENTIALLY FASTER than its predecessor.

The sound from gen2 is, in my humble opinion, AWESOME! I have noticed that the sound is definitely forward in my setup. The soundstage is wide and enveloping, and believe me those adjectives don't fully describe the experience! You need to hear for yourself. Perhaps the most impressive part of the Anthem electronics lineup all the way back to the AVM20 (my first experience with Anthem) has been its seamless imaging capabilities. Before i originally bought my 500 just under a year ago i was contemplating splurging on a Paradigm Reference system. However, my Paradigm/Anthem dealer suggested to me that i should first buy an MRX and ARC my room before making a decision on my speakers. Man am i glad that i did! I have NEVER heard my speakers image as well as after running ARC!! When i bring my wife down to listen with me she always says that the center channel must be on when we are listening to 2 channel sources. Again, you need to HEAR TO BELIEVE! I have also noticed that the bass management system has been tightened up in the gen2 series. My subs are definitely cleaner and more precise than with the gen1. I'm not sure if this is a side affect of the upgrades DSP's in the unit or ARC 1M!?

Perhaps one of the best features on the gen2 versus the gen1 MRX's is their input assignments. I found that on my gen1 i quickly ran out of inputs. In fact i had to switch in the menu between digital and analog every time i wanted to listen to a cd/vinyl vs. an SACD. Holy annoying! But in the new gen2 the inputs are all digital (hence no direct input buttons on the front panel). Up to 20 assignable inputs is the flexibility i have been waiting for forever in my receiver! Huge thumbs up to Anthem on this decision! Not to mention the additional HDMI inputs and outputs! Four was just not enough in this day in age!

Now, before everyone on this forum thinks that i work for the Anthem/Paradigm public relations department there has been a couple of things that i miss from gen1 in my gen2. The first, as stupid as it may sound is a visible progress indicator (as a bar) when turning the volume up or down on the OSD. The gen1 had this, but the gen2 simply gives you a relative db number. Second, and this is really confusing to me, the gen2 receivers do not allow for the assignment of video resolution from the MRX via HDMI. For instance, in the gen1 menu you had the option under HDMI Output to fix the HDMI resolution from the MRX to your display (ie. 720P/1080i/1080P24, etc). In gen2 it will simply process any analog video source and output it in its default resolution. This is a pain because in my case i have a Wii which outputs 480p. In my gen1 setup i was able to force 1080 out of the MRX to my XBR and it would automatically format the picture to the correct 16:9 aspect. In my gen2 setup i need to go into my XBR menu each time i use my Wii and force a stretch mode because the detected input resolution is 480P. Small annoyance, but i told my wife she needs to get a Wii U, fixing the issue. None the less, this is a limitation that is odd considering it was available in the gen1 receivers. I'm thinking that it may have something to do with the HDMI software/hardware in gen2 or perhaps some weird side affect of 4k pass through!?

As a final note in this essay i thought i might pass this information forward. I am very good friends with my Anthem dealer and he shared with me some interesting information on the build quality of the gen2 versus gen1 receivers that he received from Anthem itself. Obviously we all know that gen1 and gen2 receivers are made in China. HOWEVER, if you notice in the gen2 receivers that all the boards in the receivers are red in color (just like the AVM50 and DV2), where the gen1 hardware was not. This is due to a side note that not many people are aware of. The gen1 receivers, including hardware, were built for Anthem by another company. In other words it was not Anthem designed hardware, someone else was responsible for that and Anthem developed and applied the software after. This could explain why there was some many failures in hardware in gen1 (especially in the 700 series), which was uncharacteristic for Anthem. The new gen2 receivers are TOTALLY DESIGNED FROM THE GROUND UP by Anthem in Canada. This includes hardware and software. All the parts are then sent to China for assembly.

Legairre, let me summarize it like this:

1. My receiver has never given me so much flexibility before as with the gen2 MRX
2. My speakers have never had such an amazing soundstage and imaging characteristics then with the MRX gen2
3. You need to LISTEN to fully ARC'd system at your local Anthem dealer. You will be BLOWN AWAY!
4. I have had over 10 years experience with various Anthem products and have never had a technical issue or been disappointed

I can't compare with gen 1. But overall your review of the new MRX is in line with what I think of their performance and ease of use.

Which spearkers are you using?

Sadly don't expect ARC on the AVM or D2V. Anyway we got our upgrade this year with the 3D upgrade.
post #108 of 2722 Old 11-10-2013, 12:14 AM

Liked: 10
I have no problems running ARC on my Mac air.. Bootcamp works as it should.

Compared to gen 1, gen 2 strikes me as a far more complete product. The sound is more dramatic and The new ARC is awesome and lightning fast. It's an awesome machine.
post #109 of 2722 Old 11-10-2013, 05:22 AM

Just finished watching Star Trek (JJ Abrams version) last night. Overall here are some of my thoughts with the MRX-510 compared to others I have owned (Denon 4520, RX-3900, MRX-700, Anthem 225). I have not setup Arc yet.

Design
Overall the look and build quality is great, it feels like it was built from the scratch instead of borrowing things from the gen 1 series! It looks amazing on the shelf, the lines are clean and all the logos are hidden. My only complaint on the design is the plastic used in front of the display is still not 100% clear so type isn't as sharp as it could be and the blues don't match on the power button and display. The unit is lighter than I thought but coming from an Anthem 225 this unit is a feather. Peaked in the inside and it looks way different than my 300, all the boards are red and not a lot of clutter, but how that matters i am not sure but just my opinion.

Setup
Setting up the 510 was a breeze, the new menu system I can assign inputs and the usual sound profiles (you can pick 2 profiles for sound) I won't spend too much time on this but compared to the denon 4520 there was a lot less elements to setup, The denon was a little over the top with what you could customize and would always have me thinking I didn't have everything set properly. As for Arc coming from a mac system its still a pain if you have the newest operating system so I am going to go borrow a cheap laptop and set it up. Not sure why it all can't be done by usb.

Quality control
One thing i do when I buy a new amp is check to see how clean the sound is that comes out without any source, just by turning up the amp and putting my ear to the speaker. I had some issues with the MRX 300 in regards to static in one channel and just some overall build quality issues (two RCA popped out) but this unit as of now has a nice clean sound coming out and all the RCA are nice and tight. Updated firmware no problems.

Sound

Compared to the Denon 4520 / 3313 blu-ray. Even without Arc setup this unit steers the effects way better and the front soundstage feels like one unit. I found the sound of the denon always to be a little fat and didn't have the sparkle I was looking for - the 510 has this no question. In terms of power I would put the 510 up against the denon any day. I was going to get the 710 but since I eventually want to get an external amp (maybe not anymore) so I was concerned about power ,after 20min that worry was gone - again this is without Arc setup. On the denon I had it setup with the mic and I found it always flattened out the sound. Coming from a 4520 I found the sound has more sparkle and the effects (for me) is night and day how they flow though the room. The last thing, I found I was having to adjust the centre a lot in the denon but the Anthem seems to solve that issue.

Compared to the Yamaha 3900. Let me say I love Yamaha's and still do, I love the sound that comes out them and they always have lots of impact. The sound coming out of the 510 has more sparkle than the Yamaha and again steers the sound better for what I can remember. The 510 is not as neutral as the 3900 but is more fun to listen too. If I could give an opinion on the sound character it would be ( not lean, a little forward, midrange has a lot of range). Again the MRX specs don't seem accurate as to how much power it has.

Compared to the Anthem 225. I really like the 225, found the voices great, I bought it just for my turntable. I won't spend much time on this but I can't seem to hear a difference in my turntable between the two. I have to turn up the 225 more to get the same sound volume as the 510 which is odd given the 225 has 225 per channel.

Compared to the Anthem 300. This will be short cause I sold this unit after 6 months of problems with handshaking and clicks and dropouts. I cannot compare the arc on both since I have yet to set it up. Gen 2 quality feels amazing compared to Gen 1.

Overall I find watching movies on the Anthem a unique experience, for the first time I find that I am not noticing the individual speakers and just enjoying the holistic soundstage. You also know its good when the wife whom never comments on new gear say 'wow'. I am glad I didn't go with the 710, I think the power difference is not enough to warrant the extra money, I would put that money into a nice 3 channel amp if I had too.

K
4AlexF likes this.
post #110 of 2722 Old 11-10-2013, 07:59 AM

Shot of the the new toy!
post #111 of 2722 Old 11-10-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

I can't compare with gen 1. But overall your review of the new MRX is in line with what I think of their performance and ease of use.

Which spearkers are you using?

Sadly don't expect ARC on the AVM or D2V. Anyway we got our upgrade this year with the 3D upgrade.

I am running Jamo C 607 fronts, C80 Center and E610 rears. They are an incredibly musical speaker, but still perform extremely well in a HT setup.

post #112 of 2722 Old 11-10-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:

I have tried to use a mac for ARC in gen1 and ARC 1M in gen2. I have NEVER had success. Anthem specifically states that ARC and ARC 1M will not work with Parallel's.

Wait a minute. ARC in the ur-MRX works just fine with Parallels 7 and 8 under Lion or Mountain Lion. (Haven't tried it with 9 yet, or under Mavericks).

Can't comment on the new one, but would be interested to know if it is indeed incompatible with Parallels. I'm considering maybe getting a 510. But if it's not compatible with Parallels...no way.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #113 of 2722 Old 11-10-2013, 11:27 AM

It won't work with Parallels, You need to get a cheap used laptop with windows or borrow one.
post #114 of 2722 Old 11-10-2013, 11:27 AM

Are the apps out yet for Apple or Android?
post #115 of 2722 Old 11-10-2013, 11:36 AM

Not that i've seen.

post #116 of 2722 Old 11-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

I decided to try out a gen 2 MRX-510 and picked it up last week and got it set up last night. I am using it as a processor as I have Bryston external amplification. I had a MRX-500 and a MRX-300 both of which went back because of two very obvious glitches with them.

I ran ARC 2 and my first observation and question is regarding the speaker level settings. ARC set my front LCR and Sub channel to +12 db (max) and my surround channels to +5 db. Now after checking out a couple of movies last night, it was sounding as though there was some clipping or distortion going on with loud passages (regardless of volume setting). Now my question is, will I break the ARC settings (will ARC still function correctly) if I lower all the speaker levels by the same amount say by 6db?? My main speakers are fairly inefficient (85 db) and is why I am guessing ARC set the level to the maximum.

I will have to do more testing to see if that distortion is actually in the movies I tried, or that there is actual clipping because of the max 12 db setting on the 510.

One other issue is that I tried to update the software on the 510 to 1.1.1 with a USB stick containing only the software file (extracted file MRX510_US_MP_20131025.fw), but was unsuccessful. Tried via the menu and also by pressing and holding select on the unit for at least 10 seconds.. I saw the USB stick flash a few times but the update did not commence. I will try a different USB stick to see if that works.

Other than that, so far so good with the 510, I watched an entire movie from start to finish and no obvious glitches were present with the video side of things which is great.
post #117 of 2722 Old 11-10-2013, 01:00 PM

That is weird in regards to your firmware upgrade. I would try another flash drive for sure! How was the thumb drive formatted? I'm assuming that the .fw file was not within a folder on the drive, just in the root directory?

post #118 of 2722 Old 11-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That is weird in regards to your firmware upgrade. I would try another flash drive for sure! How was the thumb drive formatted? I'm assuming that the .fw file was not within a folder on the drive, just in the root directory?

Just checked the flash drive. It is formatted NTFS and yes the .fw file is the only file on there right on the root directory. Does it have to be FAT32? I remember I reformatted this stick to NTFS to handle larger files... I bet that has something to do with it!

EDIT: Yes that was it, updating as we speak! smile.gif
post #119 of 2722 Old 11-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Can firmware updates occur over the network or are they USB stick only?
post #120 of 2722 Old 11-10-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

Can firmware updates occur over the network or are they USB stick only?

USB Stick only

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page