Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 3206 Old 02-25-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

Couple of suggestions
After a reboot try running the program as an administrator.
Uninstall then reinstall the program as an administrator.
Try a different network cable??

EDIT--power down the AVR and unplug it for a few minutes,then try again.

You are close!

Did as instructed. Same error message

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Lower Prices: Buttkicker ($125 shipped-see pics) /Acoustic Panels for Sale ($300 for pair):
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...-kit-sale.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 3206 Old 02-25-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the suggestions for tonight. I am going to shut it down for the night and try again tomorrow night. I may bring home a laptop from the office and try too. Also, I'll call anthem customer service tomorrow and see if they can help. I'm a little frustrated since I never had any issues with the old arc system and getting it to run

Thanks again

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Lower Prices: Buttkicker ($125 shipped-see pics) /Acoustic Panels for Sale ($300 for pair):
post #1173 of 3206 Old 02-25-2014, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You don't have to plug the MRX into the PC unless you want to do it that way.

You can plug the MRX into the router and then connect wirelessly with your laptop. That how I did it with my HP laptop and had no issues. It worked great. This way if you want to readjust ARC you can just pick up the laptop change a setting and upload it to the AVR wirelessly.
post #1174 of 3206 Old 02-25-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Himes View Post

You don't have to plug the MRX into the PC unless you want to do it that way.

You can plug the MRX into the router and then connect wirelessly with your laptop. That how I did it with my HP laptop and had no issues. It worked great. This way if you want to readjust ARC you can just pick up the laptop change a setting and upload it to the AVR wirelessly.

Again I may be coming across like a complete dunce relative to understanding computers. ......but our router is in another part of the house and currently do not have a wireless routing set up. So are you saying the receiver. Needs to be connected directly to the router?

Right now I have the USB cable running from thr laptop to the mic. I have a network cable running from the laptop to the back of the mrx network input.

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #1175 of 3206 Old 02-25-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Again I may be coming across like a complete dunce relative to understanding computers. ......but our router is in another part of the house and currently do not have a wireless routing set up. So are you saying the receiver. Needs to be connected directly to the router?

Right now I have the USB cable running from thr laptop to the mic. I have a network cable running from the laptop to the back of the mrx network input.

Ron

Yes connect receiver to router. Use a long cable if you have too. If you do not have a wireless connection from your laptop to your router then just connect a second cable from your router to your laptop. All should work automatically.

However I suggest getting a wireless router so you can use your wireless connection from laptop.
post #1176 of 3206 Old 02-25-2014, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
You could also do ethernet over powerline:
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393391038&sr=8-1&keywords=ethernet+over+powerline

Anthem MRX-500 - Vincent SAV-P200 - RAW Acoustics Lambda Plus arrays, Apex C II center - HT4 tower surrounds - CSS WR.30 sides - Rythmik FV15HP - Vizio XVT553SV - Xbox One - Xbox 360 - WD Live TV - QNAP TS212 NAS w/WD Red drives - APC H15BLK
post #1177 of 3206 Old 02-26-2014, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Ron

Hi Ron-

In a typical network setup at home, you'll have a router with a built in ethernet switch. You would then connect your endpoints (laptop, desktop, MRX, etc) to the switch via ethernet cables (or connect wirelessly). This is the most straight forward method for getting your machines "onto the network". When you use wireless, you're simply using a different medium to get your device onto the network (WiFi vs. wired), but the principal is the same. Unless you're using what's known as a crossover ethernet cable or unless your laptop supports MDIX or auto crossover detection, you can't plug your laptop directly to the Anthem.

The good news is that many modern laptops support auto crossover, which would obviate the need for you to move your router around or to purchase a crossover cable. To simplify things, here's a few troubleshooting steps.

Option 1: Plug the ethernet cable from your laptop directly to the MRX.
This would obviate the need for your to make any changes to your home network. I'd use this principally as a one-time setup, but it's the least disruptive to your home network configuration.

On the MRX, configure your TCP/IP as follows:
IP Configuration Mode: Manual
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

On your laptop:
IP Configuration: Manually Set
IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

• Disable / turn off wireless on your laptop (if you use it normally)
  • If your laptop supports auto crossover, the MRX should be detected immediately (by ARC)
  • If it doesn't, you could purchase a crossover cable (~$8 from Amazon)

Option 2: Use an ethernet switch
This also obviates the need for you to make changes to your home network or move things around. The principal is the same as option 1, but you're using an ethernet switch as an intermediary as opposed to directly connecting things.

• Configure your laptop and the MRX manually as in Option 1 above
  • Disable / turn off wireless on your laptop (if you use it normally)
  • Connect your laptop to the switch with one ethernet cable
  • Connect your MRX to the switch with another ethernet cable

Note: you're still creating a collapsed network, so no internet access should be expected

Option 3: Use your router to put both the Anthem and your laptop on your home network
Most (all?) home routers now have built in ethernet switches. Most of them also have built in DHCP servers and are configured to hand out IP address configurations to the client end points. Using this option or a variation thereof is how you'd generally get your Anthem onto your network so that you could access it via the forthcoming iOS app or via the ARC software on a regular basis.

• Configure the MRX IP Configuration Mode to "Auto"
  • Configure your laptop to obtain the IP address information automatically or via DHCP
  • Connect your laptop to the router with one ethernet cable (or wirelessly)
  • Connect the MRX to the router with another ethernet cable

Hope that this helps!
-mike
vidya46 likes this.
post #1178 of 3206 Old 02-26-2014, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mike explained things very well. If your not tech savvy it may seem overwhelming but it's not to bad. My laptop and AVR must have had all the correct settings default because I plugged the AVR into the router, ran ARC and it just worked.

Option 3 (LAN) is the one I was talking about and is Anthem's recommend configuration. The others should work fine also, just a little more PC/AVR configuring.

From page 24 of the manual:

NETWORK TYPE:
The default is wired LAN, which will allow the easiest way to run Anthem Room Correction, described later, as long as the receiver is connected to an Ethernet router.

The alternative is to change the setting to Direct Connect (generally not recommended), which allows connecting the CAT5 cable directly between the receiver and your computer, but your computer will need to have its network settings changed to make this work. Setting a static IP address is beyond the scope of this manual because
the method varies according to the computer’s operating system. Instructions may be found on the Internet by entering “How to assign a static IP address” into a search engine.

Good luck!
post #1179 of 3206 Old 02-26-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks to mike and everyone for your help! Much appreciated. Yes, Mike your post was awesome with all the detail and explanation for each option. Fortunately, the first option worked perfectly. All that was missing was inputting the static IP on my laptop. Once I did that everything worked as expected.

The result was the awesome results from the new ARC system. Watched Gravity and was blown away by the sound of the new anthem and ARC2

Again can't say thanks enough to mike and everyone that helped me work through set up process

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #1180 of 3206 Old 02-26-2014, 02:19 PM

Liked: 33

The MRX software gets confused easily by multiple network adapters, particularly virtual and wireless ones. These adapters constantly try to connect, so appear to be "live". All irrelevant adapters should be disabled in adapter settings, and the MRX will pop up.

post #1181 of 3206 Old 02-26-2014, 05:17 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

Thanks to mike and everyone for your help! Much appreciated. Yes, Mike your post was awesome with all the detail and explanation for each option. Fortunately, the first option worked perfectly. All that was missing was inputting the static IP on my laptop. Once I did that everything worked as expected.

The result was the awesome results from the new ARC system. Watched Gravity and was blown away by the sound of the new anthem and ARC2

Again can't say thanks enough to mike and everyone that helped me work through set up process

Ron

Glad to hear that you're off and running!
-mike
post #1182 of 3206 Old 02-26-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Very pleased since my last run of ARC after finally sorting my old pesky B15 sub to run totally eq-less. Really enjoying the sound coming out of the 510 via the P5. I got a little tempted to investigate the Paradigm Sub 1 in the last few days before I sorted the issue with the B15. I'm still kind of curious about that unit as it sounds like a well engineered unit that could be a nice upgrade for not too bad a price locally.

post #1183 of 3206 Old 02-26-2014, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I am waiting for my 710 ......... decided to give it a try......but have not been able to check one out as my store only has the 310. I am wondering about the remote and how responsive the main unit is to commands. Specifically my Onkyo TX-NR3009 responds to remote commands easily from most angles in my bsmt theater.............I recently had the Denon AVR-4000 and the Yamaha 1030 and was REALLY annoyed that I had to point the remote straight at the unit to get a response in comparison to my 3009 and my Denon 3808.

Can any owners comment........how is the remote response..........is it narrow or problematic? Do other users of the 710 think that the 710 will be an improvement in SQ over my 3009? The reviews seem to suggest it will be better. My speakers are Paradigm Studio 100's on the front, CC690 Center and Energy RC-70 rears and a Paradigm Sub 12 (have not got it yet......still using my buzzing Servo 15a which will go to the local Eco Station soon)l

Thank You.
post #1184 of 3206 Old 02-27-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 793
I have just finished reading this entire thread, and a number of professional reviews of the MRX line of AVR's. My primary interest is ARC room correction, and I am close to purchasing the MRX510 to replace a Denon 4520. I am a long-time user of Audyssey, including their Pro Kit, so the power and flexibility of ARC is very interesting to me.

I am still not clear of any special considerations required with multiple-sub configurations. I have four 15-inch sealed subs located around my listening room, and they are not equidistant from the primary listening position. With my current AVR, I have two sub channels and the ability to configure independent trims and delays. What special steps would I need to take to ensure the multiple-sub configuration is set up properly using ARC?

Also, I am a long-time user of REW, and consider using an independent measuring system an important and essential part of proper audio configuration. Yet I don't see very many, if any, posts in this thread where ARC users are measuring their systems. IIUC, the graphs I see that are produced by ARC showing "corrected in-room response" are predicted audio behavior, not actual response curves. Has anyone taken and posted independent before/after measurements?
post #1185 of 3206 Old 02-27-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Himes View Post

Mike explained things very well. If your not tech savvy it may seem overwhelming but it's not to bad. My laptop and AVR must have had all the correct settings default because I plugged the AVR into the router, ran ARC and it just worked.

Option 3 (LAN) is the one I was talking about and is Anthem's recommend configuration. The others should work fine also, just a little more PC/AVR configuring.

From page 24 of the manual:

NETWORK TYPE:
The default is wired LAN, which will allow the easiest way to run Anthem Room Correction, described later, as long as the receiver is connected to an Ethernet router.

The alternative is to change the setting to Direct Connect (generally not recommended), which allows connecting the CAT5 cable directly between the receiver and your computer, but your computer will need to have its network settings changed to make this work. Setting a static IP address is beyond the scope of this manual because
the method varies according to the computer’s operating system. Instructions may be found on the Internet by entering “How to assign a static IP address” into a search engine.

Good luck!

This is a good example of the directions being well written, but me not understanding the "language" of computers and the ramifications of doing what is described in the directions. I virtually closed my mind to considering that paragraph when they start off with saying (not recommended or something to that degree). But once I saw Mike's description and talked to our IT person, it made sense to me and obviously a very simple change/process.

After this exercise,I need to be more understanding of those that are confused by HT set ups and lingo. It's pretty easy for us to trouble shoot problems, but I can imagine the average person reading the manual and becoming perplexed by the directions. For me computers is like learning another language. I realize has AV gear and our whole house networks become intertwined, I will have to learn the language to be able to enjoy my set up to it's fullest. I remind myself that making firmware changes or using the laptop to update or make changes in AV is WAY better than the old days for sending in a projector (or receiver etc) to update or correct an issue. So, even though the "burden" is on the consumer to update our own equipment, the ability, costs and eventual ease of those changes "in-house" is ultimately better for all parties.
whodunnit likes this.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #1186 of 3206 Old 02-27-2014, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I have just finished reading this entire thread, and a number of professional reviews of the MRX line of AVR's. My primary interest is ARC room correction, and I am close to purchasing the MRX510 to replace a Denon 4520. I am a long-time user of Audyssey, including their Pro Kit, so the power and flexibility of ARC is very interesting to me.

I am still not clear of any special considerations required with multiple-sub configurations. I have four 15-inch sealed subs located around my listening room, and they are not equidistant from the primary listening position. With my current AVR, I have two sub channels and the ability to configure independent trims and delays. What special steps would I need to take to ensure the multiple-sub configuration is set up properly using ARC?

Also, I am a long-time user of REW, and consider using an independent measuring system an important and essential part of proper audio configuration. Yet I don't see very many, if any, posts in this thread where ARC users are measuring their systems. IIUC, the graphs I see that are produced by ARC showing "corrected in-room response" are predicted audio behavior, not actual response curves. Has anyone taken and posted independent before/after measurements?

Jerry see attached image regarding multiple subs

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE
Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
post #1187 of 3206 Old 02-27-2014, 09:18 AM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

This is a good example of the directions being well written, but me not understanding the "language" of computers and the ramifications of doing what is described in the directions. I virtually closed my mind to considering that paragraph when they start off with saying (not recommended or something to that degree). But once I saw Mike's description and talked to our IT person, it made sense to me and obviously a very simple change/process.

After this exercise,I need to be more understanding of those that are confused by HT set ups and lingo. It's pretty easy for us to trouble shoot problems, but I can imagine the average person reading the manual and becoming perplexed by the directions. For me computers is like learning another language. I realize has AV gear and our whole house networks become intertwined, I will have to learn the language to be able to enjoy my set up to it's fullest. I remind myself that making firmware changes or using the laptop to update or make changes in AV is WAY better than the old days for sending in a projector (or receiver etc) to update or correct an issue. So, even though the "burden" is on the consumer to update our own equipment, the ability, costs and eventual ease of those changes "in-house" is ultimately better for all parties.
RBOSTER- Had to thumb you up for that one! As a non-techie, I appreciate those with the knowledge to be understanding of my lack there of...and that have the patience to hang in with me as I learn. What is second nature to some is a frustrating and off-putting quagmire to others...When it works..it works, when it doesn't, there is often a simple solution that I find can be difficult to get at because of my inability to communicate the problem, and understand the solution once explained. I used to hate the interconnection between AV and computer tech. Now, as I love AV, I have a driving reason to learn more, and have become fascinated. Computer and network integration into AV is a now a silver lining...making me want to learn about that which I have avoided for years.
I just ran ARC. Oh my god. I used to have little love for Audio DSP's, finding myself going back to stereo mode because I was always dissatisfied with the inherent loss of detail. Sure it was cool at first, but eventually dissatisfying and gimmicky. Right now I'm listening to Radio Head "Rainbows" using Dolby Music, and I can't believe how much better it sounds. The detail is back, the overall effect is gorgeous! I want to reset the targets on my stereo listening, to me the bass is too pronounced, but for surround, the difference really is mind blowing. I am one happy camper....

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
post #1188 of 3206 Old 02-27-2014, 09:51 AM

Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post

I am waiting for my 710 ......... decided to give it a try......but have not been able to check one out as my store only has the 310. I am wondering about the remote and how responsive the main unit is to commands. Specifically my Onkyo TX-NR3009 responds to remote commands easily from most angles in my bsmt theater.............I recently had the Denon AVR-4000 and the Yamaha 1030 and was REALLY annoyed that I had to point the remote straight at the unit to get a response in comparison to my 3009 and my Denon 3808.

Can any owners comment........how is the remote response..........is it narrow or problematic? Do other users of the 710 think that the 710 will be an improvement in SQ over my 3009? The reviews seem to suggest it will be better. My speakers are Paradigm Studio 100's on the front, CC690 Center and Energy RC-70 rears and a Paradigm Sub 12 (have not got it yet......still using my buzzing Servo 15a which will go to the local Eco Station soon)l

Thank You.
Not a huge fan of the remote. It's a bit cheap feeling, though is backlit and fairly basic, a fact that I kind of like, but doesn't seem particularly useful off axis. As I have since hooked up my IR repeater, and placed an emitter over the MRX's sensor, the remote function has improved significantly. My guess is the IR receiver, and not the remote itself, is actually the weak link. I'm currently programming my URC RF20 remote, which definitely is an improvement in terms of IR output, and works well. I wouldn't let the remote be the deciding factor. There are plenty of relatively inexpensive options (and expensive ones too!) out there that can mitigate the problem.
Can't answer question about SQ having no experience with the Onkyo, but I'm in love with my 510. We're getting married next week.

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
post #1189 of 3206 Old 02-27-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonT35 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

The problem only arises if the subs are not equidistant from the MLP. If they are equidistant, then the way ARC handles them is fine - it will just see them as a single sub and EQ "it" accordingly. If the subs are at significantly different distances from the MLP, things are trickier - Jerry is used to Audyssey XT32+SUbEQ HT which allows for the setting of the delays (distances) and levels of dual subs separately, then going on to EQ them as one sub.  

The problem with the suggestion in the manual is that not all subs have continuously adjustable phase controls (my Submersives for example) and have a simple phase reversal switch. For those subs, tuning them for phase to optimise the splice by using the onboard sub controls is not possible and the only way to adjust them is to change the delays (distances) in the AVR. This is only possible in AVRs which allow for dual subs with individual settings. Because Anthem doesn't allow for this, it is a limitation. 

It is possible to work around this limitation by introducing a miniDSP between the processor and amplifiers (this assumes external amplifiers) and using that to set levels and delays for each sub individually, but this is a fairly advanced procedure and not everyone has the knowledge, or the inclination, to attempt it. It is also at odds with the 'automated' nature of room EQ systems found in modern AVRs.

While I see it as a limitation for some dual sub users, hopefully, the other benefits of ARC and its flexibility for user-adjustments, will compensate.

post #1190 of 3206 Old 02-27-2014, 10:26 AM

Liked: 15
Looking forward to picking up my MRX 510 today. I placed my order on Monday, surprised it only took 3 days. I will be using it as a preamp with Parasound Halo amplification. Hoping for better luck with this than the Cambridge 751R I returned in August and the Marantz AV7701 I just returned. I had an Anthem AVM20 back in 2002/2003 and loved it so I'm pretty sure this won't disappoint.
post #1191 of 3206 Old 02-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodunnit View Post

Not a huge fan of the remote. It's a bit cheap feeling, though is backlit and fairly basic, a fact that I kind of like, but doesn't seem particularly useful off axis. As I have since hooked up my IR repeater, and placed an emitter over the MRX's sensor, the remote function has improved significantly. My guess is the IR receiver, and not the remote itself, is actually the weak link. I'm currently programming my URC RF20 remote, which definitely is an improvement in terms of IR output, and works well. I wouldn't let the remote be the deciding factor. There are plenty of relatively inexpensive options (and expensive ones too!) out there that can mitigate the problem.
Can't answer question about SQ having no experience with the Onkyo, but I'm in love with my 510. We're getting married next week.

Thanks whodunnit...........don't marry her though.......she may get your speaker system in a divorce !!!
post #1192 of 3206 Old 02-27-2014, 11:21 AM

Liked: 11
Thanks to this thread ,one for helping me buy the MRX 510 and secondly for helping me set it up..biggrin.gif
I would suggest if we can make 1177 as a sticky note at the beginning of this thread..that can help others converting hours of searching to hours of listening biggrin.gif
My experience started with using "Direct Connect"..which didn't work at all..The reason being that I was unable to setup the Ipaddress under the Network/Control Menu.I did Enable Ip address Under "General".

Then I switched to AUTO mode ..connected my Airport Express to the receiver and PC laptop connected wireless..The setup went very smoothly.
The music sounds very good and surrounds my listening position very well..

I have tried to watch Netflix movies "Processed" through the receiver..this actually makes the movie appear darker..The display reads out 1080P.
I will try watching DVD movies and post my results here.

Cheers

biggrin.gif
grasshoppers likes this.

Minimac=>iTunes+AudirvanaPlus=>Peachtree x10 USB to SPDIF=> MRX 510=>Sonus faber Auditor M
post #1193 of 3206 Old 02-27-2014, 11:24 AM

Liked: 11
What SUB to buy????

Since I have the MRX 510 with ARC, should I buy a cheap(er) SVS sealed sub or invest more to buy a DD12+..?
I am assuming here that Anthem recommends switching off the equalization of the SUB and run it through ARC, that a SVS sub should cut it.

My system now has 2 fronts and I want to make it a 2.1 for movie watching..

Cheers
VS

Minimac=>iTunes+AudirvanaPlus=>Peachtree x10 USB to SPDIF=> MRX 510=>Sonus faber Auditor M
post #1194 of 3206 Old 02-27-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for pointing that out, Jason. And thanks to Keith as well for some equally good advice. I am researching the MiniDSP.

I am happy to announce that I just returned from the dealer with my new MRX510! Since it will most likely be several days before the MiniDSP arrives, I am planning on proceeding based on the instructions in the manual. This will allow me to measure and compare the results both ways. I look forward to sharing my results here in the near future.
JasonT35 likes this.
post #1195 of 3206 Old 02-27-2014, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Yes good points by Keith. I think Bob had mentioned as far as distances go, you would just average them. I have to check but I think there is a link in the main Anthem thread explaining how to setup multiple subs for ARC

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE
Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
post #1196 of 3206 Old 02-27-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes good points by Keith. I think Bob had mentioned as far as distances go, you would just average them. I have to check but I think there is a link in the main Anthem thread explaining how to setup multiple subs for ARC

Found this post from Bob P. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1214682/anthem-av-receiver-at-ces/1120_20#post_19461238
post #1197 of 3206 Old 02-27-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:

It would be great if you could find that post. I am sure Jerry will find it useful (congrats BTW Jerry on your purchase) and so would I, even though my subs are, to all intents and purposes, equidistant from the MLP.

The dealbreaker for me, unfortunately, is that I don't want to lose my Height channels and so the x10 series is no good for me. That decision to lose Heights in favour of useless passive biamping really niggles me.

I did consider buying the x00 series but I am reluctant to take a step backwards with ARC as that would be my primary motivation in going the Anthem route anyway. Jerry and I are old buddies, so I am very much looking forward to his findings wrt to ARC vs XT32 and I know he will back up anything he says with some nice, objective REW graphs too. Should be a very interesting few weeks.

post #1198 of 3206 Old 02-27-2014, 01:05 PM

Setup was quick and easy as with the old AVM20 some 10+ years ago!

Not going to try the room correction for some time.

None of the evil HUMMMMMM that I got with the Cambridge 751R & the Marantz AV7701.

Just trying it with music at the moment but it is sounding very good. Oppo BDP-105 into the Anthem MRX-510 thru the 7.1 theater bypass input 10 of my Parasound P7 preamp into a Parasound A21 (stereo) & 3x Parasound A23 center/surrounds. Speakers are Dunlavy SC-IV's (main), Dunlavy SC-Iav (center), Vifa/Madisound (surrounds) same drivers as Dunlavy SC-Iav's & a SVS PB13 Ultra sub.
post #1199 of 3206 Old 02-27-2014, 01:18 PM

Gotta say this thread has some good reading to it... Been researching an upgrade to current avr for past 6 months... After reading a few pages of this thread, reviews found online, and anthem's website, i decided to visit a local shop, to hear one, and see what all they offer. Got to admit, after hearing the 510 eek.gif i think i've might of found which receiver i wish to go upgrade too...

PSN= Jamweiser
post #1200 of 3206 Old 02-27-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamweiser View Post

Gotta say this thread has some good reading to it... Been researching an upgrade to current avr for past 6 months... After reading a few pages of this thread, reviews found online, and anthem's website, i decided to visit a local shop, to hear one, and see what all they offer. Got to admit, after hearing the 510 eek.gif i think i've might of found which receiver i wish to go upgrade too...

In the past several years, I've had an couple of Arcams (love the sound, but both units had some bugs, required me to send in for repairs...made me nervous). Had an Integra and Denon, liked both, but didn't love them. Finally, found Anthem. I had a 300 for 2.5 years and have been very pleased. When I read about the new ARC and how it was close to the calibration capabilities of their high end processors....I wondered if the additional cost would really come out in the sound?

I've only spent about 6 hours listening to "go-to" demo scenes and a couple of movies....WOW, I was really impressed with what I was hearing. More immersive, esp. from the rear soundstage. The panning effects and localization were a definite improvement. One of the real standouts was the nuances that came through the bass side of the soundtrack. It wasn't just tactical, but the characteristics of the bass action on the screen came through to a noticeable degree.

Bottomline, I felt more in the middle of the action, a cleaner, defined sound...both in effects and musically. Could it be the passion of a new AV romance clouding my perspective? Maybe, but compared to the Anthem 300, which I had been listening to up to Monday night (for 2.5 years) , this really stood out as a discernible upgrade. (at a discernible cost vs what i sold my used 300 for wink.gif ). Very happy (so far) with my purchase.

BTW: You must check out Gravity from a soundtrack perspective. I like the film in the theater, but LOVED the experience of watching (and listening) to it at home. Along, with recent movies like "Rush" and "All is Lost"...from a soundtrack stand point, at the at home experience has really improved. It's been a fun month for Blu Ray releases taking advantage of our home theater set ups. I now need to rewatch them with the new Anthem biggrin.gif

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page