Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 3321 Old 03-04-2014, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 41
My Paradigm Sub 1 just came in. So I'm going to set it up it tonight. Going by what the advice has been here, I'll run the PBK first and then re-do ARC. Looking forward to this move across to a newer and well regarded sub.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 3321 Old 03-04-2014, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

And now a comparison of ARC and Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (using a Pro Kit);

Interesting, isn't it?

Yes very interesting. I also took measurements comparing Audyessy XT32 vs ARC too. If I recall correctly I actually had ARC more flat than Audyessy which is the opposite of what your charts are showing. You appear to be using a calibrated mic and REW so your equipment would be much better then my measurement equipment. Also I did not use the pro kit with the Audyessy.

From my testing I have learned that the charts are great but they have to be taken with a grain of salt and maybe even a whole bag of salt. The listening test is really the final test. I know sometimes it is difficult to tell using a listening test. If you hear no difference maybe then there is no difference. Much depends on your room. Some rooms may end up needing EQ at perhaps 80 Hz and below which means a sub eq is all you need.

I took at look at your room and you seem to have much treatment. Great job! Your room looks to be a very nice size too. Your mains RF and LF appear to be far from the side walls which is really good. I am not so lucky. I have a good amount of room treatment but am in the middle of ordering more.

Actually when I first bought my Denon X400 with Audyessy XT32 I was hoping for a flat curve at the MLP. No flat curve was achieved. Many reason are stated for that but I guess it is the way it was designed. Unfortunately there was no way to limit the max EQ so either you have XT32 on or not. Having it on sounded better then not having it on but also having it on did not sound very good to me either. The Denon did have a really nice visual interface for its menu. I returned the Denon X4000 mainly due to the sound not being good enough. ARC allowed me to limit the max EQ that made the real big difference for me. Based solely on this feature and its effect on the sound I would have to rate the ARC a 10 where as Denon would be 3.
post #1353 of 3321 Old 03-04-2014, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here it is:

Day28positions.zip 365k .zip file

Hey Jerry,

Your pre-ARC curve charts look good. Most likely due to your treatments and speaker/room interaction (or lack there of). Wondering if you room "needs" much EQ at all. Maybe in the sub region a bit and a bit here and there.

Is there much of a difference with EQ on whether it was Audyessy or ARC for you vs off?

You where also posting regarding changing the EQ cut off and where to change it. I think you did it correctly. You do it in the software on your computer in the EQ cut offs area. Than hit recalculate and upload it. I would have set the sub to 120 Hz (mainly because the LFE channel is supposed to have content to 120 Hz) but other then that I would say you did it correctly. ARC basically saw your speakers with ability to go really low (that actually a good thing) and set it there. Yes you can try listening to what ARC has suggested but what you did is correct too.
post #1354 of 3321 Old 03-04-2014, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

As I said, the usual reason for poor ARC results is procedural -- how you take the Measurements. With 4 Subs, for example, you need to get Phase adjusted for each of the Subs prior to taking the Measurement since ARC hears them playing as a set. Phase is a function of distance, so when you set the average distance of the Subs as the sole distance value you then need to adjust Phase of each sub to be in alignment with the Mains. (When each Sub is aligned with the Mains for Phase then they are also aligned with each other.)

My point is simple, LOTS of people are getting excellent bass results with ARC. In your case you didn't. That should raise a big red flag. Not that ARC doesn't work, but that something was incorrect in your ARC setup process.

If you still had the MRX hooked up we could explore possibilities. This is not to challenge your result. I believe you when you say the result was poor. What I'm saying is that your result is not the norm, and so odds are there's some procedural glitch in how you got there.
--Bob

I completely agree that my lack of bass could have been addressed by revisiting my procedures. I actually bookmarked your original post regarding the importance of adjusting phase when using multiple subs. But since my subs only have a polarity switch, I wasn't sure how to do that. And four subs makes the procedure even more difficult. My approach was to order a MiniDSP to set the sub delays before running ARC, but now that I am returning the 510, I won't have a chance to test out that approach.

Thanks, Bob, I appreciate your attempt to help me. I wish things had turned out better.
post #1355 of 3321 Old 03-04-2014, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post

Hey Jerry,

Your pre-ARC curve charts look good. Most likely due to your treatments and speaker/room interaction (or lack there of). Wondering if you room "needs" much EQ at all. Maybe in the sub region a bit and a bit here and there.

Is there much of a difference with EQ on whether it was Audyessy or ARC for you vs off?

Using REW measurements, pre- and post-Audyssey graphs show quite a bit of improvement.
post #1356 of 3321 Old 03-04-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Using REW measurements, pre- and post-Audyssey graphs show quite a bit of improvement.

I should have been more clear. I meant with regards to listing to a movie (or music) and not the graphs.
post #1357 of 3321 Old 03-04-2014, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok I found some charts comparing ARC MRX510 to Audyessy XT32 in a Denon X4000.

Ignore the sub 80 Hz for the green ARC line as I think I was experimenting with the sub at that time.

I did not use a calibrated mic so that level of accuracy is not in these charts.

Yellow is with Audyessy, green with ARC and orange with ARC max EQ set at 200 Hz. Ignore the white line as that is the measurement line.

Worst "looking" line looks like the orange one BUT it is also the best sounding line too. I believe that is so because, perhaps, from about 200 Hz and above one is correcting the speaker's response (maybe making the sound worse?? or maybe better) and from 200 Hz and below one is correcting the sound (making the sound much better and definitely not worse). I actually think one has to experiment and change EQ max to maybe test higher than 200 Hz to see what works best for them. I have not tested beyond 200 Hz yet other then testing at 5000 Hz but will do so in future.

None of these line are flat. Yes that is mainly due to the way ARC and Audyessy work each trying to do some kind of averaging.

Measurement taken close to the MLP and from centre channel using wideband pink noise.

post #1358 of 3321 Old 03-05-2014, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I'm giving up on the PBK for my new sub1. I've just spent the last hour and half trying to get past the failed to initialise audio measurement error both on my laptop that runs ARC flawlessly or my HTPC. Regardless of one running win 8 and other win 7. No searches online yield anything useful. So to get on with ARC so I can get on with my evening, sort some dinner and start listening!

EDIT: Murphy's law! 30 secs after posting I unplugged the mic from HTPC and tried to connect one last time and it now works..

post #1359 of 3321 Old 03-05-2014, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok after getting the PBK to work no prob I've now gone to do a fresh ARC run. Except I've just come across the most infuriating issue to date. All of a sudden the ARC test tone levels have gone down to a whisper! Nothing will correct them. Master volume has no impact. Also manual selection of test tones is once again not working as I experience last week. This has pretty much ruined what was meant to be an enjoyable night with the new sub1. I'm so angry right now it's beyond words. Starting to feel this anthem gear is pretty damn flakey frankly frown.gif

EDIT: another edit due to what I'm putting down to flakey behavior in the MRX. I stopped to make dinner and then came back to have yet another attempt to get normal ARC tones. This time it played at normal volume.. Go figure.

post #1360 of 3321 Old 03-05-2014, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

Ok after getting the PBK to work no prob I've now gone to do a fresh ARC run. Except I've just come across the most infuriating issue to date. All of a sudden the ARC test tone levels have gone down to a whisper! Nothing will correct them. Master volume has no impact. Also manual selection of test tones is once again not working as I experience last week. This has pretty much ruined what was meant to be an enjoyable night with the new sub1. I'm so angry right now it's beyond words. Starting to feel this anthem gear is pretty damn flakey frankly frown.gif

EDIT: another edit due to what I'm putting down to flakey behavior in the MRX. I stopped to make dinner and then came back to have yet another attempt to get normal ARC tones. This time it played at normal volume.. Go figure.

ARC did the same thing to me once in the middle of measuring. Was on #4 of 7 measuring points and the tone level dropped just like Oz said. Had to reboot & start back from the beginning and it worked ok. It seems like sometimes these MRX's need a reboot.
post #1361 of 3321 Old 03-05-2014, 07:19 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Loss of volume could also mean the MRX has triggered output protection. Check both ends of all speaker cables for shorts. Even one stray hair of wire touching the wrong thing is enough.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1362 of 3321 Old 03-05-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2190 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
Quote:

3) Although achieving a clean response curve from any speaker is certainly a good thing, the most important thing that ARC does is clean up the transition through the bass region between the main speakers and the subwoofer(s), despite whatever the room's bass response characteristics are doing to screw that up. There isn't really a good way to display that in frequency response charts.

Bob, I must be misunderstanding you. I agree entirely that the response at the splice is very important and that a good room EQ system should do its best to make that a smooth transition.  What I am struggling with is your comment that there isn't a good way to display the smoothness of the response around the XO region. Surely independent measuring of the R&L plus subs and/or C channel plus subs, post EQ, will show whether the splice is effectively smooth or not?  And if it shows that it is not, then one can take manual measures to intervene to make it smooth/flat, by, for example, adjusting subwoofer distance settings (delays) relative to the main speakers. I even compiled a report showing the procedure and the resulting graphs (which I attach for anyone who is interested).  What am I missing wrt to your comment?

Audyssey Sub Distance Tweak Procedure.pdf 986k .pdf file  

post #1363 of 3321 Old 03-05-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

With 4 Subs, for example, you need to get Phase adjusted for each of the Subs prior to taking the Measurement since ARC hears them playing as a set. Phase is a function of distance, so when you set the average distance of the Subs as the sole distance value you then need to adjust Phase of each sub to be in alignment with the Mains. (When each Sub is aligned with the Mains for Phase then they are also aligned with each other.)

The significant amount of work prior to calibrating seems to be at odds with the concept of an automated room EQ system. Having to set delays and levels for subs manually, prior to running the automated room EQ system seems to be a retrograde step to me. If ARC was able to set levels and distances for two subs independently and then EQ them as one, this would overcome all this initial messing about. Four subs is trickier, but still much easier if they can be considered as two pairs of subs, which is eminently possible if they are identical models and (each pair) located equidistant from the MLP. I am surprised that ARC is only able to deal effectively with a single sub as so many people have discovered the benefits of multiple subs nowadays, especially those who are likely to use gear of the calibre of the Anthem units.

AustinJerry likes this.
post #1364 of 3321 Old 03-05-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

...  What am I missing wrt to your comment?
As far as I understand the graphs there is only a projection of EQed result per speaker - not the real thing post processing. A projection of combined curves might be a little too way off the real thing for Anthems taste and also questionable in use I guess.
Quote:

...I am surprised that ARC is only able to deal effectively with a single sub as so many people have discovered the benefits of multiple subs nowadays...
+1, just what I think as well. However, if I understand their magic black box ARC right the EQ capabilities are not meant for phase/subwoofer distance correction, these things shall rather be corrected "manually and physically" as it is an easy thing to do and additional EQing on separate LFEs wouldn't gain any substantial benefits, now would it?
never tried 4 subs though eek.gif
post #1365 of 3321 Old 03-05-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post

Quote:

...  What am I missing wrt to your comment?
As far as I understand the graphs there is only a projection of EQed result per speaker - not the real thing post processing. A projection of combined curves might be a little too way off the real thing for Anthems taste and also questionable in use I guess.

I'm referring to independent measurements used in assessing the response around the splice and then improving it.  No automated room EQ system that I am aware of measures the combined response of the subs and the mains, so the adjustment around the XO frequency is always going to be a best guess. 

The calculated 'after' graphs serve no purpose AFAIAC other than to massage the expectations of the user. Calculated graphs have been shown many times to bear little relationship to the actual measured response post-EQ, and usually they are so smoothed as to render them less than informative anyway.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

...I am surprised that ARC is only able to deal effectively with a single sub as so many people have discovered the benefits of multiple subs nowadays...
+1, just what I think as well. However, if I understand their magic black box ARC right the EQ capabilities are not meant for phase/subwoofer distance correction, these things shall rather be corrected "manually and physically" as it is an easy thing to do and additional EQing on separate LFEs wouldn't gain any substantial benefits, now would it?
never tried 4 subs though eek.gif

I don't agree that getting phase relationships between the subs and/or subs and mains is "an easy thing to do". Especially with multiple subs.  There is no purpose in EQing multiple subs individually, I agree - they have to be EQd when all playing together to take account of their relationship with the room, with the mains and with each other

post #1366 of 3321 Old 03-05-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I have received a reply from Anthem technical support with regards to the HDMI issues I have been experiencing, as well as the 4K up-conversion/pass-through question.  They have decided that my unit likely has a defective HDMI subsystem, and have recommended returning the 510, which I have now done.

They tested 4K up-conversion in their lab, and they say it is working as advertised, which is one more indication that my 510 had some issues.

post #1367 of 3321 Old 03-05-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have received a reply from Anthem technical support with regards to the HDMI issues I have been experiencing, as well as the 4K up-conversion/pass-through question.  They have decided that my unit likely has a defective HDMI subsystem, and have recommended returning the 510, which I have now done.

They tested 4K up-conversion in their lab, and they say it is working as advertised, which is one more indication that my 510 had some issues.

Oh dear. 

I hope that yours was a one-off fault then and it isn't affecting lots of MRX 510 owners. The fact that someone has the same unit and the same BD player as you, but had no HDMI problems, points to a fault, but I hope it isn't in a whole batch of 510s.  

It’s a great pity that this news has only come after you'd already boxed the unit up for return.  I wonder what kind of HDMI subsystem fault can affect one of your sources but not another?  IIRC your HDMI sources all worked correctly other than the Oppo 103 and the Apple TV?

post #1368 of 3321 Old 03-05-2014, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I was perplexed and disappointed as well.  Since no one else has experienced HDMI issues, I am leaning toward a defective unit.  I kept getting magenta displays as well, requiring me to power-cycle the equipment.  I am actually quite good at applying the process of elimination, and I certainly gave it a 110% effort to get to root cause.

During the last several days, Oppo tech support was overwhelmingly supportive, even providing a beta FW update.  Anthem support was somewhat less responsive, asking questions like "did you swap the cable"?

No where in any of my responses have I said that I didn't find the sound with Anthem/ARC very pleasing.  In the short time I had the MRX510, I spent quite a bit of time listening to music.  I have a Sonos system, so music listening was unaffected by the HDMI issues with the Oppo and Apple TV.  I found music to be quite engaging.  Listening to satellite TV was equally pleasant, with crystal-clear center channel dialog.  Did I find ARC better than Audyssey?  Unfortunately, it is too difficult to form an opinion after such short exposure.  I think both deliver excellent sound, so that has to be my final opinion.

Going beyond sound quality for a moment, I must say that the MRX AVR's lack some configurability and ease of use features that I sorely missed.  Not being able to save user configuration data?  No excuse.  Not having full-featured per-input customization?  Needs to be fixed.  No 4K up-scaling?  Important to me.  I could go on, but I would have excused many of these shortcomings had there been no HDMI issues.

I was just catching up on recent posts and your post caught my eye talking about the magenta display.  Holy cow!!!  This just happened to me last night, but I thought it was a fluke!  I powered everything up put a BD in my OPPO BDP-103 and when it started the previews it was all magenta in colors.  I thought my TV was going out.  I powered down the OPPO and everything was fine after that.  This was the first time I have seen this since all my equipment is three weeks old.

Samsung 65 F7100

MRX-310

Oppo BDP-103

I am doing HDMI pass through as well.  If it happens again, I will try changing the HDMI input options to see if anything resets the magenta picture.  So the real question is,,,is it the oppo or the MRX or both together?

Samsung 65" F7100
Anthem MRX-310 (5.1)
Oppo BDP-103
Von Schweikert - VR-2 main,. LCR-15 Center
Def Tech. - Pro Monitor 800 Surrounds
HSU - VTF-2 MK2 Sub

post #1369 of 3321 Old 03-05-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Loss of volume could also mean the MRX has triggered output protection. Check both ends of all speaker cables for shorts. Even one stray hair of wire touching the wrong thing is enough.
--Bob

Bob good point, however I run my MRX strictly as a preamp into my P5. So if its doing that it's def being flakey since the speaker terminals have never been touched.

I finally finished about 9:30pm last night. During my initial listening, which was for about 2 hrs of general viewing of 5.1 material, my thoughts pretty much straight out are that either running the PBK before ARC over EQ's my setup or leaving the phase adjustment at factory default isn't a good thing. The sub 1 simply wasn't contributing nearly as much as my Revel B15, which really makes no sense given the Sub 1's capabilities. So now I'll prob go back and see if it's not in phase with it's current factory setting or if PBK is being compounded to much when run before ARC. For the heck of it I had a listen to ARC with the sub cut off first at it's auto 160Hz setting, then 120Hz, then 80Hz. I didn't really discern massive differences between those cut off points. Main thing is there a night and day difference (not in a good way) between my system with the Revel the day before and Sub 1 in it yesterday.

post #1370 of 3321 Old 03-05-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sounds like it's not in phase with your mains or there something wrong in the calibration.

post #1371 of 3321 Old 03-05-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil 24 View Post

Sounds like it's not in phase with your mains or there something wrong in the calibration.

That's why I'm going to check phase. Calibration is identical otherwise to last one I did before I swapped subs, correct 80Hz cutoff for all other speakers, etc.. I've now done about 8 calibrations since first getting the MRX. There's not much to mess up with ARC generally.

post #1372 of 3321 Old 03-05-2014, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just replaced a Yamaha RXA830 with a MRX710. Are there any recommendations for ARC2 settings regarding speakers with built in subs? I have def tech towers front and rear.

My first ARC setup I checked the "full range" checkbox. I listened to some music and movies on HBO and it sounded fantastic-more defined center and more active surrounds.

I am kind of surprised that there isn't a separate ARC setup guide.

Here is the problem- I played a scene from Harts War with volume set at -5db and the receiver shut off. Tried another scene and it shut off again. I lowered the volume to -20 db and it didn't shut off. Volume level was good but bass pressure was less than what I had with the Yamaha.

Suggestions?

SR7009 Def Tech BP2004(front) CLR2300 (center) BP2006 (surrounds) Sonance VP62(surround back in ceiling)
Epson 8350 Vutec 103" screen
Control4
post #1373 of 3321 Old 03-05-2014, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstotland64 View Post

Just replaced a Yamaha RXA830 with a MRX710. Are there any recommendations for ARC2 settings regarding speakers with built in subs? I have def tech towers front and rear.

My first ARC setup I checked the "full range" checkbox. I listened to some music and movies on HBO and it sounded fantastic-more defined center and more active surrounds.

I am kind of surprised that there isn't a separate ARC setup guide.

Here is the problem- I played a scene from Harts War with volume set at -5db and the receiver shut off. Tried another scene and it shut off again. I lowered the volume to -20 db and it didn't shut off. Volume level was good but bass pressure was less than what I had with the Yamaha.

Suggestions?

Are you also using a separate sub? Have you tried the automatic ARC set up? Their ARC guide is not the best but it is not too hard to learn either.

Checking full range if you are not using a separate sub should be fine but also what are your EQ cut off and cross overs set too for your RF and LF?

The shutting down just means that you are pushing your MRX too hard most likely due to your RF and LF. Could also be issues with your EQ cut offs and cross overs. Can you post your ARC results here or upload your ARC file. You must zip your ARC file to upload it.
post #1374 of 3321 Old 03-05-2014, 11:01 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

The significant amount of work prior to calibrating seems to be at odds with the concept of an automated room EQ system. Having to set delays and levels for subs manually, prior to running the automated room EQ system seems to be a retrograde step to me. If ARC was able to set levels and distances for two subs independently and then EQ them as one, this would overcome all this initial messing about. Four subs is trickier, but still much easier if they can be considered as two pairs of subs, which is eminently possible if they are identical models and (each pair) located equidistant from the MLP. I am surprised that ARC is only able to deal effectively with a single sub as so many people have discovered the benefits of multiple subs nowadays, especially those who are likely to use gear of the calibre of the Anthem units.

Automated systems for setting distance and phase frequently produce poor results. They are too easily confused. The design decision with ARC is that it is better to burden the user with these manual steps than to risk incorrect results in an automated implementation.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1375 of 3321 Old 03-05-2014, 11:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Bob, I must be misunderstanding you. I agree entirely that the response at the splice is very important and that a good room EQ system should do its best to make that a smooth transition.  What I am struggling with is your comment that there isn't a good way to display the smoothness of the response around the XO region. Surely independent measuring of the R&L plus subs and/or C channel plus subs, post EQ, will show whether the splice is effectively smooth or not?  And if it shows that it is not, then one can take manual measures to intervene to make it smooth/flat, by, for example, adjusting subwoofer distance settings (delays) relative to the main speakers. I even compiled a report showing the procedure and the resulting graphs (which I attach for anyone who is interested).  What am I missing wrt to your comment?

Frequency response through the transition is only one aspect of what ARC is trying to accomplish in taming room response problems. Broadening the sweet spot is another significant element for example. Often the effort to "improve" ARC's result simply breaks other aspects of the solution.
--Bob

post #1376 of 3321 Old 03-05-2014, 11:12 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfi View Post

I was just catching up on recent posts and your post caught my eye talking about the magenta display.  Holy cow!!!  This just happened to me last night, but I thought it was a fluke!  I powered everything up put a BD in my OPPO BDP-103 and when it started the previews it was all magenta in colors.  I thought my TV was going out.  I powered down the OPPO and everything was fine after that.  This was the first time I have seen this since all my equipment is three weeks old.
Samsung 65 F7100
MRX-310
Oppo BDP-103
I am doing HDMI pass through as well.  If it happens again, I will try changing the HDMI input options to see if anything resets the magenta picture.  So the real question is,,,is it the oppo or the MRX or both together?

Shocking Pink video is a classic case of HDMI handshake failure. It means the two ends of the cable have failed to agree on whether RGB or YCbCr data format is in use. If the failure goes the other way the video becomes Ghastly Green.

HDMI always operates on the verge of failure, so if this is a rare event it is probably best just to force a new handshake to fix it and forget about it (e.g., change the MRX to a different Input and back). If it happens too often then you need to do the usual diagnosis regarding HDMI handshake failures -- such as upgrading cables.
--Bob

post #1377 of 3321 Old 03-06-2014, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post

Are you also using a separate sub? Have you tried the automatic ARC set up? Their ARC guide is not the best but it is not too hard to learn either.

Checking full range if you are not using a separate sub should be fine but also what are your EQ cut off and cross overs set too for your RF and LF?

The shutting down just means that you are pushing your MRX too hard most likely due to your RF and LF. Could also be issues with your EQ cut offs and cross overs. Can you post your ARC results here or upload your ARC file. You must zip your ARC file to upload it.

I do use a separate sub. It's an older M&K, MX 350. I'll try the auto setup tomorrow and post the file.

One other question. Prior to doing the manual ARC setup I set the crossover points in the MRX710 menu. Does that get overridden by ARC? Did I not have to make those settings at all since the same settings are in ARC.

SR7009 Def Tech BP2004(front) CLR2300 (center) BP2006 (surrounds) Sonance VP62(surround back in ceiling)
Epson 8350 Vutec 103" screen
Control4
post #1378 of 3321 Old 03-06-2014, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I've just come home start trying to work out the issue with my sub 1 set up. In the end my original diagnosis was correct, it was the PBK. I'd made a basic error last night as I could see behind the unit and got the controls back to front so PBK measured with incorrect phase. So I sorted those out and re ran PBK. Straight away the bass was vastly improved when tested with audio. After already having re ran yet another ARC, I went to do another run. Low and behold my old infuriating friend the test tone level reared its head again.. Now I have people coming over to watch a football game in about 20 mins and I can't do a final ARC run. Nothing pissing me off more than having new equipment on debut only to not be able to have it properly calibrated in the presence of visitors. So now either having left the MRX turned off while I write this solves it or I'll be running an ARC profile measured with an incorrectly PBK'd sub all night..grrr mad.gif

post #1379 of 3321 Old 03-06-2014, 01:46 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstotland64 View Post

One other question. Prior to doing the manual ARC setup I set the crossover points in the MRX710 menu. Does that get overridden by ARC? Did I not have to make those settings at all since the same settings are in ARC.

Those settings get ignored during ARC Measurement and replaced during ARC Upload.
--Bob

post #1380 of 3321 Old 03-06-2014, 04:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Frequency response through the transition is only one aspect of what ARC is trying to accomplish in taming room response problems. Broadening the sweet spot is another significant element for example. Often the effort to "improve" ARC's result simply breaks other aspects of the solution.
--Bob

Sure, but that wasn't what I asked. I bolded the question I asked above. My point is that there is a good way to display the smoothness of the response around the splice - a way used by every serious acoustician for years.

What one does with the information afterwards is a different thing. But my contention would be that unless ARC is 'perfect' then its results must be capable of improvement (as must the results of any automated room EQ).

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page