Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 2691 Old 03-16-2014, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When I am watching TV the only audio mode it allows me to use is "none". I was trying to change to All Channels but pressing mode and then up/down does nothing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 2691 Old 03-16-2014, 08:20 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbertha View Post

Hi all - just got an Anthem mrx510 - quick noob question please (forgive me)

Does the subwoofer connect via coax to the sub connection of the 7.1 CH MAIN PRE-OUT?

My previous amp was simply marked subwoofer so didn't have to think too hard on that smile.gif

Thanks!

Yes, your Sub has its own, built-in amplifier, so it connects to the Sub output in the pre-out set of the MRX -- i.e., the output jacks that would be used if you wanted to use an external power amp instead of the power amp built into the MRX. If your Sub has both "speaker level" and "line level" inputs, that connection goes to its "line level" (lower voltage) input.
--Bob
badbertha likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1623 of 2691 Old 03-16-2014, 08:25 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks Bob thats great smile.gif

"One Hundred and Forty Two so far - Fifty Eight to GO"
post #1624 of 2691 Old 03-16-2014, 09:48 AM

I can go into the input setup and change the aduio mode from none to "neo6, etc". but shouldnt I be able to do this by pressing mode on the remote as well?
post #1625 of 2691 Old 03-16-2014, 12:07 PM

Anyone want to have a look at my arc file? it seems like the beginning of a couple of the curves look a little wonky.
I have the mrx 710 with paradigm monitor 11s, 7s, center 3 and ultracube 12

frontleftandcenter.JPG 80k .JPG file
frontrightandsurroundright.JPG 82k .JPG file
surroundrightandsubwoofer.JPG 82k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frontleftandcenter.JPG (79.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg frontrightandsurroundright.JPG (82.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg surroundrightandsubwoofer.JPG (81.8 KB, 68 views)
post #1626 of 2691 Old 03-17-2014, 05:05 AM

Can anyone comment on whether the 1.1.6 beta firmware helps stop the popping when reciever switch input formats?
post #1627 of 2691 Old 03-17-2014, 06:59 AM

I have not noticed any popping when switching inputs with 1.1.7 beta.
post #1628 of 2691 Old 03-17-2014, 07:02 AM

I notice the popping now when watching a single input and the audio format changes. For example, when using PS3 and going into netflix, the audio pops when opening netflix and the audio codec changes. I remember reading people commenting on this and was wondering if the new firmware fixed it.
post #1629 of 2691 Old 03-17-2014, 09:49 AM

I have classified myself as a "challenged" MRX710 owner. Replacing a Pio Elite VSX-92TXH I expected a relatively easy transition to a better state of sonic bliss. Room space is approximately 12x20, 7.1, w/ Energy Take SAT's and Velodyne SPPL-1000R sub (w/option for 2 subs). I did not perform Sub pre-eq and kept in Sub Direct mode so sub would play all frequencies up to 200Hz. After careful speaker distance input and 5 point measurement my initial thoughts was a noticeable lack of bass integration with the SAT's on 2 channel or multi-channel material. I went through 4 Cal's and saved out. Trying different modes results appeared similar with (call me crazy) the setup sounding better with ARC disabled. Also, when switching modes it almost felt like sub bass output sometimes became absolutely nominal. I called Anthem and was immediately dispatched 1.1.7 beta. Went through the process again and results appear to be much better in Anthem and other DSP modes for all material. Other Info: Speaker levels are between 0 and +3 for each channel with Sub at -5. EQ Cutoffs, Front 110Hz, Center 90 Hz, Surrounds 110Hz, Backs 150Hz, Sub 70Hz. Max EQ Default (5000), Sub High Pass: Auto. One difference from other charts posted is the Sub Uncorrected in-room response (red line) is missing unless it is overlaid by the (Purple) Uncorrected response with Bass Management. Dolby Leveling & Volume are Off and Dynamic Range Control is Normal.
Any help to determine what I may be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated. From my prior experience with Pio MCACC advanced and the same set-up I achieved what appeared to be seamless integration between the SAT's(set to Large) and sub albeit not at the sonic clarity achieved by the MRX710.
post #1630 of 2691 Old 03-17-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgus View Post

I have classified myself as a "challenged" MRX710 owner. Replacing a Pio Elite VSX-92TXH I expected a relatively easy transition to a better state of sonic bliss. Room space is approximately 12x20, 7.1, w/ Energy Take SAT's and Velodyne SPPL-1000R sub (w/option for 2 subs). I did not perform Sub pre-eq and kept in Sub Direct mode so sub would play all frequencies up to 200Hz. After careful speaker distance input and 5 point measurement my initial thoughts was a noticeable lack of bass integration with the SAT's on 2 channel or multi-channel material. I went through 4 Cal's and saved out. Trying different modes results appeared similar with (call me crazy) the setup sounding better with ARC disabled. Also, when switching modes it almost felt like sub bass output sometimes became absolutely nominal. I called Anthem and was immediately dispatched 1.1.7 beta. Went through the process again and results appear to be much better in Anthem and other DSP modes for all material. Other Info: Speaker levels are between 0 and +3 for each channel with Sub at -5. EQ Cutoffs, Front 110Hz, Center 90 Hz, Surrounds 110Hz, Backs 150Hz, Sub 70Hz. Max EQ Default (5000), Sub High Pass: Auto. One difference from other charts posted is the Sub Uncorrected in-room response (red line) is missing unless it is overlaid by the (Purple) Uncorrected response with Bass Management. Dolby Leveling & Volume are Off and Dynamic Range Control is Normal.
Any help to determine what I may be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated. From my prior experience with Pio MCACC advanced and the same set-up I achieved what appeared to be seamless integration between the SAT's(set to Large) and sub albeit not at the sonic clarity achieved by the MRX710.

1. I would re-ARC after you turn down the sub volume on the sub a few clicks to get it within +/- 3dB. It made a difference on my system going from -5dB to -1dB correction on the sub. 

2. What were the ARC recommended cutoffs? Seems like you have a gap in your cutoffs between 70 and 110Hz that would explain poor integration.

post #1631 of 2691 Old 03-17-2014, 11:28 AM

I will try bringing down the sub level as suggest and re-arc. The ARC EQ Cutoffs, Front 110Hz, Center 90 Hz, Surrounds 110Hz, Backs 150Hz, Sub 70Hz. Receiver software reports LPF/LFE as 120 hz. Thanks Ajswinter
post #1632 of 2691 Old 03-17-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:

I will try bringing down the sub level as suggest and re-arc. The ARC EQ Cutoffs, Front 110Hz, Center 90 Hz, Surrounds 110Hz, Backs 150Hz, Sub 70Hz. Receiver software reports LPF/LFE as 120 hz. Thanks Ajswinter

Seems to me that you have a problem with the sub's output at the higher frequencies. Try using Anthem's Quick Measure to locate a better spot for the sub so ARC does not have to cut it off at 70Hz. Find a spot/orientation that can support 100 - 110 if possible.

post #1633 of 2691 Old 03-17-2014, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
+1 your sub response is uncorrected over 70 and your main under 110 leaving an area of 40Hz uncorrected. This is probably the reason for poor integration

post #1634 of 2691 Old 03-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Typically, this would be due to leaving the internal Crossover enabled inside the Sub. You want to disable or bypass any internal crossover in the Sub.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1635 of 2691 Old 03-17-2014, 03:02 PM

When running ARC what phase should I dial on? I currently have the cutoff all the way and the level at about half on my ultracube 12

Man, I have a lot of questions.......
post #1636 of 2691 Old 03-17-2014, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have had my 710 set up for about 9 days.........sounds great. I did not run ARC yet because I am getting some replacement speakers this week (I hope).

I have an issue that may be a deal breaker and wanted some comments. I have been using Sennheiser RS-126 II wireless headphones for the last 3 years or so. I first used them with my Denon AVR-3808 and then with my Onkyo TX-NR3009 and they worked great with both.

As soon as I plugged them into my 710 I could hear a humming noise in the background that is not present on any of the other equipment in my house. It sounds like the 710 transformer.......or something from the 710 and is not an issue of the Headphone not being tuned properly.

I then tried my Sennheiser wired HD 440 II and cannot hear any issues. I tried all possible tuning adjustments on the RS 126's and cannot get rid of the hum noise.

I even bought a set of Sennheiser RS 170's a few days ago as I was wanting to try them anyway and thought they may solve any issue.........maybe a simple incompatibility with the 126's.............but I can still hear a hum with them too......not as much as the 126's though.

I don't see any reason for not being able to use wireless phones with the 710 when there is not an issue with any other equipment in my house.

It seems like there may be a design issue with the 710 or my unit may be defective. I told the dealer about it right away but have not contacted Anthem yet. I will contact Anthem tomorrow and see if they can replicate the issue.
post #1637 of 2691 Old 03-18-2014, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonT35 View Post

If I want to run my sub a little hot, where is best to make this adjustment? Room gain in the arc software or raising the sub trim level in the main menu of the mrx? Or somewhere else?

Isn't using room gain going to raise the bass level of all the speakers? I guess this is fine if that's what you want, but otherwise I'd do it in the sub trim levels.
post #1638 of 2691 Old 03-18-2014, 06:42 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yes, Room Gain will affect all speakers, but of course the primary impact will be in the Sub given typical Crossover values for the mains. The reason for doing the adjustment via Room Gain, is that it lets ARC maintain the blending balance between the mains and the Sub.
--Bob

post #1639 of 2691 Old 03-18-2014, 06:49 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmex55 View Post

When running ARC what phase should I dial on? I currently have the cutoff all the way and the level at about half on my ultracube 12

Man, I have a lot of questions.......

If you only have 1 Sub, then Phase doesn't matter during ARC Measurement. You can adjust Phase after Uploading your ARC solution and the solution will just work better. Be careful not to change the Sub's Volume or Crossover knob settings while doing this. Similarly, you can set speaker distances after the fact without invalidating your ARC solution.

If you have more than 1 Sub, set distances for all speakers (use the average of the distances for your set of Subs), get the set of Subs in volume balance with each other and with the mains (i.e., via the internal test tones), and then, with one Sub powered at a time, adjust each Sub in turn to be in proper Phase with the mains. There are test tracks on calibration discs for this, or you can simply tune FM to the hiss between stations (set to Stereo output so that only LF/RF/Sub are live for output) and adjust each Sub in turn to maximize the bass component of that hiss. When each Sub is in proper Phase with the Mains then they are also in proper Phase with each other. Then power all the Subs back up again as a set and do your ARC Measurement pass. ARC will hear all the Subs playing together and thus will hear the affects of their relative Phase adjustment as part of the combined Sub output it needs to correct.
--Bob

post #1640 of 2691 Old 03-18-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

If you only have 1 Sub, then Phase doesn't matter during ARC Measurement. You can adjust Phase after Uploading your ARC solution and the solution will just work better. Be careful not to change the Sub's Volume or Crossover knob settings while doing this. Similarly, you can set speaker distances after the fact without invalidating your ARC solution.

If you have more than 1 Sub, set distances for all speakers (use the average of the distances for your set of Subs), get the set of Subs in volume balance with each other and with the mains (i.e., via the internal test tones), and then, with one Sub powered at a time, adjust each Sub in turn to be in proper Phase with the mains. There are test tracks on calibration discs for this, or you can simply tune FM to the hiss between stations (set to Stereo output so that only LF/RF/Sub are live for output) and adjust each Sub in turn to maximize the bass component of that hiss. When each Sub is in proper Phase with the Mains then they are also in proper Phase with each other. Then power all the Subs back up again as a set and do your ARC Measurement pass. ARC will hear all the Subs playing together and thus will hear the affects of their relative Phase adjustment as part of the combined Sub output it needs to correct.
--Bob

Thanks Bob!

Did you happen to have a look at my graphs, it seems like I have a dip at the begining of my subwoofer graph. Could this be placement issue?

Thanks again for the response
post #1641 of 2691 Old 03-18-2014, 02:19 PM

Hi there,

I'm an mrx710 owner, and have received today a sub (svs pb2000)
My system is only 4.1, but I prefer it that way.

What brought me here today, is that I'm not happy with the bass results I get with the 710.

With or without Anthem correction, I found bass levels very low.
I don't have a sound meter, but maybe during Arc measurement, the subwoofer level is not correctly identified.
Does it seem possible to you ?

Here's my graphs just in case.

Thanks for you help
post #1642 of 2691 Old 03-18-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmex55 View Post

Anyone want to have a look at my arc file? it seems like the beginning of a couple of the curves look a little wonky.
I have the mrx 710 with paradigm monitor 11s, 7s, center 3 and ultracube 12

frontleftandcenter.JPG 80k .JPG file
frontrightandsurroundright.JPG 82k .JPG file
surroundrightandsubwoofer.JPG 82k .JPG file

Can anyone help explain why the start of my subwoofer graph starts so low rather than up at 70db. I have tried moving it to no avail.

Also, when I am doing a quick measure, after a while the start of the graph end up at 70db. This allows me to think I have found the correct settings. When I close out the quick measure and start it again its abck down to 45db. Cant figure out why
post #1643 of 2691 Old 03-18-2014, 03:31 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Your Sub is good down to about 25Hz. That's actually pretty normal for most "home theater" subs, which tend to be rated down to something in the to 20 to 30Hz range. There are subs that will go another octave deeper, down to 15Hz, but they tend to be larger and more expensive. Check the specs on your Sub.

If you look at the frequency scale on your Sub chart you'll see where it starts to drop significantly below the basic volume level of the solution (e.g., compare to the flat part of the Surround chart mid to high frequencies).

Now if you think your Sub SHOULD be good to lower frequencies the most common reason you wouldn't get that is if the Sub is physically too small for the room. You have to huff a lot of air to pressurize a room at 15Hz.

Another possibility is if your Sub has "Boundary Gain" compensation -- often switch selectable. This attenuates the natural increase in lowest frequencies that happens when the Sub is positioned against a wall or in a corner. If you have that turned on, then turn it off in the Sub. Indeed if your Sub is NOT positioned against a wall or in a corner, you might get some modest additional extension there by placing it closer to such a reflecting surface. The Quick Measure Tool in ARC will let you experiment with such positioning adjustments fairly quickly.

The bass below 30Hz is more felt than heard. It's certainly worth going after, but the bottom line is you may need a better Sub to get there.
--Bob

post #1644 of 2691 Old 03-18-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:

^ Your Sub is good down to about 25Hz. That's actually pretty normal for most "home theater" subs, which tend to be rated down to something in the to 20 to 30Hz range. There are subs that will go another octave deeper, down to 15Hz, but they tend to be larger and more expensive. Check the specs on your Sub.

If you look at the frequency scale on your Sub chart you'll see where it starts to drop significantly below the basic volume level of the solution (e.g., compare to the flat part of the Surround chart mid to high frequencies).

Now if you think your Sub SHOULD be good to lower frequencies the most common reason you wouldn't get that is if the Sub is physically too small for the room. You have to huff a lot of air to pressurize a room at 15Hz.

Another possibility is if your Sub has "Boundary Gain" compensation -- often switch selectable. This attenuates the natural increase in lowest frequencies that happens when the Sub is positioned against a wall or in a corner. If you have that turned on, then turn it off in the Sub. Indeed if your Sub is NOT positioned against a wall or in a corner, you might get some modest additional extension there by placing it closer to such a reflecting surface. The Quick Measure Tool in ARC will let you experiment with such positioning adjustments fairly quickly.

The bass below 30Hz is more felt than heard. It's certainly worth going after, but the bottom line is you may need a better Sub to get there.
--Bob

my subs low frequency extension is 19Hz, so I guess the graph makes sense.
post #1645 of 2691 Old 03-19-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:

^ Typically, this would be due to leaving the internal Crossover enabled inside the Sub. You want to disable or bypass any internal crossover in the Sub.
--Bob
Thank You Ajswinter, Red Devil 24, and Bob P for your thoughts. I did some additional research on the Velo SPL-1000R sub and will reset to factory default to absolutely assure disabling it's internal xover. Then familiarize myself with Quick Measure to optimize positioning before redoing the room correction.
post #1646 of 2691 Old 03-19-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Thank You Ajswinter, Red Devil 24, and Bob P for your thoughts. I did some additional research on the Velo SPL-1000R sub and will reset to factory default to absolutely assure disabling it's internal xover. Then familiarize myself with Quick Measure to optimize positioning before redoing the room correction.

I used quick measure this week and it's pretty slick. My only issue is moving my sub...it's 125 lbs....next time, I'll put it on a dolly (about same height as my sub stand) and move it around that way. During the quick measure, you will get a repeating test tone with graphing to show you what the current placement results are. I came to realize, I would get slightly better results on the other side of my couch (not by much), but it throws off the whole feng shui of the room. biggrin.gif

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #1647 of 2691 Old 03-19-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

I used quick measure this week and it's pretty slick. My only issue is moving my sub...it's 125 lbs....next time, I'll put it on a dolly (about same height as my sub stand) and move it around that way. During the quick measure, you will get a repeating test tone with graphing to show you what the current placement results are. I came to realize, I would get slightly better results on the other side of my couch (not by much), but it throws off the whole feng shui of the room. biggrin.gif

Furniture sliders are great for moving heavy subs around. They're an absolute must have for my 230lb PSA Triax! eek.gif

post #1648 of 2691 Old 03-19-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Furniture sliders are great for moving heavy subs around. They're an absolute must have for my 230lb PSA Triax! eek.gif

LOL-can't imagine moving that 230lb beast. Great idea, thanks for the suggestion. What the measusurements really told me was I need a second JTR captivator. wink.gif

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #1649 of 2691 Old 03-19-2014, 01:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

. . . .

"Besides, your A-cow-sticks are all wrong! Raise the ceiling 6 inches -- move the fireplace from THAT wall to THAT wall.
But you'll still only get the stereophonic effect from inside the bottom of that cupboard!"
Flanders & Swan, "A Song of Reproduction"

--Bob

post #1650 of 2691 Old 03-19-2014, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Considering the MRX-510 and 710… are they still going for list price? I live in the SF Bay Area, so a fair number of dealers around… PM me if you've had luck with a specific dealer and pricing anthem products in NorCal. Thanks.

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page