Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 2942 Old 03-31-2014, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. I was wondering if the Anthem really does sound better... but a few people sure say it does... hard to decide after reading this thread: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/amps-pre-pros-receivers/78430-anthem-mrx-700-yamaha-rx-a3010.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 2942 Old 03-31-2014, 06:37 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mml7 View Post

I agree with what OzHDHT said; It all depends upon what you're looking for. For me, I am far more interested in sound than the networking features of other AVRs. The Anthem sounds noticeably better to me than my old Rotel Preamp/Processor. which sounded a lot better than my old Adcom preamp. If I really want or need networking features, my TV, BluRay player and Apple TV all have them. smile.gif

........and all for around 100 bucks;)

post #1713 of 2942 Old 04-01-2014, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PannTher View Post

Thanks. I was wondering if the Anthem really does sound better... but a few people sure say it does... hard to decide after reading this thread: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/amps-pre-pros-receivers/78430-anthem-mrx-700-yamaha-rx-a3010.html
the problem is there are so many variations in rooms and setups out there - not to mention personal audio preferences - that you'll find die hard defenders for almost any brand or tech. Propably for every component there is a perfect match and happy customer out there, at least for the brands still in business wink.gif
So If not possible to decide yourself because of own "subjective" test listening, you can either go with the masses and trends of opinions raised or try to belive in "experts" opinions and graphs and numbers while not having experience whether these number are true or relevant for you personally at all. Nothing beats own experience IMO to find your place on the Gaussian curve for that question. Happy decision making biggrin.gif
post #1714 of 2942 Old 04-01-2014, 09:23 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobAd View Post

See post # 461. To me, the 710 was definitely an upgrade in sound and picture quality over the 500. Besides, I needed more HDMI inputs! smile.gif

Thank you Bob for that reference to your enlightening post. Wow, the comparative charts are quite a contrast. The 710 results are much improved over the 500. Nothing changed in the listening environment ? Must be obvious comparative listening as well ? Good job with the comparative charts, good idea man.

Thanks again ...

Any additional comments you may have related to the 500, vs 710. Am seriously considering the 710, having been a 500 user for three years.
post #1715 of 2942 Old 04-01-2014, 04:21 PM

I installed a MRX 510 in my system today and thought I would post my impressions.

Related Equipment:

Studio 60 V3
CC 570 V3
ADP 390
SVS PB12 Plus in 20hz mode

ATI 1505 amplifier

This is set up in a 5.1 system.

The unit seems well built and is attractive to me. The display is large enough to be read from 12 ft away. The menus work well and the setup was a breeze. The video pass through seems to work well and I cant see any degradation in the signal.

The MRX replaced a Onkyo TX-NR1007 that I have been using for the last 4 or 5 years. I am familiar with Audyssey MultiEQ XT and used it along with dynamic EQ for the entire time I owned the Onkyo. When using Dynamic EQ, the Onkyo was a basshead's dream in my opinion. The rudimentry frequency response mapping that I did with the Onkyo showed a really strong bottom end. This sounded good when casually listening to music in the background but sometimes was over the top when watching tv. My wife constantly complained that the bass was overpowering and I have to admit the bass did sound a bit bloated to me. With Dynamic EQ off the bass during action movies was almost anemic.

This brings me to the ARC implementation in the MRX I suppose. I ran the automated version with 5 position measurement and uploaded the results.Then I sat down for a listen and at first I thought that it was lean sounding, but I gave it a few minutes and went through several different scenes from some old LFE monsters like Jurassic Park and Titan A.E. and I can say the LFE in my room is now better than any time prior to this point. It is super tight and controlled and the soundfield seems huge.

I still have some tweaking to do and I am having a problem with 480i video via component from my old Sony ES changer being squished int a 4:3 aspect ratio by the MRX. But the unit is a keeper.
post #1716 of 2942 Old 04-01-2014, 04:50 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by _stranger View Post

Thank you Bob for that reference to your enlightening post. Wow, the comparative charts are quite a contrast. The 710 results are much improved over the 500. Nothing changed in the listening environment ? Must be obvious comparative listening as well ? Good job with the comparative charts, good idea man.

Thanks again ...

Any additional comments you may have related to the 500, vs 710. Am seriously considering the 710, having been a 500 user for three years.

Listening environment was exactly the same - just swapped out the units and ran ARC in same(similar) spots as 500. Subjectively, I found the sound of the 710 to have tighter bass, and be more open in the mids and highs. Video seemed to also be more crisp, and the hdmi handshake time seemed improved. I also like the greater flexibility in assigning inputs. The new version of ARC seemed to do a better job of "taming" the response in my center channel, which remained problematic with the 500. It definitely increased my enjoyment of my media. Hope this helps!
post #1717 of 2942 Old 04-01-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post

the problem is there are so many variations in rooms and setups out there - not to mention personal audio preferences - that you'll find die hard defenders for almost any brand or tech. Propably for every component there is a perfect match and happy customer out there, at least for the brands still in business wink.gif
So If not possible to decide yourself because of own "subjective" test listening, you can either go with the masses and trends of opinions raised or try to belive in "experts" opinions and graphs and numbers while not having experience whether these number are true or relevant for you personally at all. Nothing beats own experience IMO to find your place on the Gaussian curve for that question. Happy decision making biggrin.gif

Thanks very much for that info.

I appreciate it.

I'll keep my current receiver.

Thanks again!
post #1718 of 2942 Old 04-01-2014, 10:09 PM

Liked: 11
Yes, yes it does thank you...

I have been craving a replacement for the MRX500 I have recently sold. Utilized it for three years, time for a change now. Still going to stay with Anthem in my main HT system. Anthem make very very good products, good reputation, in my opinion. The support, service, and products ..

Many changes to the latest MRX710. Good decisions for improvement, In my opinion ..
post #1719 of 2942 Old 04-02-2014, 12:40 PM

Got a problem with CEC. TV is a recent model Samsung LED and the appropriate Anynet option is on. Correct arc enabled input selected. CEC is on in the receiver. I have removed and reinserted the cables yet no sound. Anyone else having this problem or have a suggestion?

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
post #1720 of 2942 Old 04-02-2014, 02:36 PM

Liked: 12
I have an mrx 510 and a samsung f8500. When experimenting with cec my audio completely disappeared. Optical inputs would show on the MRX but nothing was heard. HDMI inputs were not shown or heard. The only way I was able to fix it was by factory resetting the MRX.

I reproduced this problem 3 times before I decided I hated anynet and just left CEC off.
post #1721 of 2942 Old 04-02-2014, 07:21 PM

Liked: 15
CEC is finicky on a bunch of AVR's. I leave it off as well.

post #1722 of 2942 Old 04-02-2014, 10:20 PM

The audio disappeared on mine as well. it was a worrying 30 minutes until I figured out that CEC was still on in the receiver. Never had such a wild reaction to playing around with CEC before. Seems like a very poor implementation.

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
post #1723 of 2942 Old 04-03-2014, 04:55 AM

Liked: 22
My 310 glitched the other day when I turned it on and the audio disappeared as well. I think that it was an HDMI handshaking problem but I am/was not using CEC. I wasn't able to resolve it until I performed a factory reset. Other than having to reprogram the labels on my inputs, it's a great thing to be able to upload my ARC settings from the computer
post #1724 of 2942 Old 04-04-2014, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hey folks, I have a question about Zone 2 operation. I'm comparing an MX510 to my previous top contender, the Denon X4000. I suspect both will suit me well with the Anthem edging out the Denon on sound quality while the Denon packs more features and has (maybe) a less great room correction (though I don't have any windows machines so that's a mild hassle). I'm replacing an aging Yamaha DSP-A1.

So the question is ... I have both HDMI and speaker wire running to my second zone. Can I send both HDMI AV *and* line-level audio out to the second zone? Sometimes we use TV, sometimes we just use audio but we would almost always want amplified sound. This, BTW, is a +1 for the Denon which seems to offer more amplified channels that I could repurpose for this use and avoid having to use an outboard amplified (though it is also not clear to me if I can send both HDMI and speaker level outputs for the second zone concurrently).

Any thoughts on this, or my comparison generally? I'm a little put-off by the bugs I see in this thread but by most accounts the 510 looks like quite a piece of kit.
post #1725 of 2942 Old 04-05-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breddy View Post

Hey folks, I have a question about Zone 2 operation. I'm comparing an MX510 to my previous top contender, the Denon X4000. I suspect both will suit me well with the Anthem edging out the Denon on sound quality while the Denon packs more features and has (maybe) a less great room correction (though I don't have any windows machines so that's a mild hassle). I'm replacing an aging Yamaha DSP-A1.

So the question is ... I have both HDMI and speaker wire running to my second zone. Can I send both HDMI AV *and* line-level audio out to the second zone? Sometimes we use TV, sometimes we just use audio but we would almost always want amplified sound. This, BTW, is a +1 for the Denon which seems to offer more amplified channels that I could repurpose for this use and avoid having to use an outboard amplified (though it is also not clear to me if I can send both HDMI and speaker level outputs for the second zone concurrently).

Any thoughts on this, or my comparison generally? I'm a little put-off by the bugs I see in this thread but by most accounts the 510 looks like quite a piece of kit.

I had the X4000 and used it for about 3 weeks and then returned it. It was very nice but did not give me the quality in sound that I was hopping for with Audyessy engaged. Audyessy was either on or off and treble control only worked on the front left and right speakers.

I then purchased the MRX 510 and it did a great job. One of the strongest features on the MRX 510 was the ability to limit the max EQ which made a huge difference for me. Also MRX 510 Quick Measure feature was very easy and useful to use too. I highly recommend the MRX 510.
Breddy likes this.
post #1726 of 2942 Old 04-06-2014, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post

I had the X4000 and used it for about 3 weeks and then returned it. It was very nice but did not give me the quality in sound that I was hopping for with Audyessy engaged. Audyessy was either on or off and treble control only worked on the front left and right speakers.

I then purchased the MRX 510 and it did a great job. One of the strongest features on the MRX 510 was the ability to limit the max EQ which made a huge difference for me. Also MRX 510 Quick Measure feature was very easy and useful to use too. I highly recommend the MRX 510.

This is really good to know and fits with my hunch about the difference between these 2 pieces.

Anyone know the answer to my question about the zone 2 on either unit?
post #1727 of 2942 Old 04-06-2014, 08:57 AM

Liked: 13
Auditioning an MRX-510 this weekend. After getting a little familiar with the unit, I reset to factory and ran ARC. The corrected curves were close/flat to target. No setting more than +/-3db and sub at 0db. I did change some of the crossover targets - moved my sub to 120 from 40 and raised my mains from 40 to 70. After calc I uploaded. My room is approx 4500 cu ft. The sound at moderate levels is quite spacious and detailed (around -25 to -20db is about right). As soon as I try to get ooomph things go wrong (around -12 to -10db). The front stage loses clarity. I'm not sure if this is an ARC thing or if the amps are running out of gas? Any suggestions? My Onkyo 809 did not seem to have this issue, but it never sounded as good at moderate levels.

Any thoughts as I only have about 5 hours later today to do more testing. I might just try a power amp for the mains (old Yamaha M-80 or MX-800) to see if that helps.
post #1728 of 2942 Old 04-06-2014, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breddy View Post

This is really good to know and fits with my hunch about the difference between these 2 pieces.

Anyone know the answer to my question about the zone 2 on either unit?

I can check tonight if no one else can answer

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
post #1729 of 2942 Old 04-06-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyp View Post

Auditioning an MRX-510 this weekend. After getting a little familiar with the unit, I reset to factory and ran ARC. The corrected curves were close/flat to target. No setting more than +/-3db and sub at 0db. I did change some of the crossover targets - moved my sub to 120 from 40 and raised my mains from 40 to 70. After calc I uploaded. My room is approx 4500 cu ft. The sound at moderate levels is quite spacious and detailed (around -25 to -20db is about right). As soon as I try to get ooomph things go wrong (around -12 to -10db). The front stage loses clarity. I'm not sure if this is an ARC thing or if the amps are running out of gas? Any suggestions? My Onkyo 809 did not seem to have this issue, but it never sounded as good at moderate levels.

Any thoughts as I only have about 5 hours later today to do more testing. I might just try a power amp for the mains (old Yamaha M-80 or MX-800) to see if that helps.

Try bringing the mains crossover point back down to 40 or 50hz, recalculate and then re-upload ARC. I found that ARC added more bass into the mix when I raised the main x-over up from the recommended level. I landed at 50 hz for my mains up from the recommended 40 hz because I loved the crisp sound at 40hz but wanted a touch more bass.

post #1730 of 2942 Old 04-06-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

"Moved my sub to 120 from 40". .?? Is 40 hz where ARC set your sub xover?? Never heard of ARC
Setting a sub so low...is the crossover dial on the back of your sub turned all the way to its highest number?
You should be careful about changing xover values in ARC..might get a good idea to post your charts
So we can see what is going on.
post #1731 of 2942 Old 04-06-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajswinter View Post

Try bringing the mains crossover point back down to 40 or 50hz, recalculate and then re-upload ARC. I found that ARC added more bass into the mix when I raised the main x-over up from the recommended level. I landed at 50 hz for my mains up from the recommended 40 hz because I loved the crisp sound at 40hz but wanted a touch more bass.

Thanks I'll give that a try. I'm trying to get more impact, but maintain the clarity/separation/openness. I am probably cursed due to my room size and lack of sound treatments.
post #1732 of 2942 Old 04-06-2014, 10:28 AM

Yes, sounds like the 510 is running out of juice. Try biamping and that will give you a clue as the LFs are usually the demanding bits.

post #1733 of 2942 Old 04-06-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokyc View Post

Yes, sounds like the 510 is running out of juice. Try biamping and that will give you a clue as the LFs are usually the demanding bits.

I don't think that is the issue, the sub xover at 40hz set by ARC is.
Bi-amping will have a negligible impact on what he is hearing
(More specifically not hearing)

If ARC set his sub xover at 40hz that means he has a large DB
Drop off (or null) above that point. Of course it could be as simple
As a xover dial on the back of the sub not set to its highest value.
post #1734 of 2942 Old 04-06-2014, 10:40 AM

I thought Lennyp has set the sub LPF to 120, and mains xover to 70Hz?

Distortion at high levels hint at clipping. LFs are usually the culprit. Hence diverting to sub reduces clipping and distortion. Biamping isolates the clipping to LFs and spares the HFs, hence sound better.

Its another way of confirming. Diverting LFs to sub could mean either the amp ran out of juice, or the speakers hit their design limits (distortion/max excursion).

Of course, using a power amp will answer the question much more definitively.

post #1735 of 2942 Old 04-06-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

"Moved my sub to 120 from 40". .?? Is 40 hz where ARC set your sub xover?? Never heard of ARC
Setting a sub so low...is the crossover dial on the back of your sub turned all the way to its highest number?
You should be careful about changing xover values in ARC..might get a good idea to post your charts
So we can see what is going on.

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking I should of just started at the suggested crossovers, but the crossovers looked odd to me. My sub settings are what they were adjusted for on my Onkyo when I ran Audyssey XT. It's a Rythmik FV15HP and I left the settings alone. I believe it is set to allow the receiver to control the crossover. I assume I have to remeasure if I change my sub settings ... I'll try to get my new charts posted.
post #1736 of 2942 Old 04-06-2014, 10:43 AM

The MRXs use different DSPs, so cutoffs and crossovers have slightly different meanings. Sub LPF at 120Hz should be ok although I left mine at 160Hz.

The main thing to play with are the main crossovers. I kind of set that according to the curves measurered. 80Hz is usually a good number. Higher if your speakers don't have such a good bass response.

Sub set to bypass is the best.

post #1737 of 2942 Old 04-06-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking I should of just started at the suggested crossovers, but the crossovers looked odd to me. My sub settings are what they were adjusted for on my Onkyo when I ran Audyssey XT. It's a Rythmik FV15HP and I left the settings alone. I believe it is set to allow the receiver to control the crossover. I assume I have to remeasure if I change my sub settings ... I'll try to get my new charts posted.

Use the ARC Quick Measure tool to position, tweak and confirm your sub settings before re-running arc. Also posting your ARC graphs helps us help you.

post #1738 of 2942 Old 04-06-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajswinter View Post

Use the ARC Quick Measure tool to position, tweak and confirm your sub settings before re-running arc. Also posting your ARC graphs helps us help you.

Sound advice. I will review my sub settings, then quick measure sub and try to improve measured response. I only have a little leeway placement-wise for this test. I do have some furniture that changed the room near the sub, so I might just remove it. I was hoping this would be a fairly quick audition to verify what I've read about the Anthems and determine if it has enough juice for my speakers (ADS L1290, 4 ADS L300, Kef 200c center). I don't have access to my charts right now.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far.
post #1739 of 2942 Old 04-06-2014, 03:04 PM

Here is an update. Spent quite a while trying to improve sub woofer positioning. Played with damping and finally got a better graph using quick measure. The numbers are totally different. I included links to the graphs.

Watched the start of Star Trek Into Darkness and it was much better. Got the couch shaking on the first volcano explosion and it was all clear sounding. Just added 1db to the L&RF because it was lacking. Have some more testing to do, but I'm thinking those mains might need something more. The rest seems fine.

Any thoughts on the charts. I have not changed the targets at this point.
post #1740 of 2942 Old 04-06-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is an update. Spent quite a while trying to improve sub woofer positioning. Played with damping and finally got a better graph using quick measure. The numbers are totally different. I included links to the graphs.

Watched the start of Star Trek Into Darkness and it was much better. Got the couch shaking on the first volcano explosion and it was all clear sounding. Just added 1db to the L&RF because it was lacking. Have some more testing to do, but I'm thinking those mains might need something more. The rest seems fine.

Any thoughts on the charts. I have not changed the targets at this point.

Your graphs including the sub look very good. I wouldn't lower the xover points
On any of the speakers except maybe the center. If you want a better (lower)
Freq response then you need to experiment with speaker placement/positioning.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page