Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1981 of 3321 Old 04-28-2014, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post

I suspect it is below 120hz that kills the amp.
So if mains are set at 80hz then 80-120hz is the no flying zone. biggrin.gif

It had my mains set at 80hz.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 3321 Old 04-28-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Peterson View Post

No, no option to get my money back :-(.

I'd seriously be escalating this with Anthem. mad.gif
LPBadge likes this.

post #1983 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 35
But then the question becomes...........does the escalator go anywhere..........??
post #1984 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post

But then the question becomes...........does the escalator go anywhere..........??

If Anthem wants to live up to it's reputation it better. wink.gif

I've been sitting on the sidelines contemplating whether or not to replace my AVM20 with an MRX. I must say reports here of bugs and service issues (as well as the lack of any official firmware fixes for some time) has me leaning towards not going with Anthem this time. frown.gif
Paul Peterson likes this.

post #1985 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 28

Audio blackout is absolutely normal when you connect a new device to the MRX, as it needs to remake the handshake (else your player would not know what kind of TV you have).

Funny thing is with this 710 power issues, that my 510 has none of these problems. I experimented in the past months, so there was a run with 5 db room gain. Combine that with the ELV1S 5.1 audio DVD (quite bass heavy), and I was in the (-5) - (-10) db range. That is with two Dyno A52SE fronts, (4 ohm, ouch, and 85 db sensitivity). I played at least three songs before stopping, thats ~ 12 minutes. No problems whatsoever, although ventilation turned on of course. A wild guess: maybe it's the voltage? I have 240V here, the last time I heard Canada was mostly 120V.

Regards: Barna.

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks
post #1986 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't have any power problems with my MRX-510.

I've had it up to 0 on the dial for close to 10 minutes without issue. This volume is unbearable for me though. My iPhone was showing over 103dB on an SPL meter app.

I quit long before my MRX does.
post #1987 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb0p View Post

I don't have any power problems with my MRX-510.

I've had it up to 0 on the dial for close to 10 minutes without issue. This volume is unbearable for me though. My iPhone was showing over 103dB on an SPL meter app.

I quit long before my MRX does.

Funny. I haven't turned it past -15, but I'm using a dedicated power amp with mine.
post #1988 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 12:27 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Peterson View Post

Had three friends over and everyone of them agreed that ARC took all of the life and sound out of the speakers when they were turned on.

For all of my music listening inputs, i have turned off 'arc' & 'process analog audio input'. To me music sounds much better with these two functions turned off, than turned on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax-jp View Post

Funny. I haven't turned it past -15, but I'm using a dedicated power amp with mine.

-25 is the loudest i've cranked my 510 up too... I thought that was loud enough, and had no need to be any louder...
Paul Peterson likes this.

PSN= Jamweiser
post #1989 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 12:37 PM

Liked: 14

I already said it earlier but yeah, the 710 for me is not different.  -25 is LOUD, -15 is EXTREMELY loud and feels like it is causing damage, and -5 is well beyond deafening

post #1990 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkake View Post

I already said it earlier but yeah, the 710 for me is not different.  -25 is LOUD, -15 is EXTREMELY loud and feels like it is causing damage, and -5 is well beyond deafening

Especially with Klipsch speakers! I may be wrong, but I thought the user in question had mentioned his Klipsch speakers were RF-7s which are rated at 102dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter .

Hearing loss would definitely be a concern at those high of volume levels.
post #1991 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamweiser View Post

For all of my music listening inputs, i have turned off 'arc' & 'process analog audio input'. To me music sounds much better with these two functions turned off, than turned on...
-25 is the loudest i've cranked my 510 up too... I thought that was loud enough, and had no need to be any louder...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Collins View Post

Especially with Klipsch speakers! I may be wrong, but I thought the user in question had mentioned his Klipsch speakers were RF-7s which are rated at 102dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter .

Hearing loss would definitely be a concern at those high of volume levels.

The reference levels on the 510 seem much louder than my onkyo 875, again, using the same Rotel RMB1565 dedicated amplifier. The onkyo, in the DB scale, we would push into the positive 5+ db range whereas I cannot see going close to 0 on the 510.

You also must take into account the size of the room and the listening distance from the speakers.

I'm currently running legacy signature 3's as my front mains. They're not normally my main speakers in my surround setup but I blew a crossover on my RS850s and I'm still breaking in the new crossovers. The legacies are 23 years old, rated at : 93 dB @ 2.83 V/1m, The RS850's are 6 years old, rated at 90.5dB @ 1 watt / 1 meter. Again, I'm not using the internal amp. The Rotel is more powerful than the internal amplifier on the 510 (especially all channels driven) and the legacies are 4 ohm speakers whereas the 850's are 6 ohm speakers.

Playing music, in 2 channel or all channel stereo, I've never turned it past -20. Reason being, music is generally continuous audio output, whereas movies tend to be bursts of loud and soft content.
post #1992 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax-jp View Post

The reference levels on the 510 seem much louder than my onkyo 875, again, using the same Rotel RMB1565 dedicated amplifier. The onkyo, in the DB scale, we would push into the positive 5+ db range whereas I cannot see going close to 0 on the 510.

I seem to recall that, at least on the first-gen MRX, if you calibrated speaker trim levels to 75 dB of output (in order to calibrate to reference levels), then you are achieving reference level output when the master volume control is set to -10 dB. Whereas on most other AVRs with relative volume levels, if you calibrate the speakers to 75 dB then you would be at reference level at a master volume setting of 0 dB. Why Anthem decided to do this is beyond me, but I think that is the case.

Now, whether the user in question calibrated speaker trims before playing at -5 dB I don't know, but if he did and if the above is true, then -5 dB on typical sources would be ear-splitting indeed! And if a speaker has a dip in impedance at some frequency and you're playing it that loud with lots of content around that frequency, I suppose that might be why it is shutting down.

Does Klipsch publish impedance curves for their speakers? A quick search did not find any, and most consumer gear companies don't publish them. That would be interesting to see one for that speaker though.

post #1993 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post

I seem to recall that, at least on the first-gen MRX, if you calibrated speaker trim levels to 75 dB of output (in order to calibrate to reference levels), then you are achieving reference level output when the master volume control is set to -10 dB. Whereas on most other AVRs with relative volume levels, if you calibrate the speakers to 75 dB then you would be at reference level at a master volume setting of 0 dB. Why Anthem decided to do this is beyond me, but I think that is the case.

Now, whether the user in question calibrated speaker trims before playing at -5 dB I don't know, but if he did and if the above is true, then -5 dB on typical sources would be ear-splitting indeed! And if a speaker has a dip in impedance at some frequency and you're playing it that loud with lots of content around that frequency, I suppose that might be why it is shutting down.

Does Klipsch publish impedance curves for their speakers? A quick search did not find any, and most consumer gear companies don't publish them. That would be interesting to see one for that speaker though.

No impedance curves published that I have ever seen, and only listed as 8 ohm impedance (or 8 ohm compatible).
post #1994 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Are you kidding me. -15db is EXTREMELY loud?
Where you sit? 1 foot from your speakers?
post #1995 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 06:34 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 947
^ Speakers don't all have the same efficiency.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1996 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 06:42 PM

Liked: 13
Dayakch & Frank: I use the MRX510 with no external amplifier as I find it has more than enough power for my needs. Right now, I am just experimenting with the ARC settings and using my ears to judge the difference based on my room acoustics. Your results may vary of course. Right now, I tend to prefer the higher frequencies uncorrected, rather than trying to get the "perfect" flat response for my music listening. I set mine to 500 Hz as there was a significant enough dip around that point that I wanted to correct.

My room is approximately 17'x14' and does not have an open floor plan to another room. It is actually a "bonus room" above the garage with wood floors. It has 8' ceilings that slant at the sides to follow the roof line. I chose the SB-2000 as it was smaller and had a much better WAF (Wife Approval Factor). I am limited on subwoofer placement and the PB-2000 was a bit too big for the room. I called SVS a few times and spoke to three different operators. Two of them recommended the SB-2000 for my room size and one actually recommended the PB-2000 if I could manage it. I played the opening scene of Star Wars Episode 3 and the rumbles did shake the room well enough using the SB-2000. It was much cleaner and more detailed than my previous subwoofer and integrated easily with the ARC room correction software, which makes me a happy camper! The PB-2000 definitely would have more "punch" for movies. Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

If Anthem wants to live up to it's reputation it better. wink.gif

I've been sitting on the sidelines contemplating whether or not to replace my AVM20 with an MRX. I must say reports here of bugs and service issues (as well as the lack of any official firmware fixes for some time) has me leaning towards not going with Anthem this time. frown.gif

I've been (and still am) an Onkyo & Integra fan since the 90's. I've only owned Onkyo/Integra equipment and it has always worked flawlessly for me. Just like any appliance, it's usually the people who are unhappy who voice their opinions the loudest, which affects all brands. As someone who is completely new to Anthem and I consider it a "boutique" brand from where I am coming from, I am very happy with my MRX 510 purchase so far. I've contacted their support by phone and they are pretty quick to answer and are very polite. It appears to me that they are actively working on issues and it can often take time to find root cause of a problem. Unfortunately, issues are always a constant in the world of electronics.
post #1997 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 06:44 PM

Liked: 27
I have a 310 and while i would like more power for 2.0 listening for superior dynamics, i feel even the 310 get very loud compared to anything else i have used with similar specs. I van go to -0 for as long as i can take it. I also notice more warmth with movies vs. music. I do not use arc for music either. No need. Not sure what the 710 issue is here. Hard for me to fathom unless there is a design flaw somewhere.

Samsung 65" F7100
Anthem MRX-310 (5.1)
Oppo BDP-103
Von Schweikert - VR-2 main,. LCR-15 Center
Def Tech. - Pro Monitor 800 Surrounds
HSU - VTF-2 MK2 Sub

post #1998 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfi View Post

I have a 310 and while i would like more power for 2.0 listening for superior dynamics, i feel even the 310 get very loud compared to anything else i have used with similar specs. I van go to -0 for as long as i can take it. I also notice more warmth with movies vs. music. I do not use arc for music either. No need. Not sure what the 710 issue is here. Hard for me to fathom unless there is a design flaw somewhere.
sorry for typos. Phones suck!

Samsung 65" F7100
Anthem MRX-310 (5.1)
Oppo BDP-103
HSU - VTF-2 MK2 Sub

post #1999 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Just unboxed my MRX-510 and hooked it up, replacing my Yamaha DSP-A1. My first reaction was, "where's the volume?" Comfortable movie volume is -20dB and if I were to watch something more at theater volume it would be around -15 or more. I'm driving B&W DM604 S2 mains, CC6 center and little Celestion rears. This is very surprising to me as my A1 would blow the roof off the house with the knob at 12:00. There was no dB indicator so I have no idea where that fell relatively speaking. If I turn on the test sound and do speaker levels, the white noise is SUBSTANTIALLY louder than normal content. Is this normal?

The sound is probably a bit cleaner and warmer but I might just be hearing things. Surround sounds great and I have not run ARC yet. Can't seem to get TrueHD out of my Sony 5100 but I'm sure that's a setting somewhere.

Still getting my Harmony tweaked...
post #2000 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I wonder if the problem has to do with the toroidal transformer ? From what I understand the 310 and 510 don't have the issues but the 710 do and isn't that really the only hardware difference between them? Didn't the 700 have loads of issues too? Everyone I know who had the 700 had to send it back to Anthem, but my 300 has been fine.

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
-$8500ish : (
post #2001 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

sorry for typos. Phones suck!

Just to clarify... When i said warmth, I meant heat not sound color.

Samsung 65" F7100
Anthem MRX-310 (5.1)
Oppo BDP-103
HSU - VTF-2 MK2 Sub

post #2002 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker Robert View Post

Dayakch & Frank: I use the MRX510 with no external amplifier as I find it has more than enough power for my needs. Right now, I am just experimenting with the ARC settings and using my ears to judge the difference based on my room acoustics. Your results may vary of course. Right now, I tend to prefer the higher frequencies uncorrected, rather than trying to get the "perfect" flat response for my music listening. I set mine to 500 Hz as there was a significant enough dip around that point that I wanted to correct.

My room is approximately 17'x14' and does not have an open floor plan to another room. It is actually a "bonus room" above the garage with wood floors. It has 8' ceilings that slant at the sides to follow the roof line. I chose the SB-2000 as it was smaller and had a much better WAF (Wife Approval Factor). I am limited on subwoofer placement and the PB-2000 was a bit too big for the room. I called SVS a few times and spoke to three different operators. Two of them recommended the SB-2000 for my room size and one actually recommended the PB-2000 if I could manage it. I played the opening scene of Star Wars Episode 3 and the rumbles did shake the room well enough using the SB-2000. It was much cleaner and more detailed than my previous subwoofer and integrated easily with the ARC room correction software, which makes me a happy camper! The PB-2000 definitely would have more "punch" for movies. Hope this helps!
I've been (and still am) an Onkyo & Integra fan since the 90's. I've only owned Onkyo/Integra equipment and it has always worked flawlessly for me. Just like any appliance, it's usually the people who are unhappy who voice their opinions the loudest, which affects all brands. As someone who is completely new to Anthem and I consider it a "boutique" brand from where I am coming from, I am very happy with my MRX 510 purchase so far. I've contacted their support by phone and they are pretty quick to answer and are very polite. It appears to me that they are actively working on issues and it can often take time to find root cause of a problem. Unfortunately, issues are always a constant in the world of electronics.

I should note that my own personal experience with Anthem (bought my AVM20 new about 10 years ago) has been positive. That combined with some features unique to Anthem has me wanting to stick with an Anthem product (unfortunately, the AVM pre/pro is now WAY out of my price range). Primarily I'm interested in what ARC may offer, otherwise I'm perfectly content sticking with my AVM20.

I must admit though that issues raised here about the MRX series is giving me pause.

post #2003 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 11:25 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post

I wonder if the problem has to do with the toroidal transformer ? From what I understand the 310 and 510 don't have the issues but the 710 do and isn't that really the only hardware difference between them? Didn't the 700 have loads of issues too? Everyone I know who had the 700 had to send it back to Anthem, but my 300 has been fine.

It should be noted that not everyone has issues with their 710... for instance I do not.
post #2004 of 3321 Old 04-29-2014, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 66
With the new iPads and iPhones having 64 bit power, I wonder if Anthem will release an app for ARC as I'm sure these new 64 bit iPads and iPhones and soon Androids will all have enough power to run ARC.
Breddy likes this.

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
-$8500ish : (
post #2005 of 3321 Old 04-30-2014, 12:00 AM

If you buy something and it works perfectly, you're less inclined to write a review than if you buy something and you're unhappy with it. Anybody reading these posts might jump to the incorrect conclusion that the MRX 310/510/710 has a lot of problems. I seriously doubt that. Anthem sold boatloads of MRX 300/500/700 receivers and it wasn't because they sucked and people enjoyed overpaying for them. They bought them because they were the best sounding AV receivers on the market and they worked well. That's not to say that a new unit, like the 710, can't have bugs. I'm sure it does. But these problems are resolved with software updates and a bit of patience on the owner's part. There's no point being an early adopter of technology if you're not willing to live with a few minor problems. Of course, if you're having major problems I understand your frustration.

I had an MRX 700 for 2 1/2 years and never had a problem. I replaced it with a 710 because I like new technology. So far, it's been problem free too. Both units powered a 5.1 zone of Totem speakers (rated at 88db sensitivity) and a second zone consisting of 2 Revel F208s (88.5db sensitivity). I've played the MRXs at near reference levels for prolonged periods and have never experienced a shutdown despite the modest sensitivity of my speakers.
Vinzie, whodunnit and andrewread like this.
post #2006 of 3321 Old 04-30-2014, 12:11 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

My thoughts exactly!

I'm also using an MRX 510 with Axiom speakers and a SVS PB13 Ultra subwoofer. No problems running movies/music on a -10/-15 dB volume level. The MRX is positioned inside a closed cabinet, but I'll tend to keep the door open when running it at that volumes. I even haven't heard the fan inside ever...
post #2007 of 3321 Old 04-30-2014, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Same here. I've pushed my 310 pretty hard and never had a problem.
post #2008 of 3321 Old 04-30-2014, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Wonder if the toriod is high enough capacity? Generally they're quite large, larger than regular PSU so in the same size chassis/area? Try fitting this in the Anthem

http://www.airlinktransformers.com/chassis_mounting_toroidal_transformers/chassis_mounting_toroidal_transformers_standard_range/CM2000424/

eek.gif

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #2009 of 3321 Old 04-30-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post

With the new iPads and iPhones having 64 bit power, I wonder if Anthem will release an app for ARC as I'm sure these new 64 bit iPads and iPhones and soon Androids will all have enough power to run ARC.
maybe next generation following x10s. The current mic comes with USB interface, it would need to change to Blutooth or Wifi to be a one-fits-all for handeld devices.... but that might still be too complicated for most audio enthusiats to setup, then it would need NFC for automated setup of connection, but then there are no NFC devices at large.... so maybe two or thee generations after x10s... biggrin.gif ... I doubt they enter that field of tech any time soon...

and btw is there an app for remote control now? the app store didn't find anything "Anthem" last time I had a look! I thought this would be part of the package some time - to be honest - I don't care tongue.gif
post #2010 of 3321 Old 04-30-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)

-5 db is indeed deafening (even with my A52SE speakers, which are not really efficient) with normal CD content, however SACD and DVD / BD-A are usually much quieter. In normal usage -15 is the max I go, but my 510 can handle even -5 without problems (and with 5.1 content).

At the moment the IOS control app is not available, you can request the android one (beta) from support I believe. 

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page