Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2071 of 2716 Old 05-04-2014, 08:45 AM
Member
 
Paul Peterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewread View Post


Paul,

As there seem to be only two of you with this issue here, and the rest of us with a 710 have no issue with the amp shutting down at volume (in fact for most of us it is too loud), did you contact Anthem support before you went out and bought a (possibly unnecessary) secondary amp?

What speakers are you driving and what impedance?


I have contacted Anthem support and although they have been great and very friendly, on the shutting down issues they are quite quiet about it. I find it hard to believe there aren't more people experiencing this problem. I might point out that this is the second 710 that I've had this problem with and the other fellow has had 3 different 710's that are doing the same thing.  Yes I've checked all my connections 3 times over.

Once again I'm running 7.1 all Klipsch with the rf7ii's as my front sound stage.  They are 8ohms compatible and very energy efficient and easy to drive.  And before you jump on the you just like your music and movies to loud band wagon I'll also say that before this, two years ago I was running almost the same setup except I had the RF82's with an aging Yamaha receiver that was only 85 watts and never ever shut down. And a month ago before I bought this unit I was running this same setup with an Onkyo 818 (135 watts) that would put you right out of the room and never shut down. So bearing in mind those last two facts I find it hard to believe that there isn't a serious design flaw in the 710's amp section. A receiver at this price range should have NO PROBLEM doing what I ask of it.  With the extra amp now the sound in this room and coming out of the Anthem now is truly amazing. You have to feel it to believe it.  Getting a separate amp has always been something I planned on doing eventruly anyway.  However after dropping $2000 for this receiver I didn't really appreciate being forced to go out and do it right away. Especially when I didn't have this issue with an $1000 Onkyo.

Saturn94 likes this.
Paul Peterson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2072 of 2716 Old 05-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Member
 
mml7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Peterson View Post


I have contacted Anthem support and although they have been great and very friendly, on the shutting down issues they are quite quiet about it. I find it hard to believe there aren't more people experiencing this problem


Paul-

I think what you and a couple others have identified is essentially a design flaw or a Q/A issue with how some of the 710s were manufactured. I don't recall seeing widespread reports of this issue from 710 owners, or really any 310 or 510 owners. Forums like these always have a higher incidence of people reporting problems than people reporting "everything's A-ok". Hopefully this is an issue that Anthem will be able to address, identify and/or correct. Everybody wants to feel good about their purchases and no ones wants to feel like they made a mistake.

-mike
Paul Peterson likes this.
mml7 is offline  
post #2073 of 2716 Old 05-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Member
 
andrewread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
^^^^ I just find it odd that if you guys do have an issue like this with a $2000 receiver that you are not on the phone with Anthem 24/7 until the issue is resolved... or headed to the dealer for a full refund and moving on.

Instead you are here on a non official support forum complaining.. it just seems like a bad way to resolve your issue.
Breddy and skinner84 like this.
andrewread is offline  
post #2074 of 2716 Old 05-04-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fatbottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 3,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I'd be demanding a refund too, tbh it doesn't sound like a firmware would fix it. Was going to buy a Anthem, not now.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

 

Jealous of my speakers?

fatbottom is online now  
post #2075 of 2716 Old 05-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Member
 
andrewread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

I'd be demanding a refund too, tbh it doesn't sound like a firmware would fix it. Was going to buy a Anthem, not now.

Not sure why you wouldn't buy one based on only two reported cases of the issue. I'm happy with my 710... as are many others here.
andrewread is offline  
post #2076 of 2716 Old 05-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Member
 
Red Devil 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Laval, Qc Canada
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Peterson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewread View Post

Paul,


As there seem to be only two of you with this issue here, and the rest of us with a 710 have no issue with the amp shutting down at volume (in fact for most of us it is too loud), did you contact Anthem support before you went out and bought a (possibly unnecessary) secondary amp?


What speakers are you driving and what impedance?


I have contacted Anthem support and although they have been great and very friendly, on the shutting down issues they are quite quiet about it. I find it hard to believe there aren't more people experiencing this problem. I might point out that this is the second 710 that I've had this problem with and the other fellow has had 3 different 710's that are doing the same thing.  Yes I've checked all my connections 3 times over.
Once again I'm running 7.1 all Klipsch with the rf7ii's as my front sound stage.  They are 8ohms compatible and very energy efficient and easy to drive.  And before you jump on the you just like your music and movies to loud band wagon I'll also say that before this, two years ago I was running almost the same setup except I had the RF82's with an aging Yamaha receiver that was only 85 watts and never ever shut down. And a month ago before I bought this unit I was running this same setup with an Onkyo 818 (135 watts) that would put you right out of the room and never shut down. So bearing in mind those last two facts I find it hard to believe that there isn't a serious design flaw in the 710's amp section. A receiver at this price range should have NO PROBLEM doing what I ask of it.  With the extra amp now the sound in this room and coming out of the Anthem now is truly amazing. You have to feel it to believe it.  Getting a separate amp has always been something I planned on doing eventruly anyway.  However after dropping $2000 for this receiver I didn't really appreciate being forced to go out and do it right away. Especially when I didn't have this issue with an $1000 Onkyo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

I'd be demanding a refund too, tbh it doesn't sound like a firmware would fix it. Was going to buy a Anthem, not now.
They are only 2 and both of them IIRC are running RF7 II fronts. Those speakers dip to 3.6ohms at ~150Hz and have phase that goes to -60 degree at ~70Hz. Also to note they are 96db sensitivity not 101db as advertise.
Sound like there's something that the amp doesn't like with those speakers.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412510/klipsch-rf7-ii-measurements

Red Devil 24 is offline  
post #2077 of 2716 Old 05-04-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fatbottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 3,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewread View Post

Not sure why you wouldn't buy one based on only two reported cases of the issue. I'm happy with my 710... as are many others here.

The Anthem 710, converted back to US $ is $3500.

Way too expensive.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

 

Jealous of my speakers?

fatbottom is online now  
post #2078 of 2716 Old 05-04-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fatbottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 3,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 132
"hose speakers dip to 3.6ohms at ~150Hz and have phase that goes to -60 degree at ~70Hz. Also to note they are 96db sensitivity not 101db as advertise."

Lol mine did to 2.2ohm at 60hz and have 90dB. So if the Anthem can't drive the Klipsch..not gonna drive mine

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

 

Jealous of my speakers?

fatbottom is online now  
post #2079 of 2716 Old 05-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Member
 
andrewread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

The Anthem 710, converted back to US $ is $3500.

Way too expensive.
So you aren't buying it because it is too expensive, and not because of the issue currently under discussion.. why even post that answer then?
andrewread is offline  
post #2080 of 2716 Old 05-04-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fatbottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 3,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 132
For £2300 I expect a AV amp to drive my speakers. For that price I expect it to be sorted, with all talk of beta firmwares..nah.

That and inability to drive speakers rather stick to pre-power
Paul Peterson likes this.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

 

Jealous of my speakers?

fatbottom is online now  
post #2081 of 2716 Old 05-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Member
 
whodunnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

For £2300 I expect a AV amp to drive my speakers. For that price I expect it to be sorted, with all talk of beta firmwares..nah.
That and inability to drive speakers rather stick to pre-power
I still find myself blown away with the price of Anthem in the UK. It would have to be pretty golden to shell out the equivalent of $3500 US dollars. At $2000 for a 710 here, I can deal with waiting for the firmware upgrade and the occasional glitch..not uncommon for just about every receiver out there..... But $3500.00? I'd want it damned rock solid, complete with Geisha girls and free at home installation. I love my 510, but really really want the new firmware in final form. Fatbottom....I suspect your speaker load would be be pushing the limit of just about any AVR out there. Why the hell you'd want to kick your Krell out of bed for any receiver's amp section is kind of outside my comprehension anyway. Love what you got!

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
whodunnit is online now  
post #2082 of 2716 Old 05-04-2014, 03:14 PM
Member
 
whodunnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Excuse me...900e's time seven....godallmighty. I might just have to come to the UK and visit you.

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
whodunnit is online now  
post #2083 of 2716 Old 05-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Member
 
whodunnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodunnit View Post

Excuse me...900e's time seven....godallmighty. I might just have to come to the UK and visit you.
Fatbottom....Thanks for PMing me on the joke, instead of tossing my ego into the public forum. I kind of figured it out when I Googled the Jewels....Had a good laugh at my own expense. Duh....that and why someone who could shell out for 7 Krell evo monoblocks would even consider a receiver... Just another slow Yank, however not one afraid to admit it publicly....That said, I'm thinking of trading my 2014 Porsche Turbo Carrera 4 for a used '98 Nissan Sentra with extra rust...anyone out there want to deal?

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
whodunnit is online now  
post #2084 of 2716 Old 05-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Member
 
skinner84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewread View Post

^^^^ I just find it odd that if you guys do have an issue like this with a $2000 receiver that you are not on the phone with Anthem 24/7 until the issue is resolved... or headed to the dealer for a full refund and moving on.

Instead you are here on a non official support forum complaining.. it just seems like a bad way to resolve your issue.

100%.

I'd love to know what Anthem actually said. Did they just flat out deny that it's an issue? Or blame something about your setup?
andrewread likes this.
skinner84 is offline  
post #2085 of 2716 Old 05-04-2014, 04:06 PM
Member
 
andrewread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

For £2300 I expect a AV amp to drive my speakers. For that price I expect it to be sorted, with all talk of beta firmwares..nah.

That and inability to drive speakers rather stick to pre-power

Beta firmware is a good thing, that means they are actively working on the issues and that the device is getting some development time... no beta firmware would be a bad thing.

It is not surprising that Canadian products are expensive... European products are expensive here in Canada.

I've found Anthem support very responsive electronically, but if I wasn't hearing from them by email... I would be the largest PITA on the phone that they had ever met. wink.gif
andrewread is offline  
post #2086 of 2716 Old 05-04-2014, 07:39 PM
Member
 
misterguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I usually don't post much but this forum is full of great people willing to help out and maybe my new experiences can help someone in the future. I am a new 710 owner that had a few issues right out of the box but eventually got through them. These issues might be big or small depending on what you expect for your money but currently I am very happy with my purchase and the great sound kind of makes up for the rocky start. Ill just list out some info and opinions and if anyone has questions please feel free to ask. Keep in mind that I am no expert and this is just one persons experience. My goal is to put this out there to help and not to complain about my receiver issues.

MRX-710 with Studio 100's, CC-690, SA-15R, SVS PB12-NSD

First thing I noticed was that the receiver sounded great right out of the box with no ARC. Dialog is unbelievable. Very powerful sounding in a pretty large room considering its all being pushed with one receiver unit. It has never shut down on me or seemed to overheat.

Anthem shipped me a blank ARC disc. Downloaded ARC of website but later realized that I needed a serialized .cal file from Anthem. Tech support sent quickly and I was up and running ARC.

ARC 1.0.1 gave me some very low crossovers (40hz) that I felt were odd so I contacted tech support and they instructed me to use the new ARC 1.0.1.7 that is not on their website. New software set crossovers higher. I kind of wondered why they didnt send update to me previously and why its not on their website yet.

Noticed the usual firmware problems but they didnt really bother me much like they bother some people. Maybe Im too easy but who knows. Firmware 1.1.4 with slight popping, missing few seconds audio, muffled sounding anthem logic mode and probably a few others that I ignored. I was still wondering why they dont give you new firmware unless you ask for it but I will figure that out later :-)

I had the hardest time updating firmware on the receiver. It was very frustrating. I tried everything you could think of including usb adapters, different ways of formatting, different electrical outlets, even different firmware. After the update the receiver would restart and freeze on "USB Detect". Tech support told me that the update should only take about 9 minutes but I gave it much more time. Till this day Im not sure if I was just being impatient or this receiver is extremely picky with thumb drives. Over the course of weeks I tried everything you can think of. Tech support tried to help but even they were stumped and didnt want to suggest anything else. They told me that the receiver should just restart and work immediately with new firmware.

Eventually I used another different usb adapter/memory card, used a different allocation unit size and left it alone for about 30 minutes. Came back and it worked. I must have tried 20 times previously. If anyone on this forum has any suggestions as to why I had such a hard time please educate me. Maybe I was not suppose to use memory cards with usb adapters or something weird like that. Who knows. It could be my fault.

One thing I learned is that Anthem/Paradigm tech support takes a very passive approach to helping people. I kind of understand because if they just offered new firmware to every Joe they would be asking for trouble. Same with escalating an issue when the customer should be taking the receiver back to the dealer. I kind of understand from a business point of view. My awesome subwoofer company does not take that same approach.

I would also like to compliment Anthem on how fast they are with phone calls and emails. They helped me quite a bit and I have no doubt that if I really wanted to escalate an issue they would support. Not every receiver and company is perfect and I feel Anthem does their best to help. I hope I am correctly understood on this subject.

Currently enjoying my great sounding MRX.
misterguy is offline  
post #2087 of 2716 Old 05-04-2014, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tank_PD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodunnit View Post

I still find myself blown away with the price of Anthem in the UK. It would have to be pretty golden to shell out the equivalent of $3500 US dollars. At $2000 for a 710 here, I can deal with waiting for the firmware upgrade and the occasional glitch..not uncommon for just about every receiver out there..... But $3500.00? I'd want it damned rock solid, complete with Geisha girls and free at home installation. I love my 510, but really really want the new firmware in final form. Fatbottom....I suspect your speaker load would be be pushing the limit of just about any AVR out there. Why the hell you'd want to kick your Krell out of bed for any receiver's amp section is kind of outside my comprehension anyway. Love what you got!

I think the US has a similar problem with the price of Arcam here.
Tank_PD is offline  
post #2088 of 2716 Old 05-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Member
 
sutton8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I paid £2000 for my 710 in the UK which is around 10% off list. But still way more expensive than the North America. AV equipment is generally more expensive here but there are countries where it is even worse. Our sales tax, which we call VAT, is 20% which does not help but doesn't account for the full difference.

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
sutton8 is offline  
post #2089 of 2716 Old 05-05-2014, 12:58 AM
Senior Member
 
JustABrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Can-A-Duhhhh
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post

I paid £2000 for my 710 in the UK which is around 10% off list. But still way more expensive than the North America. AV equipment is generally more expensive here but there are countries where it is even worse. Our sales tax, which we call VAT, is 20% which does not help but doesn't account for the full difference.

Arcam gear in North America is much more expensive than in the UK, just how this stuff goes... Also arent the taxes included in the price in the UK? In North America it's added on after the $2100. So if you paid £2000 isn't £400 of that your taxes if they ding you 20% for taxes.

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Panny 60"ST60
-$7500ish : (
JustABrah is offline  
post #2090 of 2716 Old 05-05-2014, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fatbottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 3,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 132
MRX 710 should be £1244 before customs, import duty, VAT.

That doesn't amount to £1000 on top.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

 

Jealous of my speakers?

fatbottom is online now  
post #2091 of 2716 Old 05-05-2014, 01:15 AM
Member
 
sutton8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Correct the 20% sales tax is included in the price. It still doesn't account for the large differential. For example my Oppo 103d costs sterling 600 in the uk yet dollar 600 plus tax in the US. We just generally get hosed on AV equipment. If you saw our petrol, food, internet and electricity prices you'd laugh. You North Americans are lucky.

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
sutton8 is offline  
post #2092 of 2716 Old 05-05-2014, 01:19 AM
Member
 
sutton8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

MRX 710 should be £1244 before customs, import duty, VAT.

That doesn't amount to £1000 on top.

As the other guy said their sales tax is on top of the price. So they are paying list price dollar 2000 plus tax which differs by state. But clearly we are paying significantly more for the same equipment. If it's not a good deal then don't buy it. Nobody is forced.

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
sutton8 is offline  
post #2093 of 2716 Old 05-05-2014, 06:24 AM
Member
 
whodunnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post

Correct the 20% sales tax is included in the price. It still doesn't account for the large differential. For example my Oppo 103d costs sterling 600 in the uk yet dollar 600 plus tax in the US. We just generally get hosed on AV equipment. If you saw our petrol, food, internet and electricity prices you'd laugh. You North Americans are lucky.
Very true. I've had this conversation before on this forum, and I agree the price difference is pretty ridiculous. I think its a shame in general, but in particular it stinks that the taxes, import duties and possibly an extra profit margin ascribed to Anthem's UK pricing makes it non competitive in a market glutted with options...(assuming other AV brands are more reasonably priced...) My understanding is that Arcam in the UK is more competitively priced than it is here in the states....Now that Arcam is (I believe) Canadian owned, I wonder if that will change.
Yes, we are very lucky. It frustrates me that we often seem oblivious to how lucky we are...

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
whodunnit is online now  
post #2094 of 2716 Old 05-05-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fatbottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 3,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodunnit View Post

Very true. I've had this conversation before on this forum, and I agree the price difference is pretty ridiculous. I think its a shame in general, but in particular it stinks that the taxes, import duties and possibly an extra profit margin ascribed to Anthem's UK pricing makes it non competitive in a market glutted with options...(assuming other AV brands are more reasonably priced...) My understanding is that Arcam in the UK is more competitively priced than it is here in the states....Now that Arcam is (I believe) Canadian owned, I wonder if that will change.
Yes, we are very lucky. It frustrates me that we often seem oblivious to how lucky we are...

Dunno about that, the Arcam P777 is £4000, I can get the ATI 3007 for that. I do have a Arcam 9 integrated that was £500

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

 

Jealous of my speakers?

fatbottom is online now  
post #2095 of 2716 Old 05-05-2014, 07:29 AM
Member
 
whodunnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wherever you go...well there you are. Currently I'm here, but soon I'll be someplace else. But rest assured I'll be there at the time, but I'll be gone before you know it.
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

Dunno about that, the Arcam P777 is £4000, I can get the ATI 3007 for that. I do have a Arcam 9 integrated that was £500
Ouch... Just getting hosed all around I guess. Don't recall the Arcam 9 to compare, but if prices for products from outside the UK are so high, then I guess products manufactured from within can be too...because there is no reason to sell cheap if the competition can't?

In memory of Buddy, the world's best pup, who passed peacefully June 28th/2014. He is sorely missed.
whodunnit is online now  
post #2096 of 2716 Old 05-05-2014, 07:39 AM
 
TimtheToolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Greetings!  Does anybody know if there is a book like, "Anthem MRX Series for Dummies"?  I've had the MRX 310 for a couple of months now.  It was a bit of a rough start but all seems to be working fine now.  I haven't run ARC yet.  Waiting for the speakers to break in a bit more.  I was a little concerned with the low power ratings but, so far, it's been ample enough.  BTW, it has never shut down from playing loud BUT, I did go through the sound dropping out when CEC was turned on.  I don't know exactly what the problem was, but leaving CEC off, and using an optical from the TV to the receiver seemed to eliminate that problem.  I'm very happy with the sound from this receiver! :) 

Breddy likes this.
TimtheToolman is offline  
post #2097 of 2716 Old 05-05-2014, 08:19 AM
Member
 
mazpri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: ol Europe
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpblain View Post

...using a ... subwoofer which ... can go down to 26Hz (in room). ARC seems to disagree. .... My room is 3.5m x 5m (12' x 16'), open on one side. ....

Out of curiosity - problem solved?
mazpri
mazpri is offline  
post #2098 of 2716 Old 05-05-2014, 08:23 AM
Member
 
sutton8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodunnit View Post

Very true. I've had this conversation before on this forum, and I agree the price difference is pretty ridiculous. I think its a shame in general, but in particular it stinks that the taxes, import duties and possibly an extra profit margin ascribed to Anthem's UK pricing makes it non competitive in a market glutted with options...(assuming other AV brands are more reasonably priced...) My understanding is that Arcam in the UK is more competitively priced than it is here in the states....Now that Arcam is (I believe) Canadian owned, I wonder if that will change.
Yes, we are very lucky. It frustrates me that we often seem oblivious to how lucky we are...

Fact is the US is a favoured market. Whilst the EU as a trading bloc has the highest GDP the US is the largest individual economy in its own right. I mean California is amongst the top ten on its own. So clearly manufacturers favour the largest economy and the only super power left. Plus you have a culture of competitiveness somewhat lacking elsewhere and more generous goods taxing structure.

Generally our AV products in the UK are more expensive so it's far from just Anthem. We are a market they don't rely on, hence the crappy pricing.

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
sutton8 is offline  
post #2099 of 2716 Old 05-05-2014, 08:46 AM
Member
 
mml7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post

Fact is the US is a favoured market. Whilst the EU as a trading bloc has the highest GDP the US is the largest individual economy in its own right. I mean California is amongst the top ten on its own. So clearly manufacturers favour the largest economy and the only super power left. Plus you have a culture of competitiveness somewhat lacking elsewhere and more generous goods taxing structure.

Generally our AV products in the UK are more expensive so it's far from just Anthem. We are a market they don't rely on, hence the crappy pricing.

Fortunately (for those of us on this side of the pond), this happens with things like cars too. Audi's are considerably cheaper here. While I may complain about the lack of drivetrain options (i.e. no stick) on something like the Audi A4 Avant, I take some solace knowing that I'm paying about 70% of what you'd have to pay.
mml7 is offline  
post #2100 of 2716 Old 05-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Member
 
mml7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheToolman View Post

Greetings!  Does anybody know if there is a book like, "Anthem MRX Series for Dummies"?  I've had the MRX 310 for a couple of months now.  It was a bit of a rough start but all seems to be working fine now.  I haven't run ARC yet.  Waiting for the speakers to break in a bit more.  I was a little concerned with the low power ratings but, so far, it's been ample enough.  BTW, it has never shut down from playing loud BUT, I did go through the sound dropping out when CEC was turned on.  I don't know exactly what the problem was, but leaving CEC off, and using an optical from the TV to the receiver seemed to eliminate that problem.  I'm very happy with the sound from this receiver! smile.gif  

I played around with CEC for a couple hours before I disabled it on every device I owned that supported it. CEC was just too flaky for my tastes, likely due to the slightly different implementations from different vendors or my lack of understanding on how it's supposed to work. I'm OK with programming my Harmony remote to handle input switching, macros, etc.

As for connections, I've fed all of my sources directly to the Anthem via HDMI or Component cable and fed video to my TV from the Anthem with a single HDMI cable. Sound comes directly from the cable box so I don't need to worry about getting sound from the TV yet. If/when I start using Amazon Instant (one of the apps on the TV), I will need to enable ARC to get sound from the TV since I don't plan on using optical at the moment. One thing to note about optical connections is that only some TVs will output 5.1
mml7 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off