Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 79 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post

Me neither. My SACD sounds brilliant via HDMI. A digital receiver for the digital age.

The Anthem kit lacks DSD so what are you sending from the SACD unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

All I can say is "thank you kindly" for all the incredible feedback on my anthem/oppo issue.  The responses I received from both Anthem & Oppo  were professional, straight and truthful, but I still wanted to hear from other consumers like myself, and their thoughts...best thing I did.  I am seriously impressed with the level of knowledge, detail, and understanding in these posts, and now i feel very comfortable with my current set up and sound.   

Had I joined this community sooner, I would have learned that HDMI configuration would bypass the Oppo's DAC's ( dont laugh people, I'm 53 and audio in/audio out still reverberates in my psyche ... laughter) , and I would have purchased a different version of the Oppo.  But,  live and learn.

Well, its time to listen to my latest order of CD's again ...... "Monks dream" & "the Chicago Transit Authority" ......... forgot how good of a debut the latter was until I heard it through this system .... ;)

thanks again. 

Breddy likes this.
post #2343 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyp View Post

That was quick ... I had just checked before posting. Wish there was beta? notes, since this isn't a release.

Seriously. Anthem is so good at so many things but releasing firmware (even via private support-only beta) without a change log is frustrating.
post #2344 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30

I'm going to try to post a few questions later today that will help me better understand the setups and capabilities of my 310 but, for now, just a quick observation.

In addition to my total enjoyment with my Anthem (I've had it a week), I consider myself fortunate to have stumbled upon this forum.  The knowledge of so many, and their willingness to help others with questions and answers, has truly been beneficial to me.  I'm one lucky old fella!  ;)

Thanks again to all contributors.

post #2345 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breddy View Post

Let the player decode and send PCM to the Anthem.
post #2346 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

PCM. My Oppo decodes first.

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
post #2347 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesvicky View Post

I've had two do this for all inputs and reset worked once then when it happened again nothing, had to be swapped for new unit, twice

Have reset the 710 and have the OPPO BDP93 function. Still no AppleTV however.

Will have to wait until receipt of firmware from Anthem. Odd however as all functioned perfect until last night.
post #2348 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by _stranger View Post

Have reset the 710 and have the OPPO BDP93 function. Still no AppleTV however.

Will have to wait until receipt of firmware from Anthem. Odd however as all functioned perfect until last night.

Try unpluging, then pluging back in, the HDMI from the Apple TV to the 710 (power off everything first!).  If that doesn't work try another HDMI cable.  Double check input settings as well.  Verify the Apple TV works on other equipment.

post #2349 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 28

Feeding analog signal to an MRX simply makes no sense if digital as available. The main point of the MRX is ARC and it needs a digital signal. With ARC and analog you just introduce additional conversions while not bypassing the Anthem's DAC. I considered an Oppo, but in the end I though I would be paying for a DAC I wouldn't use anyway, so I went with a HTPC instead.

Also technically speaking you can't decode a DSD signal to PCM, as its not a codec like FLAC or MP3, but a completely different method of audio recording. DSD can be converted to PCM, but that conversion is not lossless, although quality loss is so little it can be safely ignored. Receivers that can take in DSD signal either convert it to PCM, or have a DAC capable of converting it to analog natively. The cheaper ones usually use the first method. Since ARC operates with PCM, and probably can only operate with PCM as a DSD signal can't be manipulated easily, and most SACD players are capable of DSD -> PCM conversion, I would say it was logical on their side to drop both analog inputs and DSD support. This also indicates that all room correction, surround algorithm and every digital post processing thingy probably converts a DSD to PCM first anyway. (Just like with TVs converting an RGB signal to 4:2:2 YUV to process it, losing color resolution in the process)

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks
post #2350 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman93422 View Post

Try unpluging, then pluging back in, the HDMI from the Apple TV to the 710 (power off everything first!).  If that doesn't work try another HDMI cable.  Double check input settings as well.  Verify the Apple TV works on other equipment.

That was easy. Swapped HDMI amd restarted the AppleTV, worked great. Thanks for the tip.

Am pleasantly surprised how fast the MRX switches and locks on to signal via HDMI.
Toolman93422 likes this.
post #2351 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 02:23 PM

Good afternoon, people.  This is a request for assistance on selecting a video player.

I presently have a Toshiba HD DVD (~ 7yrs old) that suffers from intermittent problems; primarily error messages that say the disc cannot be played or it doesn't recognize the disc.  This occurs almost exclusively with HD-encoded DVDs (standard definition DVDs play fine).  I upgraded the Toshiba's firmware several years ago, but the problem persists.  To put it bluntly; I've enjoyed as much as I can stand with this thing...and I'm going to replace it.

Since music is my main interest (and I LUB my 310 for this!), I'm looking for a RELIABLE and PROBLEM-FREE component that will play DVDs (std and HD), Bluray and, occasionally, a CD.  I'm not looking for a component with the latest "bells-and-whistles"...be they audio or video...I just want something that I can connect to my Anthem (via HDMI) and have it operate without glitches.  And 3D capability holds no interest for me.  Cost isn't a major consideration but, since I'm a music guy, the cheaper the better.

Recommendations from all of you "video heads" out there will be greatly appreciated.  ;) 

post #2352 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMRSC View Post

Good afternoon, people.  This is a request for assistance on selecting a video player.

I presently have a Toshiba HD DVD (~ 7yrs old) that suffers from intermittent problems; primarily error messages that say the disc cannot be played or it doesn't recognize the disc.  This occurs almost exclusively with HD-encoded DVDs (standard definition DVDs play fine).  I upgraded the Toshiba's firmware several years ago, but the problem persists.  To put it bluntly; I've enjoyed as much as I can stand with this thing...and I'm going to replace it.

Since music is my main interest (and I LUB my 310 for this!), I'm looking for a RELIABLE and PROBLEM-FREE component that will play DVDs (std and HD), Bluray and, occasionally, a CD.  I'm not looking for a component with the latest "bells-and-whistles"...be they audio or video...I just want something that I can connect to my Anthem (via HDMI) and have it operate without glitches.  Cost isn't a major consideration but, since I'm a music guy, the cheaper the better.

Recommendations from all of you "video heads" out there will be greatly appreciated.  wink.gif  

I purchased a Sony BDP-S5100 and works well for Blurays, 3D, and streaming services. I can't attest to DVD capability but it gets good reviews. WiFi or direct connect to internet is supported. I got it in December 2013 for $89. Couldn't go wrong at that price. Having no problems interfacing with my Anthem.
OMRSC likes this.
post #2353 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyp View Post

I purchased a Sony BDP-S5100 and works well for Blurays, 3D, and streaming services. I can't attest to DVD capability but it gets good reviews. WiFi or direct connect to internet is supported. I got it in December 2013 for $89. Couldn't go wrong at that price. Having no problems interfacing with my Anthem.

Thank you...I'll put this on my "check it out" list.

post #2354 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 03:36 PM

OMRSC: I hear your pain with regards to HDDVD. I still prefer the feeling of the hddvd menus etc. however as some have discovered the discs them selves are "rotting" you may want to replace/try and sell them soon. Warner discs have been the worst offenders. They did have some kind of exchange program a while back. It maybe worth looking into. I know it's off topic but I just didn't want you to think that a different hd DVD player would likely improve matters. I own 4 players myself and about 140 films on the format. Bluray doesn't feel the same but it arguably looks and sounds the same. Best of luck
OMRSC likes this.
post #2355 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 28

OT: You should rip to HD-DVDs to a PC. It would prevent any losses, and it's your best bet if exchange doesn't work out. Video and audio codecs used on BDs and HD-DVDs are the same. Any difference between actual film quality is from different masterings.

OMRSC likes this.

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks
post #2356 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 06:09 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by espirit View Post

Thanks for your response. I am still analyzing and not in great hurry to make a purchase. Thought if I get a good discount ($200 to $250) on 510, I might pull the trigger faster.

It never hurts to ask! I talked to four dealers. Two of them at their storefront and other two on the phone. Both on the phone matched each other for 510 @$1350. I finally purchased and installed it today morning. The dealer was very nice. He bought the 510 to my place and installed it so that I could audition it. I didn't had to send it back. I wrote him a check after couple of hours!
post #2357 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Hi Guys,

I am using the MRX-300 as a pre/pro, which has been working out great for the past 3 years. Any notable improvements on the 310 model? thanks!

Also, does anyone know if Anthem plans on releasing a 3rd generation AVR? ( like a 320 ) wink.gif

Enjoy !

Bri
post #2358 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by putz2k1 View Post

OMRSC: I hear your pain with regards to HDDVD. I still prefer the feeling of the hddvd menus etc. however as some have discovered the discs them selves are "rotting" you may want to replace/try and sell them soon. Warner discs have been the worst offenders. They did have some kind of exchange program a while back. It maybe worth looking into. I know it's off topic but I just didn't want you to think that a different hd DVD player would likely improve matters. I own 4 players myself and about 140 films on the format. Bluray doesn't feel the same but it arguably looks and sounds the same. Best of luck

Are you saying HD DVD discs have a propensity for going bad over time?  This is the first time I've ever heard of this.

I've read a number of posts from owners of the Toshiba players (the HD-A20 in my case) that describe problems identical to mine (Error Code 408bc504), and there's considerable debate over whether the problem is with the Toshiba or the discs themselves.  I have several discs that haven't played from the get-go, and a somewhat lesser number that refused to play after a few playings.

Since HD DVD is yesterday's technology (like Sony's Betamax when it lost the format war to VHS years ago), I'm still going to replace my DVD player, however, I'd still be very interested in hearing whatever else you've discovered on this subject.

Thanks for the heads-up.

post #2359 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnahadnagy View Post

Feeding analog signal to an MRX simply makes no sense if digital as available. The main point of the MRX is ARC and it needs a digital signal. With ARC and analog you just introduce additional conversions while not bypassing the Anthem's DAC. I considered an Oppo, but in the end I though I would be paying for a DAC I wouldn't use anyway, so I went with a HTPC instead.

I would be VERY interested in hearing which HTPC's OEM you selected for the hardware, what OS you went with, and what media center software you're using.

I'm looking into going the same way such that I can reduce the clutter and amount of space my DVD player, and a separate CD changer, occupy.  My primary interest in this format will be music storage to a HDD, but I may also use it for video playback if I buy an external Bluray/DVD/CD burner.  What I've been considering is one of the Zotac ZBOX series similar to the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16856173066

The beauty of the ZBOX for me is that it can be attached to the back of my TV, is HDMI compatible, and it has it's own Remote Control (in case this format isn't supported by Logitech's Harmony remotes).

I look forward to your (and anyone else's) response.

post #2360 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 09:57 PM

Liked: 10
Can someone help me?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7355/10802068876_47658c3058_b.jpg

I have a JL Audio E110 Subwoofer... how do I attach that to the Anthem MRX 310 receiver?
If I get another subwoofer, how should I set that up?

thanks.
post #2361 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 10:14 PM

Omsrc I pm'd you what I know about your hddvd issues. I am likely a year away from getting an anthem receiver myself and look forward to experiencing the audio bliss that many here are experiencing
post #2362 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by putz2k1 View Post

Omsrc I pm'd you what I know about your hddvd issues. I am likely a year away from getting an anthem receiver myself and look forward to experiencing the audio bliss that many here are experiencing

Thanks for your message.  I've responded.

post #2363 of 3358 Old 05-24-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglau View Post

Can someone help me?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7355/10802068876_47658c3058_b.jpg

I have a JL Audio E110 Subwoofer... how do I attach that to the Anthem MRX 310 receiver?
If I get another subwoofer, how should I set that up?

thanks.

Look at the lower-left-hand corner of the 310, to the white area labeled "5.1CH MAIN PRE-OUT".  The bottom right RCA connector labeled SUB is the feed for your subwoofer.  If you add another subwoofer, the easiest method of connection(s) will be a Y-splitter.  Setup for two subwoofers is explained in Anthem's manual.

greglau likes this.
post #2364 of 3358 Old 05-25-2014, 02:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Not sure on the jl e series but the fathoms have an output for "slave" sub so you don't have to run another cable from the amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2365 of 3358 Old 05-25-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnahadnagy View Post

OT: You should rip to HD-DVDs to a PC. It would prevent any losses, and it's your best bet if exchange doesn't work out. Video and audio codecs used on BDs and HD-DVDs are the same. Any difference between actual film quality is from different masterings.

I just received your PM concerning HTPC, and all I can say is...thank you-thank you-thank you!

It's going to take me five or six readings to comprehend (and only partially, I might add  :D) what you've explained, so I'll respond with some additional questions via PM sometime today.

Again, THANK YOU!

post #2366 of 3358 Old 05-26-2014, 09:46 AM

I can't seem to get 16:9 out of my Wii using either component or composite cables. I set the Wii to widescreen and TV to 16:9, then input to the MRX-510. Output to TV is of course HDMI. My TV's aspect ratio is set to 16:9 and reports 1080p/60 from the MRX. I get video signal but only 4:3 picture. If I set the Wii to 4:3, it's undistorted but when I set the Wii to 16:9, it compresses to 4:3.

Any ideas here?
post #2367 of 3358 Old 05-26-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmex55 View Post

Is there any reason why the Wii is set to 4:3 through component input? I have changed the wii settings to widescreen but the display doesnt change. I cant find anywhere in the anthem settings to changed it.

Did you ever find an answer to this? Search results are failing me at the moment. I'm seeing the same thing...
post #2368 of 3358 Old 05-26-2014, 11:02 AM

No I have not. Have tried all settings, nothing worked.
Breddy likes this.
post #2369 of 3358 Old 05-26-2014, 01:49 PM

Anyone know if it's possible to get audio out via HDMI to either of the HDMI outputs on a 510? I use the 2nd output for an outdoor TV and I'd like to flip it on and have the audio coming over HDMI for this use. Obviously for the normal use case the audio would be handled by the receiver.

Zone 2 has some interesting limitations and I'm getting a bit frustrated with my options for using this receiver the way I want. Not sure if I"m asking for a lot or this unit is just unusually quirky (like, no HDMI audio to zone 2 ... well known but for the life of me I can't work out why that would be an issue).
post #2370 of 3358 Old 05-26-2014, 01:56 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Anyone know if it's possible to get audio out via HDMI to either of the HDMI outputs on a 510? I use the 2nd output for an outdoor TV and I'd like to flip it on and have the audio coming over HDMI for this use. Obviously for the normal use case the audio would be handled by the receiver.

Zone 2 has some interesting limitations and I'm getting a bit frustrated with my options for using this receiver the way I want. Not sure if I"m asking for a lot or this unit is just unusually quirky (like, no HDMI audio to zone 2 ... well known but for the life of me I can't work out why that would be an issue).

I don't know anything about this and this is a little hacky...  but... what if you switch your main TV to zone 2 and use zone 1 (if the zone 1 has audio). im assuming that you have actual speakers and dont need hdmi audio in the main room

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com