Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 82 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2431 of 3319 Old 05-31-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. Long time lurker enjoying the discussions and my 710 for the past few months. smile.gif
I do have a question: how come there is no way to hear multichannel sources (eg 5.1) as Stereo (2.1 or 2.0)? Every receiver I have ever owned has been able to do this. The Anthem is the first receiver I have ever owned that has no way of down mixing 5 (or more) channels to 2. Or am I missing something?
And in case you were wondering why on Earth I would want to do that, apart from the academic exercise, it helps tremendously for night listening. My surrounds are placed pretty high behind me due to room limitations. That places them at the same level as the floor of the bedrooms upstairs. And since the house has a very open floor plan with one ceiling for both the floors (in the family room), when multichannel sources are playing at night, the surrounds can get pretty loud for the people trying to sleep. Turning the volume down makes it hard to listen to dialog downstairs. In my previous receivers turning off the surround modes and listening in Stereo would solve the problem, but in the Anthem it's impossible to do.
I tried turning on Dolby Volume and tried different levels of compression, but that mode also increases the volume of the surrounds, which is the problem to start with.
Besides this, improper mixing of soundtracks also gets easier to deal with by not having surrounds on.
I suppose I could set up Profile 2 as having 2 speakers only which would force the 710 to
Down mix the 5.1 source, however, life would be a lot simpler if alternating between Stereo and Surround was a simple toggle.
Frankly, I'm surprised that no one has even brought this up yet. smile.gif

Raj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 3319 Old 05-31-2014, 08:38 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therien View Post

Hello there

I have an annoying problem.. When I want to open a saved measurement i get this message:

Failed to de-serialize the file "C:\blablabla\blabla\MRX510.arc2"
The file may be corrupt

Details: "Content cannot be converted to the type Double. Line 18504, position 38".

I have to measure every single time I wanna make a change to my setup - it is getting increasingly annoying..
I've had the problem since i bought the receiver back in november.. Though it worked for a week after updating to the latest software,
though out of the blue it was back the message you see above..

Everything is updated to the latest versions - ARC and the receiver..

Hope that someone can help! Thanks.

P. S.: iPhone app - anytime soon?

Get in touch with Anthem tech support and they can get you the fix for this. It's apparently caused by region localization issues -- i.e., whether comma or period is used for "decimal point" in numbers in the saved results file. I'm not sure why the fix hasn't been released publicly yet.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #2433 of 3319 Old 06-01-2014, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

The job of an amplifier is to amplify not change the sound. Having a better power supply on an amp means it won't distort as soon as a lower power amp. If by cleaner sounding you mean at above normal listening levels then yes it should sound cleaner, but someone would have to stress the system to tell the difference. I never stressed the two receivers at extreme levels. At levels of -13(which is really loud) on the master volumes in my 13x24 theater they sounded the same.
The toroidal power supply apparently leads to a better signal to noise ratio. It's not about playing at high volume. Anthem didn't put it on the flagship model and not the others just for a laugh. As I've said the feedback I've had is that the sound difference is clear. Clearly subjective opinions will differ.

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
post #2434 of 3319 Old 06-01-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post

The toroidal power supply apparently leads to a better signal to noise ratio. It's not about playing at high volume. Anthem didn't put it on the flagship model and not the others just for a laugh. As I've said the feedback I've had is that the sound difference is clear. Clearly subjective opinions will differ.
Of course they didn't put in a toroidal supply for laughs. A toroidal supply is able to maintain the manufactures rated power under load(high volumes, heavy bass, demanding speakers and low ohms) much better than a conventional power supply. The DSP, DACs etc... handle how a receiver sounds, the power supply has nothing to do with it. Anthem hasn't suddenly rewritten the law of amplifier design and discovered how to make an amplifier improve sound.

With the 710 vs the 310 you are paying more for a toroidal transformer, 2 additional channels of amplification, ability to bi-amp the fronts left and right channels, extra HDMI port and 7.1 pre outs. The additional cost of the 710 is for features not sound quality.

Could you please point me to a professional review that says the 710 with the same processor and other components sounds better than the 310 or 510.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #2435 of 3319 Old 06-01-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

Could you please point me to a professional review that says the 710 with the same processor and other components sounds better than the 310 or 510.

No I could not, so what? I've quoted what are subjective opinions from users and dealers, whose opinion happens to differ to yours.

All components have something to do with how an amplifier sounds. Without getting into the debate of the value of toroidal power supplies it is that they are not as "noisy" with less hum leading to better general sound quality. So the theory goes anyway. The importance of the component in the overall equation should not be dismissed and is in fact one of the key elements in overall sound quality.

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
post #2436 of 3319 Old 06-02-2014, 01:57 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hello there

I have an annoying problem.. When I want to open a saved measurement i get this message:

The file may be corrupt

Details: "Content cannot be converted to the type Double. Line 18504, position 38".

I have to measure every single time I wanna make a change to my setup - it is getting increasingly annoying..

I've had the problem since i bought the receiver back in november.. Though it worked for a week after updating to the latest software,

That is a bug in the ARC-program. You can manually change the arc-file (it is an xml-file). The latest version of the ARC-software (http://www.anthemav.com/support/latest-software.php) solves this problem.
post #2437 of 3319 Old 06-02-2014, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedSurfer View Post

Quote:

Hello there

The file may be corrupt

That is a bug in the ARC-program. You can manually change the arc-file (it is an xml-file). The latest version of the ARC-software (http://www.anthemav.com/support/latest-software.php) solves this problem.

I have the latest software, and that solved it for about a week, then The bug appeared again. As suggested I've written to Anthem - still waiting for reply.

How do i fix it manually? Thanks!
post #2438 of 3319 Old 06-02-2014, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
This is interesting. When I was shopping for a receiver I came across the old thread below. Personally I doubt my ears would be able to hear the difference at normal listening levels but there seems to be some logic there. Same as if I swap out all my cheaper hdmi cables for those fancy hundred dollar ones but Im not gonna do that smile.gif I guess every little thing can make a difference.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/946775/what-are-the-benfits-of-a-toroidal-based-power-supply

Sorry forgot to quote Sutton8 on the toroidal power supply.
post #2439 of 3319 Old 06-02-2014, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterguy View Post

Same as if I swap out all my cheaper hdmi cables for those fancy hundred dollar ones but Im not gonna do that smile.gif I guess every little thing can make a difference.

Not quite the same thing at all. My cables are Amazon basics and cost $10. HDMI cables either work or dont. The impact of the power supply on the sound quality is of a different magnitude.

post #2440 of 3319 Old 06-02-2014, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
What I meant to say was that personally I doubt my ears would be able to tell the difference between the MRX 710 and MRX 510, but I understand exactly what you are trying to say.
post #2441 of 3319 Old 06-02-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:

I have the latest software, and that solved it for about a week, then The bug appeared again. As suggested I've written to Anthem - still waiting for reply.

How do i fix it manually? Thanks!

Go to the line mentioned in the error message an change all the values in the <7Targets> from "," to ".". If I don't remember false...
post #2442 of 3319 Old 06-02-2014, 06:21 AM

Thanks man, i'll give it a shot.
post #2443 of 3319 Old 06-03-2014, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have the same issue and freom test I've done it happends when CEC feature is activated for HDMI. If the TV is switched on/off after the av is on the the av switch the input to the TV and there is "No Audio" until you make a factory reset.

I had a Yamaha before the anthem and I had the same issue (with the diference that I was able to recover the sound just switching off/on the av). So I think is an interworking issue with the CEC, or a bad implementation in the TV.

Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax-jp View Post

My receiver took the update to 1.2.0 but no change. It's still displaying No Signal for audio. If I turn the audio up on the TV, I do get sound through the TV speakers.
The test tone plays properly through all of the speakers.

Looks like something is fubarred with the HDMI audio.
post #2444 of 3319 Old 06-03-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnavarro View Post

I have the same issue and freom test I've done it happends when CEC feature is activated for HDMI. If the TV is switched on/off after the av is on the the av switch the input to the TV and there is "No Audio" until you make a factory reset.

I had a Yamaha before the anthem and I had the same issue (with the diference that I was able to recover the sound just switching off/on the av). So I think is an interworking issue with the CEC, or a bad implementation in the TV.

Regards

I've seen what you're talking about in the past, but in this instance, it got stuck in that state and the only way to get it out was to reset to defaults. Turning CEC off on all of the devices didn't help either.

It's working fine now.

I can't say for sure what caused the issue but I have a theory as I witnessed some similarly odd behavior relating to CEC with the Onkyo in my office in the same time frame.
I'll keep looking and see if I can isolate / reproduce it.
post #2445 of 3319 Old 06-03-2014, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hi, new member and long time lurker here.  I'm a new MRX510 owner and have a question about my remote setup.     I am using my 510 with a Harmony Smart Hub remote.   I've been able to set everything up ok, except I cannot figure out which input number goes with Coax 1.    The MRX is in the Logitech database, but all inputs are just listed as 1-20, etc., but it doesn't tell me what the input actually is.   I guessed and got the HDMI inputs correct (1-7), but I have no idea what inputs are the coax inputs.     Does anyone know what the input number is for Coax 1 using a Logitech smart hub remote?

thanks

post #2446 of 3319 Old 06-03-2014, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

What does a factory reset do?  Does everything (settings, ARC, etc.) have to be redone from scratch, or are the user settings reloadable after the reset?

I have a peculiar problem where my MRX 710 occasionally "locks up" when it's turned on.  The symptoms are that the display shows the initialization screen, but instead of progressing to the normal powered-up display & closing the main power relay ten seconds later, it just hangs, & none of the remote control or front panel buttons will do anything - it's necessary to unplug the unit & then try again.  This occurs roughly 5% or 6% of the time, fairly randomly.

I'm reluctant to set up the unit all over again, but if it will help...

post #2447 of 3319 Old 06-03-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiyopapa View Post

Hi, new member and long time lurker here.  I'm a new MRX510 owner and have a question about my remote setup.     I am using my 510 with a Harmony Smart Hub remote.   I've been able to set everything up ok, except I cannot figure out which input number goes with Coax 1.    The MRX is in the Logitech database, but all inputs are just listed as 1-20, etc., but it doesn't tell me what the input actually is.   I guessed and got the HDMI inputs correct (1-7), but I have no idea what inputs are the coax inputs.     Does anyone know what the input number is for Coax 1 using a Logitech smart hub remote?

thanks
The inputs you indicate are actually virtual inputs. You can go into the setup menu and assign an actual input to each virtual input. You can assign coax1 to any of them. You can also change the name of each as well.
post #2448 of 3319 Old 06-04-2014, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiyopapa View Post

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmitch View Post

The inputs you indicate are actually virtual inputs. You can go into the setup menu and assign an actual input to each virtual input. You can assign coax1 to any of them. You can also change the name of each as well.

.... and don't forget to read the manual pages 19-22 before! That might help as well biggrin.gif
post #2449 of 3319 Old 06-04-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcom2 View Post

What does a factory reset do?  Does everything (settings, ARC, etc.) have to be redone from scratch, or are the user settings reloadable after the reset?

I have a peculiar problem where my MRX 710 occasionally "locks up" when it's turned on.  The symptoms are that the display shows the initialization screen, but instead of progressing to the normal powered-up display & closing the main power relay ten seconds later, it just hangs, & none of the remote control or front panel buttons will do anything - it's necessary to unplug the unit & then try again.  This occurs roughly 5% or 6% of the time, fairly randomly.

I'm reluctant to set up the unit all over again, but if it will help...

Resets all of the settings.
You can reload the speaker configs, but I didn't look for a way to reload other settings. This receiver is so simple to configure that I re-did mine in about 5 minutes.
post #2450 of 3319 Old 06-06-2014, 01:15 AM

Is it nessesary to delete a current ARC before uploading a new one?
That seemed to be the case with the gen 1..

My reason for asking is that my tweaks arent visible on XTZ room analyzer Pro - at all..
It doesent figure that introduced a 2nd order roll off at 35 hz..
post #2451 of 3319 Old 06-06-2014, 05:37 AM

No just run a new one and upload it. My desktop is full of old ARC and PBK runs.

post #2452 of 3319 Old 06-06-2014, 06:01 AM

Liked: 15
I also am using the Harmony Smart Hub....and with my MRX-710, I cannot get the remote to switch to the correct input on the receiver. If I was using the APPLE TV activity for example, then switch to WATCH TV, the receiver stays at the APPLE TV input. Any thoughts?

I have the correct inputs assigned using the Harmony software. Seems like the receiver either ignore stye "change input" command or just doesn't see it. Right now I need two remotes....the Anthem one to switch inputs and then the Harmony Ultimate for everything else.
post #2453 of 3319 Old 06-06-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkelch View Post

I also am using the Harmony Smart Hub....and with my MRX-710, I cannot get the remote to switch to the correct input on the receiver. If I was using the APPLE TV activity for example, then switch to WATCH TV, the receiver stays at the APPLE TV input. Any thoughts?

I have the correct inputs assigned using the Harmony software. Seems like the receiver either ignore stye "change input" command or just doesn't see it. Right now I need two remotes....the Anthem one to switch inputs and then the Harmony Ultimate for everything else.

I use my 710 with a Harmony Touch and the hub and works perfectly for me with my Apple TV and varied other sources. Sounds odd, especially if your inputs on the receiver are setup correectly.

post #2454 of 3319 Old 06-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

If your anthem remote works, its not the receiver. I've had no issues with the harmony ultimate through the hub. Can you manually select an input using tge 'device->' input command instead of the programmed activities? If so, it is likely a timing/delay issue om your activity setup.

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
post #2455 of 3319 Old 06-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:

You probably have to adjust your Harmony settings. Things like Repeat Count (whether each command is sent more than once), Inter-device Delay (the pause after sending a command to one device before sending a command to another device to let the 2nd device see it as a new command), Inter-key Delay (the pause between each command sent to the same device), etc.

There's a whole forum here for programmable remotes where the Harmony experts hang out.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #2456 of 3319 Old 06-06-2014, 05:05 PM

Bob, thanks for this. I suspected as much and I will check out the Harmony forum. I had tried the actual forum at logitech but it was not very helpful.
post #2457 of 3319 Old 06-06-2014, 05:11 PM

Pretty sure you are correct about the Harmony timings. Thanks for your response. The receiver works just fine. It replaces a Pioneer Elite sc65 which worked just fine with the Harmony codes as is.
post #2458 of 3319 Old 06-09-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Hi,

Please advise - will the Anthem MRX 310 match the Epos M16i : http://www.stereophile.com/content/epos-m16i-loudspeaker-measurements

Configuration 2 1/2 way
Power Handling 150 W max
Frequency Range 48 Hz – 20 kHz
Impedance 4 Ohm nominal
Sensitivity 87dB/2.83V/1m
Amplifier Compatibility 50 – 200 Watts

The M16i are said to work great as stereo with Creek amps or NAD amps but I am looking for a 5.1 system with good room correction (incl. good LFE correction). 

(The other speakers in the system are: Surrounds: Epos M5 ; Center: Monitor Audio Silver 10i ; Sub: SVS SB 2000)

Will the MRX be too bright or too weak to drive these to their best potential?

Thanks!

Y.K.

post #2459 of 3319 Old 06-09-2014, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I don't think the 310 will have any trouble with those speakers up to about 100db. If you want to play louder than get a 200-250 watt amp or more sensitive speakers.
post #2460 of 3319 Old 06-09-2014, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanec View Post

Hi,

Please advise - will the Anthem MRX 310 match the Epos M16i : http://www.stereophile.com/content/epos-m16i-loudspeaker-measurements

Configuration 2 1/2 way
Power Handling 150 W max
Frequency Range 48 Hz – 20 kHz
Impedance 4 Ohm nominal
Sensitivity 87dB/2.83V/1m
Amplifier Compatibility 50 – 200 Watts

The M16i are said to work great as stereo with Creek amps or NAD amps but I am looking for a 5.1 system with good room correction (incl. good LFE correction). 

(The other speakers in the system are: Surrounds: Epos M5 ; Center: Monitor Audio Silver 10i ; Sub: SVS SB 2000)

Will the MRX be too bright or too weak to drive these to their best potential?

Thanks!

Y.K.

I came from NAD and i think the MRX310 is leaps ahead in dynamics and processing. NAD was flat and dry. MRX310 is just better in all ways. Better sub integration, better dynamics and warmer at high volume.... Less roll off at the ends. Demo if you can

Samsung 65" F7100
Anthem MRX-310 (5.1)
Oppo BDP-103
Von Schweikert - VR-2 main,. LCR-15 Center
Def Tech. - Pro Monitor 800 Surrounds
HSU - VTF-2 MK2 Sub

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem Mrx710 , Anthem Mrx510 , Anthem Mrx310
Gear in this thread - Mrx710 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page